Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Impressed you the most?

GoColts8818

Griff Whalen when Hasselbeck was the QB. Once Harnish got in, things went downhill for the WR core.

Hopefully next week will be better cause Harnish was just horrible. No way he can be our #2 for the future if he's gonna play like that. Makes you wonder if Matt taking his #8 from him made his performance go down. Cause that was NOT the Harnish we saw last pre-season.

Sophomore Slump maybe? haha

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a big year coming from Fleener. Think Pep will take advantage of his size and speed, and make him a real asset to the offense. Also, more familiar with the scheme.. Just hope he avoids injury

Before the season i said that Fleener would have a breakout year, hiring of Pep made it even more likely. I'm expecting a 90rec 900 yard 8 TD season for Fleener and a trip to Hawaii.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Before the season i said that Fleener would have a breakout year, hiring of Pep made it even more likely. I'm expecting a 90rec 900 yard 8 TD season for Fleener and a trip to Hawaii.

On a somewhat related note, how awesome is it that Allen is gonna be fine...

If he should have caught it and didn't that's still an area to go not good. Again, I didn't see it but the guy who used to play in the NFL said he should have caught it and called it a drop. He did say it was good coverage but it was still a ball Fleener should have come up with.

Like I said before though I am sure Fleener is going to have a good season. I just think drops are going to be a part of his game. It is what it is.

We're saying the same thing, I'm just not calling it a drop, because I don't feel it was lol.

And in my eyes, K Williams looked great, ran hard, and showed some shiftiness.  I don't see us keeping Carter over Williams if that's who it comes down to.  Brown will be good in this offense too.

I thought Williams did better as a running back but I just didn't see anything special out of him in terms of speed which is what people were glowing about him for. 

Honestly assuming Bradshaw comes back healthy that leaves us with Ballard and Brown meaning if Carter or Williams are going to make the final roster they will probably have to do it for special teams. 

I have a feeling is going to be one of those players we love on one play and want him cut on the next.  He had flashes today but all had the fumble that could have been prevented by just putting two arms on the ball and dropped a TD pass as well. 

So getting hit by two defenders on the fumble was not a good defensive hit that caused the fumble?  It's hard to make a TD catch when the defender makes a great play on the ball.  This was the first action the Colts have faced and you expect them to play like pro bowl players? Fleener will be just fine when the whole starting unit gets onto the field. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I thought Williams did better as a running back but I just didn't see anything special out of him in terms of speed which is what people were glowing about him for. 

Honestly assuming Bradshaw comes back healthy that leaves us with Ballard and Brown meaning if Carter or Williams are going to make the final roster they will probably have to do it for special teams. 

Williams is a lot like Brown in the sense he needs an open field to show his speed, but when he does, look out.

Yeah that fumble was bad, I didn't see the dropped TD just head the Lamey call on the radio because I was out running around doing stuff.  However, after he had an issue with drops last year that was not a good way to start this year.

With that said I still think he's going to have a good season. 

The TD pass was very well defended. Fleener had it and the defender got his hand in and knocked it out.

When you go back and look at it, protection for Luck and Hassleback was fine for the most part, Luck messed up the cadence on the Williams sack, other than that and one other play the starting oline was fine, we ran the ball better with Ballard and Brown. Can't speak for the line after the starters came out Harnish was getting nailed

Just waiting to see Hugh Thorton get in there.

I thought the run blocking was fine too , but my take was some very quick inside pressure on Luck with a  few pass plays. But maybe I'm being too negative.

So getting hit by two defenders on the fumble was not a good defensive hit that caused the fumble?  It's hard to make a TD catch when the defender makes a great play on the ball.  This was the first action the Colts have faced and you expect them to play like pro bowl players? Fleener will be just fine when the whole starting unit gets onto the field. 

That's why coaches coach you to put two hands on the ball.  Yes it was a good hit by the Bills but it could have also been prevented if he puts both hands on the ball.  If nothing else it reduces the chances that's a fumble.  Again, like I've said before and am saying now I think Fleener is going to be fine and have a good season, however his play on the fumble is something that can be improved even if the other player made a good play.  He didn't do everything he could to help prevent it. That's all I am saying. 

When did I ever say I expected Fleener to be playing like a pro bowl player so please stop saying I said something that I didn't.  In fact I said just what you said that Fleener will have a good season more than once.

Erik Walden did what he came here to do, he set the edge real nicely against spiller and Jackson when the run came his way. But when they ran at Mathis he didn't set the edge and spiller gashes us for back to back chunk runs

Yep I noticed that the first two plays they ran right at Mathis and he got gashed and then they ran to Walden's side and he pushed him to the side into the waiting arms of the rest of the defense. 

I was really impressed with Fleener he had a couple of good catches and ran good routes, separated from defenders with ease. He did have a fumble but i think that's because it was the first real hit he's had since last year, he'll improve on ball security. The offense seems to be built for Fleener i think he can get 6 catches a game. He's going to have a pro bowl caliber year.

I was disappointed with the fumble and the dropped td.

