Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Free Safety

I'm curious what you guys think about the free safety position going forward. Feel free to give your input on Bethea, possible free agent solutions, and possible draftees that the Colts could grab. I think they'll resign Bethea to a two year deal and draft haha Clinton-dix if he's available.

Who do you suggest we get? Would you resign Bethea?

Depends whose in FA or what Bethea want as far as a contract. Bethea has been below average for the past few years so if he wants a big contract then you let him walk.

We don't have many draft picks and we need to use what we do have on oline and front 7.

Im not sure what safties are on the FA market in the offseason.

Depends whose in FA or what Bethea want as far as a contract. Bethea has been below average for the past few years so if he wants a big contract then you let him walk.

We don't have many draft picks and we need to use what we do have on oline and front 7.

Im not sure what safties are on the FA market in the offseason.

I'd love to get Byrd in free agency but its unlikely. If Clinton-dix slips then I would grab him. Ed Reynolds would be another option.

We cannot address this issue in the draft this safety draft is one of the worst in recent memory Ha-Ha is the only one that should sniff the first round then the rest are not great. 

Free agency IDK if guys like TJ Ward or Jarius Byrd hit the open market but if they do maybe we can sound them out but im leaning toward keeping him 

We cannot address this issue in the draft this safety draft is one of the worst in recent memory Ha-Ha is the only one that should sniff the first round then the rest are not great. 

Free agency IDK if guys like TJ Ward or Jarius Byrd hit the open market but if they do maybe we can sound them out but im leaning toward keeping him 

TJ Ward is more of a SS which we already have in Landry. Byrd will be way overpaid I would imagine. Clinton-dix sticks out as really promising as a force in the NFL. I'd love if he was a Colt.

Howell has been injured and plays more of a SS role. I highly doubt they draft a CB unless Bradley Roby falls. Honestly they don't have very many holes on the roster and there will be even less after free agency.

I disagree with many holes... I can think of 3 big ones in the middle that combine to make one big black hole!!!

Clinton-dix won't fall to the late second round. Granted, I haven't got an idea of what teams could potentially be in the market for an FS in the draft, but even in the middle of the second, there would be a few GM's thinking "We can't miss this guy".x

If - Big IF - he's there when we pick in the second round, I wouldn't mind Grigson pulling the trigger on him, even if there are other areas of the team that we need to adress.

Bethea stays for a few years, and Clinton-dix is picked in the first round.

Bethea has been a huge disappointment in pass coverage just doesn't have the speed like he use to. He's nothing more then a SS doesn't have the range or play making ability to be a FS. Bethea is making 7 mil a year that's top 5 in safeties i don't think will resign him. We could look for one in the draft in the 5th round or move Landry to FS because he has the range and let Howell play in the box.

Bethea has been a huge disappointment in pass coverage just doesn't have the speed like he use to. He's nothing more then a SS doesn't have the range or play making ability to be a FS. Bethea is making 7 mil a year that's top 5 in safeties i don't think will resign him. We could look for one in the draft in the 5th round or move Landry to FS because he has the range and let Howell play in the box.

Bethea may not be playing well in coverage but Landry is atrocious when in coverage

So would Byrd cost too much in the off season?

He's considered one of the best safeties in the league so chances are a bidding war starts and the Colts don't win.

Bethea may not be playing well in coverage but Landry is atrocious when in coverage

He's considered one of the best safeties in the league so chances are a bidding war starts and the Colts don't win.

Byrd will be the highest paid safety in the league we won't go after him. Were better off getting a FS in the draft.

Lqndry hasn't been bad in coverage at all this year. Bethea has already given up 3-4 TDs this year.

Lqndry hasn't been bad in coverage at all this year. Bethea has already given up 3-4 TDs this year.

Landry has been decent. But he's "marked," and you know what that means around these parts.

Bethea suddenly has no ability to track the ball in the air. He's one of the leaders of the team, but he needs to play better if he expects a third contract from the Colts.

I think we need to try and sign him for at least another 2 years.  But for not as much money.  

He's currently 5.75 million against the cap and his average from this contract was 6.5 million.

If we could get him for something like 3 million against the cap on a 2 year contract, I would go with that.  

We need hang onto him until we can find someone to replace him.  And I think we're gonna be busy trying to get other needs that it would be hard to get a starting level safety.  

• 2 weeks later...