Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You still got to love Donald Brown

oldunclemark

6 carries...221 yards

3 catches...17 yards.....no fumbles

.......I'm liking the way he's being used.......get him outside the hashmarks and lead him out of protection

They're throwing the football to him

He's running hard.......blocking well

.......admittedly, Bradshaw is going to get a lot of carries when he comes back....

......but your favorite and mine....Donald Brown is still our most complete back...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donald Brown has always been underutilized as a pass catching back. His issue is he does not evade enough folks in open space despite having the speed to do so, as a runner or after a catch. He is quick but not elusive. Plus, his issue is he needs a lot of consecutive touches to get better. He was fed as a workhorse at UConn., it is less likely to happen in a RBC set up at the NFL level. He should have learnt that by now and adapt pretty fast to limited touches in the course of a game, no matter when and where it comes.

So, the expectations have to be revised in the passing game to "where DB catches the ball, a yard or two is the most you can ask for after the catch but he will catch the ball more often and thus needs to be utilizied in catching". :)

I always thought Donald fell off the past couple seasons, mainly due to injuries and a lot of bad running plays. He's looking solid this preseason so far, though. I'm still a big fan of Vick so I'm hoping things pick up for him this season as well.

Donald Brown has always been underutilized as a pass catching back. His issue is he does not evade enough folks in open space despite having the speed to do so, as a runner or after a catch. He is quick but not elusive. Plus, his issue is he needs a lot of consecutive touches to get better. He was fed as a workhorse at UConn., it is less likely to happen in a RBC set up at the NFL level. He should have learnt that by now and adapt pretty fast to limited touches in the course of a game, no matter when and where it comes.

So, the expectations have to be revised in the passing game to "where DB catches the ball, a yard or two is the most you can ask for after the catch but he will catch the ball more often and thus needs to be utilizied in catching". :)

His issue is they've run him inside and he's not that kind of player....with the line we have (I'm not sure who is)

Brown does not need consecutive touches to get better

(remember Luck's first ever play in 2012)

I don't want to pit Brown vs. Ballard vs. Bradshaw.....we need them all..

...especially when we go up-tempo

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, August 26, 2013 - Duplicate post
Hidden by Coltssouth, August 26, 2013 - Duplicate post

His issue is they've run him inside and he's not that kind of player....with the line we have (I'm not sure who is)

Brown does not need consecutive touches to get better

(remember Luck's first ever play in 2012)

I don't want to pit Brown vs. Ballard vs. Bradshaw.....we need them all..

...especially when we go up-tempo

Touch Down Donald brown....................I mean

touch Donald Brown and he is down.

Yep.

I look at Wes Welker and how he runs after the catch, he does not care about who is laterally coming at him. You catch and you see daylight in front of you, keep running with the ball with your low center of gravity till you feel contact. Brown peeks laterally a bit too much and thus gives time at the NFL level for defenders to easily catch up with him thus reducing his YAC possibilities.

I have always wondered why certain guys are better in space. It is because a) they are decisive as soon as they see daylight and b) once they are in space, they don't suffer a loss in speed while peeking laterally thus maintaining a level of speed while being able to sense or feel contact.

Or, in other words, great spatial awareness. Kevin Faulk of the Patriots got so many 3rd down YAC for Brady earning so many key first downs.

I do love how he twists himself once he realizes more contact is coming and his progress is going to be stopped. He keeps his legs moving backwards to gain that extra yard or two after contact thus protecting the ball by cradling it. Anyone else notice that? Can't stress ball security enough.

He is a good change of pace back. Vick Ballard is the bruiser who needs to start to tire out Ds, Brown and Bradshaw can be that change of pace quicker backs that can take advantage of tired legs later in the game, IMO. Bradshaw however has better vision though, at the line of scrimmage.

Brown missed cuts to openings last year on i`m guestimating maybe half his rushes. He stank.

