Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Decker

oldunclemark

Its always funny when a guy who is certain to recieve an offer from his team says     "Its not al about the money" and  "he has no control over where he plays next"

I'd bet Eric has 'control' over whether he plays in Clevaland next season..

espnapi_dm_140218_nfl_eric_decker_market

Eric Decker says money won't be the only factor when it comes to his decision on whether to re-sign with the Denver Broncos.

"It's not all about the money for me. It's about going to work every day and having fun and enjoying my job," the veteran receiver said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

\

Expected to be one of the top unrestricted free agents available when the market opens March 11, Decker thrived in the Broncos' record-setting offense led by Peyton Manning last season, catching 87 passes for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns. He hauled in 85 passes for 1,064 yards and 13 scores in his first season with Manning in Denver.

Decker, 26, said in the interview that he enjoys the culture around the Broncos and has not closed the door on remaining with the team.

"If we can get on the same page, I will welcome a call from the Broncos, but I need to do what is best for my family," he said.

Edited by 21isSuperman

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money talks, nonsense walks... Another scripted response is all Decker is giving.

How was that a scripted response, He was very upfront in stating he had to sit down and talk about it with his family and agent and do whats best for his family and himself which any player should do, He also said that the Broncos organization that anyone would want to come to...which it seemingly is at least till Peyton retires, He states its a winning organization, which it has been.

How was that a scripted response, He was very upfront in stating he had to sit down and talk about it with his family and agent and do whats best for his family and himself which any player should do, He also said that the Broncos organization that anyone would want to come to...which it seemingly is at least till Peyton retires, He states its a winning organization, which it has been.

It's called political correctness. Don't be naive. The same thing, in varying form, is said by most valued FA's. Its always about the money, because if it wasn't, the Raiders would never have been able to spend any money on anyone. The Raiders haven't done anything in over 10 years yet they somehow continue to lure high price FA's. It's always about the money as it's still a business.

It's called political correctness. Don't be naive. The same thing, in varying form, is said by most valued FA's. Its always about the money, because if it wasn't, the Raiders would never have been able to spend any money on anyone. The Raiders haven't done anything in over 10 years yet they somehow continue to lure high price FA's. It's always about the money as it's still a business.

Dont tell me what Im being, and you should reread my statement again especially the part that goes 'HE WAS UPFRONT IN STATING HE HAD TO SIT DOWN TALK ABOUT IT WITH HIS FAMILY AND DO WHATS BEST FOR THEM AND HIMSELF...Which again any player who thought things through logically would do.......There was nothing politically correct about that statement....Dont be naive

Dont tell me what Im being, and you should reread my statement again especially the part that goes 'HE WAS UPFRONT IN STATING HE HAD TO SIT DOWN TALK ABOUT IT WITH HIS FAMILY AND DO WHATS BEST FOR THEM AND HIMSELF...Which again any player who thought things through logically would do.......There was nothing politically correct about that statement....Dont be naive

It is all about the MONEY -  If it was'nt    ,,  the words home Town Discount comes to mind  words used by players of the Superbowl Champs not heard in Denver that I'm aware of ....

Dont tell me what Im being, and you should reread my statement again especially the part that goes 'HE WAS UPFRONT IN STATING HE HAD TO SIT DOWN TALK ABOUT IT WITH HIS FAMILY AND DO WHATS BEST FOR THEM AND HIMSELF...Which again any player who thought things through logically would do.......There was nothing politically correct about that statement....Dont be naive

Sure you are... If you believe Decker is going to be the guy to take less than what "he" believes he's worth - and somebody WILL pay it, regardless of what he says he's going to do with his "family", you are sorely mistaken.

And extra $1.5 M a year Isn`t that after taxes.

Would you like winning 12 games a year, piling up stats that make you a local hero for the rest of your life, and living in amazing Colorado. Or?

There is lots of $$ to be earned the rest of his life with his Growing Colorado contacts. Yes, it is worth considering playing for less $$$ with Peyton for his next contract.

Would you like winning 12 games a year, piling up stats that make you a local hero for the rest of your life, and living in amazing Colorado. Or?

There is lots of $$ to be earned the rest of his life with his Growing Colorado contacts. Yes, it is worth considering playing for less $$$ with Peyton for his next contract.

I would agree except that Manning only has 1-2 seasons left. His "great" production may fall off the map if Osweiler is a dud.

I would agree except that Manning only has 1-2 seasons left. His "great" production may fall off the map if Osweiler is a dud.

