Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

***OFFICIAL RG3 EXCUSES THREAD***

jvan1973

I have not had a time to look at his stats too closely this year . . . but last year he has a lot of rushing yards . . . and a few rushing TDs from what I recall . . . and I think some people, and glad to see you are not one of them, do not understand that rushing yards are just as valuable as passing yards.  so if a QB contributes X yards to the offense, either through the air or by his feet, to me its the same . . . i think sometimes what got lost in the shuffle, and I am glad to see that you understand this . . . a lot of people when reviewing RGIII last year do not include his rushing yards as contribution to the offense and just look at the passing yards . . .  

thats pretty myopic, guess u have to go 93 yards for longest runTD &  to start game yet  like Pryor yesterday to get recognized

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree, but I think I'm more interested in the comments AMfootball has made about the present body of work.  From what I have seen, and mind you this is only my opinion, RG3 has immense talent, but his football intellect isn't up to the standard necessary to achieve QB Elite.  Luck while being carried (thankfully Indy figured it out and followed the Brady model :-) )  has shown to me that he has the know how to not make a mistake twice and throw NFL level throws coupled with knowing the good decisions from the bad. 

But on a final note agreed on lets let their careers play out to see it.  It will be fun to watch !

I hear yah and I do not want to dis a running QB . . .  but many times running QB do not have the same ah . .  .patience as the pocket passing and do not run through all of the reads . . . one can not be talented in all areas . . . so if you are a great runner . . . something else might not be as strong . . . also perhaps too he has been able to do most of what he does with his legs and supported the same from his coaches and plays and as such does not have as much experience with these sort of things as a pocket passer would have to the same time in his career . . .  

running is great but that asset can be taken away with an injury . . . where as the more brain power portion of the QB can not be taken away short of getting a concussion which effect your thinking moving forward, which is rarer than getting hit in the middle of the field . . .

Not meaning to jump on the rampage that is on you.  BUT lets put Brady to the side 

What is it that you are seeing that makes RG3's season last year better than Luck's?  (I'm trying to have an intellectual football conversation mind you so let us leave everyone else's posts out of this.)

As far as I'm seeing nothing you can say would realistically say he had the better season save that he won the RoTY award... which was well questionable to say the least since Russell Wilson clearly deserved it by far.  From my perspective:

1.Luck had an offense that didn't help him at all, on contrast RG3 had an offense tailored to help him "ease" into the NFL game.

2. Luck threw for record yardage and record late minute drives, RG3 had a fumbling problem.

3. RG3 ran a whole bunch of yards against -15 defenses. Luck has little response in this area except that he ran TD's in

4. Luck was hit a whole bunch more threw many more passes, but also had a lot of more INT.  RG3 was asked to do very little but run the ball and pass on first read...

5. Record alone favors Luck over RG3

6.  Last year the Texans were considered a more competitive team for the Super Bowl than any team in the NFC East.  Competition would thus slightly lean to Luck as the teams in the NFC East all were bad.  (I know Titans and Jags are terribad but one Super Bowl contender makes up for that I'd say wouldn't you?  I guess this is debatable.

This is without accounting instability at the coaching position last year for Luck and a Defense in the middle of a scheme transition.

No rampage here. lol.

I think you hit the nail on the head. RG was ROTY and the only other contender was Wilson. Luck's completion percentage and INT/TD ratio were not very good especially compared to RGs. The QBs ability to complete passes and not turn the ball are over are key to the position. Not to mention RGs rush yardage and TDs. He was the logical and most deserving ROTY IMO. But like you said an awful lot was put on Luck's shoulders and for sure he did a lot with what he was given but his peformance was not at RGs level and I think the Colts understood that which is why they hired Pep and brought the run game and improved D. Luck is much better managing the game and staying upright then slinging the ball for picks and taking hits.

funny thing is I am sure things like ROTY means way more to fans than it does the actual players...

Things like winning your division & getting into the playoffs seem to be the most important thing to the players, both things that RG3 can still do while banged up along the sidelines since the NFC East is quite possibly the worst division in the NFL...

Really? The birdman Koko B. Ware.

loved him as a kid until I saw Jake the Snake destroy him at Hara Arena in Dayton when I was like 8...

That's the day I started rooting for the heels...

I just joke because, I only was able to see the end of the game and I turned the game on during the drive where RG was getting tossed around like a WWE superstar!!!

No rampage here. lol.

