Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

pep, throw the ball

Nesjan3

Its obvious that out team is a lot better when the ball is in Lucks hands, forget the power run game, there will most likely not be a trade, in season trades rarely happen, let luck toss it around to the real playmakers on our team then Bradshaw and Brown can change it up once in awhile, our o line is not even close to could enough to be a power running team anyways, my heart goes out to Ballard, cant wait to see you next year. Really though, hopefully this induces pep to take advantage of Luck and our receivers.

Yes, let's forget the power running game...even though it was effective.

effective how? if you mean almost losing to home to the raiders, or if luck getting sacked 4 almost 5 or 6 times on playaction, or if just simply not getting our playmaking recievers involved. then yah

effective how? if you mean almost losing to home to the raiders, or if luck getting sacked 4 almost 5 or 6 times on playaction, or if just simply not getting our playmaking recievers involved. then yah

So luck getting sacked 3 times on 3 possessions in the second half is the running games fault? I would rewatch the game if I were you.

So luck getting sacked 3 times on 3 possessions in the second half is the running games fault?

no it is the olines, fault, and if pep wants to run a power running game that cant even protect luck on playaction (which comes hand in hand with power running) then how is it going to work? and furthermore if  pryor didn't throw 2 int we would have lost to Oakland KABOOOOM

no it is the olines, fault, and if pep wants to run a power running game that cant even protect luck on playaction (which comes hand in hand with power running) then how is it going to work? and furthermore if we pryor didn't throw 2 int we would have lost to Oakland KABOOOOM

So if the oline can't protect Luck your solution is to throw it 70% of the time? Sounds like a solid, solid plan.

So if he can't protect Luck your solution is to throw it 70% of the time? Sounds like a solid, solid

example, the 4thdown we tried to go for, pep ran 5 running plays to 3 passing plays on that series, then tried to run playaction call on 4 and 1, Luck didn't have a chance they made our oline look like statues, so anyways you got a better plan?

When you've got a QB with a low complete parentage, it's wise to lean on the run game. I don't like watching the lousy to mediocre line play in the run game any more than I like watching luck have to throw under that same kind of pressure. If you want Luck to survive this O-line, we have to be patient with some run's that aren't good. 

example, the 4thdown we tried to go for, pep ran 5 running plays to 3 passing plays on that series, then tried to run playaction call on 4 and 1, Luck didn't have a chance they made our oline look like statues, so anyways you got a better plan?

Yes. Play better defense...which will lead to more possessions. And do a better job against the DB blitz.

The 4th and 1 was just a bad play call imo....and a good play by the raiders DE. Plus, the refs missed a facemask on that sack of Luck.

Last year the Oline was worse and we threw 70+% of the time and won 11 games... just playing devil's advocate

And Luck got beat to death. And getting his QB beat up is what got Arians fired in Pittsburgh. But hey, it got him a head gig.

And know what peps offense did last week...it went 1-0.

Last year the Oline was worse and we threw 70+% of the time and won 11 games... just playing devil's advocate 

We witnessed 14 years of that and it yielded limited success because "pass-first" became the etched in stone philosophy of our offense, our roster make-up and ultimately became a very key reason we puked our way out of all those playoff berths.

Assuming we're in this to "hoist Lombardis"....we have to build AND use a credible run game.

2 of those 4 sacks was on Luck himself, He did not see a WIDE OPEN Fleener out in the right flat, we also went deep 4-5 times...2 of those were to Hilton

1st time  1st quarter 4:25 Reggie Wayne 25 yards complete

2nd time 2nd Quarter 1:19 to DHB incomplete but it went 26 yards

3rd time 3rd Quarter 13:16 25 yards to Dwayne Allen incomplete

4th time 4th Quarter 8:00 48 yards to Hilton incomplete

5th time 4th Quarter 7:27 49 yards to Hilton incomplete

their was plays for Coby to make to, Luck just did not see him

When you've got a QB with a low complete parentage, it's wise to lean on the run game. I don't like watching the lousy to mediocre line play in the run game any more than I like watching luck have to throw under that same kind of pressure. If you want Luck to survive this O-line, we have to be patient with some run's that aren't good. 

We had 1 negative run play(Bradshaws first carry of the season for -3 yards) and ran for 4.9 ypc. How was our run game not good?

On Sunday we called 33 pass plays and only 20 rush plays not counting the kneel downs at the end of the game.  Also Luck's runs are counted as passing plays because they were passing plays that broke down and not designed runs.  They are throwing the ball.  From the time we were up 14-0 to the point we were down 17-14 they called almost twice as many passing plays as they did running plays.  This idea that Pep isn't throwing the ball is false.  Yes he is calling more rushing plays than we are used to but that's not a bad thing.  On Sunday our backs ran for 90 yards and at a 4.5 YPC.  That's what you want running the ball.  Honestly 3.5 to 4.0 is what you want so we were above where we needed to be.  Also part of the reason Pep was calling running plays was because when he called passing plays Luck was either getting sacked or under pressure before he had time to go down the field. 

