Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Gronkowski torn ACL, MCL, out for season

GoColts8818

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's had a bit of a history with injuries (back, forearm, hip, shoulder?) ,but I think the ACL is a new one.

Not good. He might come back 100% from this, but all of these things are going to eventually take a toll. Even if he's not the same, I'd take an 80 or 90% Gronk over any other TE in the NFL.

Pats will get another legit TE, maybe two for next season via draft or FA or a trade. Have to at this point. Gronk will not be 100 percent probably at any point next season.

Too early to tell how Gronk will recover, he's still young.

I agree the Pats will likely go for a TE or two this offseason through some means.

too bad about the injury and thank you all for the well wishes . . . have to wait and see how he is next year . . .I was kind of afraid of this type of injury coming, as Gronk is large and DBs are small, he has been hit low many times and has also dragged DBs which might result I an ankle injury . . .

hopefully he will come back as good next year, we have to wait and see how the operation goes . . .

too bad about the injury and thank you all for the well wishes . . . have to wait and see how he is next year . . .I was kind of afraid of this type of injury coming, as Gronk is large and DBs are small, he has been hit low many times and has also dragged DBs which might result I an ankle injury . . .

True that.

When two or more people are draped over you pulling/twisting/hittng in different directions it's much more likely to cause injury. (As opposed to a standard tackle.)

There was nothing dirty about that hit. The guy was trying to take down a larger player running at full speed. Defensive players are so handcuffed by the rules now, and if he went high on Gronk he would have bounced off him anyway. 

It's very unfortunate for New England, but I don't fault the DB who made the tackle. I'm quite sure these guys aren't out to injure each other.

How about if the NFL made a new rule, you must tackle with your arms?  Arms/hands must be the first body part to contact a ball carrier. That might stop these CBs and safeties from launching themselves at people.  If the game is going to survive, the NFL must figure out a way to make it less violent.

I think something similar (not as drastic) to that will probably be next.  Possibly, if you go low, your helmet cannot be the first item to make contact with the receiver immediately upon securing a catch. They'll keep adding and refining, but the up high head shots will never return.

Chris Carter put it this way.  He essentially said that things are changing, be ready for it best you can (low hits).  But if you suffer the Gronk ACL/MCL combo, at least he woke up fine mentally this morning.  It's not like he tried to take his daughters to soccer practice, and forgot how to get there mid route. (Tony Dorsett - CTE)

So unfortunate, yes.  Expected, yes.  Many predicted this was coming.  Let's see how the league handles it, and players amongst themselves.

Very unfortunate. Hopefully he will recover well and be ready for 2014, along with Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer, etc-etc. Dang the Patriots have a virtual all-pro team on IR right now! 

I do like the way the team kind of rallied after he got hurt. Brady fumbled on the next play but they came out fighting. This shouldn't be quite as painful as the early part of the season since they have Vereen back and a relatively healthy combo of Amendola and Edelman to go with the rookie WRs (though both Dobson and KT are injured too, hopefully they will be back soon). Josh Boyce looked good yesterday and played his best game of the season too. 

They definitely need to draft another big, athletic TE. They probably would have done that in April if they knew what was coming with Hernandez.

hopefully he will come back as good next year, we have to wait and see how the operation goes . . .

Bad luck really. Gronk was in no man's land as far as being a defenseless player and because he was still stumbling forward he couldn't prepare for the hit. He may be injury prone, but not many knees are going to survive that hit.

Bad luck really. Gronk was in no man's land as far as being a defenseless player and because he was still stumbling forward he couldn't prepare for the hit. He may be injury prone, but not many knees are going to survive that hit.

I take it from your avatar you lost a bet?

Pats will get another legit TE, maybe two for next season via draft or FA or a trade. Have to at this point. Gronk will not be 100 percent probably at any point next season.

