Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How are the Texans going to defend us?

Coltsfanman1953

Wrong, we're a bit questionable at RB..despite my man Donald Brown

You take no chances..be conservative defensive and don't dare Andrew to beat you..

,,.,..Without Reggie and Bradshaw and D. Allen...we're not going to be that hard to defend going forward

Wrong, they'll bring pressure all day.  Luck is still vulnerable to blitzes..yes sometimes he manages to escape and make a spectacular play but other times he completely misses the blitz and gets caught for a big sack or throws an inopportune interception.  He's an incredible QB but is still learning, which is only natural.  I see Wade sticking to their formula and bringing pressure all day.

The Texans haven't shown they can do much of anything so far this yr.. The Texans have been a fraud for yrs. now. They have a couple good players and everybody else is average to below average. In all honesty, the Colts should absolutely pound the Texans into submission, but in the NFL ya just never know. Any given Sunday, ya know!

the texans as a team haven't shown they can do much but they still have a very formidable defense and a more than capable defensive coordinator.  I think the colts come out with the win but it won't be a cake walk for Luck and the offense.

Expect watt lines up in the DT position a lot of the time. Watt vs. mcglynn....yay!!!

I totally agree with you about Watt destroying McGlynn throughout the game, but Watt vs McGlynn could be favorable though. using Watt's pass rush against them by bringing a TE or slot-WR behind Watt will bring the LB's and/or Safety to the line. Doing that a few times could help us with play-action deep down the field.

My money is on heavy pressure to get in Lucks face. Dial up screens / passes out of the backfield and draw run plays. This will not be a pretty game and this will be an opportunity for TR to show us that he wasn't a mistake. (I don't think he was but many here do. Discussed at nauseum.)

saying this will be an ugly game is an understatement.  nasty D all over us, Foster running wild.  Ugh!  I'm going to keep a defibrillator charged and ready to go, in case we make a late in the game comeback or something and make it close.  They had Seattle beat and look what happened !!  So you're sayin' there's a chance?

That won't work out well for them. Andrew Luck can actually throw a football and has unbelievable pocket presence.

Wide recievers are giant question marks. They know Luck is good, but if the recievers cant step up, the passing game is the weakness. Bully the recievers and dont let yourself get beaten on the ground is the obvious defense.

Plus its still Wade Phillips, so blitzing every other down is a given.

You take no chances..be conservative defensive and don't dare Andrew to beat you..

,,.,..Without Reggie and Bradshaw and D. Allen...we're not going to be that hard to defend going forward

Mark,

I understand what you are saying and you make very good points; however, it really depends on IF a receiver emerges from the pack. Sometimes an opportunity can turn on a light bulb for a player. It is very possible that we will see that happen with Whalen or Brazil. I think we know what we will get from DHB; he is very fast and will drop a catch-able ball from time to time. 

I really believe that Whalen can shine in the slot though. 

Mark,

I understand what you are saying and you make very good points; however, it really depends on IF a receiver emerges from the pack. Sometimes an opportunity can turn on a light bulb for a player. It is very possible that we will see that happen with Whalen or Brazil. I think we know what we will get from DHB; he is very fast and will drop a catch-able ball from time to time.

I really believe that Whalen can shine in the slot though.

Whalen wont get snaps, Brazill will be playing in the slot, and Fleener will move out in 4 wide sets.

Whalen wont get snaps, Brazill will be playing in the slot, and Fleener will move out in 4 wide sets.

Obviously we should expect that Brazil will get the first opportunity and he has shown that he can make plays. Whalen is in a position to finally have a consistent opportunity of dressing though. 

I am not sold on how often or if we will even move Fleener outside. I believe we will see Whalen in the slot more than we will see Fleener outside. But as of now, it is all just a guessing game for fans. We will see Sunday what the coaches have decided.

Obviously we should expect that Brazil will get the first opportunity and he has shown that he can make plays. Whalen is in a position to finally have a consistent opportunity of dressing though.

I am not sold on how often or if we will even move Fleener outside. I believe we will see Whalen in the slot more than we will see Fleener outside. But as of now, it is all just a guessing game for fans. We will see Sunday what the coaches have decided.

I hope not. I have almost no faith in Whalen to do anything but be invisible.

I hope not. I have almost no faith in Whalen to do anything but be invisible.

Yeah I think people are over estimating his playing time.  He's gong to be the fourth WR on the roster.  If the Colts thought he should have been playing ahead of a Brazil or Hilton, or DHB he would have been on the roster and not them these past few weeks.  I am sure he might get a few snaps but my guess is that he will mostly be a special teams guy unless we have another injury at WR. 

its whose injuries make more of a difference this gaame

I don't even know how Pep will line up our receivers, let alone guess how the Texans will defend them.  If I had to guess, it will DHB getting the call for the X.  He will (must be) split wide and up on the line of scrimmage and will often draw press and/or man cover from their CB. That CB may even move with him on each side of the field.  DHB will have to beat his guy (especially off the press) and speedily get up the sideline.  If he can be successful doing that, it will draw safety cover over the top; especially in Andrew draws him that way with his eyes first. This hard to do against Ed Reed, but Luck can do it.  DHB must do his part (assuming he is the X).  If DHB does a lot of shallow crosses, I expect Texans to go zone and bring blitz packages. TY will possibly be the Z.  The flanker cannot be on the line of scrimmage, otherwise the tight end becomes ineligible.  This gives Hilton room to get out in his route largely unmolested.  It is important for him and Luck to see what leverage that DB is using, so that the correct route/throw is made. The flanker is often put in motion, so Pep could use that to help TY get in out in pattern or draw help/confusion. I think it important to keep TY out in space as often as possible, and draw help from other areas. That way TY can still be successful.  So who goes in the slot?  Does TY move and Fleener go to flanker?  Does Brazil have the speed/power to spell DHB as a X, or is he a Z?  What about Whalen?  I just do not know how Pep intends to use these guys, or maximize their strengths.  Will we use some bunch formations and scrape routes? I do not know.  But maybe the Texans aren't sure either.  It will be interesting, and see where, and how each performs.

As to the receivers, I think they are going to use TY, much like they used Reggie, almost always in motion, and coming from different spots, X, Y, ans Z. That way, it will be a lot harder to jam him at the line, and TY will be able to use this speed and quickness to get open. I also expect TY to run a lot of short to intermediate routes, either in front of, or behind the linebackers, while DHB and Brazill spread the field deep. You'll also see slants for DHB, where he can use his size to his advantage.Expect a few bubble screens as well, possibly from all 3, and I expect a few end around plays, to try to keep the D off balance.I also expect Fleener to be roaming the middle, forcing the LB's to cover him, which is a huge mismatch.

Reggie will be missed, but I think the Colts are still going to do well without him. They have the talent..its just up to them now.

I don't get your assumption of double teaming. I believe they will load the box to stop the run...and blitz luck....letting Reed roam free to play havoc in the secondary. If we struggle running...it could be a long day. I look for them to play a similar style defense as we did with the Broncos. Get physical with our receivers and try to win at the line of scrimmage. I don't think they respect our receivers except maybe spying Hilton with a safety over the top...I think they really try to bloody up the line of scrimmage and get after Luck. Can they accomplish that....yet to be seen.

The Texans will play a lot of man coverage and send 5 most of the game. DHB, Brazil, and Fleenrer have to win at the line of scrimmage because i know Hilton will. Will see more crossing routes this game to help the WR's get separation. I don't think the Texans have enough speed at CB to keep up with our WR's. Hilton and Brazil should have big games this week.