Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

your favorite win of the season

CR91

I enjoyed it thoroughly :)

If you don't want to see him hit the ground then tell him he should retire. This is football. this isn't a bunch of friends meeting out on the field for a fun day of tossing the ball around.

There is a big difference between accepting the fact that he's on another team, and "enjoying it thoroughly".

I saw Sean Phillips have an equally clear shot at former teammate Phil Rivers this year and he chose to wrap him up and pulled him down sideways so that they both hit the ground gently. It happens all the time. With the penalties for roughing the passer and with the importance of QBs to the league, few mature players want to be "the guy" that knocks out a star QB, and if he's been a personal friend for a decade you would think that that would influence his behavior as well.

The thing is, I think that it DID influence his behavior. Mathis was clearly trying to hurt him. It leads me to assume that all those hilarious "kidding" comments by Freeney and Mathis about their frustration in not being able to hit Manning when they were teammates were actually serious. It begs the question, are they really that stupid?

Their being frustrated for years because they weren't allowed to body slam the HOFer who their team was built around suggests that they were jealous of the accolades accorded him, thinking that they as important to the team as him. They weren't. Mathis isn't remotely as important to the team as Luck is now either, would you be equally comfortable with him harboring "revenge"  fantasies against him as well? All athletes have egos, but reality is nice too. Mathis should be ashamed as himself.

Of course there is no accounting for how people think. It makes perfect sense for Colts fans to want the Colts to beat the Broncos regardless of who their QB is, but the extra special joy that some took in it is unsettling. I didn't want them to meet at all, and that was my LEAST favorite game of the year. Why would a Colts fan actively dislike Peyton to the point that he takes pleasure in seeing him physically harmed? Would you kick Bert Jones where it hurts if you passed him in the street? Make a pilgrimage to Baltimore just to spit on Johnny's grave? :Yikes:

I mean if it was Art Schlichter maybe I could understand it :P , but come on man.................

oh god...

Isn't the goal in football to bring the ball carrier to the ground as efficiently as possible? If you can shake the ball loose or lay a shoulder into them so that they'll start hearing footsteps next time, all the better.

But you DON'T grab someone's arms from behind so that they can't cushion their own fall and then drive them face-first into the ground. I obviously can't know for sure what was in Mathis' head, but it was "unsportsmanlike" in every sense of the word - whether a violation of league rules or not. That wasn't even the most efficient way to cause a fumble.

By the way, it worked - it's what won the game for the Colts. Peyton had been effective in the first quarter, but his pass attempts for the next quarter and a half after that his looked weaker than a high school players. As a sports fan, where exactly is that satisfaction in that? This isn't "Rollerball", I want to beat the opposition at their best - not eliminate them.

Isn't the goal in football to bring the ball carrier to the ground as efficiently as possible? If you can shake the ball loose or lay a shoulder into them so that they'll start hearing footsteps next time, all the better.

Yep and Mathis did that.

But you DON'T grab someone's arms from behind so that they can't cushion their own fall and then drive them face-first into the ground. I obviously can't know for sure what was in Mathis' head, but it was "unsportsmanlike" in every sense of the word - whether a violation of league rules or not. That wasn't even the most efficient way to cause a fumble.

I'm sure in that split-second that Mathis and him were falling to the ground Mathis thought, "Hey, i should pin his arm so that he can't cushion himself when he falls!"

The more realistic scenario is that he was just wrapping him up and that's the way it happens.

By the way, it worked - it's what won the game for the Colts. Peyton had been effective in the first quarter, but his pass attempts for the next quarter and a half after that his looked weaker than a high school players. As a sports fan, where exactly is that satisfaction in that? This isn't "Rollerball", I want to beat the opposition at their best - not eliminate them.

It's not what won the Colts the game. What won the Colts the game was physical play from our corners and ability to generate pressure with only 4 pass rushers.

The more realistic scenario is that he was just wrapping him up and that's the way it happens.

It's not what won the Colts the game. What won the Colts the game was physical play from our corners and ability to generate pressure with only 4 pass rushers.