Against Cleveland i about fell out of my chair when he actually cut to Big, well blocked holes like ANY decent RB is paid to do.

Good job Pep & O-Line.

hum, i recall he dropped an easy pass. Lets not bring that up.

I do love how he twists himself once he realizes more contact is coming and his progress is going to be stopped. He keeps his legs moving backwards to gain that extra yard or two after contact thus protecting the ball by cradling it. Anyone else notice that? Can't stress ball security enough.

He is a good change of pace back. Vick Ballard is the bruiser who needs to start to tire out Ds, Brown and Bradshaw can be that change of pace quicker backs that can take advantage of tired legs later in the game, IMO. Bradshaw however has better vision though, at the line of scrimmage.

I disagree about his speed.  I think the reason he isn't evasive is because he doesn't have particularly good top end speed or acceleration.  He cuts well, but can't explode.

EDIT: Ignore, I thought you were saying Ballard was fast, but apparently I cannot read.

Never stopped loving him, he's just gotta stay healthy

Health is the only thing that Ballard is better at than Brown.  That's an important quality though.

He's shown he's a better inside and outside runner, he's usually a better blocker, and yes, he has an occasional drop but he's still a better receiver. 

Those who say he goes down too easily, did you see him Saturday night?

With the changes in the philosophy of running backs in the NFL I think we can use all three of our RBs. There are only a handful of APs and Rices in the league. Teams are not drafting big time RBs in the first rounds much anymore. The multi RB system is the turn that the NFL had taken over the last few years. By using RBs by committee it seems like the RBs are not getting as tired and the injuries are lower. If the Colts can use matchups throughout the game we will hopefully see all three do good things. It would be nice if the o-line can gel into a line that play action passes would work but we are not there yet. We haven't seen Bradshaw yet but if he even gets close to what he was able to do in New York the running game will step up a notch. Having a ground and pound running game would be fantastic but till we get an o-line with that type of blocking talent we will just have to make due. 

Health is the only thing that Ballard is better at than Brown. That's an important quality though.

He's shown he's a better inside and outside runner, he's usually a better blocker, and yes, he has an occasional drop but he's still a better receiver.

Those who say he goes down too easily, did you see him Saturday night?

I didn't see the Brown's game. But I will here in 2 hours once NFL network shows the replay at 4pm lol

So I'll get back to you on the "did you see him" question haha

I didn't see the Brown's game. But I will here in 2 hours once NFL network shows the replay at 4pm lol

So I'll get back to you on the "did you see him" question haha

We drove up for the game, which was really cool with the roof open at night.  Plus I ran in the NFL Back to Football 5k, which ended at the 50 yard line in the stadium.

They timed the last 40 yards.  Needless to say, I ran it a bit slower than I did when I played in high school. 

We drove up for the game, which was really cool with the roof open at night. Plus I ran in the NFL Back to Football 5k, which ended at the 50 yard line in the stadium.

They timed the last 40 yards. Needless to say, I ran it a bit slower than I did when I played in high school.

Sounds fun, gotta get faster though buddy haha you should be running Chris Johnson speed haha

But yeah I'll watch the replay & see how we did

I think Brown and Bradshaw are better fits in this system than Ballard. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this more of a 1 cut and hit the hole system. Brown is much better at that than Ballard.

Brown dont make much in the form of cuts...Hes a darter, if the hole aint open more often then not it dont end all that well but he has been great at hanging onto the ball

Brown has always been a solid back.  I think we always have to consider the lack of run blocking.  Look at Andre Brown of the Giants.  He was on the Colts and didn't do anything.  Goes back to the Giants and he is a pretty solid back.  If Donald Brown had good blocking, he would be a 1200 yard RB I believe.

Brown missed cuts to openings last year on i`m guestimating maybe half his rushes. He stank.

Against Cleveland i about fell out of my chair when he actually cut to Big, well blocked holes like ANY decent RB is paid to do.

