Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Von Miller suspended 6 games

CS Colts Fan

NFL suspended Broncos SLB Von Miller six games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

got from rotoworld..

he will be back in our game, but he won't be the same

Is this normally a reliable source? The Post had comments from Miller and the Broncos after today's practice and they hadn't heard anything from the league yet. Googling his name brings up nothing about this. What the heck is Rotoworld and why would they have it first?

And of course whenever they do get around to suspending him, he still gets to appeal it. We still won't know when he's coming back yet even if this is accurate.

By the way, what the heck is "but he won't be the same" supposed to mean? :scratch:

Is this normally a reliable source? The Post had comments from Miller and the Broncos after today's practice and they hadn't heard anything from the league yet. Googling his name brings up nothing about this. What the heck is Rotoworld and why would they have it first?

And of course whenever they do get around to suspending him, he still gets to appeal it. We still won't know when he's coming back yet even if this is accurate.

By the way, what the heck is "but he won't be the same" supposed to mean? :scratch:

Rotoworld is legit. Plus, nfl.com is reporting it as well.

Yea, it's on front page NFL.com news as of now. Looks official. Seems like any team Peyton Manning's on cant catch a break. Has to do it all himself.

Miller has released a statement saying that he apologizes for his off the field behavior and violation of the rules and that in his time off the field (suspension) he will work on staying in football shape.  

What a tough start for the Broncos. Thought he may have got it down to 4 but 6 is a lot. The happiest team has to be the Ravens. They have Doom and no Miller.

What does Elway do next year? It will be Miller's contract year. His numbers will say he should be the top defensive guy or one of the top anyways. But one more violation and it is the season.

He will be in shape as he said he would be ready, but by not playing for 6 weeks I wonder if he would be the sane as if he were playing the 6 games... could be better for us or He could come in with a chip and be 10 X worse... we will see on the 20th.

rotoworld..

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports suspended Broncos SLB Von Miller was originally facing only a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, but more games were tacked on for "further violation during (Miller's) appeal."

Per NFL.com's Albert Breer, Miller provided a "diluted sample" at some point, but that the case has "complications that go far beyond that." Whatever Miller did angered the league, as Breer reports The Shield was considering an eight or even 16-game ban.

and he still hasn't admitted to testing positive... sounds alot like Ryan Braun MVP of the Brewers and was busted / tested positive for PED"S 2 years later ... 

we would loose our jobs if we tested positive for this

I'm looking for the report I read yesterday about his 2nd test after the recent first one was dilluted ... this is from The Sports Exchange... 

According to a report by ESPN's Adam Schefter, Miller's urine sample was spilled when he gave it to the drug tester. A second urine sample Miller subsequently submitted as a replacement was found to be diluted.

Failing to produce a sample that can be tested when asked to submit to a drug test can also be considered a violation of NFL rules.

D.J. Williams was suspended six games last year after the league said he twice provided a substance other than human urine for his drug tests. Williams was observed trying to pour something from a bottle into his urine sample.

Here in Colorado with the altitude and the dry weather you get dehydrated very quickly..

Miller has released a statement saying that he apologizes for his off the field behavior and violation of the rules and that in his time off the field (suspension) he will work on staying in football shape.  

That's finally what I want to hear him say....and not that slop about how he didnt do anything wrong and was going to be vindicated that he was passing out last week...

He knew he had been getting high and he tried to gimmick the sample just like DJ Williams.

I know its Colorado but he's got to mature and stay off the weed..

He's letting a lot of teammates down

What a tough start for the Broncos. Thought he may have got it down to 4 but 6 is a lot. The happiest team has to be the Ravens. They have Doom and no Miller.

What does Elway do next year? It will be Miller's contract year. His numbers will say he should be the top defensive guy or one of the top anyways. But one more violation and it is the season.

That's right...am...

He's one more puff away from a year off...and he'll be on that cliff for the rest of his career

They have to consider a trade..whether they want to or not

Great glad to know the media will have something to talk about when the Broncos comes to town week seven, it's not like there will be any other stories that night...

I thought the same too. Do they want all the drama for this one particular game? lol.....

