Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

seahawks stomping broncos.

Stephen

Saw that. How ironic? He was Mr. iron with the Pats and now he is injured in the preseason. Atlhough I have to think a sprain is not a big deal unless it is a high ankle which can take a few weeks to heal... they are saying it could be week to week which is alarming. How funny is it that BOTH Doom and Stokely play for the Ravens now? I think the Ravens are going to be so hyped for that game.

Saw that. How ironic? He was Mr. iron with the Pats and now he is injured in the preseason. Atlhough I have to think a sprain is not a big deal unless it is a high ankle which can take a few weeks to heal... they are saying it could be week to week which is alarming. How funny is it that BOTH Doom and Stokely play for the Ravens now? I think the Ravens are going to be so hyped for that game.

judas AM, do you ever stop?? Mr. Iron? I seem to remember a significant Knee injury taking him out for quiet some time. Or do you just say he is now a wuss that he plays for the Broncos. I swear sometimes man, it's just Blah, Blah, Blah.

judas AM, do you ever stop?? Mr. Iron? I seem to remember a significant Knee injury taking him out for quiet some time. Or do you just say he is now a wuss that he plays for the Broncos. I swear sometimes man, it's just Blah, Blah, Blah.

I was counting that knee injury because he came back and didn't miss anytime in 2009 and had a pretty solid year. I will never take that away from Wes. He always played and took some of the hardest hits I have ever seen a player take and kept on getting up. I think him getting injured now is probably cumlative from all the hits he took with the Pats and the fact that he is trying to learn a new system.

I was counting that knee injury because he came back and didn't miss anytime in 2009 and had a pretty solid year. I will never take that away from Wes. He always played and took some of the hardest hits I have ever seen a player take and kept on getting up. I think him getting injured now is probably cumlative from all the hits he took with the Pats and the fact that he is trying to learn a new system.

i would say it was due to the way he was tackled, but hey, watta i know, i just watched the game.

i would say it was due to the way he was tackled, but hey, watta i know, i just watched the game.

Sure. And I have seen him get hit/tackled much worse and get right up. I really don't think he is going to let a sprained ankle keep him out for long anyways unless like I said it is a high ankle sprain.

Could it be possible Wes just sprained his ankle playing football? You seem to over analyze way too much. 

Could it be possible Wes just sprained his ankle playing football? You seem to over analyze way too much. 

I was asked. My orginal comment was more on the irony that he is the one injured given that was the big to do in NE when he did not sign - his durability which like I said was second to none. But in the end, you can't just keep a player because he has been durable especially at age 32 with the number of hits Wes has taken the last six seasons in the slot and as a punt returner. Like you said it is football and eventually those hits catch up with you.

Honestly it doesn't really matter though, unless injuries are serious. The Peyton led Colts were always hot stinking garbage in preseason.

Now it looks like the Colts in general seem to like to remain their stinky garbage selves this time of year.

Now the Seahawks are being crowned as the automatic Super Bowl Champion.

One thing I did see yesterday was the ugly head of lack of discipline with both the O and D. Making mistakes that shoot themselves in the foot vs good teams.

We saw those in the first 5 games vs quality opponents last year. DT fumbling while running in space vs the Patriots, McGahee fumbles and then the playoff gaffes by the secondary, all hallmarks of a team that finds ways to beat itself. We saw it again, Julius Thomas fumbling, Hillman fumbling, Champ getting beaten (safety help is a must for Champ moving forward, IMO). It is a mentality of discipline that starts from top down, from the coaches.

Say what you want about the Patriots (I hate them too), they rarely beat themselves, you have to beat them. Brady did not give the SBs away to Eli, Eli had to earn them with his drives.

Dungy emphasized so many fundamentals - less penalties (Colts were one of the top 2 least penalized teams for a whole decade almost) and Joseph Addai rarely fumbled. The Colts' special teams stunk to high heavens but the team rallied with a spirit. I just do not see that spirit and discipline with these Broncos.

Until I see these Broncos play the Ravens and Patriots, and beat them by taking care of the ball on offense and not giving up big plays on defense, the Broncos will be the same Broncos. The buck does stop with the coach.

John Fox's road playoff record is better than his home playoff record. Maybe it will serve best for these Broncos to go into the playoffs being counted out as a #3 seed or #4 seed and having to win 2 games on the road to get to the SB. That is how I see it playing out, to be honest.

You might think I am extrapolating too much from a pre-season game but I am focusing only on what the starters did. When Dungy's starters played in pre-season, yes, there were lop sided losses for the Peyton led Colts but it was never lop sided when Peyton and the starters played, rarely was it more than a FG or TD. The Colts' starters made few mistakes that shot themselves in the foot and hung in when the starters played. After the starters went out, well, the whole world knows how Andrew Luck came about, with lack of quality backups drafted by Polian who kept the roster top heavy in talent and salary.

