Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Saints Post Game Comments (Merge)

jhcutt

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if drew brees and the saints can put up numbers like this against our D, i cannot wait too see what brady does...lol

It is a scary thought, but there's a difference between their offense. The Saints are scary-better on offense (as Brees has caught and surpassed Brady in nearly every statistical category), and rely on adjustments made at the line. The Patriots offense has slowed down the last few weeks, and relies more on a surplus of time to make connections. In the Brees era, the Saints are dominant after a loss. The Patriots won't put up 62 on us.

I would actually go so far as to say Brees is a better in-game general than Brady, and relies less heavily on boatloads of time and one wide open player as a result.

Do you really think a rusty 35 year old Manning could come back and win with this pathetic team? Did you not watch armageddon tonight in New Orleans? By the time Manning comes back this season, if he does come back, half of the team will be on the IR (most of them volunteering to be on the IR).

Manning could win. But he likely won't choose to play this year. He's got to do what's best for him.

Pull off some big plays. Obviously, coaching isnt entirely responsible for the failures of this team. But think about the colts golden years all the different things coaches would throw at us to try and win, when they knew they were huge underdogs. But they adjusted, and gameplanned accordingly. something our coaches dont do.

Things like:

-onside kicks (after halftime, or right after the TD before the half)

-Trick plays or any new wrinkles to the offense. be creative. we dont have peyton. we can be vanilla and win. adjust!

-Going for it on 4th down once in a while.

- Defense needs to take some risks. id rather give up a few deep balls and have a few shots at turnovers/sacks etc than let them complete 8-12 button hooks all the way down the field. Again, no peyton. We cant count on LETTING them score 24 knowing we will get 28. Yes, we may give up more by blitzing and taking risks. But at least there is a scenario where, on the right day we could get enough lucky bounces to win a game. Sitting and letting teams trample us waiting for them to mess up is a bad strategy when we have peyton. But it is NEVER gonna work without him.

You cant continue to play the way we did when we had peyton. things are not the same without him. you have to do things you normally wouldnt if we want to win.

Thoughts?

Pains me to say this, but Miami is a much better then we are

I can't agree with this. Did we get pasted by the Saints? You betcha. The Dolphins don't have championship caliber players like we do, and their coaches may actually be worse than ours.

They have no excuse either. They've been in rebuilding mode 4 times in the last decade, and have had high draft picks almost the entire way.

Total embarrassment. I say rebuild...starting with the coaching staff. Yes...ultimately Caldwell is responsible for the way the team performs. But his coaching staff isn't making it any easier on him. Christiansen calls the same 10 plays all game (hence the reason the offense seems ineffective in the 2nd half). Coyer is a complete joke of a dc. Special teams is horrible. Cornerbacks coach somehow couldn't work with Tim Jennings...who went to the Bears to be one of their strongest corners. And let's not forget that the whole defense, aside from Freeney, Angerer, and Powers is built with undrafted free agents and late round picks. Sure...sometimes you get lucky with Bethea and Mathis...but when 2 of your starting linebackers, most of your corners, your safety, and your defensive line are drafted late...all the while the offense is so stacked with top picks that some of them just warm the bench...Id say there's a problem of lopsided talent. Forget Luck...trade it away and get some draft picks to help this pathetic excuse for a defense. Even Manning, in all his greatness, wouldn't have won this game tonight.

Do you really think a rusty 35 year old Manning could come back and win with this pathetic team? Did you not watch armageddon tonight in New Orleans? By the time Manning comes back this season, if he does come back, half of the team will be on the IR (most of them volunteering to be on the IR).

What a mindless piece of writing....

Where are all the posters who have been defending this coaching staff and front office?

The coaching staff deserves some flak. The Front Office built a franchise that has made it to more Super Bowls the last 5 years than anyone else; save a tie with Pittsburgh.

We are bad this year not because of talent, not because of scheme, but because of game planning, a lack of adjustments, and no on-the-field leadership in the big moments of games where we've had a shot.

i completely agree and have been saying this to myself for awhile... so many times when we played teams that were worse than us by alot would throw every and any kind of play at us. were coming out acting like we still got peyton under center and doing same old. we need to take more chances, and might as well since were done for the season at this point

I think back to the beginning of the season and the team was feeling disrespected because everybody said the Colts are a one man team. I think you can see it in their faces it is starting to sink in that it is true. Next will be how long before there becomes divisions in the locker room. Most importantly is next year when Peyton is back will they have lost any swagger they have had.

With Peyton, we would be 5-2 right now. Even with Manning, we still get beat by 21+ tonight. Our defense is a complete joke.

I can't agree with this. Did we get pasted by the Saints? You betcha. The Dolphins don't have championship caliber players like we do, and their coaches may actually be worse than ours.

They have no excuse either. They've been in rebuilding mode 4 times in the last decade, and have had high draft picks almost the entire way.

:spit:

Pray tell, where are these "championship caliber" players you speak of? Did they forget to make the trip?

And ours isn't? Only * keep playing prevent type pass defense for 4 downs all year long.

Hopefully one day we will be able to look back on tonight's performance as the catalyst that helped to get Caldwell & Coyer out of here.

Not intentionally, we're doing it because we don't know better.

They're doing it on purpose.

Let me be the first to say it this week:

Luck.

But Miami may be too much fail t overcome...