Yip. I`d bet on at least 2 seasons to get Favre`s yard record. All about that rag arm holding up after that i suspect.

And again, as a Hoosier, my vacation time in Colorado would make me think long and hard about leaving there.

The guy IS pretty good but also benefiting a LOT from the pass happy O with PM. He definitely should look to play with another VG QB if he is going to EARN his bigger $$.

I`ll take Reggie!

LOL   :lol:

dude, for real???  the exact statement you repeated and put in bold is the very definition of the politically correct answer.  he basically said nothing.

Does anyone believe that a player who is going to be a free agent waits until the offseason to discuss his future with his family and his agent?

Eric's wife is a cute country music singer....I;m sure they discussed where they want to be long time ago 

..and Decker knows his sustained success is tied to Peyton Manning.,.He'll sign for 3 years....the remaining length of Manning's deal...I'd be shocked if he didn't..

What Eric and the Broncos are waiting on is to make money-cutting decisions on Joel Dressen, Chris Kuper,. Champ Bailey and Knowshon M.

What do you expect Decker to say? Should he have said that he will go to the team that offers the most money? Had he said that, football fans would call him "classless". He responded in what is considered the "classy" (or PC) manner.

Having said that, Justin Tuck told a radio station in NY that money was the #1 factor in his decision to re-sign with the Giants or sign with another team. He was unequivocal in saying that. While I was surprised by that, given that he is such a "classy" guy, I appreciated his candor. I would love Tuck to play for my team but as an NFL fan, I prefer that he remain with the Giants and finish his borderline HOF career in NY/NJ.

Denver has to keep in mind that Demariyus Thomas needs a new contract after the 2014 season and its going to be hard to pay him less than Decker..or even the same amount...

..and then comes Julius Thomas..who is a 3-year vet...I think his deal is up after 2014, too.

The price of success

Denver has to keep in mind that Demariyus Thomas needs a new contract after the 2014 season and its going to be hard to pay him less than Decker..or even the same amount...

..and then comes Julius Thomas..who is a 3-year vet...I think his deal is up after 2014, too.

The price of success

And that is the key. Denver is not going to pay Decker as a #1 because Thomas is their #1. I would think Decker would get #1 money from several teams which is why I expect him to be gone.

I think him and his agent will look at contracts for Pierre Garcon, and Vincent Jackson to set the bar for Decker, and while I wouldn't agree I think a case could be made he should make a bit more than those 2.... 

Jackson got a 5yr-$55 contract in 2012 ($11)

Garcon got a 5yr-$42.5 contract in 2012 ($8.5)

Jackson was 29, the previous 3 years he had 142rec, 2,521yds, 21TDs, and missed 12 games....

Garcon was 26, the previous 3 years he had 184rec, 2,496yds, 16TDs, and missed 4 games...

Decker will be 27, the previous 3 years he had 216rec, 2,964yds, 32TDs, and missed 0 games...

If his agent is any good at what he does, Decker will be getting AT LEAST a 5yr-$50mill deal....

I think him and his agent will look at contracts for Pierre Garcon, and Vincent Jackson to set the bar for Decker, and while I wouldn't agree I think a case could be made he should make a bit more than those 2.... 

Jackson got a 5yr-$55 contract in 2012 ($11)

Garcon got a 5yr-$42.5 contract in 2012 ($8.5)

Jackson was 29, the previous 3 years he had 142rec, 2,521yds, 21TDs, and missed 12 games....

Garcon was 26, the previous 3 years he had 184rec, 2,496yds, 16TDs, and missed 4 games...

Decker will be 27, the previous 3 years he had 216rec, 2,964yds, 32TDs, and missed 0 games...

If his agent is any good at what he does, Decker will be getting AT LEAST a 5yr-$50mill deal....

Its not quite that simple.....Eric can ask to be paid comparable to other bad deal mistakes..

..but he's worth more to  (and will be more effective for) Denver than he would be to

Minnesota..and I think everybody agrees on that..

He's not going to be thrilled playing for $10 mil in Cleveland or Jacksonville and neither is his high profile wife

ED is unlikely to get $10 mil per from Denver//but he could get it from someplace like Seattle which might like to have him instead of Golden Tate..

His best bet is to take a short term Wes Welker type deal from the Broncos

It didn't talk with Welker. The little woman made the call. Just saying there's other factors but like the OP said "he won't be going to Cleveland".

Welker's agent is the one that has cost him. Once a receiver hits 30 the big deals and long term contracts are over. Decker should be able to cash in because he is a better receiver then Welker in terms of his skillset and much younger.