Our problem on Sunday wasn't that we got conservative if anything we got a little bit predictable, but we kept getting in long yardage situations after Luck would get sacked or because of a bad penalty (as was the case on our first drive after half-time).  Here is an interesting fact every drive we didn't score on (excluding the one kneel downs at the end of the game) on Sunday all had a sack in the last series of downs before we punted the ball.  The problem wasn't the play calling it was the sacks putting us in long down and distance situations which all happened on passing plays for the record. 

On Sunday we called 33 pass plays and only 20 rush plays not counting the kneel downs at the end of the game.  Also Luck's runs are counted as passing plays because they were passing plays that broke down and not designed runs.  They are throwing the ball.  From the time we were up 14-0 to the point we were down 17-14 they called almost twice as many passing plays as they did running plays.  This idea that Pep isn't throwing the ball is false.  Yes he is calling more rushing plays than we are used to but that's not a bad thing.  On Sunday our backs ran for 90 yards and at a 4.5 YPC.  That's what you want running the ball.  Honestly 3.5 to 4.0 is what you want so we were above where we needed to be.  Also part of the reason Pep was calling running plays was because when he called passing plays Luck was either getting sacked or under pressure before he had time to go down the field. 

Our problem on Sunday wasn't that we got conservative if anything we got a little bit predictable, but we kept getting in long yardage situations after Luck would get sacked or because of a bad penalty (as was the case on our first drive after half-time).  Here is an interesting fact every drive we didn't score on (excluding the one kneel downs at the end of the game) on Sunday all had a sack in the last series of downs before we punted the ball.  The problem wasn't the play calling it was the sacks putting us in long down and distance situations which all happened on passing plays for the record. 

actually if you look back, when we were up 14-0 pep was staright run game short pass, trying to milk the clock, its not college anymore pep, when the raiders began storming back then he scrambled and yah we threw most of the time very insufficiently, because pep was not prepared, this guy better hit a learning curve. im honestly worried about the dolphins, if pep calls it like he did last week we might get blown out.

Effective like this:

The perception that the offense sputtered is simply not accurate. Indy crossed the 50 on five of seven possessions. There were two abortive drives in the second quarter, but both third-quarter drives were solid. One was undone by a penalty across midfield, and the other failed on fourth down. They had two three-and-outs and scored three touchdowns in just seven touches. They finished the week fourth in DVOA, second in yards per drive, second in points per drive and first in drive success rate.

That's awesome as an offense

2 of those 4 sacks was on Luck himself, He did not see a WIDE OPEN Fleener out in the right flat, we also went deep 4-5 times...2 of those were to Hilton

1st time  1st quarter 4:25 Reggie Wayne 25 yards complete

2nd time 2nd Quarter 1:19 to DHB incomplete but it went 26 yards

3rd time 3rd Quarter 13:16 25 yards to Dwayne Allen incomplete

4th time 4th Quarter 8:00 48 yards to Hilton incomplete

5th time 4th Quarter 7:27 49 yards to Hilton incomplete

their was plays for Coby to make to, Luck just did not see him

I really am starting to believe that Andrew Luck really has lost confidence in Fleener imo

I'm probably wrong though

Effective like this:

The perception that the offense sputtered is simply not accurate. Indy crossed the 50 on five of seven possessions. There were two abortive drives in the second quarter, but both third-quarter drives were solid. One was undone by a penalty across midfield, and the other failed on fourth down. They had two three-and-outs and scored three touchdowns in just seven touches. They finished the week fourth in DVOA, second in yards per drive, second in points per drive and first in drive success rate.

That's awesome as an offense

Well, I didn't see the game. But from what Pagano said, we hit a wall in the middle. And we lost a 14-0 lead. Now, fingers could be pointed at defense for not getting off the field as well. But we shouldn't have had to do a GW drive against the Raiders.

But I'll let it slide since it was the 1st week and even Seattle struggled. So, I'll see what we do as the season goes on

actually if you look back, when we were up 14-0 pep was staright run game short pass, trying to milk the clock, its not college anymore pep, when the raiders began storming back then he scrambled and yah we threw most of the time very insufficiently, because pep was not prepared, this guy better hit a learning curve. im honestly worried about the dolphins, if pep calls it like he did last week we might get blown out.

I think they had to go to the short passes because anytime they tried to drop Luck back to throw down the field he got sacked till late in the ball game when he did try two deep ones to TY.  Again the problem was the sacks.  You have no way of knowing if Pep was prepared or not so don't present your opinion as if it was a fact because it's not. 