I am unbelievably tired of hearing about this kid. All of you "Suck for Luck"ers have absolutely NO idea what the needs of this team are. Andrew Luck will not be the magical savior of this Colts defense...and that IS what we need. SOMEONE ON DEFENSE! Luck would not have changed the outcome of this game. Having one more 1st round pick on our bench to keep the thing warm with Gonzo, Brown, and Hughes is the last thing in the world this team needs. If we happen to get the 1st overall...trade it away for more picks in later rounds and stack the defense with six 3rd round or higher players. Not to mention...the spread offense in a conference known for having weak defenses does not mean he's the next Peyton Manning. You are so blinded by the hype around this kid...I'm surprised you can see yourself in the mirror. (Rant over) Painful to watch this one...but I love my Colts and that won't change

Not intentionally, we're doing it because we don't know better.

They're doing it on purpose.

Sorry I don't believe that. Who knows we just may be doing a better job of disguising it than the Dolphins are. Saints showed what happens when you play defense like that. We are playing a flawed defense and we are virtually incapable of winning because of it. Yet we still keep doing the same thing game after game. I wonder why...no not really. lol Peyton is great but no way should this team be sucking to this magnitude. Pride went out the window tonight. Sorry...it all smells "fishy" to me.

I know right?

Bill Belichick is going to tea off against us and simulate certain scenarios, like Brady simulating an injury and their backup QB coming in during a 2-min drill. Things like that. In short, we will be Belichick's punching bag.

62 to freakin 7. We are probably the laughing stock of the league right now. All Jim had to say in the post game that I heard is that we need to just keep plugging along?????? He should be fired TOMORROW not at the end of the season. Somebody has to be held accountable for this and I'm taking about Coyer as well.

I am unbelievably tired of hearing about this kid. All of you "Suck for Luck"ers have absolutely NO idea what the needs of this team are. Andrew Luck will not be the magical savior of this Colts defense...and that IS what we need. SOMEONE ON DEFENSE! Luck would not have changed the outcome of this game. Having one more 1st round pick on our bench to keep the thing warm with Gonzo, Brown, and Hughes is the last thing in the world this team needs. If we happen to get the 1st overall...trade it away for more picks in later rounds and stack the defense with six 3rd round or higher players. Not to mention...the spread offense in a conference known for having weak defenses does not mean he's the next Peyton Manning. You are so blinded by the hype around this kid...I'm surprised you can see yourself in the mirror. (Rant over) Painful to watch this one...but I love my Colts and that won't change

you obviously dont understand the colts defense. you think adding defensive players will change our defense? HELLO we added a bunch of defensive guys through fa and the draft and its still the same painful defense to watch. what we need is a new defensive philosophy not more bodies that would continue to suck in the same system

I've never been more embarrassed to be called a colts fan until today. They showed no pride, no heart, no emotion, no desire. They didn’t even show embarrassment for the game they played. I've haven’t liked the coaching staff in Indy for the last 11 years. The front office are a bunch of fools, drafting inept players, buying into the hype they were gurus who picked great picks from prospects that appeared to be mediocre at best. In reality, Peyton has covered up a lot of short comings in coaching and front office activities. The owner should be embarrassed enough to move all of them out and bring in fresh blood. The defense is way undersized and never gets addressed. What we learned last year was the offense isn’t the problem, you could stick any fool out there when Peyton is healthy, and win games, it is that worthless defense. And I don't want to hear excuses about injuries. This team is not very good.

I agree, although crazy trick plays and onside kicks wouldn't have helped us in this game, obviously we should have tried something/anything different. The team getting spanked in the first half is bad enough, but the fact that it couldn't make adjustments and the coaching staff couldn't get any fire lit up to atleast slow it down in the second half is just pathetic. Caldwell just doesn't take any risks what so ever. How often does he throw out the red flag or go for it on fourth down? He looks scared on the sidelines and seems to have given up. Sure there this team had almost no chance of making the playoffs before the game, so the season is statistically over, but atleast they could keep fighting. I am a IU football fan and they have got beat down the last two weeks, but the difference is even when they are down 31-0 they don't give up. Anyone who doesn't think that has anything to do with the coaching staff has no idea what they are talking about and knows nothing about football. This is also not even close to being the first time this team has given up, but it is certainly the most glaring example. Their fourth quarter statistics say it all.

Well as long as we keep losing at this rate and Manning keeps watching from the sidelines, you will keep hearing about him.

Face it...It's unlikely this team is winning another ring with Manning man. Too many holes to fix in the short term. One draft of high picks isn't going to do it. You got Polian who hasn't been able to fix holes at DT, OL, and special teams for years. When he did have high draft picks he got Manning & James right but ended up also drafting guys like Jerome Pathon and E.G. Green! You trust this guy to get all of what we need to win another ring under Manning. Really? Even with high picks not named Luck there are no guarantees. We would probably just manage to miss on enough of those picks to still have the same problems that we always have year after year after year after year in the Manning era. These problems always exist and never seem to go away no matter what we do to address these areas.

Luck is a move looking towards the future...extends the window of franchise viability beyond the Manning expiration date...thereby buying time to eventually completely remake this team in future drafts. Something that we are quickly running out of time to do in the Manning era.

Edited by Coltsman1788

Am I the only one who thought Peyton looked more fired up and ready to do some coaching than anyone else on our sideline?

Agreed...Peyton was fired up and visably disgusted. He had every right to be after that debacle.

Sigh. Although I am frustrated and doing a lot of grumbling and complaining tonight, I am still proud to be a Colts fan though. In keeping with the original intent of this tread.