Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetical question, if I told you at this point that Luck would make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you take it?

chad72

Will 1 SB win in the next 10 years make you happy?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. If we make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you be happy?

• Yes, as long as Colts win a playoff game 2 out of 3 times across playoff runs
    • Yes, regardless of what Luck's playoff record is
    • No

Just curious what you all think regarding a long term perspective.

If I told you at this point that Andrew Luck would make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you gladly take it or not?

If his playoff record in the 12 year process (including first 2 years) is 14-7, winning 2 out of every 3 games, will that be acceptable?

I am asking this because I sense the NFC getting stronger and possibly a balance of power shifting like the 80s and 90s though not as lop sided due to the salary cap. We had a run from 1997-2006 where the AFC went 8-2. Ever since 2007, the NFC has been 5-2 with the Steelers and Ravens winning in 2008 & 2012.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in these constant threads and  conversations does the topic flip-flop from

Super Bowl Wins/Losses   are Team  Wins/Losses   

~ to ~

Super Bowl Wins/Losses   are QB  Wins/Losses.....????

Fair or not, we can't run away from it, SB wins add to the resume of a successful QB. They are not the be all but definitely serve as tie-breakers and resume boosters with all other things considered equal.

1 out of 3 wins in a super bowl? NO

Don't get to the big dance if you're not planning to win it or even try (Denver).

Andrew Luck needs to be undefeated in super bowls. I'd rather have him only win 1 & go once than to win 1 & have gone 3 times

Luck is supposed to be the best prospect from college since Elway with the ability to make plays with his legs and arm.

I am sure John Elway did not think about it that way before he finished with 2 SB wins after going 0-3. :)

If I told you at this point that Andrew Luck would make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you gladly take it or not?

If his playoff record in the 12 year process (including first 2 years) is 14-7, winning 2 out of every 3 games, will that be acceptable?

I am asking this because I sense the NFC getting stronger and possibly a balance of power shifting like the 80s and 90s though not as lop sided due to the salary cap. We had a run from 1997-2006 where the AFC went 8-2. Ever since 2007, the NFC has been 5-2 with the Steelers and Ravens winning in 2008 & 2012.

I would take it in a second...

...decent.teams go 10 years without any conference titles...

just ask the Bears and Dallas

Don't get to the big dance if you're not planning to win it or even try (Denver).

Andrew Luck needs to be undefeated in super bowls. I'd rather have him only win 1 & go once than to win 1 & have gone 3 times

I completely disagree.  Making the super bowl is special, even if you lose.  Plus, every super bowl the Colts make it to is another super bowl without the Patriots.  That alone would make me happy.

Hmmm...I am sure John Elway did not think about it that way before he finished with 2 SB wins after going 0-3. :)

After the third Super Bowl loss Elway said something along the lines of, I'll keep losing Super Bowls until I win one. At least I get a chance to win.

In essence he was willing to lose every year because he gets the chance, and will eventually win.

To answer your question, yes. Anyone who says no is ignorant because they don't understand how hard it is to get there.

I would take it in a second...

...decent.teams go 10 years without any conference titles...

just ask the Bears and Dallas

Me too. The main thing I would change from the Peyton era is the one-and-dones, they left a worse taste in my mouth than the fact that we were 1-1 in SBs.

I just sense that we will be running into much stronger NFC teams than in the Peyton years when the AFC was stronger in the early to mid 2000s if we do make it to the SB 3 times in 10 years.

Rethink that, TK

3 conference titles in the next 10 years..

is this thread really more of a "if you could relive the Peyton Manning ride would you"

Yes, it does bring up Peyton's SB W-L record, no question about that.  But it was started to gauge what an acceptable SB W-L record would be in fan's minds. The 1-and-dones that bothered me personally a lot was also factored into an option in the poll to go with the SB W-L record.

However, it is up to fans to self-examine if that is realistic or not. All opinions are however welcome and participation is optional :).

I just look at the Ravens since 2000 and how long it took them to win another one in 2012 after knocking on the doors for so many years and winning playoff games so many years to just come up short often. So it was worthy to have a discussion on what realistic expectations entail.

I'll take that not knowing any alternative.

Think of it this way.  How many teams out there have never won a superbowl.  How many havn't been to a SB in the past 10 years?

And we are sitting here wringing our hands at "only one superbowl win"

Cleveland would give up the next 10 years first round draft picks for 1 superbowl win.  Detroit would sell off their entire city for a SB appearance.

So yes I would take that.  We are truely a spoiled fan base if we wring our hands at "only 1 SB win in 10 years!!" (Not to mention 2 other appearances besides that.)

Of course you would have to take it.  If, as a franchise, you make 5 Super Bowls and win 2 within 20 years, you're way ahead of the curve.  That's comparable to what the Cowboys did in the mid-60's to early 80's, and they're considered by many to be a dynasty.  With that record along with the numerous playoff appearances, the new millenium Colts and those Cowboys teams(America's Team) would be practically indistinguishable. 