One thing I did see yesterday was the ugly head of lack of discipline with both the O and D. Making mistakes that shoot themselves in the foot vs good teams.

We saw those in the first 5 games vs quality opponents last year. DT fumbling while running in space vs the Patriots, McGahee fumbles and then the playoff gaffes by the secondary, all hallmarks of a team that finds ways to beat itself. We saw it again, Julius Thomas fumbling, Hillman fumbling, Champ getting beaten (safety help is a must for Champ moving forward, IMO). It is a mentality of discipline that starts from top down, from the coaches.

Say what you want about the Patriots (I hate them too), they rarely beat themselves, you have to beat them. Brady did not give the SBs away to Eli, Eli had to earn them with his drives.

Dungy emphasized so many fundamentals - less penalties (Colts were one of the top 2 least penalized teams for a whole decade almost) and Joseph Addai rarely fumbled. The Colts' special teams stunk to high heavens but the team rallied with a spirit. I just do not see that spirit and discipline with these Broncos.

Until I see these Broncos play the Ravens and Patriots, and beat them by taking care of the ball on offense and not giving up big plays on defense, the Broncos will be the same Broncos. The buck does stop with the coach.

John Fox's road playoff record is better than his home playoff record. Maybe it will serve best for these Broncos to go into the playoffs being counted out as a #3 seed or #4 seed and having to win 2 games on the road to get to the SB. That is how I see it playing out, to be honest.

You might think I am extrapolating too much from a pre-season game but I am focusing only on what the starters did. When Dungy's starters played in pre-season, yes, there were lop sided losses for the Peyton led Colts but it was never lop sided when Peyton and the starters played, rarely was it more than a FG or TD. The Colts' starters made few mistakes that shot themselves in the foot and hung in when the starters played. After the starters went out, well, the whole world knows how Andrew Luck came about, with lack of quality backups drafted by Polian who kept the roster top heavy in talent and salary.

I've always said my biggest desire for my team is discipline. That's why I like BB. Even if we don't make the playoffs I'd rather see a disciplined team. Nothing irks me more than those kind of penalties. Unless it's the opposing team:)

Problem is you have to push it a little to be competitive and hope the ref doesn't see it. But as long as my team only gets a couple that's ok.

It's when you go backwards on penalties I already see a missed scoring opportunity...although Brady proved me wrong the other nite..go figure:)

This is a very astute post Chad and I agree with all of it. I think Fox was given a bit of a pass last year because the O was learning Peyton's style and Indy offense but yet a ton of mental errors as you note. Fox often gets criticized for being too conservative but I am not sure that is the issue. At times his team looks ill-prepared to play. When the Broncs play the Pats two years ago in the playoffs their D did not show at all. Brady had 21 points on the board in a blink of the eye and guys were wide open all over the place. Then last year against the Ravens, Bailey kept getting torched and no adjustment until the Ravens got two TDs off of him with a potential for a third had Flacco not made an overthrow.

And I have never been a huge Dungy fan but you are right his teams came ready to play and did not beat themselves which really is half the battle in football. The really average to bad teams find ways to lose, whereas the good teams make you earn it.

Denver has played  Seattle and SF on the road...in the pre-season

..to draw any conclusions about anything other than injuries from that is to repeat preconceived notions

Sure. But when you see the same mistakes from last year repeat in the preseaon this year it is fair to point them out. I know if I was a Broncos fan I would want to see a more discplined team that looks more in sync. Not sure why they seem so out of sorts given it si Manning's second season.

Not sure about that. Seattle is pretty good too on O. Probably slight edge to Broncs but their Oline is miserable so it may be more even.

I never said the Seahawks O is bad, just that Denver has a better one. I never qualified how much better. Only that I believe they are.

You pretty much said what I said, you just prefaced it by saying you disagree, then preceded to agree.

I never said the Seahawks O is bad, just that Denver has a better one. I never qualified how much better. Only that I believe they are.

You pretty much said what I said, you just prefaced it by saying you disagree, then preceded to agree.

You said the broncs have a "much better" O. I disagreed with that. think it is closer with maybe a slight edge to Denver given Manning and the WRs but the Oline is bad...

You said the broncs have a "much better" O. I disagreed with that. think it is closer with maybe a slight edge to Denver given Manning and the WRs but the Oline is bad...

I know what I said, but you then proceeded to say you think the Denver O is better too, you just think "slightly" whereas I think Peyton gives them a much bigger edge on Offense then Russell does. I also think the WRs at Peyton's disposal outclass those at Wilson's, but you could debate that if you wanted.

However, the end result is both of us saying that Denver has a better O. So there is no real disagreement lol.