I watched it numerous times and had it in mind while witnessing every other sack the entire season - including those where the QB was "wrapped up" - and I think it was abnormal. Granted, Peyton would do nothing more than tell him "good hit". He's a big boy - I was just very disappointed that Mathis took that tack. Unprovable either way.

The Colts deserved to win - there is a formula for beating Peyton as we all know, and they are trying to build that way. When they are playing other teams I obviously enjoy it. And I'm sure that you are correct about which play did the damage - whoops. (Other teams were targeting his ankles according to the impartial announcers by the way - that's pretty classless too.) 

I'm just saying that those who rejoice as if the win proved something are kidding themselves. The environment and circumstances were just ridiculous. CB injuries certainly were a factor, but both teams had injuries, and the Broncos also moved the ball just fine at the beginning and were getting the better of the game - despite Peyton being injured coming in. After getting sacked he couldn't get anything on the ball and the Colts took over - he's fortunate that the game didn't turn into a rout. When he (literally) got his legs back under himself, it was a whole different ball game. Those weren't garbage points, Peyton was coming. We've all seen it enough times to be on the edge of our seats.

Bottom line - I take exception to the Mathis hit, and to those who rejoice in that game as an extra special - or even vindictive - triumph instead of the surreal mess that it was.

So you enjoyed seeing a Colt legend have his arms pinned while driven helplessly face first into the ground by 250 pounds of muscle moving at a high rate of speed? How nice.

Mathis has long been one of my favorite Colts, but I lost a lot of respect for him on that play - all he had to do was knock the ball loose. I detest "intent to injure" plays regardless of who's involved, but when it's a 37 year old "friend" with neck issues who's so important to the league, it's just selfish, cruel, and classless.

I think I understand where you're coming from here.  I can practically smell the disgust through my computer screen every time this topic comes up.  I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Does it only matter because it was Peyton, or does it matter with every QB he's gotten a strip sack on?  I don't believe there was "intent to injure."  He approaches each QB with the same technique.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap2000000293805/Mathis-mayhem

Peyton and his doctors know what's going on with his neck better than any of the rest of us.  I'm sure he went over the risks with them and his family.  They all know he's not coming out to play patty-cake.

As everyone knows, football is a full-contact sport.  The tackles are why many people watch.  How many viewers complain because too many hits are being penalized or taken out of the game?  And are we worrying about every player's injury or just Peyton's neck?  Don't tackle Ben (Tate) too hard.  His ribs are cracked.  Gently. 

I'll be the first to admit I like watching big hits, but I also cringe when each of those guys hits the ground.  I never want to see any of them injured or carted off the field, but at the same time, injuries are difficult to avoid.  I was scared when I saw Robert lay that hit on Peyton, but Peyton got up and walked away from it.  I didn't expect anybody to treat him with kid gloves.  Once you start doing that, we might as well start up a "cuddle football" league.  (And if we do that, I hope they start a middle-aged women's division.  I'm playing on the OL, by gawd.)

Anyway, I'm really not trying to start any kind of argument about this.  The last thing I want to do is argue.  I will apologize in advance if anything comes off as too sarcastic or snarky.  I've written and re-written this about a billion times.  I have no real sense about how it comes across anymore.

It's not what won the Colts the game.

I'm sure that you are correct about which play did the damage - whoops.

Actually I take back my taking back. I just went and looked at the play-by-play again.

The first sack was obviously a game changer because it resulted in safety and led to a TD, but it also was the demarcation between Peyton being effective (14 points in little more than a quarter - passing all over) and Peyton looking so bad that it reminded one of the prior years first quarter against the Falcons where he had three straight interceptions, and every pass play described by the radio broadcaster I listened to included the phrase "and a wobbly pass to.............". In both cases I felt ill, thinking that some fundamental physical issue was going to ruin him.

The second sack actually took place around the time that he was starting to comeback, and I don't recall it having an impact. By the fourth quarter he was once again "passing all over" rather than just lobbing pathetic quails.

