Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper's take on how the Colts should approach the off-season.

Legend of Luck

Call me crazy, but I STRONGLY believe Michael Sam is gonna be an Indianapolis Colt when this thing is over

Was watching the combine & while Sam was doing all his work, always had a camera shot of Chuck Pagano

I think we're gonna pull the trigger on that guy. I'm gonna stick to this prediction until I'm proved wrong

A coach watching a player at the combine is a pretty strong case

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like Kiper was just taking the leading question about the offensive line and started to talk about how the draft shaped up that way. Yes, the line could be improved, but did he consider Thomas and Holmes, who did not even hardly play at all? A center/guard in the 2nd or 3rd round this year is going to be automatically better than Thomas or last year's 4th rounder?

The two biggest needs on the Colts is on defense, a disruptive DE/DT, like a younger Redding, and a LB who can cover somebody and supply a pass rush. I don't think any of the colts' LBs can do that.

I guess I assumed that from a technique standpoint, there wouldnt be a very big learning curve. Is it mostly terminology or is it technique as well?

I can only assume that its because in the NFL guys are bigger, stronger, and faster. Termanology differences and so on. I have always been told from the people in the know that o-line is one of the most difficult positions to transition to the pro's.

I can only assume that its because in the NFL guys are bigger, stronger, and faster. Termanology differences and so on. I have always been told from the people in the know that o-line is one of the most difficult positions to transition to the pro's.

The NFL defensive coordinators Know their stuff, and they know how to expose weaknesses in the BEST of OL personnel as well as QBs...etc.

The kids also do not see pass rushers like Robert Mathis every day either coming with the spin...the speed and the bull rush.... just a little more reason a rookie OL has some sleepless nights :)

I have been watching it every day and Mayock says the same thing at some point every year "This is the deepest draft class in X number of years, When an analyst says that its sometimes a sign that there is no truely elite players at that position

I agree there are no elite C/G available (I don't know about tackles I haven't been looking at them) but there are a lot of guys, especially at the center position that are capable of being day one starters and had in the later rounds (3-5).

We do need a C and could use depth on the offensive line but i think ILB is the biggest need on the team. If i had to rank them in order it would be this.

1. ILB

2. C

3. S

4. CB

5. DE

6. WR 

We dont need a WR this year!!! It is not a position of NEED. Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Brazill, Whalen, and that doesnt even include the hands of Allen/Fleenor. We are good for this year...Find a WR next year. 

Call me crazy, but I STRONGLY believe Michael Sam is gonna be an Indianapolis Colt when this thing is over

Was watching the combine & while Sam was doing all his work, always had a camera shot of Chuck Pagano

I think we're gonna pull the trigger on that guy. I'm gonna stick to this prediction until I'm proved wrong

Can't play OLB? Check. Don't need an OLB? Check.

But because a network that has zero idea what the Colts are thinking, pans over to them you think they'll draft him? I hope he gets picked up when he deserves to, but it won't be by the Colts.

We dont need a WR this year!!! It is not a position of NEED. Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Brazill, Whalen, and that doesnt even include the hands of Allen/Fleenor. We are good for this year...Find a WR next year. 

I agree, but it would be hard to pass on Mathews, Robinson, or Moncrief. It wouldn't surprise me if Grigs did draft a WR.

You wouldn't be drafting a WR for this year -- you would be drafting somebody capable of filling Reggie's shoes next year or the year after.  You shouldn't wait for him to retire before drafting somebody capable of growing into his role.  You take them at least a year earlier and let them develop.  Alshon Jefferies and Josh Gordon are examples of WRs that emerged in their 2nd year.

I'm all for drafting Reggie's replacement vs. obtaining one via FA.  I'd rather have his replacement on a rookie contract when TY (and others) get paid in 2016.  Unless you think Rogers is that guy (and maybe he is), then his replacement isn't on the team right now.

If a Reggie-like receiver slides to the 2nd round then I think you consider it.  I don't think you'd find one much lower than that unless you get lucky.  If you do draft one and both he and Rogers emerges then you'd have the option of trading one.  If only one works out, then you've hedged your bet.

2012-04-19-MelKiper.png

:lol:  :funny:  lmao  Never been a fan of Mel Kiper at all. That Cartoon is freaking priceless Lollygagger! 

