Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why dont NFL players complain about playing on Thanksgiving?

oldunclemark

Most of the year?  Playing Thursday night games are terrible and awful...Its those greedy owners...they just do it to line their pockets...Its for TV....players get hurt...don't let me hear anybody talk about player safety? they don't care!!!

This week? But playing Thanksgiving MORNING and AFTERNOON in Detroit and Dallas is a priviliege and tradition..

A chance to show off for a national TV audience.

....NFL players just like to complain....Detroit has played on Thanksgiving for 60 years

...Its never led to more injuries and its always been about making money.

...always good to have a little turkey without whine

Yup exactly its the tradition of the team Dallas and Detroit always play. Playing on Thanksgiving bring in lots of money. IDK  about the players complaining on playing Thanksgiving. It is their job to play football. They earn money playing football. Yeah its suck working on a holiday but like most of the people around the world, NFL players have to work on holidays too. 

Yup exactly its the tradition of the team Dallas and Detroit always play. Playing on Thanksgiving bring in lots of money. IDK  about the players complaining on playing Thanksgiving. It is their job to play football. They earn money playing football. Yeah its suck working on a holiday but like most of the people around the world, NFL players have to work on holidays too. 

I had to work holidays for 22 years....I retired early....I am blessed...but that does not mean I did not HATE working on holidays....shutting down a major operation was tough enough...but having to stay and man phones sucked :)

Most of the year? Playing Thursday night games are terrible and awful...Its those greedy owners...they just do it to line their pockets...Its for TV....players get hurt...don't let me hear anybody talk about player safety? they don't care!!!

This week? But playing Thanksgiving MORNING and AFTERNOON in Detroit and Dallas is a priviliege and tradition..

A chance to show off for a national TV audience.

....NFL players just like to complain....Detroit has played on Thanksgiving for 60 years

...Its never led to more injuries and its always been about making money.

...always good to have a little turkey without whine

what player has said playing on Thursday is a health risk?

what player has said playing on Thursday is a health risk?

Several have insinuated it. The body doesn't recover fast enough, it's a double standard from the league, etc. I understand the complaint, but haven't seen anything to confirm that it's more of a risk for the players.

And I agree with OUM in this instance. Players complain about TNF all year long, but come Thanksgiving, there's no complaint. The whole thing is silly to me.

Because it's a traditional thing and it's not overkilled. There used to be only 2 Thursday games, the Thanksgiving ones. It's not the same as putting a Thursday night game on every team's schedule.

What difference does it make? If you're going to say that it increases the risk of injury, why doesn't that apply for the Thanksgiving games?

I am fine with the Thanksgiving games bc they are a once a season deal. And they've been around forever. What I hate are the every week Thursday night games. It's a blatant money grab by the NFL, puts teams at a disadvantage coming off a Sunday game (though on the back end they get extra time so I guess it evens out), and its one less game people without the NFL Network get to see. And the games are usually turd matchups. And aren't they considering adding MORE Thursday night games next season? Ugh.

Selfishly, it has really taken a lot of the fun out of fantasy football too. You barely have time to drop/add players for bye week reasons, injuries, etc...in our league the waiver day is Wednesday, so if you didn't get that backup WR you put in a claim for, well good luck with some 5th stringer as your WR2. Again this is for selfish reasons, just a minor gripe of mine,

I am fine with the Thanksgiving games bc they are a once a season deal. And they've been around forever. What I hate are the every week Thursday night games. It's a blatant money grab by the NFL, puts teams at a disadvantage coming off a Sunday game (though on the back end they get extra time so I guess it evens out), and its one less game people without the NFL Network get to see. And the games are usually turd matchups. And aren't they considering adding MORE Thursday night games next season? Ugh.

Selfishly, it has really taken a lot of the fun out of fantasy football too. You barely have time to drop/add players for bye week reasons, injuries, etc...in our league the waiver day is Wednesday, so if you didn't get that backup WR you put in a claim for, well good luck with some 5th stringer as your WR2. Again this is for selfish reasons, just a minor gripe of mine,

But nobody plays on Thursday more than once during the season.......(no one outside of the media is seriously considering more Thursday games) and its a 'blatant money grab' on Thanksgiving, too.....People want their favorite players paid big money but they don't want the owners to make money to pay them

Does everybody know WHY there is an NFL football game on Thanksgiving?

Its a tourist attraction in Detroit that goes back half a century (its very traditional there and makes bi money for the city) and the other 2 games are made-for-TV..

The entire NFL is about money fro players and owners....you play fantasy football for money.

The league probably isn't concerned with fantasy football, as I think you address here.... game playing fans will adjust to any schedule..

.I just appreciate that the players who play on Thanksgiving seem to understand that its an honor and they don't cry about it...

