Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats-Colts Game Should Be Flexed Out

chad72

I don't want another 60 pts on us on national TV. Let them flex the Pats-Colts game to 4:15 p.m. ET or 1 p.m. ET

For the sake of the Colts, the Colts fans and the NFL fans as well, they should have one of these games that will happen during that weekend on SNF:

Detroit at New Orleans

Atlanta at Houston

Cincinnati at Pittsburgh

Thoughts???

Edited by chad72

Flexible Scheduling

Implemented in 2006, flexible scheduling allows teams to play their way onto the Sunday night schedule

The season again will utilize "flexible scheduling" in Weeks 10-15 and 17.

In Weeks 10-15, the schedule lists the games tentatively set for Sunday Night Football on NBC. Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved to Sunday night, in which case the tentatively scheduled Sunday night game would be moved to an afternoon start time. Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday or Monday nights.

A flexible scheduling move would be announced at least 12 days before the game. For Week 17, the change will be announced no later than six days before the game. The schedule does not list a Sunday night game in Week 17, but an afternoon game with playoff implications will be moved to that time slot to conclude the season.

The Christmas night game between the Bears and Packers in Week 16 will not be flexed. Flexible scheduling will ensure quality matchups in all Sunday time slots in those weeks and give "surprise" teams a chance to play their way into primetime.

NFL Flexible Scheduling 101

• Begins Sunday of Week 11
  • In effect during Weeks 11-17
  • Only Sunday afternoon games are subject to being moved into the Sunday night window.
  • The game that has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday night during flex weeks will be listed at 8:15 p.m. ET.
  • The majority of games on Sundays will be listed at 1:00 p.m. ET during flex weeks except for games played in Pacific or Mountain Time zones which will be listed at 4:05 or 4:15 p.m. ET.
  • No impact on Thursday, Saturday or Monday night games.
  • The NFL will decide (after consultation with CBS, FOX, NBC) and announce as early as possible the game being played at 8:15 p.m. ET. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the game. The NFL may also announce games moving to 4:05 p.m. ET and 4:15 p.m. ET.
  • Week 17 start time changes could be decided on 6 days notice to ensure a game with playoff implications.
  • The NBC Sunday night time slot in "flex" weeks will list the game that has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday night.
  • Fans and ticket holders must be aware that NFL games in flex weeks are subject to change 12 days in advance (6 days in Week 17) and should plan accordingly.
  • NFL schedules all games.
  • Teams will be informed as soon as they are no longer under consideration or eligible for a move to Sunday night.

Flexible Scheduling

Implemented in 2006, flexible scheduling allows teams to play their way onto the Sunday night schedule

The season again will utilize "flexible scheduling" in Weeks 10-15 and 17.

In Weeks 10-15, the schedule lists the games tentatively set for Sunday Night Football on NBC. Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved to Sunday night, in which case the tentatively scheduled Sunday night game would be moved to an afternoon start time. Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday or Monday nights.

A flexible scheduling move would be announced at least 12 days before the game. For Week 17, the change will be announced no later than six days before the game. The schedule does not list a Sunday night game in Week 17, but an afternoon game with playoff implications will be moved to that time slot to conclude the season.

The Christmas night game between the Bears and Packers in Week 16 will not be flexed. Flexible scheduling will ensure quality matchups in all Sunday time slots in those weeks and give "surprise" teams a chance to play their way into primetime.

NFL Flexible Scheduling 101

• Begins Sunday of Week 11
  • In effect during Weeks 11-17
  • Only Sunday afternoon games are subject to being moved into the Sunday night window.
  • The game that has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday night during flex weeks will be listed at 8:15 p.m. ET.
  • The majority of games on Sundays will be listed at 1:00 p.m. ET during flex weeks except for games played in Pacific or Mountain Time zones which will be listed at 4:05 or 4:15 p.m. ET.
  • No impact on Thursday, Saturday or Monday night games.
  • The NFL will decide (after consultation with CBS, FOX, NBC) and announce as early as possible the game being played at 8:15 p.m. ET. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the game. The NFL may also announce games moving to 4:05 p.m. ET and 4:15 p.m. ET.
  • Week 17 start time changes could be decided on 6 days notice to ensure a game with playoff implications.
  • The NBC Sunday night time slot in "flex" weeks will list the game that has been tentatively scheduled for Sunday night.
  • Fans and ticket holders must be aware that NFL games in flex weeks are subject to change 12 days in advance (6 days in Week 17) and should plan accordingly.
  • NFL schedules all games.
  • Teams will be informed as soon as they are no longer under consideration or eligible for a move to Sunday night.