We talked obout red flags earlier on Clowney... Here is reaction from Sapp and Mayock for those who were working today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000328668/article/mayock-it-doesnt-matter-what-jadeveon-clowney-ran-in-40

Whoa the HOF Tampa Bay QB Killer just called Clowney's concentration & work ethic less than stellar & Mike Mayock just backed #99 up. Your film tape is your NFL resume not the Combine T-shirt & shorts marathon. Yikes! The eye in the sky tells coaches that his motor does not always run hot at full throttle. Not good at all because Warren & Mike are straight shooters who don't sugarcoat anything. 

More justification for Houston to get a QB & pass on Clowney to me. If you can't trust a pass rusher to bring the heat every down, I don't care how athletically gifted he is. Determination is more important than talent to me. Yes talent matters, but a never say die attitude is crucial to a player's NFL 10-15 year success. 

Any other late round mediocre players you want to make wild, unfounded predictions about?

I honestly wouldn't mind going into the yr with McGlynn as a starting center. I would hope for a free agent signing, but McGlynn was a noticeably better center than Satele. And according to McGlynn, center is his natural position.

Its going to be good oass rushers, lbs and dbs available in the 2nd rnd. I'd prefer to use a draft pick on those positions

He actually wasn't...

Our best strategy is to fill all of our needs in FA, then go BPA in the draft.

That is what we did last year after all.

BPA is in the eye of the beholder, Going BPA is kind of tough if you have a coaching staff thats not willing to exploit that BPA's strengths, I agree with you we should go BPA in the draft but our coaching staff has not really shown consistently that they will play to our players strengths consistently especially on the defensive side of the ball

BPA is in the eye of the beholder, Going BPA is kind of tough if you have a coaching staff thats not willing to exploit that BPA's strengths, I agree with you we should go BPA in the draft but our coaching staff has not really shown consistently that they will play to our players strengths consistently especially on the defensive side of the ball

Of course it is, that's why scouts have jobs. What has that got to do with anything?

Of course it is, that's why scouts have jobs. What has that got to do with anything?

Im just saying that many different people have different ideas of what the BPA was last year, I dont think Werner was the BPA(last year for example)...Not my call

I think the first thing you want to do is figure out how deep this draft is (and possibly rank them in order of the depth with which you perceive them) at each position and determine if you could get a round 3 prospect in round 4 (for example), I have the top 5 deepest positions as follows in this draft in no particular order (My pinion only, Others will vary no doubt)

WR

OLB

S

DT

DE

Those happen to be all needs in various degrees as well, Now in my opinion you can get a solid WR for example down deeper in this draft then you can at any of the above listed positions so I think you set that position aside then you find what you believe to be the 2nd deepest position and for me thats OLB.....Set that position aside. Whats the next position with the most depth? To me thats DE.....Whats the next position? In my opinion its DT...Whats the next position? Safety...So you have in order (in my opinion)

1.WR
2.OLB
3.DE
4.DT
5.Safety

Next I think you want to list your needs in order and for me thats:

1.Center
2.ILB
3.Safety
4.Guard
5.OLB
6.DE
7.DT
8.Scat Back
9.WR

Then I think you have to do 1 of two things:

1.Determine if your going to fit your players around your schemes around the best players that are available OR

#2 are you going to dig deep and weed out what many would consider the BPA's in the draft and instead look for scheme fits? For me Im going BPA and Im tellin my coordinators to fit the plays around the players drafted.....That probably means drafting a smaller player at OLB for example or D Line that dont fit the 34 defense like a glove.....well we are already running multiple defensive looks...why not draft defenders who have a wide array of skill sets?

Next I think you start ranking each player by what round you believe them to be a worthy pick...Then when it comes to your time to draft if you see 2 players rated highly on your board and 1 of them happens to be a need what do you do?.....I still go for the BPA

And none of this is factoring in medical problems showing up on cat scans or mri's at the combine or players that got hurt prior to that and having the possibility of the last game film you saw on them may have been in 2012 or 1-2 games in 2013

Im just saying that many different people have different ideas of what the BPA was last year, I dont think Werner was the BPA(last year for example)...Not my call

I don't see what that has to do with my point. This is clearly implied, no teams board is the same.