Erik Walden did what he came here to do, he set the edge real nicely against spiller and Jackson when the run came his way. But when they ran at Mathis he didn't set the edge and spiller gashes us for back to back chunk runs

I saw exactly what you saw. It's funny because those dumb bells over at stampede blue are trying to say Walden was terrible.

Those dudes know they don't know anything about football. It becomes more and more apparent every day!

That's why coaches coach you to put two hands on the ball.  Yes it was a good hit by the Bills but it could have also been prevented if he puts both hands on the ball.  If nothing else it reduces the chances that's a fumble.  Again, like I've said before and am saying now I think Fleener is going to be fine and have a good season, however his play on the fumble is something that can be improved even if the other player made a good play.  He didn't do everything he could to help prevent it. That's all I am saying. 

When did I ever say I expected Fleener to be playing like a pro bowl player so please stop saying I said something that I didn't.  In fact I said just what you said that Fleener will have a good season more than once.

My comment was made with sarcasm in mind. I am just defending Fleener because of all the negativity that he has taken all off season. Fumbles happen to all players who carry and catch the ball. 

I think Kerwynn Williams has some potential as a ball carrier. He averages about 5 yards per carry overall.

Now when it came to kickoff returns I'm not going to lie, in my head I was longing to bring Dejii Karim back.

I'll give it some more time though.

Its only the first per season game so so I'm not gonna frett too much but I definatley hope there is improvement by games 2,3,4. I was expecting better today, I'm not gonna lie. But I know its new offense and some new O linemen.

Also Colts was last team to report. The Colts do not scrimmage other teams like some teams do so in essence we are maybe a week behind most teams. Several starters did not play.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think Kerwynn Williams has some potential as a ball carrier. He averages about 5 yards per carry overall.

Now when it came to kickoff returns I'm not going to lie, in my head I was longing to bring Dejii Karim back.

I'll give it some more time though.

Because Karim had a TD on a return straight up the middle where no one came within 5 yards of even touching him?  I don't get the infatuation in Karim at all.

I agree with  you that he could have prevented the fumble by holding it with two hands when he saw the hit coming. Some say it was a good defensive play that caused the dropped td but the angle I saw seemed to indicate he should have caught it.

I dont know. The camera work and angles were so bad, I feel like I missed half the game. 

On my Fleener kick, dude cant fumble, and dude has got to catch that TD ball. 

Agreed. I didn't think he had a good game today due to the fumble and dropped TD.  Those are plays that elite TE's have to make. Yes, the defender put a hand in there but Fleener had the ball and has to secure it. The fumble was unacceptable. Took points off the board. My biggest gripe with Fleener last year other then drops was that he played like he was scared and not to his size. Today didn't do much to ease my concerns. He has to be tougher.  Guy has all the potential in the world to make plays but he has to take advantage when the opportunities are there.

Because Karim had a TD on a return straight up the middle where no one came within 5 yards of even touching him?  I don't get the infatuation in Karim at all.

I suppose you didn't watch the first Texans game as well. He(Deji) had more than one 50 yarder in that game as well.

No one is saying Kerwynn can't be the returner, we just didn't see it today. We'll give it time.

The TD pass was very well defended. Fleener had it and the defender got his hand in and knocked it out.

That's the thing- there's a difference between a drop (ie, Hughes from Harnish) and a defender making a great play.

Fleener shouldn't have fumbled, but the missed TD catch was Alonso making a great play. If he doesn't time and execute it perfectly, that's a TD catch.

Delano Howell

I don't know where howell came from but he was all over field also liked Williams. He could have taken kick all the way back if the special teams blocked better. Hilton was most impressive receiver. Fleener would have been impressive if not for that big drop and fumble. Robert hughs and Dominique jones each had nice catch and that Caesar guy was ok.

The good:

-TY Hilton looked good (not surprising).

-Donald Brown looked good.

-Delano Howell (started today in place of Landry & Lefeged) impressed me the most. Flew around the field.

-Pat McAfee was doin' his thing. Grigson better lock him up for the future.

-Griff Whalen looked good.

The bad:

-Special teams was horrendous, thankfully it's preseason. Need to get that fixed.

-Offensive line was inconsistent all day. Really hoping we can get it together.

-Chandler Harnish didn't seem on it today.

-Lanear Sampson had a terrible day catching the ball.

-Bills backups are better than our backups.

Overall it's just preseason, but not going to lie I expected us to come out and play better, but that's what the preseason is for. Once the regular season comes I know we'll be good to go. Can't wait until September 8th!

I suppose you didn't watch the first Texans game as well. He(Deji) had more than one 50 yarder in that game as well.

No one is saying Kerwynn can't be the returner, we just didn't see it today. We'll give it time.

kerwynn almost broke for a td but special teams didn't block good enough

No.81 for Buffalo WR Marcus Easley...he "easily" beat the Colts DBs over and over again.

...for the Colts almost nobody except Hilton...little enthusiasm let alone intensity...they were 'out for a stroll'...and with Harnish in at QB they were absolutely incompetent.

I guess I did not have the angle to see it like you did because it looked like he should have caught it.