What he said.

I will want to watch it anyway since I have been advised to start any player against Colts for my fantasy team and they will give you Pro-Bowl players' number. It was a huge consolation to see my teams suddenly outscoring the opponents with all my whatever Saints players starting. So I will go pick up the Pats players and see how they play.

Showing this team on the national TV is a good way to explain why Peyton Manning as the greatest of all time has only 1 SB ring. Those claiming Brady, Rodgers and Brees as better QBs than Manning should now stop. In the sense of taking the worst team in NFL to playoff annually and win 1 SB, Manning is just ridiculously great.

Edited by tonychen

they don't flex games out because how bad one team is. They flex games out towards the end of the season based on playoff odds.\

NE isn't putting up 60 pts nor any other team this season. I'll bet on it:)

The Saints just hung 60 on us, The Patriots are fully capable of doing the same. This game will be as bad as Belichick wants it to be. If he's happy with 45 points, it will be 45 points unless Painter throws another pick six to make it worse.

The Saints just hung 60 on us, The Patriots are fully capable of doing the same. This game will be as bad as Belichick wants it to be. If he's happy with 45 points, it will be 45 points unless Painter throws another pick six to make it worse.

Giving up 60 is the exception, not the norm in the NFL.

Showing this team on the national TV is a good way to explain why Peyton Manning as the greatest of all time has only 1 SB ring. Those claiming Brady, Rodgers and Brees as better QBs than Manning should now stop. In the sense of taking the worst team in NFL to playoff annually and win 1 SB, Manning is just ridiculously great.

If you have to explain then he's not the greatest. It would be, or is, apparent. The colts have been the worst team in the NFL the last 10 years?

rooight.

Giving up 60 is the exception, not the norm in the NFL.

Very true, but it's not like anything in the 50's is that much better. It's not as if Irsay & Company would have given Caldwell an extension if the score remained 55-7. Well maybe he would have.

Barring an injury the Patriots won't be able to help themselves from scoring 40+.

This is like the old Florida vs. Troy State. It will be as bad as Belichick wants it to be and he will or he won't call off the dogs at some point.

We might hit on a quick score, but that is the exception more than the norm for us this year.

Edited by firejimcaldwell

If you have to explain then he's not the greatest. It would be, or is, apparent. The colts have been the worst team in the NFL the last 10 years?

rooight.

Can't you see the logic? Colts has not been the worst in NFL in the last 10 years but I assume it is because of Manning. Removing him we should be among the bottom constantly. You have the proof in front of you now, 0-7 into the season, humiliated by one of the top5 teams, and having no sign of getting better.

Colts with Manning = playoff annually, 1SB win, 1SB loss

Colts without Manning = bottom of the 32 teams

Pats with Brady = playoff annually (I don't think he was the reason they won 3 SBs, his not making huge mistakes was. And that was long time ago.), 1SB loss

Pats without Brady = 0.5 game away from playoff

And well they should be. Imo the more that Irsay and Polian have their noses rubbed in it the better. Bring on the Nationally televised game.

I completely agree. Whatever it takes to bring about some changes.

Edited by Jason

my feeling is that they should flex the game out, or more specifically flex a better game into the 815 PM spot . . . as the colts are not 0-7. . . alas, it is unlikely that the game between our two teams will have playoff implications for both teams, and as such there is probably going be a more juicy game that can be flexed to 815 pm . . . also for what is it worth, IMO the Pats/Colts game has always kind of gotten "special" attention in the last 6 or so years, perhap deservsably so, but it always kind of bug me a tad that we seem to get prime spots, be it SNF, MNF, one of a few games at 415, etc . .. surely other fans wanted to watch . . . but i can also see that some fans of other teams might want to see thier team on at prime time . . . with that said I think given the present circumstances two other teams should have a shot for the 815 slot that night . . .

