Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis #12 Free Agent in NFL

Caleb3502

Man, I'd rather see us sign him long term this year. We have cap space and now is the time to do it. Next year isn't.

I agree lock him up, front load it while we have the cap. In our favour as well is there is a number of CBs it seems on the market this year that should hopefully drive down what the going rate is.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting a new topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Eric Decker the Colts have interest in,UmmmmmmmmmmmI am not sold on him as a great receiver ,,,,,,,,,,,,And he'd cost loads to land here in Indy,,I say no,,,,,,,,,,,90% of why he is goodis eytn Manning making him good,Otherwise he is average,and Hence totally not worth the high price tag on him,,,,,Although Luck would make him good also,,,,,,,I still say he is way to much money to get him,,,,,,,,,,,,,Luck could make two other receivers that are good for the same price -and that Luck would make great,,,,,,,,GriffWhalen is not great but Luck is making him beter than he is,,,,,,,,,,I'd love to see another TY Hilton brought in in this draft he s Great already,,,,,,,,,,,And great some OLine F**ing HELP...............And Secondary and a legit pass rusher and Run Stuffer!!!!! It was EMBARASSING how NE. blew us out w/ their run game,,,,,,,,,,,,,And add to te fact that the Refs (didn't call the pass interference when the NE secondary guy knocked Whalen down OR when Vellno (sp) tripped Luck,,,,,,,,,,both those would of given us 1st downs and hey could of led to TDs which would of changed the game,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We always get burned by bad calls................

It's like your brain just vomited all over this post.

I actually dont figure Verner would hit FA, and if he did, i really dont think we would make a concerted effort to bring him in here.  Not until we shore up our other FA's of our own and shore up the larger problem areas before addressing CB.

I have a feeling that we won't pickup any bigger name CBs in FA. I hope I am wrong about this feeling though because when Toler was healthy he looked good but he has had a lot of hard times staying healthy throughout his career.

I agree lock him up, front load it while we have the cap. In our favour as well is there is a number of CBs it seems on the market this year that should hopefully drive down what the going rate is.  

I don't know about driving down the going rate but I think he's worth keeping even if it costs a lot. I like the idea of front loading it to a certain degree because we are going to have more $ this year than we will in a year or two when we have to pay Luck his next contract which will be record setting I'm sure.

I don't know about driving down the going rate but I think he's worth keeping even if it costs a lot. I like the idea of front loading it to a certain degree because we are going to have more $ this year than we will in a year or two when we have to pay Luck his next contract which will be record setting I'm sure.

I was going along the simple rule of supply and demand and there seems a few decent CBs to be had this year in FA (and the draft).

I was going along the simple rule of supply and demand and there seems a few decent CBs to be had this year in FA (and the draft).

The issue, I think, will be that the Colts really want to keep him and I'm sure that Vontae's agent will try to pull as many $ from Jimmy as possible. I'm still confident a deal will get done but I think the deal will be pretty lucrative. Maybe your right though, more top CB's on the market may give the Colts a little leverage.

The issue, I think, will be that the Colts really want to keep him and I'm sure that Vontae's agent will try to pull as many $ from Jimmy as possible. I'm still confident a deal will get done but I think the deal will be pretty lucrative. Maybe your right though, more top CB's on the market may give the Colts a little leverage.

You'd hope but the do like Vontae especially how they seem to want to play man coverage a lot more in the new "monster" D. The ten yard cushion D of your daddy this ain't!

Man, I'd rather see us sign him long term this year. We have cap space and now is the time to do it. Next year isn't.

I think they will still try to do so.  Honestly for most teams now a days the franchise tag is more of a negation tool that is used to keep a guy from talking to other teams than it's used to pay a guy for a year.  I know McAfee played last year under it but the last guy we had play under one was Edge.  The other guys who got a tag later worked out a long term deal.  I would expect Davis to do the same. 

Grimes may sign for Toler money because he is old in age and he small for a DB but he is a great cover corner and so if and when he does test the FA market I think that he won't command a lot of money.

I think he has proven he isn't too small.

Grimes may sign for Toler money because he is old in age and he small for a DB but he is a great cover corner and so if and when he does test the FA market I think that he won't command a lot of money.