Good job Pep & O-Line.

hum, i recall he dropped an easy pass. Lets not bring that up.

are you speaking strictly in italics now?

Brown has always been a solid back.  I think we always have to consider the lack of run blocking.  Look at Andre Brown of the Giants.  He was on the Colts and didn't do anything.  Goes back to the Giants and he is a pretty solid back.  If Donald Brown had good blocking, he would be a 1200 yard RB I believe.

We have never been a run-first team with overpowering run blockers up front...

DB has always run with no lead blocker and largely on first down

If they use Brown as a leak-out receiver out of pass protection and give him 10 caries a game, you'll see him be a major factor,,

of course, if he stays healthy

He did have a few good runs against the Browns. I still hate all the drops he gets when he's passed to wide open in space. 

I do like the thought of the B-Movie 3 Headed Monster: 

Bradhsaw, Ballard and Brown!!! 

Okay, SW1 will openly recouse myself since I haven't actually seen the Colts/Browns game yet. My DVR is set to record it though. But, I will say that I've never been sold on Brown that much. I don't hate the guy; I don't love the guy. His speed is decent not exceptional. I like battering rams like Bradshaw & Ballard that push defenders out of the way & can thumb you running between the tackles myself.

Use him sure, but this Donald Brown affection on here astonishes & perplexes me personally. [Not a reflection on you lollygager. Just brainstorming outloud.]

Yep.

I look at Wes Welker and how he runs after the catch, he does not care about who is laterally coming at him. You catch and you see daylight in front of you, keep running with the ball with your low center of gravity till you feel contact. Brown peeks laterally a bit too much and thus gives time at the NFL level for defenders to easily catch up with him thus reducing his YAC possibilities.

I have always wondered why certain guys are better in space. It is because a) they are decisive as soon as they see daylight and b) once they are in space, they don't suffer a loss in speed while peeking laterally thus maintaining a level of speed while being able to sense or feel contact.

Or, in other words, great spatial awareness. Kevin Faulk of the Patriots got so many 3rd down YAC for Brady earning so many key first downs.

A really nice reply here Chad. Very well written & great analysis!  :thmup:

Okay, SW1 will openly recouse myself since I haven't actually seen the Colts/Browns game yet. My DVR is set to record it though. But, I will say that I've never been sold on Brown that much. I don't hate the guy; I don't love the guy. His speed is decent not exceptional. I like battering rams like Bradshaw & Ballard that push defenders out of the way & can thumb you running between the tackles myself.

Use him sure, but this Donald Brown affection on here astonishes & perplexes me personally. [Not a reflection on you lollygager. Just brainstorming outloud.][/

Baffling and perplexing. The 2 most perplexing things on these boards are Quizboy and the,pro Donald Brown people :)

I like to break down a RB's total acceleration from coming off the ball, to full out sprint.

Level 1: This is reacting to the snap and receiving the handoff or the swing pass, beginning to accelerate to the intended gap.

Level 2: Most of the time, there is at least a small change of direction, jump hop, or cut and a reacceleration.

Level 3: An explosion to top speed.

Level 4: Maintaining an all out sprint to the goal line.

It seems to me that if DB is grabbed or too deflected before he reaches level 3, he is not as effective as Ballard. If he reaches the start of level 3 without significant contact, he is better than any RB on this roster.

I think he's going to be a third down back this year which is what I really think he is.  He's a home run hitter to barrow a baseball term.  He strikes out way too much to be an every down guy though.  With that said, as a third down guy I think he could be good.  If we can get Brown in open space he's deadly and you can see why he was a first round pick.  We just haven't been able to get him in open space enough over the course of his career here.  His injuries and ill-timed drops haven't helped his own cause any either. 

With that said, I do think the coaches will kinda feel it out between him, Bradshaw, and Ballard this year and whichever ne is being the productive against that defense is going to get the most carries, it's not unlike the earth, wind, and fire that the Giants had a few years ago. 

