Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any ideas on who the Colts might draft?

For quite a few years now i try to do a few yearly mock drafts for the colts with me and a couple buddys to see if we are on the same page as the front office or not even close, (usually the later).

I was alright at predicting Polian picks but in Grigsons first draft i only got Luck and last draft you could have handed me 50 chances to say Bjoern Werner in the first round and it would not have happened.

So this year i decided to see what the forum thinks. Any realistic picks with general leads are welcome late round or early as well as random hopes and dreams for players we will never get.

(i will probably re-post this after the draft to see how accurate we are)

The best I ever did was in the draft where I said we should get Marcus Howard, Jacob Tamme, and Mike Hart.

I also remember hoping Dustin Keller fell to us.  I liked Forte more than Ray Rice, but wasn't keen on using an early pick on a RB again.  I liked Cliff Avril too, but was looking at him later.

DaQuan Jones

Kyle Van Noy

Jeremiah Attaochu

Yawin Smallwood

Would all be my first guesses, But I dont think Van Noy falls close to our pick let alone to us, Im still not sold on Smallwood, We can get better then him in the LATE rounds at ILB, More versatile to

A lot of people are mocking O-line but given Grigson's dislike of playing and drafting rookie lineman I don't think he'd do it with Thorton and Holmes on the roster. I think Grigs would go more on the defensive side but it's hard to tell what he will do before the FA signings.

DaQuan Jones

Kyle Van Noy

Jeremiah Attaochu

Yawin Smallwood

Would all be my first guesses, But I dont think Van Noy falls close to our pick let alone to us, Im still not sold on Smallwood, We can get better then him in the LATE rounds at ILB, More versatile to

Jones would be the only one I would like out of this group. I just do not see us drafting an OLBer early in the draft. IMO it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. As far as Smallwood, I see him as a 4-3 MLBer, I think he would need to get considerably bigger to be an effective true 3-4 ILBer. At 6'3" 236, he is pretty lanky and not the thumper we need to pair with Freeman.

Jones would be the only one I would like out of this group. I just do not see us drafting an OLBer early in the draft. IMO it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. As far as Smallwood, I see him as a 4-3 MLBer, I think he would need to get considerably bigger to be an effective true 3-4 ILBer. At 6'3" 236, he is pretty lanky and not the thumper we need to pair with Freeman.

I'm eager to see where Smallwood weighs in. He is listed between 235-244, depending on what site you're looking at.

I don't think he's the thumper we need alongside Freeman, I actually see him as a potential replacement for and upgrade to Freeman, who is an RFA after this season, I believe. Put Smallwood in a timeshare with our other backers -- Conner, McNary -- and I think our ILB rotation would be much better. But it's not a complete fix to the ILB problem. 

I'm eager to see where Smallwood weighs in. He is listed between 235-244, depending on what site you're looking at.

I don't think he's the thumper we need alongside Freeman, I actually see him as a potential replacement for and upgrade to Freeman, who is an RFA after this season, I believe. Put Smallwood in a timeshare with our other backers -- Conner, McNary -- and I think our ILB rotation would be much better. But it's not a complete fix to the ILB problem. 

FA:  Dansby.....OK...I will go back to sleep :)

Agree on Smallwood. I think Attaochus talent is to good to pass up, he can cover in short zones, can rush the passer (explosve first step) and takes good angles, It dont make alot of sense I agree from a numbers perspective since we just drafted Werner but I think Attaochus upside is all around higher then Werners given time in the system, Smallwood can get bigger no doubt and can cover some but I also agree he is not a thumper, Shawn Jackson from Tulsa will go much later at ILB do to being a smaller school prospect but he can cover really well(5 Picks his senior year alone), is versatile (can play OLB/ILB) and is a mean hitter, Problem also with him is he is 6' even...or is listed as that...But over 250lbs

2nd round Prospects

1. Daquan Jones, DE, Penn State

2. Keith Mcgill, CB, Utah

3. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut

4. Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State 

5. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

3rd round Prospects

1. Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee

2. Kelcy Quarles, DE, South Carolina 

3. E.J Gaines, CB, Missouri

4. Demarcus Lawrence, OLB, Boise State    

5. Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor

Yeah, I didn't think of it like that. If he could be an upgrade to Freeman and if they believe McNary could fill the role beside him till Smallwood took over I wouldn't be against that.

