Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Saints Post Game Comments (Merge)

jhcutt

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong. If they want to continue to run this defense...and I assure you that they will...you draft players SPECIFICALLY FOR this defense. Players that fit into the scheme better. I understand fully the Colts defense... but I question whether you do. You're saying the scheme is flawed. That is wrong. The tampa 2 defense I a sound preventative defense that needs star linebackers and corners to use effectively. Guess where you get those kind of players. OH! You guessed it! Top 3 rounds of the draft! And circle gets a square. Several teams around the league use the tampa 2 style defense with success. Just not NEARLY as often and certainly not every down for 4 quarters. Coyers ineptitude and unwillingness to call a defense that plays to the strengths of the players is part of the problem yes. But the other part is the Colts insistance on the tampa 2 way too much and the idea that undersized, fast defeners is the way to go in todays nfl. If there is a flawed scheme...that is it right there. Somebody needs to sit Polian down and explain to him that there are big, strong players that are also fast. Guess where you get those players? OH! First 3 rounds of the draft! Don't sit and tell me that I don't understand the defense when you're having delusions that these players would exel in a "different scheme" and we don't need some more talented players

I'm with you! Colts all the way! Even though we got pummelled tonight (and all season) they are still my team.

There needs to be some changes. There's no leadership. No heart, no 'Next Man Up'.

Peyton needs to stay out of the lineup. He's heath and future are more imprtant than football. There's always next year (maybe). Peyton may be done forever as a player (hate to say it) so someone in this organisation needs to step up.

Win or lose though, I'll wear my Colts gear without fail. Your team is in your heart man! My Colts are my team, my heart!

Wrong. If they want to continue to run this defense...and I assure you that they will...you draft players SPECIFICALLY FOR this defense. Players that fit into the scheme better. I understand fully the Colts defense... but I question whether you do. You're saying the scheme is flawed. That is wrong. The tampa 2 defense I a sound preventative defense that needs star linebackers and corners to use effectively. Guess where you get those kind of players. OH! You guessed it! Top 3 rounds of the draft! And circle gets a square. Several teams around the league use the tampa 2 style defense with success. Just not NEARLY as often and certainly not every down for 4 quarters. Coyers ineptitude and unwillingness to call a defense that plays to the strengths of the players is part of the problem yes. But the other part is the Colts insistance on the tampa 2 way too much and the idea that undersized, fast defeners is the way to go in todays nfl. If there is a flawed scheme...that is it right there. Somebody needs to sit Polian down and explain to him that there are big, strong players that are also fast. Guess where you get those players? OH! First 3 rounds of the draft! Don't sit and tell me that I don't understand the defense when you're having delusions that these players would exel in a "different scheme" and we don't need some more talented players

you are wrong in so many levels. as i said before we have been drafting defensive for years maybe not in the first round, but overall draft yes. the defensives that play cover 2 like the bears and bucs dont just stick to it every down like we do. they change it and play different schemes depending on the situation unlike us where we give a cushion and leave the middle open every play. regardless what players you put in this scheme, it means nothing if the philosophy doesnt change

Edited by coltsrule91

Well as long as we keep losing at this rate and Manning keeps watching from the sidelines, you will keep hearing about him.

Face it...It's unlikely this team is winning another ring with Manning man. Too many holes to fix in the short term. One draft of high picks isn't going to do it. You got Polian who hasn't been able to fix holes at DT, OL, and special teams for years. When he did have high draft picks he got Manning & James right but ended up also drafting guys like Jerome Pathon and E.G. Green! You trust this guy to get all of what we need to win another ring under Manning. Really? Even with high picks not named Luck there are no guarantees. We would probably just manage to miss on enough of those picks to still have the same problems that we always have year after year after year after year in the Manning era. These problems always exist and never seem to go away no matter what we do to address these areas.

