Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A problem no one seems to be talking about.

coming on strong

Im talking of course about help for the offensive line; it  seems like the colts have have no good blocking tight ends or running backs that can block that are  heathy left on the roster. Dwyane allen was a huge lose-- not just in the passing game but in the blocking game; he could help the coltss tackles if they were struggling, and the colts waived dominique jones, and jack doyle havn't really seen him on the field much don't know if he get block.

Vick ballard and bradshaw were good at pass protection , donald brown and trent richardson are both pretty bad blockers from what i have noticed.

I rewatched some tape of the offensive line its not as bad as it looks when im watching the game live, of course its still not good but also luck still holds on to the ball to long.

I bet if allen bradsaw and ballard were healthy plus luck didn't hold on to the ball as long the offensive line would look alot better, and  gosder cherilus has been playing pretty solid so has constanzo , they have been beat but all tackles get beat at some point the main problem is the interrior line.

Anyone whos paid attention knows the Colts are fine at tackle, and guard wilk be okay next season when Thomas comes off IR. Its center that has been the sieve.

And the NFL has changed, tight ends are mostly just big recievers now, fullbacks are dying out, and the single half back is the only second level protection a QB will get. Trent should get better at blocking as he gets more experience with the line, it will be easier for him to chip defenders and know where holes are likely to open up. There is a lot of gelling that hasnt happened with this offense, it still feels like a bunch of ingredients thrown together and not the whole stew.

Anyone whos paid attention knows the Colts are fine at tackle, and guard wilk be okay next season when Thomas comes off IR. Its center that has been the sieve.

And the NFL has changed, tight ends are mostly just big recievers now, fullbacks are dying out, and the single half back is the only second level protection a QB will get. Trent should get better at blocking as he gets more experience with the line, it will be easier for him to chip defenders and know where holes are likely to open up. There is a lot of gelling that hasnt happened with this offense, it still feels like a bunch of ingredients thrown together and not the whole stew.

stew-going.jpg

The

yea but luck is getting killed out there , i think the offensive line is kind of underrated at run blocking and better than people say it is. 

The main concern is pass blocking since luck is taking big hits.

I disagree. I think the pass blocking is easily fixable. You mentioned a couple things, like Luck making better and quicker reads, and we can also shorten up the pass concepts to keep him from getting hit. And I don't think Richardson or Brown have been bad protectors, though both have missed a couple blocks here and there (Havili whiffed on one Sunday also).

The main issue is the run blocking. Just haven't been able to move the ball on the ground at all the past two weeks. Again, some scheme issues that we can adjust, but our interior linemen are getting no push, and it's shutting everything down.

Im talking of course about help for the offensive line; it  seems like the colts have have no good blocking tight ends or running backs that can block that are  heathy left on the roster. Dwyane allen was a huge lose-- not just in the passing game but in the blocking game; he could help the coltss tackles if they were struggling, and the colts waived dominique jones, and jack doyle havn't really seen him on the field much don't know if he get block.

Vick ballard and bradshaw were good at pass protection , donald brown and trent richardson are both pretty bad blockers from what i have noticed.

I rewatched some tape of the offensive line its not as bad as it looks when im watching the game live, of course its still not good but also luck still holds on to the ball to long.

There are no Colts problems that no one here doesn't talk about.

I bet if allen bradsaw and ballard were healthy plus luck didn't hold on to the ball as long the offensive line would look alot better, and  gosder cherilus has been playing pretty solid so has constanzo , they have been beat but all tackles get beat at some point the main problem is the interrior line.

Im not sold on Castonzo.  He's been missing some blocks lately.  I think Trent has been doing really well blocking big linemen that have been coming through.  I think hes the best option we have for a blocking RB out of all the ones we have.

I would like to see a breakdown of where Luck has been getting sacked from.  Left, Center, and Right.

I disagree. I think the pass blocking is easily fixable. You mentioned a couple things, like Luck making better and quicker reads, and we can also shorten up the pass concepts to keep him from getting hit. And I don't think Richardson or Brown have been bad protectors, though both have missed a couple blocks here and there (Havili whiffed on one Sunday also).

The main issue is the run blocking. Just haven't been able to move the ball on the ground at all the past two weeks. Again, some scheme issues that we can adjust, but our interior linemen are getting no push, and it's shutting everything down.

But the same o-line was getting push early in the season . it can be fixed but i do think some blame needs to be put on poor running back vision , but i won't continue on that as i will save that for the offical trent richard thread :thmup:

so lets talk x's and o's then what blocking schemes / offensive playing calling would you like to see the colts use in the next game?