Agree on Smallwood. I think Attaochus talent is to good to pass up, he can cover in short zones, can rush the passer (explosve first step) and takes good angles, It dont make alot of sense I agree from a numbers perspective since we just drafted Werner but I think Attaochus upside is all around higher then Werners given time in the system, Smallwood can get bigger no doubt and can cover some but I also agree he is not a thumper, Shawn Jackson from Tulsa will go much later at ILB do to being a smaller school prospect but he can cover really well(5 Picks his senior year alone), is versatile (can play OLB/ILB) and is a mean hitter, Problem also with him is he is 6' even...or is listed as that...But over 250lbs

Don't really know much about Attaochus but Im all for a bigger ILBer that can bring the hurt to people. Aside from our obvious needs on O-line I think ILBer is our biggest need and I hope we can fill it with a true 3-4 guy that can be a stud beside Freeman.

Don't really know much about Attaochus but Im all for a bigger ILBer that can bring the hurt to people. Aside from our obvious needs on O-line I think ILBer is our biggest need and I hope we can fill it with a true 3-4 guy that can be a stud beside Freeman.

The problem I am beginning to have now when it comes to the draft as well as a scheme is this: Trying to fit a certain player into a rigid scheme, Not that I think our scheme is rigid..because I really dont....I'd tinker with a few things...But I dont consider it rigid by any stretch of the imagination, But its clear we need playmakers on defense.....some of those playmakers wont fit the 3-4...some will, Some are 4-3 guys.......So I would rather go for the playmakers and fit the scheme around the players we have instead of trying to hunt for players that fit a particular scheme...Move guys around, put some players hand in the dirt (Mathis...Werner for example), thats the kind of defense I want to see...a versatile defense.....Hard to do however somewhat

The problem I am beginning to have now when it comes to the draft as well as a scheme is this: Trying to fit a certain player into a rigid scheme, Not that I think our scheme is rigid..because I really dont....I'd tinker with a few things...But I dont consider it rigid by any stretch of the imagination, But its clear we need playmakers on defense.....some of those playmakers wont fit the 3-4...some will, Some are 4-3 guys.......So I would rather go for the playmakers and fit the scheme around the players we have instead of trying to hunt for players that fit a particular scheme...Move guys around, put some players hand in the dirt (Mathis...Werner for example), thats the kind of defense I want to see...a versatile defense.....Hard to do however somewhat

Yeah thats difficult to do. I really hope they find guys that fit the scheme instead of drafting guys and switching what they're used to doing(Werner). I just think if we can find guys that can easily adjust to our scheme, even if they aren't the best at their position, that the defense will come together. Whats tough is that to my knowledge their aren't nearly as many 3-4 college teams as 4-3 teams so they really need to do their homework on the guys that come from a 3-4 background.

Yeah thats difficult to do. I really hope they find guys that fit the scheme instead of drafting guys and switching what they're used to doing(Werner). I just think if we can find guys that can easily adjust to our scheme, even if they aren't the best at their position, that the defense will come together. Whats tough is that to my knowledge their aren't nearly as many 3-4 college teams as 4-3 teams so they really need to do their homework on the guys that come from a 3-4 background.

Well they really need to do there homework on 4-3 DE's since there aren't as many 34 teams as 43, They need to find out:

1.Which ones have an explosive first step

2.which ones take good angles to the ball carrier

3.which ones have a good INSIDE move (direct path to the QB AND often the RB)

4.MOST important (although the other things are really dang important) does he have the hip flexability to stop, turn on a time, flip his hips and make a play on the ball carrier AFTER he was already going at the QB...In other words play the run on the way to the QB....I know many value a pass rusher that can get the edge on a tackle....Thats great....Love the speed.....But if you dont have an inside move....especially on a mobile QB or RB....He will just run through the gaping hole left by the outside rush...Free yards.....Maybe alot of them if the ILB is not there or Safety cant bring him down

What do you guys think of Jordan Zumwalt, OLB, UCLA? The reason I am asking that is Arthur Brown was an OLB from Kansas State in last year's draft and now the Ravens are possibly thinking of asking him to play inside. Everyone thought he would go to a 4-3 team, mocked him to the Bears, Falcons etc. but ended up with the Ravens and is doing real well. You go for base athleticism and playmaking abilities, Zumwalt has it, IMO. Unless that person is like a Telvin Smith of Florida State that is a 215-220 lb tweener like Wesley Woodyard of Broncos, you should be able to make playmakers work in most schemes.