I'm not running around hollering for a WR in this draft, but I can't possibly disagree more with your take. Are you really claiming there is no talent in this years draft or FA that would improve the team over Whalen, Rogers or Brazill?

I've been a doubting Thomas about Whalen, and he proved to be better than I anticipated last year, but that does NOT suggest that Grigson couldn't raise the bar at the WR3, WR4 and/or WR5 spots.

There is a reason why Whalen was dropped several times last year. There is a reason not a single other team even glanced his way when he was available. He is what he is: a tough kid with a big heart, who is otherwise very expendable.

We all have high hopes for Brazill and Rogers, but the truth is we don't really know what we have with either, beyond promise and inconsistency. I have a fear that neither can get their heads straight enough to maximize their evident gifts.

I'm not running around hollering for a WR in this draft, but I can't possibly disagree more with your take. Are you really claiming there is no talent in this years draft or FA that would improve the team over Whalen, Rogers or Brazill?

I've been a doubting Thomas about Whalen, and he proved to be better than I anticipated last year, but that does NOT suggest that Grigson couldn't raise the bar at the WR3, WR4 and/or WR5 spots.

There is a reason why Whalen was dropped several times last year. There is a reason not a single other team even glanced his way when he was available. He is what he is: a tough kid with a big heart, who is otherwise very expendable.

We all have high hopes for Brazill and Rogers, but the truth is we don't really know what we have with either, beyond promise and inconsistency. I have a fear that neither can get their heads straight enough to maximize their evident gifts.

People are just thinking Wayne can comeback and be as good as he was after a reconstructive knee surgery at 35 years old + they dont think injuries can happen. We are looking at 1 injury at WR, and we are in trouble because of no depth. Its like people forget how anemic the offense was for like 3 weeks because they remember that one play where the whole bengals D forgot to tackle or Da rick catch and forget Da'Rick had like 2 good games and the rest are questionable.

I dont think we should go WR with our #2, neither that we should tthrow the big bucks to Decker. But depth, is a concern.

People are just thinking Wayne can comeback and be as good as he was after a reconstructive knee surgery at 35 years old + they dont think injuries can happen. We are looking at 1 injury at WR, and we are in trouble because of no depth. Its like people forget how anemic the offense was for like 3 weeks because they remember that one play where the whole bengals D forgot to tackle or Da rick catch and forget Da'Rick had like 2 good games and the rest are questionable.

I dont think we should go WR with our #2, neither that we should tthrow the big bucks to Decker. But depth, is a concern.

Yeah, Wayne is a big part of it. In re-reading my post, it sounds like I'm suggesting the Colts are all good at WR1, but there is significant cause for concern there too... not just in 2014.

Yeah, Wayne is a big part of it. In re-reading my post, it sounds like I'm suggesting the Colts are all good at WR1, but there is significant cause for concern there too... not just in 2014.

I agree. I mean like Rogers potential, but lets be honest. He started 5 games and had 14 rec, thats 2.xxxx per game. and he was erased on the Playoffs except for that 1 big catch vs the Chiefs (he litterally had 1 catch in the PO). I guess thats why people are enamored with him, that BUT, that big play potential.... heck i like him but i cant sit here and say we are set.

As a undrafted FA he might get a look from the Colts . 

To waste a draft pick would  be foolish maybe he can prove something at his pro day so far his on the field skills are average at best .

On the Dari and Mel radio show last Saturday, Mel Kiper did a call in segment where anyone could call in and ask draft/Free Agency questions.

I called in and asked, "Since the Colts do not own a first round pick this year, and we all know that offensive line is their biggest need, would it make more sense for the Colts to sign free-agent lineman and focus on defense in the draft, or to draft lineman with our 2nd and 3rd round picks?"

Mel started by agreeing with me that O-line is by far our biggest need, then went on to say. "This draft is going to work out perfectly for the Colts." He said that there was SO much Center and Guard depth that we will be able to find starters at those positions in the draft. He named a few guys specifically, but I dont remember the names.

So Mel believes we are better off DRAFTING lineman and building the rest of the team through later picks and free agency.

Before, I was thinking of signing veteran free-agent O-linemen and drafting defense, but Mel makes a lot of sense. Lineman have one of the simplest transitions to NFL over college, therefore it makes more sense to draft those positions, especially since there is so much depth.

