Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I know this sounds crazy, but...(trade option)

BProland85

Would this year before the trade deadline be a good time to consider trading safety Antoine Bethea for either draft picks or another starter or 2 in other areas of need?

Hear me out on this. Bethea will be 30 next summer, and safety seems to be a position where our depth is pretty good since we do have Lefeged and Delano Howell as backups to Bethea. If we can continue to get younger and add playmakers in areas of greater need like DL, pass rush, and OL, trading Antoine might be a way to speed up this rebuilt team. Plus he will be a free agent next year and Im not sure about handing out a big deal to a 30 year old safety. There will be options to replace him unless Lefeged or Howell can prove worthy.

Bethea is someone who has the most trade value on the team without killing the team once traded in my opinion. Feel free to call me out on this if I'm way off base here.

I should really just not read anything that is a trade thread that titles itself as "crazy"
But come on....that doesn't make any sense.  Bethea is a very decent safety who is a leader for the secondary and plays hard.  What could we possibly, and more importantly REALISTICALLY, get in return for Bethea that would immediately improve this team which does have legit playoff aspirations.

nothing is the answer.

Our Defensive backfield is already worrying me after this past game(specifically Toler).I would hate to see how we looked without Bethea(who actually made a couple of good plays yesterday).

I really love our Safety duo and think they could be one of the best in the league, so I wouldn't be happy with a trade.

Really don't see Bethea asking for a big contract. But if he does pull a Dwight Freeney, he'll find his way to the door

Grigson isn't giving older player's big payouts. Just not gonna happen especially when we have to keep enough cap room to re-sign the rookie class from last year mostly Andrew Luck but Ty Hilton and others are making strong cases for big payouts

I should really just not read anything that is a trade thread that titles itself as "crazy"

But come on....that doesn't make any sense.  Bethea is a very decent safety who is a leader for the secondary and plays hard.  What could we possibly, and more importantly REALISTICALLY, get in return for Bethea that would immediately improve this team which does have legit playoff aspirations.

nothing is the answer.

While I respect your option, I completely disagree with not being able to get much back for him.

Our Defensive backfield is already worrying me after this past game(specifically Toler).I would hate to see how we looked without Bethea(who actually made a couple of good plays yesterday).

I really love our Safety duo and think they could be one of the best in the league, so I wouldn't be happy with a trade.

Some of you are putting way too much into Greg Toler's play. It was Mike Wallace people. How many CB's has he gotten behind since being in the NFL? Plenty. Stop trying to make Toler seem horrible. He's done well since he's been here and I do believe leads the team in turnovers or is tied. Think it's him and Bethea.

I'm not worried about him being beaten by Mike Wallace. Even with his bad play(s), we still could've and should've won that game. Once the pass rush gets better the coverage in the secondary will be better. Giving Ryan Tannehill 4-6 seconds to find one of the fastest WR's in the game and that would've happened to ANY secondary (except maybe Seattle's)

:rantoff:

Bethea is a guy who plays well enough in our system.  he doesnt make a ton of flashy plays and I don't see how he has much trade value.
In theory, what positions would you even think could be traded for with a guy like Bethea on a one year deal

This kind of trade sounds more like a NBA/Madden trade than an NFL trade

We would have to resign him first and eat alot of his contract I bet, Im not against it if we are looking to capitalize by getting younger and talented but do we really want to trade a good Safety and draft one high when ya already have a good but not great one starting (which is what we would have to do unless you want to put some mid to late round pick out their from day 1 or put Howell out their only to find out his preseason success was just do to limited playing time and the more he was in the more his shortcomings would come out, I'd like to see what he can do with more playing time, but do ya risk it?), I think we will need more pass rush talent in the early rounds and a D Lineman and Guard rather then worry about replacing a good player with a good player at Safety, Resign Bethea to a 2-3 year deal and revisit the idea in a year or at most 2 years while continuing to watch Howell

Bethea is a guy who plays well enough in our system.  he doesnt make a ton of flashy plays and I don't see how he has much trade value.

In theory, what positions would you even think could be traded for with a guy like Bethea on a one year deal

This kind of trade sounds more like a NBA/Madden trade than an NFL trade

You are right about him having very little trade value. How many trades do you see being made these days? Usually a player goes for a low round draft pick.

curious.... When did Dwight do that?

Umm...I'd like to see the proof Freeney actually did that...

Freeney never did that to the Colts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/dwight-freeney-looking-for-more-than-osi-umenyioras-deal-with-falcons/

IMO, $6-8 million was too much for Freeney. That's just my opinion, you guys can say what you want about it

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/dwight-freeney-looking-for-more-than-osi-umenyioras-deal-with-falcons/

IMO, $6-8 million was too much for Freeney. That's just my opinion, you guys can say what you want about it

**reportedly**! No quote marks in that article whatsoever coming from the horses mouth...

After the Colts announced they won't resign him. Just because he asked that from other teams does not mean he would or even possibly could have asked that from the Colts. He signed 2 years 8.75 mill with the chargers so he didn't end up costing that much.

Again did not ask the Colts that, and said something along the lines of he would take any contract the Colts would have offered. He didn't even get offered. 

That was after the colts said they was going in a different direction, Freeney said it himself that the Colts didn't even give him a offer they left him with no choice but to move on, he wanted to retire a Colt but they didn't even give him an offer, they just told him they are going in a different direction.

nothing is the answer.

legit playoff aspirations?? dont get me wrong, there isnt anything realistic that we could get in return for bethea but legit playoff aspirations? the way they're playing, they will be lucky to sniff 9 wins. 

Would this year before the trade deadline be a good time to consider trading safety Antoine Bethea for either draft picks or another starter or 2 in other areas of need?

Hear me out on this. Bethea will be 30 next summer, and safety seems to be a position where our depth is pretty good since we do have Lefeged and Delano Howell as backups to Bethea. If we can continue to get younger and add playmakers in areas of greater need like DL, pass rush, and OL, trading Antoine might be a way to speed up this rebuilt team. Plus he will be a free agent next year and Im not sure about handing out a big deal to a 30 year old safety. There will be options to replace him unless Lefeged or Howell can prove worthy.

Bethea is someone who has the most trade value on the team without killing the team once traded in my opinion. Feel free to call me out on this if I'm way off base here.

Really don't see Bethea asking for a big contract. But if he does pull a Dwight Freeney, he'll find his way to the door

Grigson isn't giving older player's big payouts. Just not gonna happen especially when we have to keep enough cap room to re-sign the rookie class from last year mostly Andrew Luck but Ty Hilton and others are making strong cases for big payouts

They gave a pretty good payday to Landry

I agree I don't think Bethea will demand a big contract, but I think we are going to have plenty of caproom to re-sign everyone coming down the pipe.  We really do not have that many players who are in the big contract category right now. A lot of players are most likely currently on their last contract: Wayne, Mathis, Redding, etc ... We have several who just signed big contracts Cherilus, Landry, etc.  Whats left is spread out over the next 3 years, and some of them may end up not playing well enough to earn a big contract. Luck is really the main one and hopefully the salary cap will get a nice bump by 2016.

Pat Angerer – 2014 UFA

Vontae Davis – 2014 UFA

DHB – 2014 UFA

Jerrell Freeman – 2015 UFA (2014 RFA)

Anthony Castonzo – 2015 UFA

TY Hilton – 2016 UFA

Coby Fleener – 2016 UFA

Andrew Luck – 2016 UFA