Well, if there's any silver lining at all, it's that all the injuries were to different extremities, and of course the spinal.  I'm not sure what his risk of reinjuring his arm or spine are, but assuming that he's fully healed for the most part, he probably won't have too many future knee issues unless he takes another freak hit to the knee.  It's not like he's blocking on the interior OL with bodies being twisted all the time or a RB running through traffic.  TEs aren't at quite the same risk.  If anything, the accumulating injuries may shorten his career in its entiretiy, but he'll still be very productive between now and then.

There was nothing dirty about that hit. The guy was trying to take down a larger player running at full speed. Defensive players are so handcuffed by the rules now, and if he went high on Gronk he would have bounced off him anyway. 

It's very unfortunate for New England, but I don't fault the DB who made the tackle. I'm quite sure these guys aren't out to injure each other.

That's not true on your last sentence.  Brandon Meriweather and Bernard Pollard have publicly said they play to injure, same with James Harrison.  And don't forget "Bounty Gate".

Anyone can tackle a taller bigger person by bear hugging them around the legs.

If the Pats pick a TE in the draft it will be a waste.  They need to use draft picks to build their defense.  They need a top D-lineman because we don't know if Wilfork will be ready for the start of next season or will even play next year or will he back back 100%?  Alfonzo Dennard will most likely be suspended a few games next year too so they won't have one of their corners, he also could be cut by the Pats over that.  Looks like Dont'a Hightower could be a bust.

That's not true on your last sentence.  Brandon Meriweather and Bernard Pollard have publicly said they play to injure, same with James Harrison.  And don't forget "Bounty Gate".

Anyone can tackle a taller bigger person by bear hugging them around the legs.

If the Pats pick a TE in the draft it will be a waste.  They need to use draft picks to build their defense.  They need a top D-lineman because we don't know if Wilfork will be ready for the start of next season or will even play next year or will he back back 100%?  Alfonzo Dennard will most likely be suspended a few games next year too so they won't have one of their corners, he also could be cut by the Pats over that.  Looks like Dont'a Hightower could be a bust.

I think Meriweather and those guys are more the exception than the rule. Neither of us play in the NFL so we don't really know, but I get the idea that players are cognizant of each other's health and welfare... it does no one any good to see star players get injured. And it's not like the Browns would have had motivation to "take Gronk out" of the game. Even if they won they aren't going anywhere and they know it. 

And while your point about drafting defense is true, I would not mind seeing them take a flier on a TE who can solidify the position a little in terms of depth. I was hoping that'd be Sudfeld but he was a preseason aberration apparently. I'm not necessarily talking about using their first round pick on one, and if a viable FA is available they could go that route too, but right now the position is so thin that it would surprise me if the TEs left on the roster catch 10 balls for the rest of the season. They need a little depth there, and who knows if Gronk will be ready in September. Odds are he will be, but we all know how last offseason went. 

I think Meriweather and those guys are more the exception than the rule. Neither of us play in the NFL so we don't really know, but I get the idea that players are cognizant of each other's health and welfare... it does no one any good to see star players get injured. And it's not like the Browns would have had motivation to "take Gronk out" of the game. Even if they won they aren't going anywhere and they know it. 

And while your point about drafting defense is true, I would not mind seeing them take a flier on a TE who can solidify the position a little in terms of depth. I was hoping that'd be Sudfeld but he was a preseason aberration apparently. I'm not necessarily talking about using their first round pick on one, and if a viable FA is available they could go that route too, but right now the position is so thin that it would surprise me if the TEs left on the roster catch 10 balls for the rest of the season. They need a little depth there, and who knows if Gronk will be ready in September. Odds are he will be, but we all know how last offseason went.

I have to disagree on players being mindful on looking out for one another. Thru the years there have been bounties, clear head hunting, etc. I have no doubt before the recent rule changes players tried to hurt the QB.

I have to disagree on players being mindful on looking out for one another. Thru the years there have been bounties, clear head hunting, etc. I have no doubt before the recent rule changes players tried to hurt the QB.

