Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

polian too soft

since1984fan

iam tired of polian every year doing nothing in fa. everyone else gets better and colts stay the same. is it the goal just to have a winning season or is it the sb. polian did nothing with the bills and now heis doing nothing with the colts. one sb doesnt make a great team.

The Redskins are an example of what happens when a team uses FA to build a team.

The Patriots only get a guy for one year, a cheap year particularly, and then trade him for what? Draft picks. They build their team through the draft.

In the last six seasons, how many teams have made multiple Super Bowls? 2. The Steelers and the Colts. Why again aren't we a great team? Unlike the Steelers, we haven't missed the playoffs during that stretch. We are always in a position to contend. No other team can say that. The top teams aren't making huge splashes, short of perhaps the Jets. Even then, New England will have a say in their fate.

Threads like these are started only by baseless whiners.

The Redskins are an example of what happens when a team uses FA to build a team.

The Patriots only get a guy for one year, a cheap year particularly, and then trade him for what? Draft picks. They build their team through the draft.

In the last six seasons, how many teams have made multiple Super Bowls? 2. The Steelers and the Colts. Why again aren't we a great team? Unlike the Steelers, we haven't missed the playoffs during that stretch. We are always in a position to contend. No other team can say that. The top teams aren't making huge splashes, short of perhaps the Jets. Even then, New England will have a say in their fate.

We have 1 SB win against the Bears with us having the best QB of all time and even in that game we were losing and had to come from behind to win it. Just because we won a SB doesn't mean that our methods are working.

, Polian was hired as President to try and turn the team around. Polian opted not to keep QB Jim Harbaugh, who had led the team to the AFC Championship game following the 1995 season. Instead, he decided to build through the draft as the Colts would have the number 1 overall pick for 1998, and 2 of the most hyped quarterbacks would be coming out of college. As the '98 draft approached, much hype surrounded the first and second picks, as most people assumed they were going to be Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. Then NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue made the announcement, "With the first overall pick of the 1998 draft, the Indianapolis Colts select quarterback, University of Tennessee, Peyton Manning." Even though the Colts finished 3-13 under Polian's first year as president, there were obvious signs of improvement.

Many Colt fans watching the draft live no doubt anticipated the selection next of the still-available Ricky Williams. But Polian shocked almost everyone by drafting Edgerrin James instead.James would win the rushing title in both his rookie and second seasons by nearly 100 yards and 200 yards resepectively, vindicating Polian's choice. Following the 2005 season, Edgerrin became a free agent and the Colts chose not to sign him to a deal or place the franchise tag on him. This left many Colt fans scratching their heads. However, in the 2006 NFL Draft, Polian drafted possibly the next great Colt runner with the 30th pick in LSU's Joseph Addai. While many talented runners were taken ahead of Addai in Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, and DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai led all rookie runners with 1,081 rushing yards and did so without making a regular season start, playing behind Dominic Rhode.

Despite his penchant for quality drafts, the key to the Colts success may come from Polian's ability to sign free agents, specifically undrafted rookie free agents who would become key contributors. Under Polian's watch, the Colts have signed undrafted or waived rookies such as Jeff Saturday, Dominic Rhodes, Terrence Wilkins, Raheem Brock, James Mungro, Gary Brackett, Ben Utecht, Ryan Lilja, and Melvin Bullitt. Polian also signed Nick Harper and Mike Vanderjagt as free agents from the Canadian Football League.

Polian has rarely signed established free agents away from other teams through big money contracts. He has said that the Colts have no interest in the annual sweepstakes for veteran free agents.

If he see's a player he wants, he will get him. If not he will sit on his hand's as you call it. Colts fan from the day we had a team, and we were down right awful before he got here.If you do not remember those days then you are lucky. The colts are in the best of hands.