Quote from Elway on Miller suspension:

"I know what I think of Von Miller, what we think of Von Miller as a person," Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway said. "And so I get back to the same thing, not trying to put the toothpaste back in the toothpaste bottle. It’s moving on from here and hopefully trying to make sure it doesn’t happen again."  http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/61185/broncos-miller-in-re-building-mode-now

Besides having no idea what the toothpaste analogy means in this context, whose toothpaste comes in bottle? Reason #101 why Elway has never been the brightest bulb. lol.

So my understanding is first sample Miller somehow, knocked over/spilled it.  Then couldn't deliver another, so went out on practice field and drank water heavily and sweat mightily. when he came back in, his sample then was considered 'diluted'.  So NFL adds time for tampering 'with the process'.  Looks like precedent is set. fail and take the 4 game suspension, or tamper with your sample(s) and get 6 games off.  He may be rested by game 7, but he likely won't be as game ready as he would otherwise.

It was originally 4 games, but on appeal, information came out on "additional violations," so it was increased to 8.  Both sides negotiated it down the middle for 6 games.

Quote from Elway on Miller suspension:

"I know what I think of Von Miller, what we think of Von Miller as a person," Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway said. "And so I get back to the same thing, not trying to put the toothpaste back in the toothpaste bottle. It’s moving on from here and hopefully trying to make sure it doesn’t happen again."  http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/61185/broncos-miller-in-re-building-mode-now

Besides having no idea what the toothpaste analogy means in this context, whose toothpaste comes in bottle? Reason #101 why Elway has never been the brightest bulb. lol.

This is for you SW1-Think about it. John Elway and teeth?  He probably uses a industrial size scrub brush to brush those teeth with. Plus, it wouldn't be hard to put the tooth paste back in a 55 gallon drum.  :rock:

So my understanding is first sample Miller somehow, knocked over/spilled it.  Then couldn't deliver another, so went out on practice field and drank water heavily and sweat mightily. when he came back in, his sample then was considered 'diluted'.  So NFL adds time for tampering 'with the process'.  Looks like precedent is set. fail and take the 4 game suspension, or tamper with your sample(s) and get 6 games off.  He may be rested by game 7, but he likely won't be as game ready as he would otherwise.

Ya beat me to it.  Didn't know he did that, though. 

All this could have been avoided had he done right from the other positive test. He failed at least 2 before this incident. 

I read those reports and thought there is something disingenuous and frankly ridiculous about both their processes and their conclusions.

For a spilled sample (whether they think it was intentional or not is completely irrelevant) you would think that the player would be given two options: a)consider the test "failed" and accept the consequences that go with it, b)sit down in the same room with the tester and wait until he can produce another sample. Protocol should allow him to consume a designated volume of fluids to facilitate the process - within view of the tester. 

It's not that complicated. Once he walked out the door the test was ruined - but that's the TESTERS fault. How does it become a second violation because he comes back from a workout over-hydrated. You would think it would be surprising if he didn't. You would think that their conclusion would be that there is something wrong with either their processes or their tester, not that Miller is a master criminal. All that he can be proved to have done is pee upon command.

Plus aren't the test's surprises? What if he had a ton to drink on his way to the facility in preparation for his workout? He's managed to test clean for almost two years since the original problems - it just seems that if the rules are that spurious that SOMETHING will inevitably go wrong at some point. The lack of flexibility and the assumption of guilt seems overbearing. Six games suspension, serious damage to an entire organization and it's fan base - and he didn't even test positive for anything. (And the things they were testing him for weren't even remotely performance enhancing in the first place).

I have no idea if Miller "did" anything or not, but the problem is that it seems like the league doesn't either. If the players association agreed to these precise rules - they did a lousy job. And frankly I'm not sure why the league would want it either. MUCH ado about absolutely nothing.

I read those reports and thought there is something disingenuous and frankly ridiculous about both their processes and their conclusions.

( ... snipped - thoughtful perspectives ... }

I have no idea if Miller "did" anything or not, but the problem is that it seems like the league doesn't either. If the players association agreed to these precise rules - they did a lousy job. And frankly I'm not sure why the league would want it either. MUCH ado about absolutely nothing.