I just dont get the "if your team loses in the Super Bowl, the seasons a failure" mentality. What the Buffalo Bills did in the 90's still boggles my mind..4 straight Super Bowls are you kidding me! But, since they lost all 4, those teams are looked at as  failures. If the Colts get to the playoffs on a consistant basis that means pretty much I've enjoyed the season and have been entertained by them....so Im happy.

Of course you would have to take it.  If, as a franchise, you make 5 Super Bowls and win 2 within 20 years, you're way ahead of the curve.  That's comparable to what the Cowboys did in the mid-60's to early 80's, and they're considered by many to be a dynasty.  With that record along with the numerous playoff appearances, the new millenium Colts and those Cowboys teams(America's Team) would be practically indistinguishable. 

In the last 10 years, 14 different teams have played in the SB and 8 different teams have won it.  

So more then half of the teams in the NFL have not been to a SB in the last decade and only a quarter of them have won one in the last decade.  So I would say appearing in 3 and winning 1 wouldn't be so bad.

On top of that we can extend it out. . . 13 teams in the NFL have never won a SB.  (That's 40% of the league that's never won the title)  4 teams (An eighth of the league) has never been there.

The Colts both Baltimore and Indianapolis have 4 SB appearances and are tied for 10th in overall number of appearances and are tied for 8th in number of wins at 2.  

I just dont get the "if your team loses in the Super Bowl, the seasons a failure" mentality. What the Buffalo Bills did in the 90's still boggles my mind..4 straight Super Bowls are you kidding me! But, since they lost all 4, those teams are looked at as  failures. If the Colts get to the playoffs on a consistant basis that means pretty much I've enjoyed the season and have been entertained by them....so Im happy.

Yeah it's funny, if you go to the playoffs every year but fail to get very far in most of those years you are somehow treated as a greater failure then teams like the Browns who can't make the playoffs ever.  

Luck is supposed to be the best prospect from college since Elway with the ability to make plays with his legs and arm.

I am sure John Elway did not think about it that way before he finished with 2 SB wins after going 0-3. :)

Okay, that's Andrew Luck. One man doesn't win a super bowl. Just cause Andrew is great doesn't mean he has the supporting cast for a super bowl.

Peyton was great here & went 1-1 in super bowl games cause of guys like Hank Baskett & Jacob Lacy

I completely disagree. Making the super bowl is special, even if you lose. Plus, every super bowl the Colts make it to is another super bowl without the Patriots. That alone would make me happy.

Patriots are never making the super bowl in the Tom Brady era again anyway. You guys really need to stop putting so much energy into worrying about what the Patriots do & don't do.

And even if they did make it, I don't see New England beating Seattle or San Francisco who'd probably be the NFC representative in the SB

Patriots are never making the super bowl in the Tom Brady era again anyway. You guys really need to stop putting so much energy into worrying about what the Patriots do & don't do.

And even if they did make it, I don't see New England beating Seattle or San Francisco who'd probably be the NFC representative in the SB

So, the Broncos should have not even shown up on the field to play the Patriots since they would have been creamed anyway and Peyton would be 1-2 instead of 1-1 in SBs??? Is that your line of thinking???

If you are afraid of losing or can't handle disappointment, you should never play. So, if Luck loses in a SB, you would rather have him not make it in the first place in hindsight. Great logic!!!

Actually I was looking at that and you are correct.  

From 1975 to 1983 the Cowboys went to the playoffs 9 times.  Won 5 division crowns and 1 SB.  

From 2002 to 2010 the Colts went to the playoffs 9 times.  Won 7 division crowns and 1 SB.  

So because we won more division crowns our streak is actually slightly better then the Cowboys.

I want Luck and the Colts to win championships.  What we went through with Manning and the Colts of old was gut wrenching.  Manning and the rest should have won multiple championships as a Colt and became a dynasty.  With better coaching and better GM management this could have been a reality.  I do not want to see Luck "have" to carry this team like Manning did.  Grigson and Irsay need to get their heads together and build something like they have been talking about.  There is no reason why this cannot happen.  I do not want to see history repeat itself like Brady versus Manning.  Seattle could roll off two more world championships.  Seattle reminds me of the Patriots team that won three world championships.  I do not want to see the discussion of Wilson versus Luck.  I want Luck and this Colts team to win championships so there is no talk.   Luck has carried this team and now it is time for the team to give back to Luck.  Like Wilson said to his teammates, "why not us."  Luck should tell the whole Colts organization the same statement each and every day. 

I want Luck and the Colts to win championships.  What we went through with Manning and the Colts of old was gut wrenching.  Manning and the rest should have won multiple championships as a Colt and became a dynasty.  With better coaching and better GM management this could have been a reality.  I do not want to see Luck "have" to carry this team like Manning did.  Grigson and Irsay need to get their heads together and build something like they have been talking about.  There is no reason why this cannot happen.  I do not want to see history repeat itself like Brady versus Manning.  Seattle could roll off two more world championships.  Seattle reminds me of the Patriots team that won three world championships.  I do not want to see the discussion of Wilson versus Luck.  I want Luck and this Colts team to win championships so there is no talk.   Luck has carried this team and now it is time for the team to give back to Luck.  Like Wilson said to his teammates, "why not us."  Luck should tell the whole Colts organization the same statement each and every day. 

Yes, we all want that.