I know what I said, but you then proceeded to say you think the Denver O is better too, you just think "slightly" whereas I think Peyton gives them a much bigger edge on Offense then Russell does. I also think the WRs at Peyton's disposal outclass those at Wilson's, but you could debate that if you wanted.

However, the end result is both of us saying that Denver has a better O. So there is no real disagreement lol.

Ok enough argument on the degree of agree. :)  Hey it rhymes!

I'm sure Denver will be solid offensively but I've been saying for at least two years that I thought their defense has been overrated. Brady has made them look like a Pop Warner team the last three times he's played them.

The Raiders were evidently impressed....go Dennis Allen lol

I'm sure Denver will be solid offensively but I've been saying for at least two years that I thought their defense has been overrated. Brady has made them look like a Pop Warner team the last three times he's played them. 

That doesn't mean they don't have a good defense. Look at what Brady did to the Texans last season.

Yep, been saying the same. I didn't buy the high stats they had last year since I felt a lot of it was overinflated vs. poor offenses.

And going back to 2011 they had been getting carved up by good offensive teams.

Strangely, I was rather impressed by the Colts starters vs. the Giants last night. So hmmmm......

You know, I don't think it's out of the question that we have a chance to beat the Broncos this season. We WILL have a good passing game. (run game up in the air as usual, sigh). And at home where we are often good, I think we may put up plenty of points. And who knows, if Von Miller is playing he may be rusty too. :)

Our own defense is not the worst in the league either.

On a side note, I have been quite impressed by the NE offense this preseason. Brady looks younger then he actually is. Darnit. lol maybe he is like Reggie Wayne and does not age like normal humans.

I think this is more of a case of Denver playing poorly, than Seattle playing great.  Seattle looks like it did most of last year, but Denver looked at little frazzled, and once Peyton left it just snowballed.

Exactly, if Peyton goes down & Denver is forced to rely o backup QB Brock Osweiler to win games the Broncos are toast...He was simply miserable. How can a 6 ft. 8 guy not see over the line & connect with anybody?

All of these sane posts about it being the preseason and all and yet Irasy took to twitter after the first game to let Colts fans know that he gave his "commanders" a talking too and most Colts fans were supportive of him? smh  Much hyprocrisy here me thinks.

In terms of the Broncos, they lost another player Derek Wolfe (DE) to a neck injury. He had to be carted off. These injuries are really mounting for the Broncos and will impact their campaign especially if Miller is suspended.

I agree with you 100% amfootball. You are not a troll at all. Keep speaking up. I respect your honesty. I appreciate Mr. Irsay, but sometimes his overreactions do trouble me from time to time.  I can't lie. 

Yep, been saying the same. I didn't buy the high stats they had last year since I felt a lot of it was overinflated vs. poor offenses.

And going back to 2011 they had been getting carved up by good offensive teams.

Strangely, I was rather impressed by the Colts starters vs. the Giants last night. So hmmmm......

You know, I don't think it's out of the question that we have a chance to beat the Broncos this season. We WILL have a good passing game. (run game up in the air as usual, sigh). And at home where we are often good, I think we may put up plenty of points. And who knows, if Von Miller is playing he may be rusty too. :)

Our own defense is not the worst in the league either.

On a side note, I have been quite impressed by the NE offense this preseason. Brady looks younger then he actually is. Darnit. lol maybe he is like Reggie Wayne and does not age like normal humans.

Stick a fork in Denver hehe.

Colts defense does look better and that can be a big deal.

Tom looks young because..well he's that type. I still get amazed he's so good because he still looks like the kid from 2001 but he's actually been doing this a long time now.

Stick a fork in Denver hehe.Colts defense does look better and that can be a big deal.Tom looks young because..well he's that type. I still get amazed he's so good because he still looks like the kid from 2001 but he's actually been doing this a long time now.

HGH is the fountain of youth.....I kid.

Actually they showed a 72 year old man on the news who takes it and he does look young.Just because athletes aren't allowed maybe us civies are:)

Supposedly it's rampant in the entertainment industry....no surprise there

I have a hard time thinking that the word over-rated applied in the past couple of years when half the people I heard were maintaining that they actually had a lousy defense. WIDE divergence of opinions. It seemed to me that they carried the team during the Tebow year - so they must have been doing something right - and of course playing with Peyton they didn't HAVE to carry the team to be effective. But for most people I think it's been a team of Bailey, Miller, and ?.Sure enough when Bailey shuts down your top weapon and Miller gets to the QB, it makes everyone else's job a lot easier.

So Isn't it all about matchups? If you have sufficient personnel to find a consistent hole in a defense it can collapse like a house of cards. The Patriots have been recently built around Welker and the tight ends, which happens to exploit THE biggest hole in the Broncos D.That doesn't mean that they're over-rated, and the fan's of other teams may come away with a very different perspective.Personally I've been optimistic that the Broncos D had improved in the off-season, but some people haven't been playing well and others are now injured. For the former, "that's what pre-season is for". For the later, "it's going to be interesting".