I'm sure that's true, but I'm also pretty sure we're talking about a vast minority of players. The Browns' players, to their credit, were high-fiving and offering encouragement to Gronk as they got him off the field. It was a bang-bang play and yes, the guy went low, but no, I don't think he said, "I'm gonna go tear his ACL right now" and dove. 

That defender hit Gronkowski in the knee because he wanted to..not because of rules..

The much repeated theory that if you cant hit in the head that you MUST hit in the knee is just slot from players and explayers.

Players don't want to tackle.....

There are more options than the head and the knee

Quoted for truth. Fact is you don't see Rugby players tackle in such a manner. They wrap up around the waist properly. Why don't we take all the pads off and play it that way....people wouldn't be throwing their bodies around....that or we can go to pop warner rules where players of certain sizes are the only ones allowed to carry the ball...that way players wouldn't have to resort to such manners in which to bring a player down. I know those are both crazy ideas but if the league wants to be safe measures need to be taken. We know its going to happen and in this case probably nothing could have been done but unless we are willing to try to get serious about PEDs and actually testing for HGH the players will keep getting bigger, faster, stronger and the hits/force of blows will continue to rise causing more injuries. I know it sounds crazy but its that or limit how big these guys can get and carry the ball/play certain positions or get rid of all the pads all together and play an american style rugby. 

I'm sure that's true, but I'm also pretty sure we're talking about a vast minority of players. The Browns' players, to their credit, were high-fiving and offering encouragement to Gronk as they got him off the field. It was a bang-bang play and yes, the guy went low, but no, I don't think he said, "I'm gonna go tear his ACL right now" and dove.

I don't believe he was thinking that either and players rarely go after the knees, but head hunting and using the helmet as a weapon was a clear problem before the rule changes.

I thought the Patriots dealt a huge blow in the off season with Hernandez. Sure you can say letting go of Welker was dumb, but the TE's dominated that offense, that's why they let Welker go to begin with. No one had any idea he was going to get himself in deep water and screw up their offense.

Gronk going down kills it for me. Might as well just hand Denver the Lamar Hunt trophy cause now it don't look like anyone is going to stop them sadly.

I thought the Patriots dealt a huge blow in the off season with Hernandez. Sure you can say letting go of Welker was dumb, but the TE's dominated that offense, that's why they let Welker go to begin with. No one had any idea he was going to get himself in deep water and screw up their offense.

Gronk going down kills it for me. Might as well just hand Denver the Lamar Hunt trophy cause now it don't look like anyone is going to stop them sadly.

The way Denver's defense is playing, I wouldn't pencil them in for a championship yet. Seems like they're always playing from 1 or 2 scores behind (which they are easily able to erase because of deferring at the coin toss, and then they rip off 14 straight points at halftime when they get two possessions in a row). That usually tends to come back and bite you in the playoffs.

There is only so much a team can overcome.

A team can only give out so many big contracts for core players that are the pillars of the team.  They have lost nearly every one of their top players/salaries/captains...

Wilfork = done for year.. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap.. team captain

jerod mayo = done for year.. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap..  team captain

Sebastian Vollmer = done for year. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap.  all pro RT and big FA signing from last year.

Gronk = done for year. one of highest paid on team vs salary cap. all pro & one of nfls biggest super stars.. cannot be replaced.

tommy kelly = done for year.. big veteran DT signing to sure up defensive line..  

They also have Aaron Dobson and Thompkins injured right now...  so the offense has Edelman and Amendola as its #1 and #2 WR, with Boyce (rookie) and Collie providing depth.. and basically no tight ends on the roster to speak of.

Marcus Cannon was injured and he was replacing Vollmer on at RT.. so now we're on our 3rd string RT. Brady is the 6th most sacked QB in the league this year already.

Dennard has been injured in the secondary, Talib has been nursing a hip flexor...