I just want us to not belittle Luck should he have disappointments down the road in the form of a SB loss. Loss by 3 or loss by 20, it would still be a loss. There will be disappointments, you win some and you lose some.

I just want our fans to maintain a little perspective.

Yes, we all want that.

I just want us to not belittle Luck should he have disappointments down the road in the form of a SB loss. Loss by 3 or loss by 20, it would still be a loss. There will be disappointments, you win some and you lose some.

I just want our fans to maintain a little perspective.

I agree.  If Luck does make multiple Super Bowls I believe he has greater athletic ability than Manning to win multiple times.  Whenever you see Manning with "happy feet" you know it is going to be a long day.  Luck has the ability to run, Manning does not..  I read time again talking about Luck not being good.  Saying Luck is no where near the same talent as Wilson.  I say if Luck was Seattle's quarterback he would have had the same Super Bowl.  People do not realize just how much Luck carried the Colts the past two years.  No offensive line, no run game, one talented wide receiver, and an inconsistent defense.  The reason for all the interceptions is Luck has to force the ball to make something happen.

I completely disagree.  Making the super bowl is special, even if you lose.  Plus, every super bowl the Colts make it to is another super bowl without the Patriots.  That alone would make me happy.

Totally agree. 3 Conference Championships in a career is an amazing Team success record.

Any SB Win is also awesome.

Andrew won`t make it to ANY SBowls if our GM isn`t Hugely successful.

TY is the ONLY pick that sticks out in 2 drafts for our GM.The rest were logical or gimmee`s.

His FA record is ??? at best. This guy watched tape of Satele and HIRED him. If that isn`t a CLUE for you. Pitiful!!!

Andrew is no Dilfer! So we have plenty of HOPE! Go Colts!

I agree.  If Luck does make multiple Super Bowls I believe he has greater athletic ability than Manning to win multiple times.  Whenever you see Manning with "happy feet" you know it is going to be a long day.  Luck has the ability to run, Manning does not..  I read time again talking about Luck not being good.  Saying Luck is no where near the same talent as Wilson.  I say if Luck was Seattle's quarterback he would have had the same Super Bowl.  People do not realize just how much Luck carried the Colts the past two years.  No offensive line, no run game, one talented wide receiver, and an inconsistent defense.  The reason for all the interceptions is Luck has to force the ball to make something happen.

Because he had to force things.

He is SLOW to know where his receivers are going to be (poor reads) and just throws it and hopes quite often, rather than check down.

Terrible about that in year 1. His OC game planned much of that WEAKNESS away from him this year.

Wilson is much Smarter this way NOW. Will Andrews thinking EVER get as fast as Wilson`s is NOW? THAT, is the Unknown.

I wouldn`t expect any big jump next year either. It is just Andrew. Maybe year 4-5.

Manning played with Happy Feet in year 5. Then he did IMO make a serious Jump in toughness and pinpoint accuracy.

5th year in the NFL when A Rogers JUMPED as I recall so it is Fine for Andrew to be where he is at.

What his GM did to him/us on the O-Line has been AWFUL! Inexcuseable!

So, the Broncos should have not even shown up on the field to play the Patriots since they would have been creamed anyway and Peyton would be 1-2 instead of 1-1 in SBs??? Is that your line of thinking???

If you are afraid of losing or can't handle disappointment, you should never play. So, if Luck loses in a SB, you would rather have him not make it in the first place in hindsight. Great logic!!!

I'm not going by my line of thinking. This day in age, QB's are measured by rings. Why? I don't know cause in that logic Eli Manning is better than Peyton which we all know isn't true. Eli sits at the dinner table wishing he could be Peyton.

My logic is super bowl or not, Andrew Luck will be a hall of famer. But my answer to the op was no because if we go 3 times to the big dance & only come put with one, then we've failed. Chuck Pagano said TWO Lombardi trophies. 2 out of 3 not 1 out of 3

One Superbowl win is sufficient validation.  It is extremely difficult to win even one.  I still enjoy the thrill of victory from 2006 and it has made subsequent not-so-successful seasons easier to endure.  We fans here have experienced what it's like to win a Superbowl and there are many NFL fans who will not experience that excitement. In reality, we were lucky to win that one Superbowl.  It could have easily not happened.  What if we don't come back from 21-3 against New England in the AFCCG.

I think what draws the ire of Colts fans is that we SHOULD have won more.  We had Peyton Manning's greatness for over a decade.  Many here, including myself, feel he could have been the GOAT.  But, there have been other greats- Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, etc who never hoisted the Lombardi even once. Other QBs, who were not as good- Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Big Ben, etc won more often.

My point is: Andrew Luck may someday be even better than Peyton Manning and go his whole career without a Superbowl win.  I would take one Superbowl win with Luck and call it a widely successful career. 

Chuck Pagano said TWO Lombardi trophies. 2 out of 3 not 1 out of 3

Wasn't it Irsay that wanted more than 1 ring? I must have missed the part where Pagano said TWO Lombardi trophies. Link???

1 out of 3 is a failure and 2 out of 3 is not??? You just said you wanted Luck to go undefeated, now you say 2 out of 3 is OK???