Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis, Colts deal “far from imminent”

bavanlan

The Colts got just what they wanted when they struck a trade for cornerback Vontae Davis before the start of the 2012 season.

He’s given them two strong seasons with the Colts advancing to the playoffs both times and losing him as a free agent would open up a hole in the defense that the Colts can’t assume they’d fill with a player of similar ability. That explains why the team has called re-signing Davis a priority, although things haven’t heated up much on that front as of yet.

Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star reports that no one should expect “anything concrete” soon as talks between Davis and the Colts are in the early stages of talks. An agreement to keep Davis in town is “far from imminent” as Holder reports the two sides are waiting for a clearer picture of the landscape at the position to reveal itself.

Any franchise tags, re-signed free agents or jettisoned veterans will change the market somewhat and the next real deadline to keep in mind is the March 8 opening of the 72-hour window for players to negotiate with other teams. If nothing’s done before then, there will be some reason to worry about a possible Davis departure.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/report-vontae-davis-colts-deal-far-from-imminent/

None of this bothers me.  Most important line in the entire article:

"An agreement to keep Davis in town is “far from imminent” as Holder reports the two sides are waiting for a clearer picture of the landscape at the position to reveal itself."

It seems like both sides are on the same page, which means both sides are talking and working together.  Their position seems reasonable as to waiting to see how things play out.

5 yr. $40 mil. - make it happen, Grigs.

It's not as hard to agree on a number as much as it is the guarantees.  I hope Grigson is very cautious with the guarantees for V. Davis.  He has the talent, but he doesn't have the personality that I would commit a restrictive amount of guaranteed money to.  If Grigs agrees, this could run a deal off the rails in the early window and force us to compete with the open market.  If another team wants to give V. Davis #1 CB guaranteed money, I say let them as they'll be sending us one of their better players as a cap casualty in future years at a discount.

It's not as hard to agree on a number as much as it is the guarantees.  I hope Grigson is very cautious with the guarantees for V. Davis.  He has the talent, but he doesn't have the personality that I would commit a restrictive amount of guaranteed money to.  If Grigs agrees, this could run a deal off the rails in the early window and force us to compete with the open market.  If another team wants to give V. Davis #1 CB guaranteed money, I say let them as they'll be sending us one of their better players as a cap casualty in future years at a discount.

normally I would agree with this logic, but the Colts are definitely better with Vontae, and Grigs will have his hands full trying to keep the offense intact with 2012's draft class when rookie contracts come up...

If the Colts aquire a few key players they could make a serious push these next two seasons...

What do you mean?  What's there about his personality?

agreed,  from what I've read/heard (can't remember sources etc.) Vontae feels like Indy was the perfect place for him, that the coaches & locker room environment "saved" his career etc., of course those comments could have been just good posturing, but Vontae has shown nothing of the "lazy" player he was reported to be in Miami...

Although I will say he does seem to possess a bit of a comedic streak, (whether that is intentional or not) with his "I want to call Grandma" remark on Hard Knocks, & the hilarious "I've been preparing for Tom Brady all week" comment after his stellar game against Denver...

agreed,  from what I've read/heard (can't remember sources etc.) Vontae feels like Indy was the perfect place for him, that the coaches & locker room environment "saved" his career etc., of course those comments could have been just good posturing, but Vontae has shown nothing of the "lazy" player he was reported to be in Miami...

Although I will say he does seem to possess a bit of a comedic streak, (whether that is intentional or not) with his "I want to call Grandma" remark on Hard Knocks, & the hilarious "I've been preparing for Tom Brady all week" comment after his stellar game against Denver...

I think it's unintentional, which makes it a bit funnier haha

Disclaimer:  Just my antectdotal observations...I don't know the guy and have no way to support my conclusions analytically.  That said, you can observe a lot of tendencies by performance and patterns in someone's journey.  Most here would agree that Vontae is inconsistent - though he has brought a dimension as a lock down corner that we haven't seen much of around here.  He was inconsistent in Miami as well - that is why we have him.  He has responded well to a change of scenery but there are reasons to doubt his self-motivation and core leadership characterstics.  Like many professional athletes, prosperity may not make Vontae a better player - its a human issue, not a V. Davis issue.  All humans are self-destructive, but I want my guaranteed money to go to players like Mathis and Wayne - players with a passion and drive that remains the same regardless of the money.

Disclaimer:  Just my antectdotal observations...I don't know the guy and have no way to support my conclusions analytically.  That said, you can observe a lot of tendencies by performance and patterns in someone's journey.  Most here would agree that Vontae is inconsistent - though he has brought a dimension as a lock down corner that we haven't seen much of around here.  He was inconsistent in Miami as well - that is why we have him.  He has responded well to a change of scenery but there are reasons to doubt his self-motivation and core leadership characterstics.  Like many professional athletes, prosperity may not make Vontae a better player - its a human issue, not a V. Davis issue.  All humans are self-destructive, but I want my guaranteed money to go to players like Mathis and Wayne - players with a passion and drive that remains the same regardless of the money.

It's a question of what drives him; is it the payday or the game?  It's a fair question, but I think the guys who have been around him for going on two years now probably have a pretty good idea.

It's a question of what drives him; is it the payday or the game?  It's a fair question, but I think the guys who have been around him for going on two years now probably have a pretty good idea.

Agreed.  Grigs has the data he needs and Grigs places a premium on character.  If Vontae's deal is reached proactively with modest to high guarantee's I will be very excited, because that likely means that our staff has observed what they are looking for for the long term at a premium position.

I see.  It's fair to say that.  But like bav said, Grigs and those boys probably know him well enough

I think a key thing to keep in mind when trying to judge his past is that he was in MIAMI. We've all seen that team is a team that really was a place where players were in a poor environment. I realize that the new regime there is getting blamed for it but one has to wonder if they inherited some of that.

I don't think he deserves $8 million a year..

I'm happy with giving him 5-6 million a year.

He's inconsistent and doesn't make huge plays frequently.

He's a #1 corner and he will get paid that way.  I too wish he was more consistent but the obvious talent is there, the production is there a majority of the time and that's enough for a team to pay him like a good #1 corner.  If we don't (and I have little doubt that we will) pay him, another team will and we will have given up a #2 draft pick for 2 years and be back where we started at the CB position.  I'd be thrilled if he took 5 to 6 million a year but that's just not realistic given the market.

I don't think he deserves $8 million a year..

I'm happy with giving him 5-6 million a year.

He's inconsistent and doesn't make huge plays frequently.

Unfortunately that's what these guys typically make. It will almost certainly be in the 8 mil per year range. Say what you want about that salary but Vontae is one of the better cover guys in the NFL and he's a big asset to the team so I think he gets top dollar and it wont be 5-6 mil a year.

Vontae has a ton of leverage in these contract discussions. He's a rare breed in the NFL in one of the most important positions on the football field. I hope we sign him and keep him in Indy but the price is going to be high, I hope people realize it. I'm expecting between 8-9 million a year, any more and I would be hesistant but I would still get over it. He's one of my favorite current Colts players and will continue to get better. He's easily the best CB in FA and he loves it in Indy. Maybe we can get a deal and get him for 6-7 mil/yr with a nice signing bonus. 

Vontae has a ton of leverage in these contract discussions. He's a rare breed in the NFL in one of the most important positions on the football field. I hope we sign him and keep him in Indy but the price is going to be high, I hope people realize it. I'm expecting between 8-9 million a year, any more and I would be hesistant but I would still get over it. He's one of my favorite current Colts players and will continue to get better. He's easily the best CB in FA and he loves it in Indy. Maybe we can get a deal and get him for 6-7 mil/yr with a nice signing bonus. 

He's not the best CB in FA, definitely not easily the best. He's among the best, but many would choose Verner or Grimes instead of Vontae, and would be justified. 

If we can get him at four or five years, $7.5m to $8.5m a year, then I'll be okay with that. I'm more interested in the structure of the contract than in the yearly average, assuming the average isn't north of $9m/year.

He's not the best CB in FA, definitely not easily the best. He's among the best, but many would choose Verner or Grimes instead of Vontae, and would be justified. 

If we can get him at four or five years, $7.5m to $8.5m a year, then I'll be okay with that. I'm more interested in the structure of the contract than in the yearly average, assuming the average isn't north of $9m/year.

You think Grimes/Verner are better? Grimes you have an argument, Verner is too iffy in my opinion. I think Vontae definitely has the most potential of any of the CBs and I personally believe he's the best in FA, but I'm sure others have other opinions. I agree though, shouldn't of put "easily"

You think Grimes/Verner are better? Grimes you have an argument, Verner is too iffy in my opinion. I think Vontae definitely has the most potential of any of the CBs and I personally believe he's the best in FA, but I'm sure others have other opinions. I agree though, shouldn't of put "easily"

Ehh, I prefer Davis. Grimes is older, Verner is more consistent (funny you'd call Verner "iffy," when I think Vontae is the one with the major ups and downs), but Davis has more size and probably more potential.

Just pointing out that it's probably a push between those three, depending on who you ask.

Put money in both lines and everyone looks like a pro bowler. Title winning football starts

and ends in the trenches.

Yet you have the Pats who are strong on both lines, but have been lacking at WR, CB and S for several years, and have fallen short because of it. 

I agree that the emphasis should be on the trenches, but those other positions are important as well.

He is consistent.

He will get beat some by a quick blazer and when he plays at less than 100%.

Best and final offers happen as the clock is running out so ho hum.

And Irsay has no problem writing Big checks.

Who was that receiver turned cover 2 corner he paid about $9M per a few years back?

Yet you have the Pats who are strong on both lines, but have been lacking at WR, CB and S for several years, and have fallen short because of it. 

I agree that the emphasis should be on the trenches, but those other positions are important as well.

The Pats are a threat to win it all every year. I'm not saying don't throw other positions a bone every

now and again, just don't get into an auction type bidding war and break the cap on a couple guys

on the roster.

Quality fatties make everyone look better on the field......kinda like Manning makes marginal

receivers look like gang busters. I haven't heard a thing about Dallas Clark since he started

catching passes from another QB.

The Pats are a threat to win it all every year. I'm not saying don't throw other positions a bone every

now and again, just don't get into an auction type bidding war and break the cap on a couple guys

on the roster.

Quality fatties make everyone look better on the field......kinda like Manning makes marginal

receivers look like gang busters. I haven't heard a thing about Dallas Clark since he started

catching passes from another QB.

Yeah, no reason to break the bank for a perimeter player who never touches the ball. My point is just that building from the inside out shouldn't lead to neglecting these other positions, because "the trenches are more important." Doesn't mean CB isn't important also, especially for a team that wants to play a lot of man coverage.

Yeah, no reason to break the bank for a perimeter player who never touches the ball. My point is just that building from the inside out shouldn't lead to neglecting these other positions, because "the trenches are more important." Doesn't mean CB isn't important also, especially for a team that wants to play a lot of man coverage.

Touche' I see your point. No wrong answers here.