I think I understand where you're coming from here.  I can practically smell the disgust through my computer screen every time this topic comes up.  I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Does it only matter because it was Peyton, or does it matter with every QB he's gotten a strip sack on?  I don't believe there was "intent to injure."  He approaches each QB with the same technique.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap2000000293805/Mathis-mayhem

Peyton and his doctors know what's going on with his neck better than any of the rest of us.  I'm sure he went over the risks with them and his family.  They all know he's not coming out to play patty-cake.

As everyone knows, football is a full-contact sport.  The tackles are why many people watch.  How many viewers complain because too many hits are being penalized or taken out of the game?  And are we worrying about every player's injury or just Peyton's neck?  Don't tackle Ben (Tate) too hard.  His ribs are cracked.  Gently. 

I'll be the first to admit I like watching big hits, but I also cringe when each of those guys hits the ground.  I never want to see any of them injured or carted off the field, but at the same time, injuries are difficult to avoid.  I was scared when I saw Robert lay that hit on Peyton, but Peyton got up and walked away from it.  I didn't expect anybody to treat him with kid gloves.  Once you start doing that, we might as well start up a "cuddle football" league.  (And if we do that, I hope they start a middle-aged women's division.  I'm playing on the OL, by gawd.)

Anyway, I'm really not trying to start any kind of argument about this.  The last thing I want to do is argue.  I will apologize in advance if anything comes off as too sarcastic or snarky.  I've written and re-written this about a billion times.  I have no real sense about how it comes across anymore.

Didn't bother me one iota, and I understand completely. I'd probably pay to watch a middle aged women's division by the way. ;)

I'm proud of Freeney/Mathis' extraordinary accumulation of strip sacks  - the key to many a victory. Most of the time, however, they've involved focusing on knocking the ball free, not the QBs head.  Of course I'm hyper sensitive watching Peyton on the receiving end, but that hit was unusually brutal, It's not that I've never seen Mathis hit someone like that, but it wasn't necessary in the scope of the game, and I would have expected him to make an effort not to hurt his personal friend - as I described Phillips doing earlier (and MANY others on a regular basis).

I don't care for big hits as much as many on here do, and I've gotten into my share of arguments about it. People get excited when a kick returner gets intentionally knocked into next week, and frankly I find the fan reaction to be off-putting. As I alluded to earlier it reminds me of the short story/movie "Roller Ball", in which competition is exaggerated to the point that a mid-game execution is the high point of the event. How about just tackling the guy? The tackler would be less likely to suffer early dementia as well - hows that for a rational thought. A crowd exploding because of a big hit as an opponent lies there trying to make sure that he can still move his limbs is not all that rational. Do people do that after car accidents? I just don't get it.

If you tackle well sometimes people will be hurt. I love playing tackle pick-up games when I was a kid (no pads or helmets of course) - I'm not advocating touch here. I just think that the overt attempts to hurt people need to disappear - before the game itself does.

I would say the Denver game.  At that point, I was feeling that this team could truly be something.  We had just beaten San Fran and Seattle and our defense had looked pretty solid.  

The Kansas CIty play-off game had me pretty frustrated.  We won a game that we had no business being in...

Beating up the 49ers in SF. I hoped for an upset before the game but I did not even expect us to be that physical and good. That was the game that started to make me wonder if this team had a real shot to go all the way.....and it still makes me feel this team has real potential remembering how we played both SF and Seattle.

Well your status update came across as a bit sarcastic.  ;) No worries. I appreciate the thought that you put into it.

However I can't say that I like being pegged as "soft" or something. Hardly the case. Just to clarify, Bob Sanders was a HUGE favorite of mine. His attitude transformed the defense every time he stepped on the field. You can't separate the violence from football. HOWEVER:

Like: Safety coming up in the box to stop a running back cold in an manner that makes him think twice about venturing into that hole again.

Don't Like: A QB with a history of neck issues being blindsided while looking down-field and being buried head first in the turf.

Like: a pulling guard pancaking a linebacker freeing up a rb for a big run.

Don't Like: A 185lb slot receiver stretched out reaching for a ball and meeting a 240lb LB determined not to knock the ball away, but to knock the receiver unconscious. Career ending concussion a bonus.