Can't you see the logic? Colts has not been the worst in NFL in the last 10 years but I assume it is because of Manning. Removing him we should be among the bottom constantly. You have the proof in front of you now, 0-7 into the season, humiliated by one of the top5 teams, and having no sign of getting better.

Colts with Manning = playoff annually, 1SB win, 1SB loss

Colts without Manning = bottom of the 32 teams

Pats with Brady = playoff annually (I don't think he was the reason they won 3 SBs, his not making huge mistakes was. And that was long time ago.), 1SB loss

Pats without Brady = 0.5 game away from playoff

Problem is its not defineable logic.

You can't prove these things (what ifs). You can't prove what happened last year or 5 years ago would have happened this year if PM was playing. I thought the colts would not do well this season before PM was injured..that was just my opinion based on the colts roster and what other teams have done.

We'd like to prove things like say trade places with PM and Brady with the exact same team but that can never happen. So we can't prove anything.

You can't just make blanket steroptype statements that because the colts are 0-7 w/o PM in 2011 that they are a bottom 32 team the last 10 years if they had no PM. He makes them better just as any good QB but that's about all you can say.

Problem is its not defineable logic.

You can't prove these things (what ifs). You can't prove what happened last year or 5 years ago would have happened this year if PM was playing. I thought the colts would not do well this season before PM was injured..that was just my opinion based on the colts roster and what other teams have done.

We'd like to prove things like say trade places with PM and Brady with the exact same team but that can never happen. So we can't prove anything.

You can't just make blanket steroptype statements that because the colts are 0-7 w/o PM in 2011 that they are a bottom 32 team the last 10 years if they had no PM. He makes them better just as any good QB but that's about all you can say.

Yes, I agree. The only thing the Colts going 0-7 being potentially much worse than what the Pats would be without Brady proves is how much of our roster make up was dependent on Peyton, offense and defense more than how it is with the Pats. You magnify it with inferior coaching and the cards come tumbling.

Addition by subtraction can only be better evaluated if the same talent on the Colts were coached by the same coaches that the Pats have.

While Colts fans want to jump on the "addition by subtraction" theory, the Pats fans get tired of jumping on it as well to discredit that notion.

Very true, but it's not like anything in the 50's is that much better. It's not as if Irsay & Company would have given Caldwell an extension if the score remained 55-7. Well maybe he would have.

Barring an injury the Patriots won't be able to help themselves from scoring 40+.

This is like the old Florida vs. Troy State. It will be as bad as Belichick wants it to be and he will or he won't call off the dogs at some point.

We might hit on a quick score, but that is the exception more than the norm for us this year.

I dunno..its hard to predict games in the NFL. I hope we win but it might be 24-17. Having one blowout like 59-0 Titans is too rare to count on anything. Unless you're saying the colts are no better than a HS football team in which case yeah..we'll put up 50:)

Yes, I agree. The only thing the Colts going 0-7 being potentially much worse than what the Pats would be without Brady proves is how much of our roster make up was dependent on Peyton, offense and defense more than how it is with the Pats. You magnify it with inferior coaching and the cards come tumbling.

Addition by subtraction can only be better evaluated if the same talent on the Colts were coached by the same coaches that the Pats have.

While Colts fans want to jump on the "addition by subtraction" theory, the Pats fans get tired of jumping on it as well to discredit that notion.

yeah it'd be nice to switch the coaching to see but as you know we can't.

Personally I think the "this team is built around manning" is a myth.

All teams try to get good players to:

Oline for run and pass block. check. Do the colts draft just a certain type of Oline that only Manning can thrive in?

WRs. They catch. Do the colts somehow get only ones that Manning can throw to?

etc etc.

You could say they build an average team because of a great QB but that makes no sense either. Manning's cap is not so prohibitive that a team can't be built with other good players. As it has infact.