I think you hit the nail on the head. RG was ROTY and the only other contender was Wilson. Luck's completion percentage and INT/TD ratio were not very good especially compared to RGs. The QBs ability to complete passes and not turn the ball are over are key to the position. Not to mention RGs rush yardage and TDs. He was the logical and most deserving ROTY IMO. But like you said an awful lot was put on Luck's shoulders and for sure he did a lot with what he was given but his peformance was not at RGs level and I think the Colts understood that which is why they hired Pep and brought the run game and improved D. Luck is much better managing the game and staying upright then slinging the ball for picks and taking hits.

Understood, RG3 did have more numbers that translated to a successful QB with the TD to INT ratio, but other than that I don't understand what puts him in a class as way better year.  Too me if anything Luck had the better year since RoTY like the MVP is supposed to place what value you had on your team in aspect to the rest of the league right?  With RG3's circumstance I can't say that because Morris has an amazing year for a rookie running back and carried many many games and gave RG3 what he needed to be successful... another threat in the backfield.

So I think I understand what you are saying, that by the number RG3 had the better year, but if you take circumstance into consideration Luck had more value.  I can agree with that. (Darn you Bruce Arians) :-)  The reason why I place Wilson at the top last year though was that SEA was mediocre before he got there.  And all of a sudden he comes in and takes the team to the next level.  That right there shows his value to the team, plus on top of that he had stats that helped his team rather than hurt.

Understood, RG3 did have more numbers that translated to a successful QB with the TD to INT ratio, but other than that I don't understand what puts him in a class as way better year.  Too me if anything Luck had the better year since RoTY like the MVP is supposed to place what value you had on your team in aspect to the rest of the league right?  With RG3's circumstance I can't say that because Morris has an amazing year for a rookie running back and carried many many games and gave RG3 what he needed to be successful... another threat in the backfield.

So I think I understand what you are saying, that by the number RG3 had the better year, but if you take circumstance into consideration Luck had more value.  I can agree with that. (Darn you Bruce Arians) :-)  The reason why I place Wilson at the top last year though was that SEA was mediocre before he got there.  And all of a sudden he comes in and takes the team to the next level.  That right there shows his value to the team, plus on top of that he had stats that helped his team rather than hurt.

RG had Morris but Luck had Wayne who had a career year for him. I think the two balanced each other. And many of Morris' yards came on the read option because RG was such a threat with his legs.

I think both QBs were invaulable to their respective teams. Both would be MVPs along with Wilson but the best year statiscally was RG that is why I said he had the better year.

No rampage here. lol.

You know next to nothing about this game of ours. I'm so bored with your monotonous ramblings about Brady > Manning and RG3 > Luck. You are just a wind up merchant and it's yawnsville....

loved him as a kid until I saw Jake the Snake destroy him at Hara Arena in Dayton when I was like 8...

That's the day I started rooting for the heels...

I just joke because, I only was able to see the end of the game and I turned the game on during the drive where RG was getting tossed around like a WWE superstar!!!

Koko was underated as a singles wrestler... I liked the tag team of him, and the late Owen Hart. Speaking of Robert Griffin III I have seen him take a perfect belly to back suplex in a game... and sell it better than John Cena ever could.

/Roddy Piper fan

I have said from the beginning of last yr. that this yr. would be the true telling point of both QB's. I said when teams start defending the read option better that Bob3 was going to have to learn how to be a real QB and not just depend on his legs to constantly get himself out of trouble. It's overwhelmingly clear that Bob3 hasn't learned anything yet about being a real NFL QB. Teams have taken his running ability away from him and he has looked absolutely terrible. His throws are awful, his accuracy is Jamarcis Russell like, and his decision making is comically bad.

He is throwing more and more side armed with his delivery and his passes are all over the place. He literally looks God awful and like he doesn't even deserve to be a starting QB. How anybody can try and say that he's coming around and getting better is beyond me. Apparently anybody that does say such nonsense hasn't really watched him play to see just how bad he has been. He has regressed dramatically from last yr. and it's all a result of defenses knowing how to defend him now. He has shown that he can not adjust so far and IMO, it's because he bought into his hype from last yr. so much that he still thinks he can't do any wrong. He needs to lose his enormous ego and swallow his pride. Otherwise, he's not long for this league.

time will tell how the RGIII and Luck scenario pans out and it will be fun to watch . . . Luck had to good fortune to land on a team that has had a winning pedigree and several division titles under its belt prior to his arrival.  the Washington Redskins have been in the NFL wasteland for essentially two decades . . .. so the team around RGIII is not as strong as luck's . . .

but as AMfootball mentioned lets give it some time, it is only a season and a half . . . I would take luck over RGIII in the draft, but does not mean that I am right, RGIII might end up surpassing Luck as there careers move forward. 

so far this year RGIII has not done well and really lay an egg when his team was up and he had a chance to help his team win against the strong broncos but could not get it done . . . .