, Polian was hired as President to try and turn the team around. Polian opted not to keep QB Jim Harbaugh, who had led the team to the AFC Championship game following the 1995 season. Instead, he decided to build through the draft as the Colts would have the number 1 overall pick for 1998, and 2 of the most hyped quarterbacks would be coming out of college. As the '98 draft approached, much hype surrounded the first and second picks, as most people assumed they were going to be Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. Then NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue made the announcement, "With the first overall pick of the 1998 draft, the Indianapolis Colts select quarterback, University of Tennessee, Peyton Manning." Even though the Colts finished 3-13 under Polian's first year as president, there were obvious signs of improvement.

Many Colt fans watching the draft live no doubt anticipated the selection next of the still-available Ricky Williams. But Polian shocked almost everyone by drafting Edgerrin James instead.James would win the rushing title in both his rookie and second seasons by nearly 100 yards and 200 yards resepectively, vindicating Polian's choice. Following the 2005 season, Edgerrin became a free agent and the Colts chose not to sign him to a deal or place the franchise tag on him. This left many Colt fans scratching their heads. However, in the 2006 NFL Draft, Polian drafted possibly the next great Colt runner with the 30th pick in LSU's Joseph Addai. While many talented runners were taken ahead of Addai in Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, and DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai led all rookie runners with 1,081 rushing yards and did so without making a regular season start, playing behind Dominic Rhode.

Despite his penchant for quality drafts, the key to the Colts success may come from Polian's ability to sign free agents, specifically undrafted rookie free agents who would become key contributors. Under Polian's watch, the Colts have signed undrafted or waived rookies such as Jeff Saturday, Dominic Rhodes, Terrence Wilkins, Raheem Brock, James Mungro, Gary Brackett, Ben Utecht, Ryan Lilja, and Melvin Bullitt. Polian also signed Nick Harper and Mike Vanderjagt as free agents from the Canadian Football League.

Polian has rarely signed established free agents away from other teams through big money contracts. He has said that the Colts have no interest in the annual sweepstakes for veteran free agents.

If he see's a player he wants, he will get him. If not he will sit on his hand's as you call it. Colts fan from the day we had a team, and we were down right awful before he got here.If you do not remember those days then you are lucky. The colts are in the best of hands.

Colts got lucky in getting Manning. The previous year Archie told the NY jets that if they guarenteed they would sign Peyton as the 1st overall pick he would enter the draft. The NY jets declined which allowed the colts to draft Manning #1 overall in 1998.

If we never got manning look @ where azll of our drafting would have gotten us? We'd be a 8-8 team for sure.

your point taken. and all of that and one sb win several first rd loses, patriots three sb and steelers three sb. understand i dont want polian to act like dan snyder and just go after big names. but go get the next piece of the puzzle thats missing just like he did with mcfarland the year colts won the sb

How many teams haven't won any superbowls since Polian's been with the Colts? How many other teams have struggled to just make the playoffs?

I do hear what you are saying. I would like to see the colts win at least one more SB before Manning is done. But spending a bunch of money on free agents doesn't guarantee wins either. I sometimes get frustrated, but this is the philosophy Irsay and Polian have agreed to. Here is Iray's twitter feed: We didn't make a NFL record 9 straight playoff births with bad cap management n dumb signings of other people's problems,we like 2 pay r own

(43,060 Followers -- Jul 28 9:27 PM EST)

Since Manning is nearing the end I would like to see making some big moves maybe next year if the Colts struggle this year. But these guys have a plan and do pretty well overall.

Thanks for posting the great post but some fans always think we should go after other teams cast off's. I think Polian addressed a lot of players that we needed through the draft and still some aren't happy. Oh well he can't make everyone happy and never will but I too remember the lean years before Peyton Manning and I'm betting some of the posters don't even remember those times. As far as the post saying that Archie Manning talked to the Jet's I would have to see a link on that one because until I did I don't believe one word of that at all. First of all that would mean that he would want Peyton to drop out of college in his senior year so the Jet's would draft him. Don't think Archie would ever want or do something like that. JMO of course. Thanks again for the post. From a Long Time Colts Fan. :thanks:

Colts got lucky in getting Manning. The previous year Archie told the NY jets that if they guarenteed they would sign Peyton as the 1st overall pick he would enter the draft. The NY jets declined which allowed the colts to draft Manning #1 overall in 1998.