The reason they don't complain is that like the NBA, the market for Thanksgiving and Christmas is at its highest save for the playoffs and Super Bowl. Most of the country is off work, and the athletes get way more exposure than any other time, (again, save for the playoffs) They know that they will be the only game on at the specific game time, and it can lead to endorsements, jersey sales, etc. Not to mention the ratings for the stations that broadcast the games. They can sell the commercials for Thanksgiving at a much higher rate, due to more people watching. They know they'll get their meal over the weekend anyway, and, if you are like my family, we have people coming from all over the country, and we usually plan our Thanksgiving for Saturday Night, so everyone can make it without losing work.

Its great exposure for the teams and the athletes, that they don't normally get...which can mean more money for them...Its just that simple.

The reason they don't complain is that like the NBA, the market for Thanksgiving and Christmas is at its highest save for the playoffs and Super Bowl. Most of the country is off work, and the athletes get way more exposure than any other time, (again, save for the playoffs) They know that they will be the only game on at the specific game time, and it can lead to endorsements, jersey sales, etc. Not to mention the ratings for the stations that broadcast the games. They can sell the commercials for Thanksgiving at a much higher rate, due to more people watching. They know they'll get their meal over the weekend anyway, and, if you are like my family, we have people coming from all over the country, and we usually plan our Thanksgiving for Saturday Night, so everyone can make it without losing work.

Its great exposure for the teams and the athletes, that they don't normally get...which can mean more money for them...Its just that simple.

Not quite.

There's only one game EVERY Thursday ...and they're all on TV..and you get 9 days off after ALL of them....

Ratings and endoresments are nice..but that's the case every week..The NFL Net lives on those live Thursday games..

This is not a complaint...I just wish players and media would understand that playing EVERY Thursday helps the league..the same league they make big money off of..

Not quite.

There's only one game EVERY Thursday ...and they're all on TV..and you get 9 days off after ALL of them....

Ratings and endoresments are nice..but that's the case every week..The NFL Net lives on those live Thursday games..

This is not a complaint...I just wish players and media would understand that playing EVERY Thursday helps the league..the same league they make big money off of..

I beg to differ. Yes they have Thursday games every week, but a lot of people don't have the NFL Network, and can't watch, plus, a lot of people are working 2nd and 3rd shifts, and can't watch due to work. On Thanksgiving 99 percent of the country is off work, and the games are on the major networks, FOX, CBS, and NBC. Plus, everyone is gathered together, and in every family there will be someone turning on the games. Its almost as if the NFL has a captive audience for Thanksgiving. The amount of people tuning into the games on Thanksgiving will be at least 10 times more than the normal Thursday night game. The athletes get way more exposure on Thanksgiving and Christmas (NBA) other than the playoffs.

Who cares about the players? They get paid MILLIONS to play on Thanksgiving.

Think about the average people who run the telecommunications, or the AV feed, or the programming of it.

So cancel air travel and the Macy's parade.

People work everyday. There's no no exceptions. If there's something on TV, someone is working telecommunications, etc.

But nobody plays on Thursday more than once during the season.......(no one outside of the media is seriously considering more Thursday games) and its a 'blatant money grab' on Thanksgiving, too.....People want their favorite players paid big money but they don't want the owners to make money to pay them

Does everybody know WHY there is an NFL football game on Thanksgiving?

Its a tourist attraction in Detroit that goes back half a century (its very traditional there and makes bi money for the city) and the other 2 games are made-for-TV..

The entire NFL is about money fro players and owners....you play fantasy football for money.

The league probably isn't concerned with fantasy football, as I think you address here.... game playing fans will adjust to any schedule..

.I just appreciate that the players who play on Thanksgiving seem to understand that its an honor and they don't cry about it...

I get that. But to be fair, I want to point out that I don't play for money in FFB. I am in a free Yahoo league that's been in existence for 5 years now. It's not about the money for me, just for fun. That wasn't my main point anyway. Two Thursday games a year is enough for me, that's all.

I beg to differ. Yes they have Thursday games every week, but a lot of people don't have the NFL Network, and can't watch, plus, a lot of people are working 2nd and 3rd shifts, and can't watch due to work. On Thanksgiving 99 percent of the country is off work, and the games are on the major networks, FOX, CBS, and NBC. Plus, everyone is gathered together, and in every family there will be someone turning on the games. Its almost as if the NFL has a captive audience for Thanksgiving. The amount of people tuning into the games on Thanksgiving will be at least 10 times more than the normal Thursday night game. The athletes get way more exposure on Thanksgiving and Christmas (NBA) other than the playoffs.

Most get the NFL network and the games are on free TV in local markets.

You may have a fantasized view of Thanksgiving Thursday. I worked it for 20 years,,,,many do....This 'Black Friday' craziness begins on Thursday afternoons now

..But you're missing the point...Players do nothing but complain and curse the NFL for playing Thusrday all year

..................and consider playing Thursday on Thanskgiving an honor they look forward to.

Its total hypocrisy but I'm glad for it.   I;m pleased that for at least one day the players understand that whats best in dollars and cents for the NFL as a whole and what good for host cities like Detroit and Dallas  (especially cash broke Detroit) ..is good for them, too...