Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Want to know why there's so much Da'Rick hype?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Guest TeamLoloJones

This is for all of you Colts fans who are wondering why we are all gaga for the this guy.  Also if you don't even know who Rogers is, take a minute to read this.  This is the CBS Sports Draft Profile on Da'Rick, instead of posting the link, I'll just give you the bulk of the article....Enjoy!

OVERVIEW
Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness.

He signed with Tennessee as one of the most highly regarded prep prospects in the entire country, and immediately showed off his versatility, racking up 167 yards as a receiver and 117 yards as a runner (reverses, etc.).

Rogers was expected to serve as the complementary piece to Justin Hunter in 2011, but stepped up once his teammate was injured and went on to lead the SEC with 1,040 receiving yards in 2011. He eclipsed the 100-yard mark in six games, one short of a Tennessee record, and earned First Team All-SEC honors by the media and league coaches.

While there are plenty of traits about Rogers scouts will love, one they must be concerned about is Rogers' accountability on and off the field. For violating team rules, Rogers was suspended indefinitely by Tennessee coach Derek Dooley on Aug. 23 and ultimately transferred to Tennessee Tech.

"We're excited to have him and look forward to working with him," Tech coach Watson Brown said Aug. 27. "It's a unique situation for me, but we know he's a good kid. He knows a couple of the players on our team, and we know his high school coach, and we're going on their recommendations.

"After meeting with Da'Rick and his family, I can see what everybody is saying about him," Brown added. "We've met with Da'Rick and he understands our expectations."

Rogers played in all 11 games for Tennessee Tech in 2012, and was the man among boys he was expected to be, leading the team with 61 catches for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns. No one else on the roster had more than 28 receptions, and Rogers put up his staggering numbers despite every opponent game-planning to contain him.

Character red-flags galore, but undeniably an elite talent.

ANALYSIS
Strengths: Despite playing in the ultra-physical SEC, Rogers proved too strong for most teams to consider pressing. He's also versatile, showing the ability to line up outside, as well as in the slot. While it is easy to get excited about Rogers' size-speed potential, one of his greatest attributes is simply his toughness, as he absorbed several big collisions on games viewed and never dropped a pass due to a hit while at Tennessee. Rogers is a powerful runner who fights for additional yardage and has the agility and speed to run away from the pack for explosive plays.

Weaknesses: Generally a reliable pass catcher, but will occasionally look to juke the defender before securing the pass, resulting in an occasional bad drop. Until he cleans up the conception that he's a troublemaker, it may not matter how talented Rogers is, NFL teams will be too concerned to give him the first-round grade his talent deserves.

--Rob Rang

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Wow sounds nice. Hopefully he'll produce and stay with us for awhile. One game at a time. Show us you can do it Sunday, Da'Rick!

I was one of the people slamming the table for us to trade for Josh Gordon.  How good would if feel to find out we've had our own Gordon all along?  

Answer: Good. Darn Good.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If we can get his head on straight to match his talent he will be very good.

He's got the best mentor in the NFL to look up to in Reggie.

I don't think it is fair to judge Rodgers because he was a UFA and cut by the Bills.  Once upon a time Cris Carter was cut by the Eagles.  Not saying he is anywhere near what Carter was, but being cut or not getting drafted isn't always a death sentence.  Clearly, Rodgers has ability.  If he can grow like Carter did, with Wayne to mentor him, then perhaps his physical skills will make him a solid receiver for us.  It would be a nice change to see the Colts with good, tall WR.  I think the last we had that was Raymond Butler. Sean Dawkins was so-so.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I don't think it is fair to judge Rodgers because he was a UFA and cut by the Bills.  Once upon a time Cris Carter was cut by the Eagles.  Not saying he is anywhere near what Carter was, but being cut or not getting drafted isn't always a death sentence.  Clearly, Rodgers has ability.  If he can grow like Carter did, with Wayne to mentor him, then perhaps his physical skills will make him a solid receiver for us.  It would be a nice change to see the Colts with good, tall WR.  I think the last we had that was Raymond Butler. Sean Dawkins was so-so.

Victor Cruz as well...

Victor Cruz as well...

Sure, people in the past have had success after experiencing similar adversity...but how many actually do? You can look at cases such as Cruz, Carter, etc, but how many players have actually turned in feel good stories such as the aforementioned? Not many, not many at all. You can go through thousands and thousands of players before the next Victor Cruz or Cris Carter pops up. Not saying Rogers (or Rodgers, for those of you that spell it that way lol) will be our next Griff Whalen..but history tends to tell us that it will.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Sure, people in the past have had success after experiencing similar adversity...but how many actually do? You can look at cases such as Cruz, Carter, etc, but how many players have actually turned in feel good stories such as the aforementioned? Not many, not many at all. You can go through thousands and thousands of players before the next Victor Cruz or Cris Carter pops up. Not saying Rogers (or Rodgers, for those of you that spell it that way lol) will be our next Griff Whalen..but history tends to tell us that it will.

The difference between Rogers and Whalen, is that Rogers is a physical specimen, with serious talent.  Whalen is just not talented enough to be an NFL receiver.

I'll start off by being polite and simply say I'm not a fan of Rob Rang and the CBS Sports Draft site.   Not a fan at all.

And that evaluation of Rogers is a text book example of why.

A clone of Julio Jones?!?    Are you freaking kidding me?    Come on now.    

Does anyone in their right mind think a guy who is a text book clone of Julio Jones goes un-drafted...   signs as a FA with Buffalo and then gets cut before their season even starts?     Come on now, of course that doesn't happen.