At 6'4", 230+, Bradford has very good size and instincts to play inside as weakside ILB while Freeman plays strongside ILB.

Here is a report about Chargers scouts meeting with him: http://boltbeat.com/2014/01/22/ucla-inside-linebacker-jordan-zumwalt/

The Colts only proven pass rusher is the aging Mathis. I have hope for Werner, but there is still a need imo. Personally, I'm falling in love with Marcus Smith of Louisville. The guys has excellent size/speed and plays both standing up and with his hand in the dirt. And he rushes from anywhere...left, right, middle. He seems perfect for this D, but what do o know...

DaQuan Jones

Kyle Van Noy

Jeremiah Attaochu

Yawin Smallwood

or shane skov

Yeah, I didn't think of it like that. If he could be an upgrade to Freeman and if they believe McNary could fill the role beside him till Smallwood took over I wouldn't be against that.

But I would want Smallwood in the third, not at #59. That would be ideal in a trade down.

What do you guys think of Jordan Zumwalt, OLB, UCLA? The reason I am asking that is Arthur Brown was an OLB from Kansas State in last year's draft and now the Ravens are possibly thinking of asking him to play inside. Everyone thought he would go to a 4-3 team, mocked him to the Bears, Falcons etc. but ended up with the Ravens and is doing real well. You go for base athleticism and playmaking abilities, Zumwalt has it, IMO. Unless that person is like a Telvin Smith of Florida State that is a 215-220 lb tweener like Wesley Woodyard of Broncos, you should be able to make playmakers work in most schemes.

At 6'4", 230+, Bradford has very good size and instincts to play inside as weakside ILB while Freeman plays strongside ILB.

Here is a report about Chargers scouts meeting with him: http://boltbeat.com/2014/01/22/ucla-inside-linebacker-jordan-zumwalt/

I question Zumwalts play recognition ability and poor angles at times, Looks good in coverage however, dropping back deep, is a hitter which I like, I think he certainly has playmaking ability and athleticism however, I also question his ability to shed blocks however

No no no, Freeman stays! :funny:  He is not great in coverage but he is not that bad and he brings other good qualities, punches at the ball when he has a guy wrapped up, blitz up the middle. Put a healthy ILB next to him that can cover or take on blocks and were good there as far as starters go, Dont mess with the only playmaking ILB we have...ya add another one

True that Mathis is close to the end and right now is our only real threat at pass rusher but I still don't like the idea of picking an OLBer early. I also believe that if some other area's of the defense are upgraded that it will make our pass rush better. In other words with an upgraded secondary(replacement for Bethea), Toler staying healthy, better ILBer beside Freeman, and more consistent DL play...the pass rush gets better from the guys we have.

True that Mathis is close to the end and right now is our only real threat at pass rusher but I still don't like the idea of picking an OLBer early. I also believe that if some other area's of the defense are upgraded that it will make our pass rush better. In other words with an upgraded secondary(replacement for Bethea), Toler staying healthy, better ILBer beside Freeman, and more consistent DL play...the pass rush gets better from the guys we have.

I would like it very much if Van Noy dropped to us. He's basically an OLB, and would be groomed to eventually replace Walden as a starter (as soon as 2015). But, he could start inside on early downs alongside Freeman, then move outside as a rusher situationally. I think he'd be better in coverage than the guys we have now, as he shows good awareness and has decent range. He's been called a read option killer because of how well he tracks the ball carrier. And he's a better pass rusher than Walden, from both a two-point and three-point stance. He'd be an every down backer for us as a hybrid Mike/Sam, kind of a wildcard defender.