The best type of offense for avoiding pass rush is the spread. Sure, you only have your o-line blocking, but it makes teams think twice about the blitz, and allows you to make plenty of quick throws.

Leaving too many player in to block limits your options and therefore increases the time you hold onto the ball. Just look at Tom Brady, no QB gets hit less.

Im not sold on Castonzo.  He's been missing some blocks lately.  I think Trent has been doing really well blocking big linemen that have been coming through.  I think hes the best option we have for a blocking RB out of all the ones we have.

I would like to see a breakdown of where Luck has been getting sacked from.  Left, Center, and Right.

Per PFF:

Castonzo - (608 snaps - LT (9)) - 3 sacks - 3 hits - 26 hurries

Cherilus - (607 snaps RT - (9)) - 2 sacks - 7 hits - 18 hurries

Thorton - (542 snaps - LG (8) RG (1)) - 5 sacks - 11 hits - 9 hurries

McGlynn - (487 snaps - RG (8)) - 2 sacks - 8 hits - 9 hurries

Satele - (433 snaps - C) - 0 sacks - 4 hits - 6 hurries

McGlynn - (72 snaps - C) - 1 sack - 1 hit - 0 hurries

Link - (225 snaps - RG (4)) - 0 sacks - 2 hits - 7 hurries

Reitz - (66 snaps - LG (1) RG (6)) - 0 sacks - 0 hits - 1 hurry

Ahh the good old faithful "our Oline stinks" topic. 

So let me see if my understand is correct (broad strokes):

• Tackles Fine
  • Interior Oline Bad
  • We suck at run blocking (especially up the gut)
  • Luck is getting killed when dropping back
  • Pep wants to run a Power Run offense and use the run to set up P/A deep shots (a la Stanford)
  • Teams know our weakness and are sending the house most plays

The combination then of trying to power run when we can't run and also trying to run P/A when we know a blitz is coming (please someone correct if I'm wrong but P/A into a blitz is not the best idea?) is exacerbating both issues. As many have said before we could offset some of these issues by spreading the field, running screens, quick passes, god forbid even some QB designed runs. Something, anything, to make the defense take a step back and question what we are doing to do on a play rather than it be telegraphed to them. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Pep, I like the idea behind the philosophy as I think it's more sustainable than a Manning type team but we currently do not have the personnel to run it. It's almost like putting the cart before the horse. With all this talk of "win now" from the team leadership I think they need to understand they need to break from their ideology and be more flexible if they want to have short term success. 

• Tackles Fine
  • Interior Oline Bad
  • Pep wants to run a Power Run offense and use the run to set up P/A deep shots (a la Stanford)

The combination then of trying to power run when we can't run and also trying to run P/A when we know a blitz is coming (please someone correct if I'm wrong but P/A into a blitz is not the best idea?) is exacerbating both issues. As many have said before we could offset some of these issues by spreading the field, running screens, quick passes, god forbid even some QB designed runs. Something, anything, to make the defense take a step back and question what we are doing to do on a play rather than it be telegraphed to them.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pep, I like the idea behind the philosophy as I think it's more sustainable than a Manning type team but we currently do not have the personnel to run it. It's almost like putting the cart before the horse. With all this talk of "win now" from the team leadership I think they need to understand they need to break from their ideology and be more flexible if they want to have short term success.

Play action is a hard counter to blitzing. If the defense bites on the play fake, then it slows the blitz for an extra second giving the QB time to look downfield.

My apologies I don;'t know where I had got it drummed into me that Play Action with an expected blitz was a bad idea!

If you expect blitz but still want to pass, its all about either beating the rush or slowing it. Play action slows it, a quick 3 step drop dump off or screen beats it. Essentially, a good west coast passing game beats the blitz every time.

If you expect blitz but still want to pass, its all about either beating the rush or slowing it. Play action slows it, a quick 3 step drop dump off or screen beats it. Essentially, a good west coast passing game beats the blitz every time.

Thank you, would I be correct in thinking though that as the West Coast relies on a good understanding between the QB and WRs on timing patterns than it might not be so easy for us to implement given our current WR core.

Thank you, would I be correct in thinking though that as the West Coast relies on a good understanding between the QB and WRs on timing patterns than it might not be so easy for us to implement given our current WR core.

The lack of solid route runners is a pain, but you can be pseudo west coast now by abusing TE and HB underneath routes. Using the FB is a good option as well.

That is somewhat dependant on how the QB plays himself, or the the WC offense is set up. Generally they are based on timing, where, for example, the ball is thrown precisely when the WR comes out of their cut. Some QBs prefer to scan the field quickly as opposed to being overly reliant on timing.

The lack of solid route runners is a pain, but you can be pseudo west coast now by abusing TE and HB underneath routes. Using the FB is a good option as well.

We've looked good throwing to Havali and to the RBs I've thought, I'd like to see some more of it. 

I would say too Fleener has looked better in recent weeks but hasn't been helped out by Luck being off the last two games. 

Per PFF:

Castonzo - (608 snaps - LT (9)) - 3 sacks - 3 hits - 26 hurries

Cherilus - (607 snaps RT - (9)) - 2 sacks - 7 hits - 18 hurries

Thorton - (542 snaps - LG (8) RG (1)) - 5 sacks - 11 hits - 9 hurries

McGlynn - (487 snaps - RG (8)) - 2 sacks - 8 hits - 9 hurries

Satele - (433 snaps - C) - 0 sacks - 4 hits - 6 hurries

McGlynn - (72 snaps - C) - 1 sack - 1 hit - 0 hurries

Link - (225 snaps - RG (4)) - 0 sacks - 2 hits - 7 hurries

Reitz - (66 snaps - LG (1) RG (6)) - 0 sacks - 0 hits - 1 hurry

The players giving up the sacks are not entirely indicative of who is to blame along the line. Of course most of your sacks, hits and hurries are going to come from the tackles, because they are blocking the pass rushers. Interior pass rushers will never get to the QB as much, however,if the interior allow the pocket to collapse, they are making life very difficult for their tackles.

The players giving up the sacks are not entirely indicative of who is to blame along the line. Of course most of your sacks, hits and hurries are going to come from the tackles, because they are blocking the pass rushers. Interior pass rushers will never get to the QB as much, however,if the interior allow the pocket to collapse, they are making life very difficult for their tackles.

I agree, and there are mistakes that another player could have made earlier that contributed to an olineman giving up the sack, only the coaches are going to know exactly what the assignments were and how the blame should be distributed.  I was just trying to give him the info he wanted to see ... how he interprets it is up to him.

I agree, and there are mistakes that another player could have made earlier that contributed to an olineman giving up the sack, only the coaches are going to know exactly what the assignments were and how the blame should be distributed.  I was just trying to give him the info he wanted to see ... how he interprets it is up to him.

Going by those numbers there are 9 sacks unaccounted for...It would be very interesting where they put them blame on them 9 sacks

Going by those numbers there are 9 sacks unaccounted for...It would be very interesting where they put them blame on them 9 sacks

I would like to see that too.  I assume they attribute them to WR, RB, FB, TE, but they only get a blocking score; no sack numbers ... Or it was a play that completely fell apart and/or Luck got sacked while scrambling so they don't assign blame to any one person.

Your passive agressive implications against Luck have been noted. Rest assured that the proper amount of eyerolling has been applied.

• Tackles Fine
  • Interior Oline Bad

I 1000% agree with this. I feel like Pep et al have chosen a philosophy and said do or die, we are sticking with it and not changing. You have a questionable oline in front and you have to change the way you run that offense. I like the thought of having the shorter passes and screens and god forbid some designed runs from luck, he has good speed and we are not using his full talents.

Good post!

I thought T-Rich has done a decent job in pass blocking, I certainly wouldn't say he is a liability in it, he is new, so he has obviously missed some blocks, which is expected

Ya, I think Richardson has done better at pass blocking than any of the backs. Donald Brown is downright scary in pass blocking situations, he just doesn't have the knack for it. I may be wrong but I think the loss of Reggie Wayne has teams loading the box and taking away the run knowing that they can still cover the rest of our receivers on the back end. The exception would be TY but everyone else is coverable 1 on 1. Another problem seems to me to be play calling. I can sit in my living room at home and tell you when it's going to be a run. I'm not blaming all the woes on the loss of Reggie but prior to the last two games we were running the ball pretty darn well.

Who gets the credit for a sack if its a free blitzer like a CB or safety blitz? Especially on a delayed blitz that we dont have a blocker accounting for the blitzer, Is that on Luck? Seems like it should be but i have no idea.

Who gets the credit for a sack if its a free blitzer like a CB or safety blitz? Especially on a delayed blitz that we dont have a blocker accounting for the blitzer, Is that on Luck? Seems like it should be but i have no idea.

Yes, it's on Luck.