Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Monster Offense

atapcl

The Cowboys had their triplet offense. The Colts had their triplets with Manning, Edge, Harrison. Can this Monster O of 2013 develop triplets? Luck looks like a dominate QB. Hilton might turn out to be Luck's version of Marvin Harrison. Ahmad Bradshaw could be a slower version of Edge. Wayne, Allen, and Havali should make big contributions.

If we develop our triplets and if the OL develops our Monster O could be a top 5 O.

Just to be clear here...
Did you mention a monster offense and just throw Wayne in with the likes of Allen and Havali....?  I can't believe you would even put Wayne and Havali in the same sentence! lol

But this offense won't be to that level.  We still are probably going to be below average running the ball and unless DHB turns his career around, we only have two legitimate threats at wide receiver. 
this offense still looks a heck of a lot better than 2012 though!

The Cowboys had an Excellent O-Line that made everybody look better.

No Way we have a Good O-Line with Satelle & McGlynn starting. They will both be amongst the worst starters at their position.

Neither will be rated average (near top 16 at their position) in the run game or pass protection. IMO

I remember Edge getting very few carries that went beyond 20 yards. Not known for having good speed.

Hilton sure looks dangerous.
Reggie will be a surprise for most of you. jmo

Our O is still a year or more away from Greatness.
Gotta build unit cohession AFTER Satelle & McGlynn are dumped.

Will still be fun of course. It`s FB. :rock: 

Give it a couple years and I think we are a top O in the league.. Center and guard will prevent this team from being at the top for now.

But I definitely think Luck/Hilton will be a great duo for years to come.. Not to mention 2 TEs that I think could turn out to be the best tandem in the NFL. Would love to see Ballard turn into a nice workhorse back for us and rack up 1,000-1,200 yards per year..

Not there yet, but definitely has the potential

Just to be clear here...

Did you mention a monster offense and just throw Wayne in with the likes of Allen and Havali....?  I can't believe you would even put Wayne and Havali in the same sentence! lol

But this offense won't be to that level.  We still are probably going to be below average running the ball and unless DHB turns his career around, we only have two legitimate threats at wide receiver. 

Wayne is good but he is slowing down from where he was. The 2012 offense was top ten so if this one is better where would you list it? Ahmad Bradshaw is an excellent RB that has helped the Giants win 2 SBs. I think a lot of people will underestimate Luck and this offense.

No Way we have a Good O-Line with Satelle & McGlynn starting. They will both be amongst the worst starters at their position.

Neither will be rated average (near top 16 at their position) in the run game or pass protection. IMO

I remember Edge getting very few carries that went beyond 20 yards. Not known for having good speed.

Hilton sure looks dangerous.

Reggie will be a surprise for most of you. jmoI believe Edge had big runs until his knee surgery. I believe he had 4.3 speed out of college.

Our O is still a year or more away from Greatness.

Gotta build unit cohession AFTER Satelle & McGlynn are dumped.

Will still be fun of course. It`s FB. :rock: 

Just to be clear here...

We were a top 10 offense last season w/ regard to yards per game, although there were some RZ scoring issues and the run game was not good. I agree that there is still work to do, but I think that the foundation is mostly laid for a top 5 offense. If we have better efficiency in the pass game and can get the run to game closer to the league average (I believe both of these things will happen), this will easily be a top 10 offense again this season. If things go better than many expect (Coby Fleener plays to his potential, O-Line gels early, DHB plays more than marginally better than Avery did, Bradshaw stays healthy) We will have a top 5 offense with a bevy of good skill position players. Keep in mind that Hilton was easily our best RZ option last season... Reggie had an off year as far as RZ production, Fleener was a rookie and often injured, we had nobody at WR as big as DHB and no RB nearly as well rounded as Bradshaw. Luck still doesn't seem to throw a good fade, but the weapons are there and the TDs will be early and often. JMO

BBS is absolutely correct.

In fact,  I think we can raise that....   I'd say they had an even better O-line than excellent...   I'd call it outstanding and it was the best O-line in the NFL, both for running the ball and pass blocking....

Hall of Famer Larry Allen at one guard,   A big 335 pounder, Nate Newton was the right guard.  Erik  Williams was the huge right tackle...   sort of like DJ Fluker, only more talented...     the center was the very good and underrated Mark Stepnowski, and the left tackle, was another under-rated guy,  Mark Tuninei...  

Jimmy Johnson had an incredible eye for talent.   I don't think there's a first round pick in that group.

A truly great O-line.....     ours is a long, Long, LONG way from that....

Way to early to be calling is a monster offense..

Can we be very good? Yes, I believe so.

But we Have yet to prove we can be dominant.

It's rare these days to keep players together for long periods of time.

We all know what we have in Luck. We will need to find Reggie's replacement, not an easy thing to do. Bradshaw only signed a one year deal. Hilton is good, but is he elite good? DHB is just a huge question mark.. I like Fleener and Allen they could be darn good.. But the OL is suspect.. If we are going to dominate ever.. It starts with those five guys up front.

In fact,  I think we can raise that....   I'd say they had an even better O-line than excellent...   I'd call it outstanding and it was the best O-line in the NFL, both for running the ball and pass blocking....

Hall of Famer Larry Allen at one guard,   A big 335 pounder, Nate Newton was the right guard.  Erik  Williams was the huge right tackle...   sort of like DJ Fluker, only more talented...     the center was the very good and underrated Mark Stepnowski, and the left tackle, was another under-rated guy,  Mark Tuninei...  