This picture will be more clear as we move forward, we can revisit it at the 3 year mark and again at the 5 year mark and so on . . .  

EDIT sorry for small font not sure what happened . . .

Trying to find a magnifying glass and will respond accordingly.

You are fooling nobody with that codswallop. I have pet hates, it's ok to be honest, rather than try and cover up your views.

I am being honest, and im not covering up my views at al. You're completely misinterpreting them. If you refuse to go look at my past posts to prove my point, than please stop responding to me and carry on. 

Oh yawn, another RG3 apologist.  Hey I like him - I really do.  But he inherited a playoff caliber team, the Skins traded UP to get him instead of being rotten enough to "Earn" him (!), and to they won even when RG3 was injured for a start last season!  Andrew Luck inherited a team that was 2-14, had their up and coming receiver sign with....uh, the Redskins, and basically virtually the roster was gutted.  Now who was really the ROY - I know in the popularity contest who it was, but who was really the ROY?  Voters should be ashamed. 

I have said from the beginning of last yr. that this yr. would be the true telling point of both QB's. I said when teams start defending the read option better that Bob3 was going to have to learn how to be a real QB and not just depend on his legs to constantly get himself out of trouble. It's overwhelmingly clear that Bob3 hasn't learned anything yet about being a real NFL QB. Teams have taken his running ability away from him and he has looked absolutely terrible. His throws are awful, his accuracy is Jamarcis Russell like, and his decision making is comically bad.

He is throwing more and more side armed with his delivery and his passes are all over the place. He literally looks God awful and like he doesn't even deserve to be a starting QB. How anybody can try and say that he's coming around and getting better is beyond me. Apparently anybody that does say such nonsense hasn't really watched him play to see just how bad he has been. He has regressed dramatically from last yr. and it's all a result of defenses knowing how to defend him now. He has shown that he can not adjust so far and IMO, it's because he bought into his hype from last yr. so much that he still thinks he can't do any wrong. He needs to lose his enormous ego and swallow his pride. Otherwise, he's not long for this league.

Pressure up the middle , hit the QB on the read option. This along with the fact that RG111 has no pocket presence and can't go through a progression of reads now put him "light years " behind Luck. Do you know why He takes so many big hits ? Not even talking about the fact that Shanahan is trying to run a college style offense to cover his weaknesses. I mean in just conventional pass plays. The guy takes big hits ... hits you don't see players like Manning , Brady or Brees take. Luck has it .. RG111 doesn not. You give  ? OK.. it's his lack of pocket presence . The guys like Manning , that have eyes in the back of their heads never take the monster hits. Guys like RG111 , that see ghosts in the pocket will always take monster hits.

Pressure up the middle , hit the QB on the read option. This along with the fact that RG111 has no pocket presence and can't go through a progression of reads now put him "light years " behind Luck. Do you know why He takes so many big hits ? Not even talking about the fact that Shanahan is trying to run a college style offense to cover his weaknesses. I mean in just conventional pass plays. The guy takes big hits ... hits you don't see players like Manning , Brady or Brees take. Luck has it .. RG111 doesn not. You give  ? OK.. it's his lack of pocket presence . The guys like Manning , that have eyes in the back of their heads never take the monster hits. Guys like RG111 , that see ghosts in the pocket will always take monster hits.

I agree. Bob3 is not what many thought he was last yr.. He isn't a conventional NFL QB and IMO never will be. We have all seen these guys come around before and it never lasts long in the NFL. It's great in college, but not in the pro's. He literally has yrs. of work ahead of him to even be in Luck's ballpark. He still has no idea how to read a defense and IMO his ego will keep him from progressing where he needs to be. I get the feeling from just listening to him talk that he believe's he's great and does not need to learn anymore. Unless he has a major attitude change, he will never make it.

Last year.

Luck fans:

“Absolutely no O-line. Sacked 41 times, knocked down over 100 times. Asked to throw 30-50 plus times a game with a lot of those times running for his life or with defenders hanging on him or while he was falling down. No running game for support. Average defense.”

RG-through fans:

“Luck had 18 INTs and 54% Completion percentage. Mediocre at best.

RG3 is god.”

This year.

RG-through fans:

“Defense is terrible. No O-line. Knee injury(though he has stated on more than one occasion that he is 100% and ready to do what he did last year. “I have been here a whole year and already know that we don’t need preseason”). Coaching staff sucks. Can’t complete passes when laying on his back. Luck is mediocre at best because his team is helping him.

RG3 is god.”

Luck fans:

“We tried to tell you. How does it feel when the shoe is on the other foot?”

Funny how all the above mentioned problems had no baring at all in RG worshipers minds when it applied to Luck but is highly relevant and a major reason why RG-through is mediocre this year.

Last year.

Luck fans:

“Absolutely no O-line. Sacked 41 times, knocked down over 100 times. Asked to throw 30-50 plus times a game with a lot of those times running for his life or with defenders hanging on him or while he was falling down. No running game for support. Average defense.”

RG-through fans:

“Luck had 18 INTs and 54% Completion percentage. Mediocre at best.

RG3 is god.”

This year.

RG-through fans:

“Defense is terrible. No O-line. Knee injury(though he has stated on more than one occasion that he is 100% and ready to do what he did last year. “I have been here a whole year and already know that we don’t need preseason”). Coaching staff sucks. Can’t complete passes when laying on his back. Luck is mediocre at best because his team is helping him.

RG3 is god.”

Luck fans:

“We tried to tell you. How does it feel when the shoe is on the other foot?”

Funny how all the above mentioned problems had no baring at all in RG worshipers minds when it applied to Luck but is highly relevant and a major reason why RG-through is mediocre this year.

Lol, I can't tell if this is for Luck or against Luck. Other than that, I agree.

I agree. Bob3 is not what many thought he was last yr.. He isn't a conventional NFL QB and IMO never will be. We have all seen these guys come around before and it never lasts long in the NFL. It's great in college, but not in the pro's. He literally has yrs. of work ahead of him to even be in Luck's ballpark. He still has no idea how to read a defense and IMO his ego will keep him from progressing where he needs to be. I get the feeling from just listening to him talk that he believe's he's great and does not need to learn anymore. Unless he has a major attitude change, he will never make it.

Funny but all the things we see now are the reasons he started off being around the 10th best prospect in that 2011 draft class. Bad pocket presence , never had to read a defense in college , sidearm delivery , never played behind center in college , inflated college stats due to the Baylor offense. Being fair some of the low initial ranking was due to questions about his height . When he measures 6'2" at the combine , this "worry" was erased. 

Anyway , the hype started and they loved the RG111 interviews and suddenly , somehow he was even with Luck in many circles. Then Shanahan says "pee on " developing this guy into a "conventional" NFL QB. He wants to win now and devises an offense to cover up all the flaws in his game. This year he was equally delusional when he said "anything short of the SB will be a disappointment." Fast forward this to now and you have what we have gone over. A QB that is actually regressing from year 1 and has not learned a thing about reading a defense or running an offense that will let him survive being torn apart by big hits. Very short sighted and stupid by Shanhan.

As far as the attitude thing . Did you notice that is was very important for RG111 to be told by Washington that they would have taken him over Luck ? He brought this up at least 3-4 different times. Our goofy guy on the other hand could have cared less and said he feels absolutely uncompelled to prove he was a better QB than RG3. IMO.. you have one guy that loves the spot light and press clippings and another that just wants to get better and help his team win.

As far as the attitude thing . Did you notice that is was very important for RG111 to be told by Washington that they would have taken him over Luck ? He brought this up at least 3-4 different times. Our goofy guy on the other hand could have cared less and said he feels absolutely uncompelled to prove he was a better QB than RG3. IMO.. you have one guy that loves the spot light and press clippings and another that just wants to get better and help his team win

Bob3 is a media prostitute. He love's being the center of attention like a 15 yr. old girl. When everybody and their brother jumped on his undeserved bandwagon last yr. it just made his already huge ego grow out of control. I said before this season started that he would have a long fall from the huge pedestal the media put him on. He's falling further every week, but somehow his ego remains the same. When he's out of the league and broke, maybe it will finally dawn on him he should have studied the game more instead of always seeking out the camera's.

Funny but all the things we see now are the reasons he started off being around the 10th best prospect in that 2011 draft class. Bad pocket presence , never had to read a defense in college , sidearm delivery , never played behind center in college , inflated college stats due to the Baylor offense. Being fair some of the low initial ranking was due to questions about his height . When he measures 6'2" at the combine , this "worry" was erased. 

Anyway , the hype started and they loved the RG111 interviews and suddenly , somehow he was even with Luck in many circles. Then Shanahan says "pee on " developing this guy into a "conventional" NFL QB. He wants to win now and devises an offense to cover up all the flaws in his game. This year he was equally delusional when he said "anything short of the SB will be a disappointment." Fast forward this to now and you have what we have gone over. A QB that is actually regressing from year 1 and has not learned a thing about reading a defense or running an offense that will let him survive being torn apart by big hits. Very short sighted and stupid by Shanhan.

As far as the attitude thing . Did you notice that is was very important for RG111 to be told by Washington that they would have taken him over Luck ? He brought this up at least 3-4 different times. Our goofy guy on the other hand could have cared less and said he feels absolutely uncompelled to prove he was a better QB than RG3. IMO.. you have one guy that loves the spot light and press clippings and another that just wants to get better and help his team win.

I agree with you on the attitude thing. I think RGs expectations of himself were not realistic this year. One of our radio guys here said that football has a way of humbling you. I think in the long run it will be good for RG.

Luck is kind of an enigma IMO. He says the right things all the time but there is a fire burning there. He wants to win and get better and make Indy forget all about Manning.

I agree with you on the attitude thing. I think RGs expectations of himself were not realistic this year. One of our radio guys here said that football has a way of humbling you. I think in the long run it will be good for RG.

Luck is kind of an enigma IMO. He says the right things all the time but there is a fire burning there. He wants to win and get better and make Indy forget all about Manning.

Andrew for sure is not a fun guy for the press. At least guys like Brady and Manning who almost always "say the right things" have a little "fire" or controversy . This guy Luck woudn't say the 4 letter sh word if he had a mouth full of it.

Andrew for sure is not a fun guy for the press. At least guys like Brady and Manning who almost always "say the right things" have a little "fire" or controversy . This guy Luck woudn't say the 4 letter sh word if he had a mouth full of it.

He is kind of like Eli in that regard. Aw shucks kind of attitude but a locker room leader unlike Eli.

Bob3 is a media prostitute. He love's being the center of attention like a 15 yr. old girl. When everybody and their brother jumped on his undeserved bandwagon last yr. it just made his already huge ego grow out of control. I said before this season started that he would have a long fall from the huge pedestal the media put him on. He's falling further every week, but somehow his ego remains the same. When he's out of the league and broke, maybe it will finally dawn on him he should have studied the game more instead of always seeking out the camera's.

Holly batman ... you don't give him much of a chance. I agree that he has been a media hound but I really don't know about his work ethic. I tend to blame Shanahan for where's he's at right now but no doubt pure conjecture on my part.

Holly batman ... you don't give him much of a chance. I agree that he has been a media hound but I really don't know about his work ethic. I tend to blame Shanahan for where's he's at right now but no doubt pure conjecture on my part.

I tell it like I see it. I'm not saying he won't make it, I'm saying he needs a serious attitude adjustment. IMO he's more worried about the spotlight than he is improving his game because I believe he thinks he's already great. Just what I pick up from him and I'm a very good judge of character. If he decides that working on his craft is more important than trying to be a media superstar, then he has a chance, but he needs to grow up.

I am very impressed by RG3 but he is going to have to learn to protect his body. It won't take too many 350-pound pancake jobs like he got last night before he's again on Injured Reserve. Last year, busted knee...yesterday, ALMOST a busted knee (the other knee this time). He won't last four years if he cannot keep from taking punishment like he got last night.

Holy crap, some of you guys really hate RG3 lol.

Our guy is better than Griffin, can't you just live with that? Or do you have to go out of your way to hate on the other guy?

The media started the war by putting Griffin on a pedastal after one year in an unconventional offense that has since been brought back down to earth. Some fans who never bought it are now intent on crowing now that his abilities seem more average. Its funny how some people want to bash them for it, when they endured all kinds of bashing for Indy taking Luck over RG3.

People shouldnt give if they cant take back.

Holy crap, some of you guys really hate RG3 lol.

Our guy is better than Griffin, can't you just live with that?  Or do you have to go out of your way to hate on the other guy?

The sense of "hate" is misdirected. I assume most people don't hate Griffin, they hate the hype.....especially when it appears the hype was in err. 

Wilson got very little pre-draft hype at all. IMO....Wilson is 10x the franchise QB that is Griffin. The hate is more directed at the media narrative and hyperbole.

The sense of "hate" is misdirected. I assume most people don't hate Griffin, they hate the hype.....especially when it appears the hype was in err.

Wilson got very little pre-draft hype at all. IMO....Wilson is 10x the franchise QB that is Griffin. The hate is more directed at the media narrative and hyperbole.

Add to that, the fact that everything Andrew did last year was always tempered by "RG3 doing it better" by the media and fans.

Didn't leave a great taste in people's mouths.

Add to that, the fact that everything Andrew did last year was always tempered by "RG3 doing it better" by the media and fans.

Didn't leave a great taste in people's mouths.

Exactly. As well, Indy fans are privy to the advantage of a truly gifted drop-back pocket passer over a "scrambler". Due to Griffin's unfortunate injury, his run game was taken away and we all have now seen that his ability as a drop-back passer is on the level of mediocre.