Luck is a move looking towards the future...extends the window of franchise viability beyond the Manning expiration date...thereby buying time to eventually completely remake this team in future drafts. Something that we are quickly running out of time to do in the Manning era.

This is exactly the kind of hippity hoppity mumbo jumbo that has people blinded when it comes to Luck. You admit that there are no guarantees...and the next paragraph is you saying Luck gives "franchise viability?" Did you get out of your time machine and saw us winning with him? What guarantees are there with him? You are saying things like he is a guarantee when the truth is...you are one of the mod edit I was talking about. The leagues history is peppered with "guaranteed" busts.

This is exactly the kind of hippity hoppity mumbo jumbo that has people blinded when it comes to Luck. You admit that there are no guarantees...and the next paragraph is you saying Luck gives "franchise viability?" Did you get out of your time machine and saw us winning with him? What guarantees are there with him? You are saying things like he is a guarantee when the truth is...you are one of the mod edit I was talking about. The leagues history is peppered with "guaranteed" busts.

heres a guarantee for you. we will suck just like we do this year for years to come once peyton is gone unless we get someone with the same talent and intelligence as him to run our offense.

you are wrong in so many levels. as i said before we have been drafting defensive for years maybe not in the first round, but overall draft yes. the defensives that play cover 2 like the bears and bucs dont just stick to it every down like we do. they change it and play different schemes depending on the situation unlike us where we give a cushion and leave the middle open every play. regardless what players you put in this scheme, it means nothing if the philosophy doesnt change

What's funny is you're each calling the other one wrong but you're both saying the same thing :P lol

That's kind of significant coming from Jeff, IMO.

This is probably Jeff Saturday's last season as a Colt, so he probably feels it's alright to lay it all on the line and say how he feels. He's right to be angry and his comments are certainly justified, but a player always takes a risk when speaking badly about team management. I guess it's kind of a moral code for players not to do it, but it's about time someone speaks out against us, and it may as well start from within the locker room with our own players.

Edited by ReMeDy

I already mentioned that they don't play it every down like we do. And if you don't understand the tampa 2...let me explain. You clear your linebackers and they play deep zones with your safeties. And your corners also. This is why it is used to a prevent and not an every down play. Regardless...the middle will be open and the corners will continue to play off because that's what the defense calls for. What we ned is more talented players...and a dc that knows better than to call that crap all the time. That part we agree on. Th disagreement is that you think a defensive scheme change will be successful while I believe the talen just isn't there to make any schem work.

The problem with this defense tactically is that is a toned down version of the prevent where everyone goes deep and tried to keep things in front of them. By having Pat Angerer drop back into coverage and sending the front 4 up the field it creates an effect where the middle is largely open. The defense is also weak against stopping the run because the Mike has to drop back into coverage. The issue is compounded by the use of smaller faster players to generate the pass rush required for the defense to run effectively. As pass rush that is easily nullified by the use of 3 step drops, draw plays, and screens. Since the back 7 are dropping back, these plays are almost always generally successful because of the aforementioned void in the middle of the field.

This creates long drives which wears out the defense and stop the offense from developing any type of rythem because they've been sitting on the bench for 20 minutes.

We've become so concerned about preventing big plays that we're just giving up long sustained drives because we're giving them completions.

Edited by Jaric

heres a guarantee for you. we will suck just like we do this year for years to come once peyton is gone unless we get someone with the same talent and intelligence as him to run our offense.

Not at all true...if we build a better overall team then we can be just as successful, if not moreso, with Phillip Rivers 2.0, Aaron Rodgers 2.0, Drew Brees 2.0 or even Jay Cutler 2.0.

This really saddens me. First Reggie, now Jeff.

I don't like our team being fodder for the media, especially about issues with the team and coaching staff.

I realize there are problems, as we all do. But giving the "talking heads" something else to blow out of proportion is not good for anyone imo.

I don't like our team being fodder for the media, especially about issues with the team and coaching staff.