Jimmy Johnson had an incredible eye for talent.   I don't think there's a first round pick in that group.

Are you saying Aikman, Irvin, and Smith would not have made the pro bowl without the OL?

Are you saying Aikman, Irvin, and Smith would not have made the pro bowl without the OL?

No. no, no, no, and no!

All three were great.     All three were Hall of Fame worthy!

But they were aided by a tremendous offensive line.     And they also had Alvin Harper, a great deep threat at the other WR spot. Jay Novacek, one of the better receiving TE's and Darryl Johnston,  a terrific blocker in front of Smith.     Just simply great talent everywhere that all fit the system and complimented each other perfectly.

One of the best offenses of all time.

Aikman, Irvin and Smith were all great!

You obviously didn't watch him last year.

I was going to respond to that as well, but got sidetracked. Age eventually gets to everyone, so Wayne WILL (at some point) slow down, but our friend seems to suggest he already has. I guess I'd want to see some kind of statistical or video breakdown to back up THAT claim. I saw nothing last year or so far this preseason to suggest that Wayne is slowing down at all.

TY Hilton does not seem like he can be the next Marvin.  Marvin's routes and hands were unbelievable.  I've heard on multiple occasions that DBs could never predict what route Marvin was going to run because the first 5-10 yards of all of his routes looked the exact same.  This isn't a knock against Hilton; he is an extremely talented player and I love to watch him play.  But Marvin was one of the best WRs of all time.

This offense can possibly be very good when healthy.  Lots of good weapons and talent but only Reggie is proven.  My hope is around week 5 Thorton and or Holmes can take over their respective positions and the rest of the offense gels.  I could see a top 5 offense but time will tell.

I agree 100%

Collectively from tackle to tackle and in run or pass....that might have been the best O-line I can remember. And you're right....none of them were 1st rounders. Allen, the highest pick, was a mid-2nd rounder. Williams and Stepnoski were 3rds and Tuinei and Newton (a Redskins/Bucs castoff) weren't even drafted.

And for a while they also had that sweetheart of a guy at OG...Kevin Gogan...an 8th rounder from Tom Landry's days.

Jimmy Johnson gets discounted a bit for his success due to it coming pre-salary cap.....but these brutally physical "trench player" acquisitions had nothing to do with not having a salary cap.

Fast forwarding....Ryan Grigson has put us on some pretty solid footing to address it even with the salary cap....and we're inching closer. It would be REALLY good if Holmes and/or Thornton are a strike.

But one look at the Ravens O-line last year along with what appear to be powerful 49ers and Seahawks O-lines this season, should tell Colts fans all they need to know about Super Bowl caliber offenses.

Not just playoff caliber offenses....Super Bowl caliber offenses.

Smoke and mirror O-lines along with top-notch skill players might get a team into the playoffs...but seldom will it win a Super Bowl.

Grigson knows it....and our O-line is a work in progress. And yes...the salary cap is a factor as we've painfully learned from the past.

Hopefully, in one or two off-seasons he can really cement a long-term O-line in front of Luck and our RBs. If he can....with those other teams as a template....then we'll have our monster offense.

You obviously didn't watch him last year.

I have watched him every year he has played. He does not have the 4.45 speed he came out of college with. He makes plays with moxy now and does not always get separation. I still think he should start but he is not what he was.

The Cowboys had their triplet offense. The Colts had their triplets with Manning, Edge, Harrison. Can this Monster O of 2013 develop triplets? Luck looks like a dominate QB. Hilton might turn out to be Luck's version of Marvin Harrison. Ahmad Bradshaw could be a slower version of Edge. Wayne, Allen, and Havali should make big contributions.

If we develop our triplets and if the OL develops our Monster O could be a top 5 O.

I think they are improving but I am not convinced the offensive line is good enough yet to be a top five offense. Perhaps by the end of the year they might be.  :)

TY Hilton does not seem like he can be the next Marvin. Marvin's routes and hands were unbelievable. I've heard on multiple occasions that DBs could never predict what route Marvin was going to run because the first 5-10 yards of all of his routes looked the exact same. This isn't a knock against Hilton; he is an extremely talented player and I love to watch him play. But Marvin was one of the best WRs of all time.

Maybe a Marvin Harrison lite?

I agree the line is still a work in progress but I think our passing game has the chance to be truly special.

Luck is a very special QB.  Wayne is a Hall of Famer who still has something left in the tank.  Hilton looks like he is poised to become the next great Colts WR and I think DHB is good enough that he lets us move Hilton and Wayne around in the offense so we can get them in the best match ups we can.  From the tightend spot if Allen is like Allen of last year and if Fleener can learn to hang on to the ball we probably have the most passing weapons that a Colts team has had since the year Manning threw 49 TDs (note I am NOT saying Luck will throw 49 TDs this year.) 

On the ground I Brown can be a home run threat that is going to be used as a third down type of back this year.  Ballard I think is a nice back who is really good at always moving the pile forward and finding away to get yards even when there is no hole.  I think if he's healthy Bradshaw has the chance to be the best running back the Colts have had since Addai's second year in the league before injuries took their toll on him. 

Again though, the line is not perfect.  It's a work in progress.  Also I am not sure how much depth we have behind the top line guys should they go down at the skill positions namely the WR and TE spots.  If we can keep everyone healthy and the line can just keep getting better I do think we have a chance to be a pretty good offense this year.