The only star talent the Patriots have left on their team now is Brady, Mankins, McCourty and Chandler Jones..  with an argument made for Talib i suppose as well.. but its going to be difficult starting 5 rookies on defense and starting 2-3 WRs a game that are rookies, along with some rookie no name Tight Ends.

If Brady can manage to keep winning with these circumstances.. its pretty clear that hes the MVP, but he doesn't have any chance to actually win the award.

The league better look out next year though when they get all of these guys back from injury...  they're going to be out for blood.

If not for the Manning star wars numbers Brady might be the top MVP candidate. He's done a nice job keeping them competitive.

Trying to take out a player's legs is a punk as% pus%^ move no matter who it is.  I read people saying that Gronk was bigger so they should go for his legs.  lol  I bet these are the same people who were saying if they were Jonathan Martin they'd stand right up to Incognito and go toe to toe with him.  Be a man and tackle a bigger man the right way just like they do in rugby.  Diving for someone's legs just because they're bigger than you makes you the bad guy and you're a coward.  You're just a little shi% who's acting no different than some dirty 12 year old hood rat playing ghetto ball.

This is why defensive players should be forced to play offense.  They should be subjected to being hit too.

They are so screwed now without Gronk. They have struggled enough without him, this ends their season.

When they lost the convict over the off season it really was a death blow to them.

We'll see Bogie. Brady still threw for 418 yards, only 32 to Gronk.

Remember the name Matt Mulligan, a fellow Mainer.  He's the Patriots new #1 tight end. Brady will make him a household name. You heard it here first. :yeahright:

If Patriots don't start changing their culture to be a more physical emotional team with a better D than they're going to continue to be a team that goes 12-4 or 13-3 in the regular season and lose in the playoffs or super bowl to more physical teams that actually have real defensive coordinators that have more power in the team.

Time for Belichick to relinquish some powers and hire a GM and a better D coordinator.

We'll see Bogie. Brady still threw for 418 yards, only 32 to Gronk.

Remember the name Matt Mulligan, a fellow Mainer.  He's the Patriots new #1 tight end. Brady will make him a household name. You heard it here first. :yeahright:

I wonder why the cut what's his name. The TE with long blonde hair that looked like a Viking. Pretty good in preseason. I saw him on some team recently.

If Patriots don't start changing their culture to be a more physical emotional team with a better D than they're going to continue to be a team that goes 12-4 or 13-3 in the regular season and lose in the playoffs or super bowl to more physical teams that actually have real defensive coordinators that have more power in the team.

Time for Belichick to relinquish some powers and hire a GM and a better D coordinator.

It has nothing to do with our defensive coordinator..  They lost both defensive captains (the only defensive captains) in Mayo and Wilfork which is an insane loss of talent and leadership right up the gut of the defense.  They lost Tommy Kelly the other veteran DT that was playing solid and was a big free agent pickup for them.  

They were playing 5 rookies on defense against the Browns..   5 rookies...  trying to play in a complex defense with a complex game plan..   What did you think was going to happen?

Trying to take out a player's legs is a punk as% pus%^ move no matter who it is.  I read people saying that Gronk was bigger so they should go for his legs.  lol  I bet these are the same people who were saying if they were Jonathan Martin they'd stand right up to Incognito and go toe to toe with him.  Be a man and tackle a bigger man the right way just like they do in rugby.  Diving for someone's legs just because they're bigger than you makes you the bad guy and you're a coward.  You're just a little shi% who's acting no different than some dirty 12 year old hood rat playing ghetto ball.

This is why defensive players should be forced to play offense.  They should be subjected to being hit too.

You don't watch much football do you?

Sudfeld, that's it

They need to get away from this whole TE predicated offense which they seem to be doing with the bigger WRs Dobson and Boyce and Thompkins. To have that much of their O predicated on one position makes no sense especially since Gronk has only played one full season in 2010.