I realize there are problems, as we all do. But giving the "talking heads" something else to blow out of proportion is not good for anyone imo.

I agree with you to a point but maybe this is what it'll take to get some changes made.

Not at all true...if we build a better overall team then we can be just as successful, if not moreso, with Phillip Rivers 2.0, Aaron Rodgers 2.0, Drew Brees 2.0 or even Jay Cutler 2.0.

with the way the defense plays we need a peyton 2.0

If it brings about change in the coaching staff it's good for our team. This team deserves to be ripped by the media right now.

I see. So without Peyton or his "supposed" twin...the offense flat out doesn't work? Might as well sell the franchise and build a mall in place of Lucas Oil then because there will never be another Peyton Manning. And why once Peyton retires? Surely you don believe that the offense is the reason we're losing. Also...there is this position in football...called a coach...who can simplify the offense(like Jackson did for Cambell). Its amazing how 31 other teams succeed(sometimes) without Peyton huh? You are correct in assuming that we need Peyton to run "Peytons" offense...but that's not to say that the coaching staff couldn't build the offense around a new qb either.

That's why I said...if we build a better overall team (defense included of course) :P....and a new coaching staff but I was hoping that was included as a given. :)

this team does need an overall makeover. we cant let one player affect the overall success of the team again

I see. So without Peyton or his "supposed" twin...the offense flat out doesn't work? Might as well sell the franchise and build a mall in place of Lucas Oil then because there will never be another Peyton Manning. And why once Peyton retires? Surely you don believe that the offense is the reason we're losing. Also...there is this position in football...called a coach...who can simplify the offense(like Jackson did for Cambell). Its amazing how 31 other teams succeed(sometimes) without Peyton huh? You are correct in assuming that we need Peyton to run "Peytons" offense...but that's not to say that the coaching staff couldn't build the offense around a new qb either.

what i meant was if we want to keep the same type of offense that has worked so well for us we would need someone like luck who has the intelligence and the skills to perhaps run this offense someday

Edited by coltsrule91

This is exactly the kind of hippity hoppity mumbo jumbo that has people blinded when it comes to Luck. You admit that there are no guarantees...and the next paragraph is you saying Luck gives "franchise viability?" Did you get out of your time machine and saw us winning with him? What guarantees are there with him? You are saying things like he is a guarantee when the truth is...you are one of the blinded fools I was talking about. The leagues history is peppered with "guaranteed" busts.

There are no guarantees with anyone and I don't mean to insinuate that Luck is a guarantee. No where did I use the word guarantee in my post. I should have said "potentially give franchise viability" but you responded before I could edit my post. I've stated this in other posts anyway. But the "he might bust' retort doesnt carry any weight with me because that can be said of any player in the draft. You roll with the best odds because it's all a gamble. Based on what the people in the know in the profession are saying Luck is one of the best prospects to come out in some time. So if you are going to make a gamble anyway might as well roll with the safest bet. Still as with anything there are no guarantees. No news flash there buddy.

I think some are uncomfortable whenever Luck is mentioned simply because it forces them to come to grips with Peyton's career mortality. So remove the plank from your own eye buddy before you go around calling others "blind fools".

screw the end of the season, I say get caldwell out now all he is going to do is make it much worse the longer he stays in but on the same note i don't know if a change right now would be any better this team was a very sad product of a football team tonight and it wasn't just one thing it was everything so unless we make wholesale changes i don't know how much better we will look in the years to come

One draft will not fix this team. This team needs years of drafting and FA in order to become elite again. I can't see Peyton beating good teams with majority of these players and the coaching staff. Sorry to say, but this season has shut the window for another Peyton SB ring even more.

Obviously they can not bring it to the attention of anyone inside the organization because they will either be silenced or moved.

With that said, it has begun. Sooner or later there will be a division in the locker room. I feel like the locker room has felt like this for quite a while. But now with no playoffs in our future and almost no point of competing, what better time to speak your mind.