If we never got manning look @ where azll of our drafting would have gotten us? We'd be a 8-8 team for sure.

Do you have any link or proof of Archie doing this? I would have to see this in writing because if not I don't believe a word of this. Sorry don't see this as official if you can't produce something for others to see what your talking about. Article please............

Well said Doogansquest. I fear though this will primarily fall on deaf ears.

Do you have any link or proof of Archie doing this? I would have to see this in writing because if not I don't believe a word of this. Sorry don't see this as official if you can't produce something for others to see what your talking about. Article please............

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-03-09/sports/1997068188_1_bill-parcells-archie-manning-peyton

That's an interesting article and thanks for posting but no where in that article does it say.

The previous year Archie told the NY jets that if they guarenteed they would sign Peyton as the 1st overall pick he would enter the draft. The NY jets declined which allowed the colts to draft Manning #1 overall in 1998.

The article goes on to something that is a direct contradiction to your statement.

Of course, there's no guarantee Manning would have come out even if Parcells had promised not to trade him. But it was strange for Parcells not to even make a pitch for him.

And you could make that argument for any player on any team... they got lucky to get him because if... Luck is nothing more than the place where hard work and opportunity meet.

That's an interesting article and thanks for posting but no where in that article does it say.

The article goes on to something that is a direct contradiction to your statement.

And you could make that argument for any player on any team... they got lucky to get him because if... Luck is nothing more than the place where hard work and opportunity meet.

My statement was an interpretation of how I saw the events. No doubt some things never made print. You can interpret it any way you want but, IMHO the Jets blew the opportunity to get Manning and he fell into the lap of the Colts.

The Colts aren't the federal govt. They're not in the habit of spending money they don't have and right now they have none.

why not..just raise the debt limit:) Oh wait..the NFL is cap and balance ;)

Thanks for posting the article but I didn't read it or take it the same way you did. But some things can be read in between the lines. Everyone interpets things differently but thanks for being able to post a link.

No problem.

I mean the facts are there and everyone can draw their own conclusions. Archie Manning did call Parcells, Manning had already completed his degree and was eligible for Graduation, he didn't need to take another snap for Tenn. It doesn't take a rocket science to figure out that Manning had the choice of being drafted in 1997 or 1998. I think that if Parcells had been aggressive towards drafting Peyton with Archie we wouldn't be looking at the same Colts we are now...

I will say this for the millionth time... The GM's job is to build teams that are good enough to compete for the Super Bowl. There are several teams every year that are good enough, usually the team that gets hot and healthy at at the right time is the one that does. ( big credit to the Packers last year as they didn't get healthy and still won). It's the coaches and players job to come up with the plan and to carry it out.

GM's can't be judged by Super Bowl records as much as how many Super Bowl caliber teams have they built.

Polians is a first ballot hall of fame candidate. Far from perfect, but his system has definitely worked.

Here's my issue with Polian... his philosophy worked early due to his phenomenal talent at picking great 1st round picks (Manning, Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, etc.) but lately he has been striking out WAY too much (Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes). I think Castonzo will break the bad streak, but only because he's an o-lineman and it's harder to f*** up those kinds of picks. Plus, Castonzo was projected as the best o-lineman in the draft anyways.

Regardless, when your draft picks aren't working for you, you need to start looking towards free agency.

Here's my issue with Polian... his philosophy worked early due to his phenomenal talent at picking great 1st round picks (Manning, Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, etc.) but lately he has been striking out WAY too much (Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes). I think Castonzo will break the bad streak, but only because he's an o-lineman and it's harder to f*** up those kinds of picks. Plus, Castonzo was projected as the best o-lineman in the draft anyways.

Regardless, when your draft picks aren't working for you, you need to start looking towards free agency.