Grimes got a 4 year deal from the phins worth 32 million (16 guaranteed)

Vontae (his agent) will ask for at least the same I guess...

448306935_on5nZnDb_c.jpg

We don't need a tight end at all man. Allen and Fleener will be a force next year. You would rather have Talib than Verner or Grimes? Talib is crazy bro. We don't need him around our young players.

Talib can't be that crazy being and staying w/ the Pats when he was there ,,,,,,,,,and still is barring a pick up from a team........He shut down many of the teams best receivers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And tight ends (ie) Jimmy Gramm)..........Many players are crazy but BB made it work for the Pats,,,,,,,,,,,,Grimes signed today and Verner maybe but Talib is proven,,,,,,,,,,,,and tall

Talib can't be that crazy being and staying w/ the Pats when he was there ,,,,,,,,,and still is barring a pick up from a team........He shut down many of the teams best receivers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And tight ends (ie) Jimmy Gramm)..........Many players are crazy but BB made it work for the Pats,,,,,,,,,,,,Grimes signed today and Verner maybe but Talib is proven,,,,,,,,,,,,and tall

And if another TE hybrid WR comes our way in the draft way not

But he may have done that but got burned a number of times by other receivers

In that game, he wasn't.  He did however get burned in other games. It happens. Vontae is a very good corner.  I don't think I'd call him top 5, but I think he is (or at least can be) a top 10 shutdown corner.  If we can improve our pass rush and rush defense, we'd make things much easier for the guys playing coverage.

Davis is one of the top three cbs according to pff largely because he had the highest grade ever recorded against Denver. But even without that game he still graded out as well as Verner.

Cover corners are an expensive and rare commodity. One as young and talented as Vontae will be expensive. Our defense, with the current lack of pass rushing talent will suffer without him.

Letting him get away would be penny wise and pound foolish.

Vontae Davis was PFF’s 3rd highest graded corner in 2013 for the regular season. His +12.8 coverage grade ranked 2nd and he also only allowed 50% of passes thrown his way to be completed. The Colts seem intent on letting Davis test the market. After most likely getting a big raise, we might not be seeing Davis on this undervalued list next year.

2013 Cap Hit: $1.87m

2013 Jahnke Value Model: $11.7m

Value Differential: +$9.83m

I like Talib but since he use to play for the *s I'll pass!! Any FA from any team I'm all for it if it's reasonable and makes us better but from the Belichick? Naaaaa!!!!

I hate Bellicheck also b/c heis a  NE Pat,,,,,,,,,,He did used to be an assistant coach or some kinda coach back w/ the Baltimore Colts ,,,,so give him some love for that and he likes Bert Jones,,,,,,,,,,I just saw a segment on Talib today when he was in the game the receivers were shut down a huge % of the time when he went out the receivers % went way up..............Getting hurt is part of the violent nature of football.......I'd take Talib in a New York second. on the Colts

If Vontae can be consistent, he'd be the best corner in the game.

Yes true Vontae needs consistency in his play,,,,He is terrific many games then gets burned in others --In todays competitive NFL a loss here and there can and will definitely knock you out of the playoff picture Or have you on the road thru-out the playoffs......We don't need a fair-weather corner Or a sun shine solider corner We need a day in Day out corner

And he "gets hurt" every time they are in a big game. 

Did we have Allen this year NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HE GOT HURT<<<<<<<<<<<<............So if he hadn't we'd of had a excellent TE set,,,,,,,,,,,,,But proud of our receievers and TE's they finally picked up the pieces at the end of the season n in the playoffs,,,,,,That'll only make them more experienced and deeper at 2nd and 3rd string this season and more options for the Colts team

When did Talib become Deion Sanders? Good player, but the amount of hype that guy gets goes overboard.

Deon got much hype all his career,,,,,,And even towards the end when he was losing it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,When he being a bad tackler and also getting exploited by bigger receivers was the way to beat him

So the Colts need a TE after drafting 2 in the 2012 draft? Interesting. :thmup:

They sure could of used a 3rd TE last season when Allen went down early in the season AND remember when Bill Polion drafted Dalls Clark we didn't need a TE but Bill was looking 3 yrs down the road ,,Dallas Clark sure was the correct choice wasn't he? :thmup:  :td: