Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

***OFFICIAL RG3 EXCUSES THREAD***

jvan1973

The sense of "hate" is misdirected. I assume most people don't hate Griffin, they hate the hype.....especially when it appears the hype was in err. 

Wilson got very little pre-draft hype at all. IMO....Wilson is 10x the franchise QB that is Griffin. The hate is more directed at the media narrative and hyperbole.

I don't understand why folks let the media get to them so much .... we all know their schtick. Griff is hardly the first athlete they have hyped nor will he be the last. And in fairness, Griff more than backed up the hype with his performance last year. This year is obviously a different story with his rehab and state of team but just one season. No one looked at Manning's 6-10 season under Mora and thought he was a bad QB.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so obvious what's happened here.

RGIII is to Andrew Luck what Tom Brady was to Peyton Manning!  ;)

I'm kidding (kind of). Yes, RGIII was super-hyped last year while Luck was somewhat overlooked. But all NFL awards basically amount to a popularity contest. Not getting the OROY will not impact Luck's legacy. I'm sure that the vast majority of GMs out there would rather be building a team with Luck than RGIII at this point. 

But, coming out of the draft, isn't that what most scribes/experts said would probably happen? His style of play was supposed to lead to more immediate success for RGIII, but I thought it was pretty much agreed that Luck's long-term prospects were a lot better. "Long-term" apparently meant only two years, but seriously... you guys should just let it go. No one cares at this point about what the media was saying about these two guys last year. Except some of you, lol... 

I don't understand why folks let the media get to them so much .... we all know their schtick. Griff is hardly the first athlete they have hyped nor will he be the last. And in fairness, Griff more than backed up the hype with his performance last year. This year is obviously a different story with his rehab and state of team but just one season. No one looked at Manning's 6-10 season under Mora and thought he was a bad QB.

Its different for you because your team is a large market team, so your talked about often.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your probably a sox fan as well.  Again your in a large market and your team's exposure is constant.  Yet when it comes to indy we have Colts and the Pacers.  Even with both these teams being relatively successful they are still a small market and the National media has a harder time writting about the "awschucks" type of QB and workman like team we have.  While we do have an eccentric owner, the only time he is mentioned is when he is going off on twitter with supposed negative tweets.  I mean you guys have your own sports network and for that, I don't think you will ever understand the inferiority complex some fans have when they are a small market team.

I'm kidding (kind of). Yes, RGIII was super-hyped last year while Luck was somewhat overlooked. But all NFL awards basically amount to a popularity contest. Not getting the OROY will not impact Luck's legacy. I'm sure that the vast majority of GMs out there would rather be building a team with Luck than RGIII at this point. 

But, coming out of the draft, isn't that what most scribes/experts said would probably happen? His style of play was supposed to lead to more immediate success for RGIII, but I thought it was pretty much agreed that Luck's long-term prospects were a lot better. "Long-term" apparently meant only two years, but seriously... you guys should just let it go. No one cares at this point about what the media was saying about these two guys last year. Except some of you, lol... 

You hit the nail on the head.  The reason there is so much negativity is due to the ongoing love affair with him, kinda like Mr. UGG himself (kidding)  its true though small market fans have an inferiority complex with large market teams star players.  We want our boys getting the "love" they get.  Only until the small market team starts messing up, then we stay away from all media

Its different for you because your team is a large market team, so your talked about often.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your probably a sox fan as well.  Again your in a large market and your team's exposure is constant.  Yet when it comes to indy we have Colts and the Pacers.  Even with both these teams being relatively successful they are still a small market and the National media has a harder time writting about the "awschucks" type of QB and workman like team we have.  While we do have an eccentric owner, the only time he is mentioned is when he is going off on twitter with supposed negative tweets.  I mean you guys have your own sports network and for that, I don't think you will ever understand the inferiority complex some fans have when they are a small market team.

You hit the nail on the head.  The reason there is so much negativity is due to the ongoing love affair with him, kinda like Mr. UGG himself (kidding)  its true though small market fans have an inferiority complex with large market teams star players.  We want our boys getting the "love" they get.  Only until the small market team starts messing up, then we stay away from all media

Good points. I've always lived in NE so I've never been in a smaller media market. 

Keep in mind though, most of the media isn't worth listening to anyway, lol!  ;)

(And I bet Belichick wishes the Patriots played in Nowheresville, America instead of outside of Boston!)

Yes, good points all around but I would not say the grass greener for a large market team. The Pats may be the most hated team in all of sports and therefore the coverage is negative most of the time. On top of that, our own sportscasters have to be some of the most negative people in all of sports. You would think with the Red Sox one game from the championship that it would be all good feelings all around here but our sports guys find ways to still rip this team and second guess its manager. It is like it pains them to give credit to someone because their own lives are so miserable. I actualy think that is the undercurrent of our media at large which is why I stay away from it.

Whatever the media says about Luck or anyone other Indy sports player is irrelevant. We knew for years around here how great Brady was and the media finally caught on after his 2007 season when he lit the record books on fire. Such is life.

Yes, good points all around but I would not say the grass greener for a large market team. The Pats may be the most hated team in all of sports and therefore the coverage is negative most of the time. On top of that, our own sportscasters have to be some of the most negative people in all of sports. You would think with the Red Sox one game from the championship that it would be all good feelings all around here but our sports guys find ways to still rip this team and second guess its manager. It is like it pains them to give credit to someone because their own lives are so miserable. I actualy think that is the undercurrent of our media at large which is why I stay away from it.

Whatever the media says about Luck or anyone other Indy sports player is irrelevant. We knew for years around here how great Brady was and the media finally caught on after his 2007 season when he lit the record books on fire. Such is life.

Miami Heat & LA Lakers may give the Pats a run for the money on that one...

I think Kraft & Belichick have at least earned respect around the league...

Miami Heat & LA Lakers may give the Pats a run for the money on that one...

I think Kraft & Belichick have at least earned respect around the league...

True. Lebron may be the most hated athlete along with Kobe. I think Pats would have a better chance of being liked if Bill was not as cuddly as a cactus.

True. Lebron may be the most hated athlete along with Kobe. I think Pats would have a better chance of being liked if Bill was not as cuddly as a cactus.

Was just talking to a buddy this past weekend about how horrendous it was listening to Polian announce a game...

We then talked about how FUN it would be to hear Belichick call a game if he were to go into the press box after he is done coaching!!!

respect... but it would be EXCRUCIATING!!!!!

Was just talking to a buddy this past weekend about how horrendous it was listening to Polian announce a game...

We then talked about how FUN it would be to hear Belichick call a game if he were to go into the press box after he is done coaching!!!

respect... but it would be EXCRUCIATING!!!!!

lol. I think with Bill he is acutally pretty articulate when he is not doing a press conference. Not sure if you saw the NFL Network A Football Life on Belichick but it has some great interviews with him and he does a segment on a local show here called the "Bellistrator" where he breaks down plays from the opponent the Pats will play that Sunday. It is a really good segment.

What I really don't understand is why he acts like a CIA agent when addressing the media before/after games. Not sure if he got it from Parcells or if he is just paranoid about giving the opponent any info but it is brutal especially after a loss when every answer is either one word or a snort.

lol. I think with Bill he is acutally pretty articulate when he is not doing a press conference. Not sure if you saw the NFL Network A Football Life on Belichick but it has some great interviews with him and he does a segment on a local show here called the "Bellistrator" where he breaks down plays from the opponent the Pats will play that Sunday. It is a really good segment.

What I really don't understand is why he acts like a CIA agent when addressing the media before/after games. Not sure if he got it from Parcells or if he is just paranoid about giving the opponent any info but it is brutal especially after a loss when every answer is either one word or a snort.

I have yet to see any of the A Football Life films, I did hear that Bill's was well done (best of the series to date)...

I still haven't seen the Book of Manning 30/30 film, work schedule makes it hard, I am lucky to see more than a quarter of the Monday & Thursday night games...

friggin work getting in the way of the important things in life...

Coming out of the draft Griffin was supposed to be more of a long-term project, a real high ceiling/low floor kind of player.  Luck was supposedly more of a day one NFL natural with marginally lesser physical gifts but substantially more familiarity with the style of offense employed in the league.  The results last season were largely the opposite of what SHOULD have happened.  Griffin was the highly accurate guy who seemed supernaturally comfortable in his role while Luck looked a little more uneven and more like a rookie - albeit a prolific one.  That mostly comes down to scheme... Arians runs a terrible offensive scheme that really only made sense with Ben Roethlisberger and certainly didn't suit Luck.  Griffin was made more comfortable by the Skins' coaching staff and didn't have the same volume of throws being in more of a ball control style offense.

This year the two have swapped places and are looking like they were SUPPOSED to look like as rookies.  Luck's in the right system for him with less throwing volume and a resulting substantial improvement in completion % and turnovers, Griffin is looking like someone whose game needs adjustments but, somewhat curiously, still isn't TOO far behind Luck statistically (looking at it now, Luck is on pace for a nearly identical statistical effort in 2013 as Griffin had in 2012).  The Redskins aren't doing balance very well this year on offense and, unlike the Colts, our defense hasn't seen the kind of improvement necessary to relieve a little pressure.

I have yet to see any of the A Football Life films, I did hear that Bill's was well done (best of the series to date)...

I still haven't seen the Book of Manning 30/30 film, work schedule makes it hard, I am lucky to see more than a quarter of the Monday & Thursday night games...

friggin work getting in the way of the important things in life...

I actually thought the Belichick one was quite boring. I'm sorry, but watching a 60 year old man fiddle with his car radio clock in not quality tv. I have only caught parts of the one on John Riggins....much more entertaining.

I actually thought the Belichick one was quite boring. I'm sorry, but watching a 60 year old man fiddle with his car radio clock in not quality tv. I have only caught parts of the one on John Riggins....much more entertaining.

AHHH, I stand corrected, I did see the one on Riggins. That was entertaining television for sure. They broke the mold with that guy...

Like I said I hadn't seen the Belichick  anyways, a buddy said the Belichick one was better than some of the others, so I was just going by what he said...

I think his comment was something to the extent that Bill was more candid & didn't seem as uptight or something, so that echoed what the Pats fan was saying...

He got it from being burned by the media in Cleveland.

I think its more of a your darned if you do, and darned if you don't.  The smaller market fan will always want the spotlight on their team, while the large market team is under constant scrutiny.  Personally while I do enjoy hearing about our boys in blue, I prefer to have the spotlight stay on the broncos, pats etc. because I dont know if this forum could stand being under the constant microscope.  If the national media doesn't give us praise, so what. ESPN will keep their media machine running on whatever spectacular team/player they can and squeeze every drop of coverage out of it they can.  I would hate to think what would have happened if our punter got drunk and hoped the fence at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Coming out of the draft Griffin was supposed to be more of a long-term project, a real high ceiling/low floor kind of player.  Luck was supposedly more of a day one NFL natural with marginally lesser physical gifts but substantially more familiarity with the style of offense employed in the league.  The results last season were largely the opposite of what SHOULD have happened.  Griffin was the highly accurate guy who seemed supernaturally comfortable in his role while Luck looked a little more uneven and more like a rookie - albeit a prolific one.  That mostly comes down to scheme... Arians runs a terrible offensive scheme that really only made sense with Ben Roethlisberger and certainly didn't suit Luck.  Griffin was made more comfortable by the Skins' coaching staff and didn't have the same volume of throws being in more of a ball control style offense.

This year the two have swapped places and are looking like they were SUPPOSED to look like as rookies.  Luck's in the right system for him with less throwing volume and a resulting substantial improvement in completion % and turnovers, Griffin is looking like someone whose game needs adjustments but, somewhat curiously, still isn't TOO far behind Luck statistically (looking at it now, Luck is on pace for a nearly identical statistical effort in 2013 as Griffin had in 2012).  The Redskins aren't doing balance very well this year on offense and, unlike the Colts, our defense hasn't seen the kind of improvement necessary to relieve a little pressure.

I do remember the notion that Luck was more NFL-ready, but would be playing in a more conventional offense of course. I like both guys a lot, and think the criticism of RG3 this year is pretty unfair... he lost his entire offseason following his rookie year. That's an almost impossible situation for any young QB because you're not developing but the league overall continues to adjust to you. 

I guess the question now is what their respective ceilings will be. 

I found Nolan Nawrocki's 2012 pre draft opinion on RG3 and I think other than the slight knock on his running abilities , his concerns were spot on. Teams are now trying to pressure him up the middle and take away his first read. Big question is can he be taught to have better pocket presence and how much better will he learn to read an NFL defense. Also did Shanahan's "win now" mode hurt his development ? 

Here's part of his write up on RG3.

Positives:

Outstanding deep-ball touch and accuracy; can drop it in a bucket and place it in tight spots. Highly competitive. Can adjust his throwing platform on the move, hasten his delivery and snap it from multiple arm angles. Can uncork it with ease. Quick to locate open receivers and will keep his eyes downfield in the face of duress. Competitive with the ball in his hands and picks up yardage in chunks. Has sprinter’s straight-line speed and is effective scrambling outside the pocket. Comes from a military family that has instilled structure in his life. Extremely smart. Mentally tough — responds to a challenge. Came through in the clutch against Oklahoma and Washington and showed he can produce under the bright lights. Rare production. Gained a staggering 10.7 yards per attempt and proved capable of consistently flipping the field in a few plays.

Negatives:

Lacks ideal height. Ran a spread-option offense featuring many simple, one-look reads and lateral passes that inflated his statistics. Works exclusively out of the shotgun. Will use a side-arm and three-quarters delivery with a low release point that leads to batted balls. Makes his receivers adjust to the ball. Average anticipatory instincts and timing — is late to deliver the ball. Is not built to withstand a pounding and take punishment. Not an agile, make-you-miss runner — does not make full-speed cuts. Feels pocket ghosts and seeks to vacate prematurely — must continue refining pocket instincts. Too often late to see and feel pressure — takes unnecessary hits and durability could become an issue. Has 31 career fumbles and lost nearly half — can improve ball security on the move. 

Summary:

I found Nolan Nawrocki's 2012 pre draft opinion on RG3 and I think other than the slight knock on his running abilities , his concerns were spot on. Teams are now trying to pressure him up the middle and take away his first read. Big question is can he be taught to have better pocket presence and how much better will he learn to read an NFL defense. Also did Shanahan's "win now" mode hurt his development ? 

Here's part of his write up on RG3.

It's certainly pretty accurate.

I think Griffin handles pressure quite well overall.  His field vision is the thing that holds him back more than anything else at the moment.  If he was better at moving through his progressions and anticipating coverage gaps he'd be almost impossible to blitz with his quick release and athleticism.

It's certainly pretty accurate.

I think Griffin handles pressure quite well overall.  His field vision is the thing that holds him back more than anything else at the moment.  If he was better at moving through his progressions and anticipating coverage gaps he'd be almost impossible to blitz with his quick release and athleticism.

My big concern would be is Shanahan working to make him more of a "conventional" type QB ? Or is he just trying to run an offense that will produce the most wins as quickly as possible ? Or is it possible to do both ? I think RG3 needs to be protected a bit from what we have seen him run in the first year and 1/2 as he just is taking too many big hits. Not only that , but it seems defenses catch up with all the gimmick stuff sooner rather than latter. 

Hopefully he's able to get past the few issues holding his game back as he is a unique talent. We've seen guys with similar running abilities but not with this kind of arm talent. Plus he's intelligent and is a good leader. As far as the Luck vs RG3 thing , we should really leave that to *s like Skip Baylis. I'll admit that I was a little put off last year with the talking heads saying RG# was the better QB. The stats I guess backed it up but Colt fans felt that our guy was working under a different set of variables. Lets face it , there will always be fans arguing over whose QB is better. Fact is that no one QB will ever really stand heads and shoulders above the others. So really why the big RG3 vs Luck thing ? The Colts took the higher rated , safer guy and the Redskins made that trade being happy with either player the Colts left for them. So really pretty silly for fan bases wanting the other guy to fail.

Put up 30 today. More than three times as many points as Luck vs. the Chargers ...

What a bad post.

1) 6 were in overtime.

2) Garcon was making spectacular plays all over the field.

3) SD controlled the ball the whole game. .....Limited possessions for the Colts.

4) Luck played fine and was on target . The Colts had 5 dropped balls (see #2) that killed any chance they had to win.

That said , RG3 was very accurate and had by far his best game. 

What a bad post.

1) 6 were in overtime.

2) Garcon was making spectacular plays all over the field.

3) SD controlled the ball the whole game. .....Limited possessions for the Colts.

4) Luck played fine and was on target . The Colts had 5 dropped balls (see #2) that killed any chance they had to win.

That said , RG3 was very accurate and had by far his best game. 

If there is a post about his pick six in the first quarter expect a response when he rebounds and puts up 30 ...

RG3 has been a game manager each game I've watched him play ever. They rely heavily on their run game and Morris' ability to get those tough 4 or 5 yard runs. RG3, as a passer, is barely above average. Factor that in with fact that he's always due for an injury with all those big hits, it's pretty obvious Wash isn't set at QB for the future as well as they would like. 

The junk is only hear cause ppl like you overrate RG and ppl can agree he is good but you always bring in that he is better then luck which is just pure garbage

Find one post where I say RG is better than Luck. You won't find it. You will find a ton of posts by me saying I believe Luck is the better all around QB and a beast which he is. He was not overhyped when they compared him to Elway. I just don't think RG is dead and buried as many on this thread seem to want to believe because his success somehow takes the shine off your guy. RG is 3-5 with the Vikings coming up on Thursday. If he wins that he is 4-5 which is a game better then he was  last year when he went 3-6 in his first nine before ripping off 7 wins to take the division.

If there is a post about his pick six in the first quarter expect a response when he rebounds and puts up 30 ...

It was an RG3 thread and a poster just said pick 6. It wasn't a horrible play by RG3 . A lineman deflected a pass at the LOS. His sidearm delivery will get some of these type plays. But wasn't really anything other than a comment by a poster watching the game and saying "pick 6." Anyway according to your brain and the way it works , if Robert Griffin played the jets next week and had say a 100 QB rating , that would make him compare favorably to  Brady ...who had something like a 50 QB rating 2 weeks ago ?