Not sure how the NFLPA could really avoid this in the bargaining agreement (that the NFL would accept).  Because, for now, the NFL is making it clear that a positive drug test isn’t the only way to violate their substance abuse policy. Failing to produce a testable sample when asked to submit to a drug test also is considered a violation.  And I can see why.  If not, can you imagine all of the creative ways players would concoct to keep a potentially positive sample from ever reaching the lab?  And being ready for the next requested sample?

It's bad enough the NFL may be full of Lance Armstrong types already.  No positives doesn't necessarily mean no PED's.

Not sure how the NFLPA could really avoid this in the bargaining agreement (that the NFL would accept).  Because, for now, the NFL is making it clear that a positive drug test isn’t the only way to violate their substance abuse policy. Failing to produce a testable sample when asked to submit to a drug test also is considered a violation.  And I can see why.  If not, can you imagine all of the creative ways players would concoct to keep a potentially positive sample from ever reaching the lab?  And being ready for the next requested sample?

It's bad enough the NFL may be full of Lance Armstrong types already.  No positives doesn't necessarily mean no PED's.

They've always clinged to the Due Process based argument.  I get it, you don't want players getting slammed on questionable results.  But at the same token, just about any correctional institution, employer, etc. considers it a positive sample if you produce a diluted sample.  So it doesn't really surprise me that the NFL would adopt the same general rule.  And why shouldn't they?  I agree with you on this one.  I'm totally cool with it, because anyone who smokes pot or takes PEDs, while maybe not a bad guy, will inevitably try figure out a way to avoid giving positive samples while continuing to use .

Bottom line...

Denver's first six games are just not that tough..

I think it is a mix of tough games and some easy ones on paper that is.

Ravens - tough game

Giants - tough game

Raiders - easy

Eagles - not sure about this one. Eagles O looks great not sure about the D

Cowboys - same with this game just not sure. Cowboys can be fantastic one week and terribe the next

Jags - easy

Who really knows though as once the season actually begins teams surprise.

Bottom line...

Denver's first six games are just not that tough..

I think it is a mix of tough games and some easy ones on paper that is.

Ravens - tough game

Giants - tough game

Raiders - easy

Eagles - not sure about this one. Eagles O looks great not sure about the D

Cowboys - same with this game just not sure. Cowboys can be fantastic one week and terribe the next

Jags - easy

Who really knows though as once the season actually begins teams surprise.

heres a Morning hit for entire weekend most likely at least

Broncos turn to pass rush by committee to replace suspended Von Miller - The Denver Post

Broncos put on brave faces Wednesday as they prepared for life without Miller, who Tuesday was suspended six games for violating the NFL's drug policy. The new set of first-team linebackers were Wesley Woodyard in the middle and Danny Trevathan and Nate Irving on the outside. Miller spent much of practice with the scout team.

Because of injuries to defensive ends Derek Wolfe and Robert Ayers, those positions had new faces too — Phillips and Malik Jackson.

(( ps both hope to be back for Ravens , welker will be probably out   this weekend but may play, But Bailey still on crutches,, cant think of names save for Dressen but those othes  hurt still hurt or still post op recovery, but Clady may take some snaps this weekend, Cromartie may too   ))

Theoretically, the Broncos will get Wolfe and Ayers back by the start of the season. That would allow Phillips to be moved back and forth from defensive end to linebacker. Phillips has a history of getting to the quarterback, with 69½ career

Great infograpghic  (( click to enlarge )

20130821_101103_bronx-chart.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23914109/broncos-turn-pass-rush-by-committee-replace-suspended

Does this sound familiar

: Broncos rely dangerously on one player: Peyton Manning

(((   BUt Broncos have no back that can block unlike colts )))

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_23914106/kiszla-broncos-rely-dangerously-one-player-peyton-manning

& as far a Bronco RB's , Broncos arent happy with playing performance in preseason

Running backs need to get a grip before Denver Broncos' season starts

((( and quick scan of this article doesnt even note the missed block by ball that got Peyton leveled in last preaseon game ))) 

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23923011/denver-broncos-running-backs-need-get-grip-before