"The defense is built to play with a lead" is another myth. Defenses are built to stop the opponent period. Exactly what type of defense is built that can ONLY play with a lead? You can argue a defense has an edge when they have a lead but thats it.

For the sake of the Colts, the Colts fans and the NFL fans as well, they should have one of these games that will happen during that weekend on SNF:

Speak for yourself.

If I was a fan of any other NFL team, I would want to have another game flexed into the SNF spot because I don't think the Colts/Pats game is going to be at all competetive. Unless they make some drastic changes in the secondary (either personnel or scheme) between now and then, I foresee it being very similar to last night. Not good football for a nationally televised, primetime game.

As a Colts fan, though, I selfishly want the game to be televised nationally so that I can see it, no matter how bad they are. I live in a region where it is very unlikely that I will get to see the game if it is at 1:00 p.m. The SNF and MNF games are typically the only ones I get to see (sometimes the 4:15 games), so I want as many of them as I can get. I won't be surprised if they flex the game and I won't be upset about it or complain about it, but I don't want them to flex the game.

Edited by JCPatriot

I dunno..its hard to predict games in the NFL. I hope we win but it might be 24-17. Having one blowout like 59-0 Titans is too rare to count on anything. Unless you're saying the colts are no better than a HS football team in which case yeah..we'll put up 50:)

New Orleans didn't see a 3rd down play until 8:45 left in the 2nd quarter and it was already 28-0 by then. I could easily see the same thing happen. I'm just glad I put 600 on the over last night. 49.5 600 to win 660. We might hit a quick strike(short pass lots of YAC), but it is not going to be pretty.

The Colts are better than any HS team and but I'm not sure they could be beat LSU or Alabama right now. I doubt they beat them 10 out of 10 times as they should.

I said 45-17 last night. Was off a little bit. and was really thinking more like 52-10 but i tried to give them a little more credit.

yeah it'd be nice to switch the coaching to see but as you know we can't.

Personally I think the "this team is built around manning" is a myth.

All teams try to get good players to:

Oline for run and pass block. check. Do the colts draft just a certain type of Oline that only Manning can thrive in?

etc etc.

You could say they build an average team because of a great QB but that makes no sense either. Manning's cap is not so prohibitive that a team can't be built with other good players. As it has infact.

"The defense is built to play with a lead" is another myth. Defenses are built to stop the opponent period. Exactly what type of defense is built that can ONLY play with a lead? You can argue a defense has an edge when they have a lead but thats it.

LOL! Ha, thats a good one. Yeah the Colts being built around Manning is a myth.... Because Drafting Anthony Gonzalez in the first round was for Reggie Wayne.

This is my absolute favorite post ever. I didn't even realize how good Manning is until this year. I knew he was great, but to carry this team on his back...he's the best ever. How has he not been the MVP for at least the last 7-8 years?

LOL! Ha, thats a good one. Yeah the Colts being built around Manning is a myth.... Because Drafting Anthony Gonzalez in the first round was for Reggie Wayne.

This is what you should have bolded and answered. No one has answered these questions yet.

Not you get WRs to catch from WRs.

You get WRs to catch for the QB. the other 31 teams don't?

So is Gonazalez somehow special that only manning can throw to? If so then yes your team is built around manning assuming the rest of the offense is somehow special in that only manning can operate.

="The defense is built to play with a lead" is another myth. Defenses are built to stop the opponent period. Exactly what type of defense is built that can ONLY play with a lead? You can argue a defense has an edge when they have a lead but thats it.

You're right that this defense wasn't built to play with the lead. You seen that with many games this season they gave up the lead. That defense is built to be a buffer and hope Peyton will lead us to a score and keep the lead.

Edited by Fx Stryker

I don't want another 60 pts on us on national TV. Let them flex the Pats-Colts game to 4:15 p.m. ET or 1 p.m. ET

Detroit at New Orleans

Atlanta at Houston

Cincinnati at Pittsburgh

Thoughts???

It's called PRIDE bro......

Does this team have it?