What do you guys think? Agree? Disagree? 

That sounds good. Kiper is something less than the final authority on the draft in general and the Colts specifically, so I'll hold back my excitement. If Mayock said this, I'd be jumping for joy. But if what he says is true, then it is definitely good news for us.

We have to get a DE/OLB who has the hip flexability to drop back in coverage and has and explosive quick step to pass rush, There is really only 2-3 O Linemen I'd consider in this draft, The O Line is just very average at best. There is no Jonathan Coopers, Chance Warmacks or David Decastros in this draft

I have been watching it every day and Mayock says the same thing at some point every year "This is the deepest draft class in X number of years, When an analyst says that its sometimes a sign that there is no truely elite players at that position

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Hmmmmm....

Mayock & Kiper...

...or...

....this dude.

Yeah.

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

I had 5 positions down before a WR. There are bigger needs on the team but in the 6th round if a WR is there we should draft him for depth.

I wouldn't mind having Sam on the team, he seems like a good kid and has a lot of courage for his coming out, BUT is this young colts team ready for the publicity that is going to come with drafting him? but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a horseshoe helmet, he can play. I went with my gf to a Missouri game ( she is a big Missouri fan) and watching this kid fly around the field and hitting people very hard like. a lot of people would say I am crazy, but I would pick him over clowney. Clowney is one of those types of players who has so much talent, but lacks the hunger to play to his potential and I am hoping for his sake that changes in the NFL. just like I was hoping last year we drafted Mathieu and when we didn't and AZ did, I hoped for the best for that kid because of all the negativity he put on his life and so far has worked out for both him and the Cards.

so if Sam drops to 3rd or 4th round (which I doubt, because NE likes this kid and I can see them taking him in the 2nd) I would like to see him in indy.

I had 5 positions down before a WR. There are bigger needs on the team but in the 6th round if a WR is there we should draft him for depth.

The tall kid from Rutgers Brandon Coleman, do you think he could fall to the 6th round? he has good hands and a good frame. big target for Luck to hit. put him with Rogers, and Fleener in the redzone it makes our passes to the end zone that much better especially since the avg. DB height is like 5'11.

he is 6'6 220lbs

he had his best season in 2012 with 43 catches 718 yards and 10 TD's, but playing for Rutgers you wont get to much stats

I wouldn't mind having Sam on the team, he seems like a good kid and has a lot of courage for his coming out, BUT is this young colts team ready for the publicity that is going to come with drafting him? but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a horseshoe helmet, he can play. I went with my gf to a Missouri game ( she is a big Missouri fan) and watching this kid fly around the field and hitting people very hard like. a lot of people would say I am crazy, but I would pick him over clowney. Clowney is one of those types of players who has so much talent, but lacks the hunger to play to his potential and I am hoping for his sake that changes in the NFL. just like I was hoping last year we drafted Mathieu and when we didn't and AZ did, I hoped for the best for that kid because of all the negativity he put on his life and so far has worked out for both him and the Cards.

so if Sam drops to 3rd or 4th round (which I doubt, because NE likes this kid and I can see them taking him in the 2nd) I would like to see him in indy.

Just curious...why do you think NE would take Sam in the second when there are much better linebacker options.  I would be shocked if BB and the Pats did something that....crazy???  I just do not see that happening in a million years.

The tall kid from Rutgers Brandon Coleman, do you think he could fall to the 6th round? he has good hands and a good frame. big target for Luck to hit. put him with Rogers, and Fleener in the redzone it makes our passes to the end zone that much better especially since the avg. DB height is like 5'11.

he is 6'6 220lbs

he had his best season in 2012 with 43 catches 718 yards and 10 TD's, but playing for Rutgers you wont get to much stats

He is tall......not liking what the experts are saying...we do not need another drop-meister....a la DHB.....

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/02/nfl_combine_2014_draft_experts_break_down_rutgers_wr_brandon_coleman.html

he is 6'6 220lbs

Coleman probably won't fall past the third round.

Coleman ran a good 40 time, he could be there with our pick in the 3rd round because this is a deep draft of WR's but not 6th round. I could see Jarvis Landry falling to the 5th round. 

he is 6'6 220lbs