I could go on, but I assume that you see the difference. "Cuddling" has precious little to do with it.

Oops, thought it was just about the regular season. I would place the playoff win as the best......one of the best comebacks EVER and I flipped my lid! SF for the regular season followed closely by the win over Seattle. I would say the win over Denver but my mood was highly dampened after that game due to Reggie Wayne being out for the rest of the season the next day. The bye week was not as fun as it should have been for us. Horrible injury and I know he will come back strong next year.

Sure losing Bradshaw after the SF game was rough on the run game too going forward but losing Wayne was just painful to see happen.

Well your status update came across as a bit sarcastic.  ;) No worries. I appreciate the thought that you put into it.

I reserve the right to make my status updates as sarcastic and snarky as I wish though this last one was meant as neither.  I was merely amusing myself.  :P

You know,...little kids could be taught cuddle football instead of tackle football.  More mom's may let their sons play.  They can learn tackle in the last year of middle school or just in high school.    :thinking:

I'm telling you, cuddle football is the future!  :yay:

As exciting as the comeback games were, my favorite season win was the SF game. I honestly was worried about that game and had no idea what to expect. They couldn't have played a better game; everything just went Indy's way. It was great to see them dominate SF the way they did.

There is a big difference between accepting the fact that he's on another team, and "enjoying it thoroughly".

I saw Sean Phillips have an equally clear shot at former teammate Phil Rivers this year and he chose to wrap him up and pulled him down sideways so that they both hit the ground gently. It happens all the time. With the penalties for roughing the passer and with the importance of QBs to the league, few mature players want to be "the guy" that knocks out a star QB, and if he's been a personal friend for a decade you would think that that would influence his behavior as well.

The thing is, I think that it DID influence his behavior. Mathis was clearly trying to hurt him. It leads me to assume that all those hilarious "kidding" comments by Freeney and Mathis about their frustration in not being able to hit Manning when they were teammates were actually serious. It begs the question, are they really that stupid?

Their being frustrated for years because they weren't allowed to body slam the HOFer who their team was built around suggests that they were jealous of the accolades accorded him, thinking that they as important to the team as him. They weren't. Mathis isn't remotely as important to the team as Luck is now either, would you be equally comfortable with him harboring "revenge"  fantasies against him as well? All athletes have egos, but reality is nice too. Mathis should be ashamed as himself.

Of course there is no accounting for how people think. It makes perfect sense for Colts fans to want the Colts to beat the Broncos regardless of who their QB is, but the extra special joy that some took in it is unsettling. I didn't want them to meet at all, and that was my LEAST favorite game of the year. Why would a Colts fan actively dislike Peyton to the point that he takes pleasure in seeing him physically harmed? Would you kick Bert Jones where it hurts if you passed him in the street? Make a pilgrimage to Baltimore just to spit on Johnny's grave? :Yikes:

I mean if it was Art Schlichter maybe I could understand it :P , but come on man.................

The fact is, that hit rattled Peyton, the best defense against Peyton is to rattle him. I'm all for anything our defense can do to win games, and if you can rattle Peyton by pinning his arms in and falling on him then i'll be hoping that it happens every play.

I'd say the San Fran win was my favorite. I had predicted to my Dad (he's a 9ers fan) after a gig the night before that the Colts would win by 3. He thought I was nuts. Anyway, the team that Coach Pagano wants to take to the playoffs showed up that day. Defense and Running the ball won that game. I think the reason why it's my fav is because it came on the road and frankly the Colts aren't that good on the road against good teams yet.

2. Broncos. It would have been one, but it happened at home. Mathis stripping Manning might be the Colts play of the year.

3. Chiefs. Was there, it was awesome and fun, but make no mistake the Colts team that got blown out against the Cards and Rams was in full force that day. 

4. Seahawks. A quality win. Andrew Luck > Willson on that day.

You have a lot of good ones

Luck beats his former coach

Colts ruin Peyton's return to Indy

Colts beat the eventual Superbowl champs as we were the only non-divisional team to do so

Sweeping our division

The great comeback against the chiefs.

Its like picking a favorite child impossible I love them all ..