Baffling and perplexing. The 2 most perplexing things on these boards are Quizboy and the,pro Donald Brown people :)

QuizBoy is fine by me. I'm the odd one around here or maybe I am just drawn to peculiar things by my very nature. More a reflection of my own personality than that of QuizBoy per se. Another issue for another day.

At any rate, SW1 does agree with you though that I do not comprehend this lingering attachment to Donald Brown in INDY at all. I can't explain it. It's a mystery that will never be solved like where do my missing socks go & why do I even buy lottery tickets when my odds of winning are so astronomically out of reach in the 1st place?  haha

I think he's going to be a third down back this year which is what I really think he is.  He's a home run hitter to barrow a baseball term.  He strikes out way too much to be an every down guy though.  With that said, as a third down guy I think he could be good.  If we can get Brown in open space he's deadly and you can see why he was a first round pick.  We just haven't been able to get him in open space enough over the course of his career here.  His injuries and ill-timed drops haven't helped his own cause any either. 

With that said, I do think the coaches will kinda feel it out between him, Bradshaw, and Ballard this year and whichever ne is being the productive against that defense is going to get the most carries, it's not unlike the earth, wind, and fire that the Giants had a few years ago.

Your last paragraph makes sense, but your first one is Exactly my point. Calling Donald Brown a home run hitter is purely speculation because he NEVER hits home runs. In regular season or playoff games, how many touchdowns has he ever scored? he probably ranks near the bottom half of the league. Why don't I make up something for Werner? I will start calling him the most dangerous man on the field from now on. You have to earn a title and DB has not earned any title yet.

Your last paragraph makes sense, but your first one is Exactly my point. Calling Donald Brown a home run hitter is purely speculation because he NEVER hits home runs. In regular season or playoff games, how many touchdowns has he ever scored? he probably ranks near the bottom half of the league. Why don't I make up something for Werner? I will start calling him the most dangerous man on the field from now on. You have to earn a title and DB has not earned any title yet.

id agree he hasn't hit as many home runs as we would have liked. However he has had flashes. That's why I would say he's like a home run hitter in baseball, it's all or nothing. No question though, he's struck out way too often and just like a home run hitter if you strike out too often you lose your spot in the line up.

I like to break down a RB's total acceleration from coming off the ball, to full out sprint.

Level 1: This is reacting to the snap and receiving the handoff or the swing pass, beginning to accelerate to the intended gap.

Level 2: Most of the time, there is at least a small change of direction, jump hop, or cut and a reacceleration.

Level 3: An explosion to top speed.

Level 4: Maintaining an all out sprint to the goal line.

It seems to me that if DB is grabbed or too deflected before he reaches level 3, he is not as effective as Ballard. If he reaches the start of level 3 without significant contact, he is better than any RB on this roster.

Most of the time there is no level 2 for him(thats not a good thing), I have said time and time again he is a "darter" that can get you some tough yard and and 8 yards or 80 yards on 1 touch, the problem is like I said he shows very little of level 2, he goes from 1 to 3, you need level 2

Most of the time there is no level 2 for him(thats not a good thing), I have said time and time again he is a "darter" that can get you some tough yard and and 8 yards or 80 yards on 1 touch, the problem is like I said he shows very little of level 2, he goes from 1 to 3, you need level 2

Arian Foster, Matt Forte, consumate level 2 players. They pick their way thru the defense.

DB has broken quite a few 20+ yard runs, not i would bet you so much because he beat a defender but because the play was well blocked/or the defense was in a bad position for the play we called. And IMO he has proven to have next to Nothing in this described level 2 skill. Showed nothing in 3 years as a 3rd down receiver, and they often left Rookie Ballard in on 3rd down last season to pass block ahead of DB. And Ballard was terrible.

No he has not played behind a line that was even decent, maybe the light will come on so lets see what he can do.

I will become a big fan if he earns it.

Same with Vaughn.

Just don`t bring Olson back! :jump: