Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Toler with possibly another setback/ Thursday full injury report

TKnight24

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what he said.

He said "some dudes can play with there body a little off, i can't".   Maybe he means something other then playing through an injury but it seems pretty clear cut to me.

Nice trick, only stating part of the quote to try to make you point.  Here is the entire quore for you, " “Some dudes can play with their bodies being off a little. I can’t. The training staff told me they want me to be 100 percent before I go back out there.”

Here are some other quotes indicating it's the doctor's keeping him out.

"They want to know that if a guy gets by me, I can turn it on and catch him. I respect that. This is one of those situations where I have to be completely healed first.”

"“I’m ready and confident that I’ll be back out there with the guys,” Toler said. “They want me to be at my best."

this thread is embarrassing to Colts fans.  what the heck are some of you talking about?  yes, he has missed a lot of this year... it could happen to anyone!!!  do we not remember Peyton Manning missing an ENTIRE SEASON??  he seems to be playing well now... comparing him to Bob Sanders or calling him injury prone for having ONE groin injury is extremely ignorant.  Have any of you ever pulled your groin?  it is impossible to run with the injury and if you try to run on it too soon, you absolutely will injure it again.  he is just trying to get through this ONE injury and get healthy.

the guy makes a HUGE difference for our D when he is out there.  We arent giving up on the superbowl dream just yet.  we need him in the playoffs at 100%.

this thread is embarrassing to Colts fans. what the heck are some of you talking about? yes, he has missed a lot of this year... it could happen to anyone!!! do we not remember Peyton Manning missing an ENTIRE SEASON?? he seems to be playing well now... comparing him to Bob Sanders or calling him injury prone for having ONE groin injury is extremely ignorant. Have any of you ever pulled your groin? it is impossible to run with the injury and if you try to run on it too soon, you absolutely will injure it again. he is just trying to get through this ONE injury and get healthy.

the guy makes a HUGE difference for our D when he is out there. We arent giving up on the superbowl dream just yet. we need him in the playoffs at 100%.

Stop getting in the way. Metrosexuals must faint over something/anything twice a day.

this thread is embarrassing to Colts fans.  what the heck are some of you talking about?  yes, he has missed a lot of this year... it could happen to anyone!!!  do we not remember Peyton Manning missing an ENTIRE SEASON??  he seems to be playing well now... comparing him to Bob Sanders or calling him injury prone for having ONE groin injury is extremely ignorant.  Have any of you ever pulled your groin?  it is impossible to run with the injury and if you try to run on it too soon, you absolutely will injure it again.  he is just trying to get through this ONE injury and get healthy.

the guy makes a HUGE difference for our D when he is out there.  We arent giving up on the superbowl dream just yet.  we need him in the playoffs at 100%.

My post was a joke. I'm a fan of Toler. I think most of the posts were people just having fun.

Nice trick, only stating part of the quote to try to make you point.  Here is the entire quore for you, " “Some dudes can play with their bodies being off a little. I can’t. The training staff told me they want me to be 100 percent before I go back out there.”

Here are some other quotes indicating it's the doctor's keeping him out.

"They want to know that if a guy gets by me, I can turn it on and catch him. I respect that. This is one of those situations where I have to be completely healed first.”

"“I’m ready and confident that I’ll be back out there with the guys,” Toler said. “They want me to be at my best."

Kinda like you only quoted half in your first response?

At any rate, i guess we are both right then.  He can't play through an injury, even at 90-95 percent healthy, and the trainers agree with him. 

I don't think calling him injury prone is ignorant at all.  He was called injury prone before we even signed him.  He's missed 17 games in 4 years, including 5 last year and 7 this year. Peyton Manning did miss a full season once, but he was also one of the most durable guys to ever play the game for years.  He's also played this year with a high ankle sprain.

At any rate, i guess we are both right then.  He can't play through an injury, even at 90-95 percent healthy, and the trainers agree with him. 

And that's because the physical limitations from the injury would prevent him from being able to properly cover his WR....not because he's soft or weak.

One of the biggest knocks on Toler was being injury prone way before he ever signed with the Colts. Being frustrated that he's missed most of the season with a groin pull is not ignorant at all. I said he was becoming Bob sanders 2 because it seems like every week they say he's on his way back, just to miss the game again. Thats exactly what they use to do with Sanders all the time. My statement was not because I think Toler is made of glass like Sanders was, but because of the teaser of him being back each week just to be disappointed again. You won't find a bigger fan of Toler on the forum than me. I think he's a good #2 CB and can't wait for him to be back healthy, but if he's going to be constantly hurt like he has since being in the league, then we really should move on from him. We waited way too long to rid ourselves of Sanders and we don't need to depend on another guy that is just undependable.

The Sanders comparisons are the worst. He was one of the best defensive players in the history of the franchise. He sacrificed his body for our entertainment and was a big reason we won a superbowl.

I'm sure Toler would rather be playing, but the man just hasn't been healthy. Groin injuries can be pretty brutal, especially for a db.

Where did I only quote half?  And no we arenot both right.  Your quote made it sound like Toler is saying he has to be 100% before he plays.  The actual, real quote shows that it's the trainers want him at 100% before they release him to play.  Big, big difference.

Where did I only quote half?  And no we arenot both right.  Your quote made it sound like Toler is saying he has to be 100% before he plays.  The actual, real quote shows that it's the trainers want him at 100% before they release him to play.  Big, big difference.

My original post i said that Toler has admitted he can't play through injuries like other guys do.   You quoted me and said that is not what he said. Then you said he said the doctors won't clear him till he is 100 percent.   You left out the part where he admits he can't play hurt.

If Toler says he can't play when his body is a little off like other guys, what is it that he is saying exactly?    Keep in mind he said he was 90-95 percent healthy when he made this comment.

My original post i said that Toler has admitted he can't play through injuries like other guys do.   You quoted me and said that is not what he said. Then you said he said the doctors won't clear him till he is 100 percent.   You left out the part where he admits he can't play hurt.

If Toler says he can't play when his body is a little off like other guys, what is it that he is saying exactly?    Keep in mind he said he was 90-95 percent healthy when he made this comment.

Oh my word, even if I explain it to you I doubt you will understand.  In my original post, I did not quote Toler, I summarized the intent of the statement, then I brought in the full quote.  As far as what exactly is he saying?  I think that is pretty clear from the quote, the doctors clear other position even when they are not 100% but because of his injury and the position he plays, the doctors are not going to clear him until he's 100%.  The statement in no way says that it is his choice to not play or that for some reason his body cannot play at less than 100%.  It's the doctors not clearing him to play until he's 100%.  I really don't know how it can be any more clear than it is in the quoted statements.  He even later says

They is clearly the training staff.  He even says, "I respect that."  Not that he agrees with it or he's happy they are that way.  Then he further talks about the situation; which the situation is a groin injury on a player that that often has to turn and get up to full speed in a hurry.  Also indicating that if it was a different type of injury (say like a hand or arm injury) he would not have to be completely healed before the doctors cleared him.

Oh my word, even if I explain it to you I doubt you will understand.  In my original post, I did not quote Toler, I summarized the intent of the statement, then I brought in the full quote.  As far as what exactly is he saying?  I think that is pretty clear from the quote, the doctors clear other position even when they are not 100% but because of his injury and the position he plays, the doctors are not going to clear him until he's 100%.  The statement in no way says that it is his choice to not play or that for some reason his body cannot play at less than 100%.  It's the doctors not clearing him to play until he's 100%.  I really don't know how it can be any more clear than it is in the quoted statements.  He even later says

They is clearly the training staff.  He even says, "I respect that."  Not that he agrees with it or he's happy they are that way.  Then he further talks about the situation; which the situation is a groin injury on a player that that often has to turn and get up to full speed in a hurry.  Also indicating that if it was a different type of injury (say like a hand or arm injury) he would not have to be completely healed before the doctors cleared him.

I understand perfectly.  I took a quote from Toler, and you said he didn't say it.  Except, he did say it.   Now you are writing long novels trying to explain how you are right and what he really meant.  But the fact is simple, he said exactly what i said he did.  Nobody forced him to make that statement, the intent of the statement is pretty obvious to me.  Some guys can play with a banged up body, he can't.  He tried once a long time ago and made it worse.  I don't need you to explain anything to me.  

I understand perfectly.  I took a quote from Toler, and you said he didn't say it.  Except, he did say it.   Now you are writing long novels trying to explain how you are right and what he really meant.  But the fact is simple, he said exactly what i said he did.  Nobody forced him to make that statement, the intent of the statement is pretty obvious to me.  Some guys can play with a banged up body, he can't.  He tried once a long time ago and made it worse.  I don't need you to explain anything to me.  

You did take a Quote from Toler....you took it out of context.  Just like Coffee didn't mean that Toler did not say what you quoted him as saying.  You're taking things too literally.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/2568/toler-wont-return-until-100-percent   <--- link to the interview in question

“I want to be back out there helping my teammates,” Toler said. “Some dudes can play with their bodies being off a little. I can’t. The training staff told me they want me to be 100 percent before I go back out there.” 

That is Toler's full answer to the question.  You took one portion of his answer without taking into consideration the rest of his answer.  When coffeedrinker said 

That is not what he said.  He said the doctors won't clear him to play until he's 100%.

He meant that you misrepresented the meaning of Toler's answer.  

By the way, from a video on the colts website from 12-4-2013, Toler was asked if he wants to be out there on the field helping his team.  He answered:

"I want to play but, you know, it's in the coaches and training staff's hands..."

If you would like to confirm, simply go to the video channels, select Locker Talk and look for the Greg Toler interview from 12-4-2013.

You did take a Quote from Toler....you took it out of context.  Just like Coffee didn't mean that Toler did not say what you quoted him as saying.  You're taking things too literally.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/2568/toler-wont-return-until-100-percent   <--- link to the interview in question

That is Toler's full answer to the question.  You took one portion of his answer without taking into consideration the rest of his answer.  When coffeedrinker said 

Thank you JasonS.  I really don't have enough hair to get involved in these types of threads anymore.

Okay.  I am fully reminded of two famous sayings

“Never argue with an *. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Sarah Cook

“People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the *s in the world.”

Bill Watterson, The Calvin And Hobbes: Tenth Anniversary Book

By the way, from a video on the colts website from 12-4-2013, Toler w'as asked if he wants to be out there on the field helping his team.  He answered:

"I want to play but, you know, it's in the coaches and training staff's hands..."

If you would like to confirm, simply go to the video channels, select Locker Talk and look for the Greg Toler interview from 12-4-2013.

The quote is not out of context at all.

I can't help it that Toler contradicts himself in the same sentence.

"Some dudes can play with there body being a little off, i can't"

I mean really, that statement is clear as freaking day.    What other meaning comes from that statement.   If it were simply the training staffs decision, then Toler doesn't need to make the above statement.

The quote is not out of context at all.

I can't help it that Toler contradicts himself in the same sentence.

"Some dudes can play with there body being a little off, i can't"

I mean really, that statement is clear as freaking day.    What other meaning comes from that statement.   If it were simply the training staffs decision, then Toler doesn't need to make the above statement.

1. He can't play because he is incapable of playing with his body being a little off. 

2. He can't play because the trainers/coaches won't let him (which is exactly what he said in his very next statement)

1. He can't play because he is incapable of playing with his body being a little off. 

2. He can't play because the trainers/coaches won't let him (which is exactly what he said in his very next statement)

Right, which is what i said earlier.   So, he can't perform through injury and the trainers apparently agree with him.

So, me and coffee were both right, even though he tries to say differently (no surprise).

Okay.  I am fully reminded of two famous sayings

“Never argue with an *. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Sarah Cook

“People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the *s in the world.”

Bill Watterson, The Calvin And Hobbes: Tenth Anniversary Book

I'm reminded of a saying too, but it will get me banned.

Like seeing you go with the insults though, after the whipping you just took, i don't blame ya :thmup:

Right, which is what i said earlier.   So, he can't perform through injury and the trainers apparently agree with him.

So, me and coffee were both right, even though he tries to say differently (no surprise).

I'm reminded of a saying too, but it will get me banned.

Like seeing you go with the insults though, after the whipping you just took, i don't blame ya :thmup:

If you say so.  You are a legend!!!!!!!!!