This is the same website that at this time last year had the Syracuse QB (his name escapes me now) who eventually went in the 4th round to the NYG,  rated as the highest overall player in the draft.     NOT the highest rated QB.   No.    The highest rated player at any position.

Hard to take a website who does things like that too seriously.    Look,  it's one thing to miss on a player....   but a miss of that size and scope means your credibility is hovering near zero.....

Rogers has talent....   the question is...   can the Colts be the franchise who makes him grow up and bring it out of him?

We maybe about to find out.....     here's hoping!    :thmup:

Guest TeamLoloJones

A clone of Julio Jones?!?    Are you freaking kidding me?    Come on now.    

The comparison of Rogers and Julio Jones is spot on.  They are almost the exact same size, and have the exact same skill set.  Is Rogers as good as Jones? No.  But if you watched enough tape of both of them in college you could swear you were watching the same player.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Thank you for posting this. I was unaware of his perceived talent.

NOW I understand what all the hoopla is about.

Lets see him Sunday!!!

Your welcome.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Not much more to say about it really, At some point it would be nice to see what this kid can do for a few plays in game action

Yep...hopefully he can get out there and we can see what he can do at this level.

Heres some info from Mel Kiper

Q:What is Da'Rick Rogers potential draft status? He's your typical ultra talented head-case, no?

Mel Kiper  (1:42 PM)

He, to me, is in that second round mix. He has some off the field red flags. He had 6 catches for 76 yards last week. A lot of scouts were at that game with Gorde and Rogers. Rogers had 3 TD receptions last week. He's a man among boys at the I-AA level. He is a junior.

Q:Mel, In terms of next year's early prospects, where would you put Robert Woods? Does he not have amongst the best hands/speed/route running you've ever seen?

Mel Kiper  (1:57 PM)

If you put him in the juniors, you don't know who's coming back yet. And we don't know his speed yet. When you look at the junior receivers who will be seniors next year, Blackmon's coming out. Da'Rick Rogers from Tennessee is right there with Woods as an outstanding receiver.

"He's a talented kid who showed that in the SEC at Tennessee," Kiper said. "He showed that again this past year at Tennessee Tech and had his moments where he looked like an early round pick. I think he gets pushed down a bit because there are a lot of wide receivers in that group who don't have any red flags, but I think talent will get him to the fourth round and maybe the third.

And some from Todd McShay

Q. With Da’Rick Rogers at Tennessee Tech, when do you expect him to get taken?  And if he didn’t have the offthefield issues, how high would he be rated?  How badly has that affected his stock?

McSHAY:  I did his tape in the preseason based off of the past 2011 season when he was at Tennessee, and I gave him a secondround grade.  This year he did all he could at the small school level, and he stepped up.  He certainly stepped up when he had the opportunity against bigger programs.  But when you look at it, there is obviously some riskreward with him.  Maturity level and mental makeup, I think are the big concerns.

But you’re also getting a 6’2.5″, 217 pound receiver that is physical.  He has good speed for his size, and he’s a competitive player on the field.  That is the thing.  A lot of times when you have guys with the red flags, they don’t play very hard or there is something about them that you don’t like in terms of effort or competitiveness on the field.  That’s not the case with Rogers.  He plays the game hard.  He’s not afraid to block.  He’s just a really good athlete.

I think he probably loses out on a round, is my guess, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he still winds up somewhere in day two in the mid to late portion of the third round because he can play.  If a team’s comfortable enough with the character or has enough veterans in their locker room, he could wind up being a really good value pick if he can just stay on the straight and narrow.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Rogers is more comparable with Dez Bryant imo. Both are about the same height,speed and  physical. Julio is  faster   but he doesn't play as physical as someone like Rogers or Dez. If Rogers can get enough playing time and stay out of trouble he could be a great WR.

I would lump all 3 into the same relative category.  If Roger ends up really bulking up to Andre Johnson size, and maintains his speed, he would be a pretty formidable WR.

Its funy in the video Gavin posted because you can see the difference in the arm talent between UT and Tenn Tech.  Rogers had to adjust and slow up for alot of the balls the qb threw.  Highlight videos always look awesome.  Its if within the highlight reel you can find the simple things that make they guy good.  Such as the route adjustment.  I'm all for giving the kid a shot and see what happens.  I'm just more concerned about protecting Luck.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Its funy in the video Gavin posted because you can see the difference in the arm talent between UT and Tenn Tech.  Rogers had to adjust and slow up for alot of the balls the qb threw.  Highlight videos always look awesome.  Its if within the highlight reel you can find the simple things that make they guy good.  Such as the route adjustment.  I'm all for giving the kid a shot and see what happens.  I'm just more concerned about protecting Luck.

One of his biggest strengths that I've noticed.  Also it's one of DHB's weaknesses.

I think he probably loses out on a round, is my guess, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he still winds up somewhere in day two in the mid to late portion of the third round because he can play.  If a team’s comfortable enough with the character or has enough veterans in their locker room, he could wind up being a really good value pick if he can just stay on the straight and narrow.

Ewww ewww!  I know the answer teacher!  I know the answer!  Is it Reggie Wayne?

Yeah the video alone obviously was not meant as a means to show how good he would be if given the chance but if you know what to look for and study and read about what to look for then you can learn a lot about a player...Not everything of course and of course the process will never be perfect but there are plenty of the things out there done by former pro coaches and scouts that one can learn from if someone took the time to read it.....Now me....I love reading up on all that stuff.....But I get pretty lazy more often then not giving my evaluations when it comes to typing. That's a huge reason I have not given m evaluations on Grading team performances this year in games...I watch the All 22 but am a lazy typer