It's not that simple. All of those great first rounders Plus other quality veterans now are playing on pricey veteran contracts. Then there's # 18. We like to see big names but when managing a cap that is actually getting lower, before breaking the bank for Manning, throwing around the money that these free agents are signing for just doesn't make sense.

We don't have the time to develop young players...If we want to win, we need to do it now. Once Peyton is gone, we're done until we get another (at least decent) QB. I'd rather go all in now with a great possibilty of winning a SB than build a team that will be ready to win once Peyton is gone. Chances are, Peyton's replacement won't be able to do it...

i don't think anyone is requesting the colts build thru free agency. but adding a veteran dt at the right price would be nice.

iam tired of polian every year doing nothing in fa. everyone else gets better and colts stay the same. is it the goal just to have a winning season or is it the sb. polian did nothing with the bills and now heis doing nothing with the colts. one sb doesnt make a great team.

every year we dont do anything? whats up with everyone today. Shoot, 9 year playoff run. 1 superbowl win and 1 superbowl apperance. I am not to sure what u expect out of a GM.

Bills= 4 superbowl apperances. enough said.

Cool and i agree with most of what u have said. Except, we had a heck of a offensive line back then. We dont now. We need to do something about all of this.

dont forget 4 losses

It's a GM's job to build the team, it's the players' and coaches' job to win

I will say this for the millionth time... The GM's job is to build teams that are good enough to compete for the Super Bowl. There are several teams every year that are good enough, usually the team that gets hot and healthy at at the right time is the one that does. ( big credit to the Packers last year as they didn't get healthy and still won). It's the coaches and players job to come up with the plan and to carry it out.

GM's can't be judged by Super Bowl records as much as how many Super Bowl caliber teams have they built.

Polians is a first ballot hall of fame candidate. Far from perfect, but his system has definitely worked.

:thmup:

I am not a big fan of caldwell, not sure how much control he really has, pretty well set up before he took the job. But it seems like every time he has to make a decision it is a poor one.

On the perfect season issue. Benching manning against the jets i can not question, Rest the starters, no reason to take the chance. And if he got hurt, we all know with out manning we had no chance of super bowl. But i was completely baffled,and confused by the decision to play manning in the snow against the bills for most of first half, very dangerous. You done threw in the towel on the perfect season at home in a dome. To play him in buffalo in the weather made no since to me at all. Other calls and time outs . That even have manning looking at him with stunned amazement at times.

Anyhow the colts are not perfect, but i do think polian has done an excellent job. And we would be hard pressed to find anyone better. Look at the lions, they are just starting to recover from the Matt Millen calamity. We could do alot worse.We are almost to the point of being spoiled here in indy with polian in front office,and manning at QB.

Some valid points made.We just might be a 8-8 team without #18, or worse. The fact is, we do have him, and the team was built around him. It is hard to win in the NFL. And the colts under polian have done that through the test of time. Granted largely because off #18. But he has not done it alone, great pass protection, marvin harrison, reggie wayne,and dalls clark, to list a few.

And to have that many opportunities to go to the play-offs is nothing short of amazing.

Polian broke down three reasons why he thought the Patriots find success in the draft.

“I would say, three things,” “Number one, they have done a phenomenal job trading. They really have gotten great value for players that either they can live without or don’t fit their system any longer.

“Number two,” he continued, “they have identified the value of picks, almost as though you would value a stock. And they’ve gotten a lot of good players at a low cost. And third, they’ve given themselves repeat ammunition to continue to do that, because they accumulate picks. They don’t use them all in a given year and so they have ammunition to do it again the following year. It feeds on itself.”

“It’s a great strategy,” Polian said. “And the fact of the matter is, they have great players that people want and it works. We’ve watched it carefully, and it’s great. They do a great job. And they’ve rebuilt that team by doing it.“

Polian is not blind, dumb, or complacent. He just has his own way of doing things. Take a long look around the league at other teams, and i hope you can see just how lucky we are to have him.

If you could not tell i like polian.) Looking forward to another fun season.