Also when your pass to run ratio is 2 to 1 which it was from the time we were up 14-0 to the point you are down 17-14 (Kravitz and Phil B. have posted those numbers this week if you don't believe me) you aren't just trying to milk the clock.  Our problem seemed to be that our drives kept getting bogged down due to sacks.  We aren't Peyton Manning's Colts anymore that can pick up 3rd and long with ease.  If you look at the drives where Luck didn't get sacked we scored and if you look at the other drives we were moving the ball till Luck got sacked.  There is no way those things aren't related. 

The amount of crying and whining about an offense after one week of play and 7 possessions is just amazing!

It's a sprint not a marathon for crying out loud.  The offense looked explosive as I don't know what for the first 

2 drives of that games.  Problems are bound to happen, and especially with the blocking when you have a new

offense that everyone is learning other than the tight end and the quarterback. 

Trust me this offense has plenty of punch!  It may have been college, but Luck and Co. scored 40 plus points

a game using this same power running game concept at Stanford.  The bulk of it can be transferred into the NFL.

Pep certainly didn't use the entire playbook all in 1 game.  Stop crying and let them make whatever tweaks they 

need to make to adjust to the pros and you will see that we'll be just fine.  Jeeeeeeesh!

The amount of crying and whining about an offense after one week of play and 7 possessions is just amazing!

It's a sprint not a marathon for crying out loud.  The offense looked explosive as I don't know what for the first 

2 drives of that games.  Problems are bound to happen, and especially with the blocking when you have a new

Trust me this offense has plenty of punch!  It may have been college, but Luck and Co. scored 40 plus points

a game using this same power running game concept at Stanford.  The bulk of it can be transferred into the NFL.

Pep certainly didn't use the entire playbook all in 1 game.  Stop crying and let them make whatever tweaks they 

need to make to adjust to the pros and you will see that we'll be just fine.  Jeeeeeeesh!

I might just be having a brain dead moment .... but isn't that (the highlighted) backwards from the point you were trying to make? ;)

Were still gonna run the ball but without Ballard i think it'll be 65-35 ratio passing. Your not going to win a superbowl with a power running game it might get you far but eventually a team with a high octane passing offense will beat you. The last 7 SB winners Ravens,Giants,Packers, Saints,Steerlers,Giants, Colts, all had one thing in common. They all were passing teams and had really good WR's, they won airing it out with not much running.

Stop yelling at me!!!!!

:Cry:

We had 1 negative run play(Bradshaws first carry of the season for -3 yards) and ran for 4.9 ypc. How was our run game not good?

It produced about 100 yards between 3 runners including the QB over the course of one game. It wasn't very good. I think the strength of the team is the passing game. I'd like to see the run sustain and improve from where it's at now, but I don't want to miss opportunities to attack in favor of handing the ball off for a yard or two too often. I'm sure this will be a major theme for the Colts going forward this season. 

It's a sprint not a marathon for crying out loud. The offense looked explosive as I don't know what for the first

2 drives of that games. Problems are bound to happen, and especially with the blocking when you have a new

Trust me this offense has plenty of punch! It may have been college, but Luck and Co. scored 40 plus points

a game using this same power running game concept at Stanford. The bulk of it can be transferred into the NFL.

Pep certainly didn't use the entire playbook all in 1 game. Stop crying and let them make whatever tweaks they

need to make to adjust to the pros and you will see that we'll be just fine. Jeeeeeeesh!

Thank you...

I don't get it people think our beloved colts are supposed to just dominate every individual battle, every single play and every game...

Learn how to appreciate the beauty of football, you guys are missing out..

And all this "we aren't supposed to lose to the raiders" talk. Says who? It's just funny.

Adorable

It's a sprint not a marathon for crying out loud. The offense looked explosive as I don't know what for the first

2 drives of that games. Problems are bound to happen, and especially with the blocking when you have a new

Trust me this offense has plenty of punch! It may have been college, but Luck and Co. scored 40 plus points

a game using this same power running game concept at Stanford. The bulk of it can be transferred into the NFL.

Pep certainly didn't use the entire playbook all in 1 game. Stop crying and let them make whatever tweaks they

need to make to adjust to the pros and you will see that we'll be just fine. Jeeeeeeesh!

And again, thank you Krunk! Tell em!

I might just be having a brain dead moment .... but isn't that (the highlighted) backwards from the point you were trying to make? ;)

Yeah I meant to say it the other way around!

Were still gonna run the ball but without Ballard i think it'll be 65-35 ratio passing. Your not going to win a superbowl with a power running game it might get you far but eventually a team with a high octane passing offense will beat you. The last 7 SB winners Ravens,Giants,Packers, Saints,Steerlers,Giants, Colts, all had one thing in common. They all were passing teams and had really good WR's, they won airing it out with not much running.

Kinda hard to take seriously when everybody knows the Colts won the the SB on the strength of the run game