Yeah it was hard to tell but i have NFL Rewind went  back and watched it. His size and speed will be too much for LB's and safeties to handle and his route running has improved  a lot,. He's gaining more confidence in his game but once he gets the mental aspect of the game where he can just play and don't worry about taking a hit, he's gonna one of the top 3 TE's along with Graham and Gronk.

I saw exactly what you saw. It's funny because those dumb bells over at stampede blue are trying to say Walden was terrible.Those dudes know they don't know anything about football. It becomes more and more apparent every day!

I'm glad you and HC pointed that out. SB is more interested in constantly pointing out his contract. That article was so bad I thought Wells wrote it.

Chapman, fleener, Hilton, luck, Howell, I would say rayford but, I won't lol

I agree with all of these but I'm glad you left Rayford off. lol  He looked lost quite a bit but did still make a couple of nice plays.  He's very young and very raw so not expecting greatness from him at this point.  I liked Allen Chapman too...very good open-field tackling for a CB.  Liked what I saw from Sidbury too.

Walden did what we brought him in to do and that's set the edge.  The first few busted runs were to Mathis' side and I thought it fitting that the next couple of runs that went to  Walden's side didn't go anywhere.  He did a decent job the couple of times I saw him rush the passer but hopefully he can continue to improve in this.  Maybe Mathis can help him become a better pass rusher.

I was really impressed with Fleener he had a couple of good catches and ran good routes, separated from defenders with ease. He did have a fumble but i think that's because it was the first real hit he's had since last year, he'll improve on ball security. The offense seems to be built for Fleener i think he can get 6 catches a game. He's going to have a pro bowl caliber year.

I agree all around.  He just needs to cover the ball up tighter a little quicker.  Still, we definitely saw flashes of great things to come. :)

If he should have caught it and didn't that's still an area to go not good.  Again, I didn't see it but the guy who used to play in the NFL said he should have caught it and called it a drop.  He did say it was good coverage but it was still a ball Fleener should have come up with. 

Like I said before though I am sure Fleener is going to have a good season.  I just think drops are going to be a part of his game.  It is what it is. 

Not sure how the NFL guy was that called that a drop, but it was not a drop at all...it was a pass break-up.  Fleener made a pretty good adjustment and just got both hands on the ball when Alonso's arm came through and his hand hit the ball directly pushing it out of Fleener's hands.  The fumble was a combination of a great defensive play and Fleener not having the best grip on the ball.  He just needed to get both hands on it and cover it up tighter about a second before he did.  

The good:

-TY Hilton looked good (not surprising).

-Donald Brown looked good.

-Delano Howell (started today in place of Landry & Lefeged) impressed me the most. Flew around the field.

-Pat McAfee was doin' his thing. Grigson better lock him up for the future.

-Griff Whalen looked good.

The bad:

-Special teams was horrendous, thankfully it's preseason. Need to get that fixed.

-Offensive line was inconsistent all day. Really hoping we can get it together.

-Chandler Harnish didn't seem on it today.

-Lanear Sampson had a terrible day catching the ball.

Overall it's just preseason, but not going to lie I expected us to come out and play better, but that's what the preseason is for. Once the regular season comes I know we'll be good to go. Can't wait until September 8th!

all the rb except carter looked good

I'm not so sure that's true.  It looked like they played their starters for the majority, if not all of the first half whereas the colts starters only played about half the first quarter, so our #2's were going against their #1's for a quarter and a half.  then in the 3rd quarter the bills put their #2's in whereas the colts were going to their #3's.  So basically, after the first half of the first quarter, the Bills were a level up on the depth chart over the Colts for the rest of the game.  

Plus also gotta keep in mind the players on our 2nd team that we didn't have active today.  Though to be fair, I have no idea who all the bills played without today.

I thought the starters on the OL looked pretty good, especially when considering this is their first time playing any live action together.  Depth on the OL is going to be a concern though until we get Thornton, Holmes and hopefully Ijalana back.  

With the number of negative plays in this first preseason game it seems like too many are singling out like it was just Fleener. The whole off season had been nothing but negativity about Fleener. When he was picked almost every fan had him playing good enough to make the pro bowl or close anyway. When he struggled as a rookie, got injured and the lack of looks by Arians offense all of a sudden he is a bum. Every move he makes is chastised and put under a microscope. The bottom line is sometimes it takes a rookie player to learn, get accustom and get used to the speed and size of the NFL. Even pro bowl players have been known to struggle their first year. We don't need to look any farther than Reggie Wayne to see that. Dallas Clark's first year read as follows- 29 catches, 340 yards and 1 TD. The expectations of Fleener were too high from day one. I have no clue as to how well he will be in the years to come but I wouldn't bet against him being to Luck what Clark was to Manning. Becoming a great player does not happen as a rookie or without the time to hone his skills.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Most impressed with TY today.  His TD catch was a thing of beauty.  I also hope to see him returning more punts as he looked to nearly break one today.

I'm T.Y.'s biggest fan, and that kid continues to suprise me.  I would not be suprised if he just took over this year.