Actually GoPats my friend, SW1 rarely if ever disagrees with with your spot on NFL analysis, but if we are talking about pop warner beat downs from Brady, it revolves around the Pittsburgh Steelers and Free Safety Ryan Clark.  :lol:  :thmup:  

Why does a person who always gets creamed by Brady smack talk so darn much? Hmmm... Is it daddy issues or mommy issues? Just kidding! 

The few positives for the Broncos that should not be overlooked is how good their OGs looked in pass protection WITHOUT Clady against that vaunted Seahawks' D-line. Their O looked in very good rhythm, IMO, outside the mistakes. Once Clady comes back, that offense will average 30 plus their first 6 games, with or without Von Miller. The only game I do not see them go for 30 is their opening game vs Ravens in the first 6 but the Ravens' offense may still not be in sync and that will help the Broncos prevail, IMO.

The Broncos should be glad that unlike last year, when they played Texans, Falcons, Patriots all in the first 5 games, they will play the Colts, Patriots and Texans all after game 6.

That could also help the D get some rhythm with enough new faces with DRC at CB, Jammer at safety (maybe put in at CB if Bailey misses time, IMO), and figuring out MLB/pass rusher positions over the first few games. By no means is the Broncos' D a world beater (which is why I drafted Arizona in FF when the Broncos' D was available :)) but they will have to start making plays to earn their keep at some point in the season and they have enough talent to do just enough of it. Whether "just enough" is good enough, it remains to be seen.

It is a long season. The best team rarely wins the SB and teams that are good but have issues with injuries can get healthy over the season.

I have a hard time thinking that the word over-rated applied in the past couple of years when half the people I heard were maintaining that they actually had a lousy defense. WIDE divergence of opinions. It seemed to me that they carried the team during the Tebow year - so they must have been doing something right - and of course playing with Peyton they didn't HAVE to carry the team to be effective. But for most people I think it's been a team of Bailey, Miller, and ?.Sure enough when Bailey shuts down your top weapon and Miller gets to the QB, it makes everyone else's job a lot easier.

So Isn't it all about matchups? If you have sufficient personnel to find a consistent hole in a defense it can collapse like a house of cards. The Patriots have been recently built around Welker and the tight ends, which happens to exploit THE biggest hole in the Broncos D.That doesn't mean that they're over-rated, and the fan's of other teams may come away with a very different perspective.Personally I've been optimistic that the Broncos D had improved in the off-season, but some people haven't been playing well and others are now injured. For the former, "that's what pre-season is for". For the later, "it's going to be interesting".

I realize nothing is ever simple but Brady has owned Del Rio his whole career. I think that has more to do with it than anything.

Denver will win their fair share of games and be in the thick of things come Dec.

I realize nothing is ever simple but Brady has owned Del Rio his whole career. I think that has more to do with it than anything.

Denver will win their fair share of games and be in the thick of things come Dec.

I wasn't aware of that. Of course I'm sure Fox still remembers the Carolina SB - as well as the recent matchups. Apparently there are a few chips on shoulders in addition to the Manning/Brady rivalry when the two meet. Going to be interesting.

I wasn't aware of that. Of course I'm sure Fox still remembers the Carolina SB - as well as the recent matchups. Apparently there are a few chips on shoulders in addition to the Manning/Brady rivalry when the two meet. Going to be interesting.

Yes, Brady has had some career games against him when he was in Jacksonville and now has torched him the last two times in Denver. I agree though there are a lot of match ups beyond just Brady/Manning. Always great when the two meet.

It all comes down to generating a pass rush and the team making mistakes. The teams that beat the Brady get in his face and get him out of the pocket or knock him around. Lets be honest...that's how all teams beat the elite qbs. Denver has a top 10 defense...but if they get no pressure on Tom...he will light up anyone. How many times did he do that to the Steelers over the years...yet if a team can get a pass rush with their front 4...like the Giants or Ravens etc....the Patriots are mortal. The Broncos and Texans couldn't do that and even though they have really good defenses they got torched...same as Pittsburg who generally blitz a lot and the best qbs will eat that up. Pressure with 4 will beat ANY TEAM. Even with pressure elite offenses will have their chances as we saw down through the years and a fumble or dropped pass can change the momentum and outcome. Say the Broncos don't get down early like fumbling a punt etc then things might change...but I do agree...that Defense won't be a top 10 while Miller is out...no way...without a pass rush...Peyton is going to have to play at a high level...we will see...the Broncos may not be great early on...but come the second half of the season...if they get healthy I wouldn't want to play them.