Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Curious Case of the Colts.

Dustin

They keep talking about last year schedule how is was soft etc... And now they wanna say all these injuries occurring in TC made a soft schedule again. Whatever happen to giving props where it due we won 11 lost 5 every team we play are NFL teams not college not CFL not AFL not rugby!!!! And even if we won close games and got out scored alot this year with the FA and draft we should be better!!!

They can keep throwing excuses out there. But if they wanna say those injuries make our schedule dog then it makes all the other teams schedule that play those teams with Injuries soft too. Plus we got injuries although no real big ones. Its a two ways street though. Their all in denial that's what it comes down to. Well make them look stupid once the season starts, no worries!

Interesting, I guess, what people take away from the article. I had no issues with his analysis of strength of schedule, but I thought some of his comments about free agency were a big swing and miss... and I disagree with his final conclusion based on his solid analysis.

Otherwise, a very fair and interesting look at the team's chances.

They keep talking about last year schedule how is was soft etc...

Any given Sunday man.  I hate the soft schedule crap talk.  There is no such thing as a soft schedule.  Anyone can beat anyone in the NFL!!!

Also, they calculate their interpretation of strength of schedule based on the teams you play against's record the previous year.  How many times have you seen a team go from worst to first in their division??  it is not about last year's teams, it is about this year's teams 

The Colts of last year and the Colts of this year are simply two different teams. Looking at last year's team and estimating this year's team's success is a waste of time. Every position is either being played by a player that will play differently based on more experience, training and new scheme (new offense and a much more true 3-4) or is being played by a new player.  The teams we play will be more different than you think compared to last year. New offensive line, new defensive line, new backfield, new starting RB, new WR2. NEW, NEW, NEW

All that metric analysis gives me a headache & makes me think of Australia. Nothing against Australia BTW....Nice people & gorgeous coral reefs, but I digress...

I just really find it disturbing when writers try to determine a team's success or failure based on mathematical equations & formulas. "The Plexiglass Principle: Teams that suffer enormous declines tend to improve the following season." Who comes up with this crap? Plexiglass is actually a plastic substitute for glass. Would it be more effective to say that a team is lighter on the feet & won't crack, shatter, or be easily confused with live rounds in the NFL gun? JMO. 

The notes in the right margin are pointless, distracting, & it reminds of reading William Shakespeare in high school with the modern English translation in the corner. King Lear & Henry V were no picnic at all.  haha

Sigh...This soft schedule argument last year is such a farce. Nobody ever wins a game on paper now do they? The league determines who we play & when we play. The Colts have no control over that.  :facepalm:

"On the other hand, the Colts also lost Pagano's replacement, Bruce Arians, this offseason. " Tell me...When in the world did Bruce Arians become the NFL Messiah? How will we ever survive without him? What a pile of elephant dung... :slaphead:  :lol:

SW1 is not overly impressed with Mr. Barnwell's journalistic insights...

"Teams don't run to win; they get a big lead and then run to kill clock. If the Colts can run the ball well and create play-action opportunities for Luck, there's nothing wrong with a balanced offense. " 

I believe in the importance of running the ball--the necessity of it, but I would not always agree with Mr. Barnwell that teams can't run the ball at the beginning of games. He didn't explicitly state this, but he did infer it.

The key is to confuse the pass rushers & keep the secondary guessing, off balance, & out of sync. Yes, taking time of the clock in the 4th Qtr. is usually a wise decision, but if a RB is on fire & churning out 1st downs  like an Amish person making butter, SW1 isn't gonna remove the rock from Ballard's hands just so Luck can throw the ball to Fleener, Brazill, or Wayne simply because they haven't gotten enough receptions yet. 

When pundits talk of "balanced offense", they often fail to take in account the strengths and weaknesses of a team that shifts the point of balance.  Balanced may mean 60% pass, 40% run.

At this stage of the pre-season it is impossible to predict how the Colts will do. I won't predict wins and losses.  I will predict that it will be fun to watch.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hey guys.  Biggest Colts fan of all time here.  Finally going to help contribute to this kick butt forum...

I'd like to put this whole schedule thing to bed once and for all...

Ok, so the Colts are not as good as there 11-5 record last year because of a weak schedule, right?

But wait a sec...anyone that plays the Colts this year is playing a team that had a 11-5 record last year, by strength of schedule standards that would be considered a tough opponent.  But by the writer's own "analysis" the Colts are not as good as there record...see where I'm going with this?

All the writer is saying is that looking back at other teams that have historically made the type of jump in wins that we have made, those teams have digressed the following year. Also, he's taken into account the number of close wins and our overall point differential. Like it or not, this is a valid argument from a statistical standpoint.

You can argue that those statistics do not pertain to our team, but I'm sure that all of the other teams that accomplished similar results would have made the same argument-- only to digress the following year.

I predict that we will have a better team this year, but not necessarily a better record. 11-5 is a tough record to beat or replicate. I hope that I'm wrong and we go undefeated.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I personally have no issue with writers writing with numerical statistical analysis. I actually applaud people like Barnwell that actually do some research and have well thought out articles versus just some ridiculous bias out of left field piece(*cough Bleacher report)  I mean seriously, can we wait just a little longer with the 2014 mock drafts already?

I put as much stock in strength of schedule and power rankings as Coach Pagano, Grigs, and our players do: absolutely ZERO

Guest TeamLoloJones

If we won games BECAUSE of a soft schedule, then he is implying that we were a weak team.. However, if we were a weak team, then that schedule shouldn't have been so soft. Think about it.

Perfect example of why strength of schedule should be on the verge of being completely ignored: Chiefs and Jags both went 2-14. 

The Chiefs, I think most people would agree, are a far better team than the Jags. But the Colts will get the same "strength of schedule rating" against them.  Another reason is after about halfway through the season people start focusing on current records for strength of schedule and forget about the year before.  By playoff time we realize that none of this matters and get ready to play for the Lombardi and all the other nonsense disappears...for about two weeks after the superbowl.  Then everyone is back to explaining why everything happened the way it did the season before.

"Indianapolis was pretty lucky to go 11-5 last year."- Random sports reporter guy

"Men of action are favored by the Goddess of luck." - George S. Clason

If true, what about Seattle's 10-6?

What about Denver's schedule?

Teams that have big wining seasons are a bit fortunate.

Can anyone doubt that Indianapolis had much more Luck than anyone else....???

If true, what about Seattle's 10-6?

What about Denver's schedule?

Teams that have big wining seasons are a bit fortunate.

Can anyone doubt that Indianapolis had much more Luck than anyone else....???

The only Luck we had last year stands 6 feet 4 inches of foghorn sounding awesomeness.