If I was him I would try to sign a 2 yr deal with an option to opt out after 1...say 8 mil per season. That way he would play with Peyton and get paid handsomely and have 1 or 2 more elite seasons...that would set him up for a big payout again before he hits 30 as opposed to say a 4 or 5 yr contract that would put him back on the market when he is 32 or whatever and be looking at 4-5 million likely after playing with other teams. Its a risk health wise but he has been pretty healthy. 

Funny enough lately I've been seeing a lot of writers/pundits tying him to the Colts as an offseason landing spot. I don't think he would land here but he would be a good fit on the outside and a big target for Andrew and would pair up with TY for years to come but more likely the best scenerio to me would be KC and likely Cle and Oak as other options.

Eric Decker will get a Jordy Nelson type of deal. Jordy Nelson got paid $14-15 mil. for 3 years as a #2 wideout when Greg Jennings was still around. So, I expect Decker to get maybe a 4th year tops for 4 yrs. $24 mil., somewhere in that range max. as a #2 wideout commensurate with market value for a #2 wideout.

He will not get #1 wideout money like Mike Wallace or Pierre Garcon etc. especially with a draft having great depth at WR.

The price of success

As teams have shown, you invest the money inside out to win at the highest level in January and February. I am sure Broncos will do that on the OL front.

Eric Decker will get a Jordy Nelson type of deal. Jordy Nelson got paid $14-15 mil. for 3 years as a #2 wideout when Greg Jennings was still around. So, I expect Decker to get maybe a 4th year tops for 4 yrs. $24 mil., somewhere in that range max. as a #2 wideout commensurate with market value for a #2 wideout.

He will not get #1 wideout money like Mike Wallace or Pierre Garcon etc. especially with a draft having great depth at WR.

If you are right....Decker will stay in Denver....I'd go as high as $18 mil for 3 years...because Welker's money is paid after 2014........

..but Eric has to agree that the highest bidder isn't the best deal because his numbers may draw a 9-10 mil offer

You think he is only going to command Brian Hartline money? If he does his agent needs fired....Jordy got his contract in Oct of 2011, when he had accomplished roughly 1,500yds in his 3 year NFL career at that point......  

Decker is another product of manning aka garçon

Garcon? The guy who led the league in receptions this year? And had over 1300yds? That Garcon? 

"If we can get on the same page, I will welcome a call from the Broncos, but I need to do what is best for my family," he said."

Read this line folks....Study it......Look those words up in the dictionary if you have to....Common sense would lead anyone who could put two and two together that he is in fact saying...IF WE CAN GET ON THE SAME PAGE.

Which means he was being upfront....Of course most players are going to go where the money is......Its a busines....He said its a business

you forgot Peytons not this up and coming 20 something year old QB......Life probably wont be all sunshine and roses after Peyton retires unless Osweiler has grown alot as a QB...which is hard to do not getting much playing time during a game (20 passes the last 2 years)

you forgot Peytons not this up and coming 20 something year old QB......Life probably wont be all sunshine and roses after Peyton retires unless Osweiler has grown alot as a QB...which is hard to do not getting much playing time during a game (20 passes the last 2 years)

That's a lot of assuming for 3 years down the road...

Why not just take a 3year deal and catch another 300 passes

"If we can get on the same page, I will welcome a call from the Broncos, but I need to do what is best for my family," he said."

Read this line folks....Study it......Look those words up in the dictionary if you have to....Common sense would lead anyone who could put two and two together that he is in fact saying...IF WE CAN GET ON THE SAME PAGE.

Which means he was being upfront....Of course most players are going to go where the money is......Its a busines....He said its a business

Here's a rule of thumb.....

pay absolutely no attention to any statement made during contract negotiations..

That's a lot of assuming for 3 years down the road...

Why not just take a 3year deal and catch another 300 passes

He could but if some other team that will probably be looking for a WR wants to offer a little more money he might take it, Seattle for instance could be looking for another good WR...especially if Tate and Baldwin leaves. More money to play with Wilson.....I'd be tempted

He could but if some other team that will probably be looking for a WR wants to offer a little more money he might take it, Seattle for instance could be looking for another good WR...especially if Tate and Baldwin leaves. More money to play with Wilson.....I'd be tempted

I would think Carolina would be knocking down his door. They need WR help desperately.

There is some scuttle here that the Pats may be interested but no way they pay him top dollar. They never do for receivers not named Randy Moss.