Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Give it up for Painter

Colts20593

WE didnt adjust defrnsively and I dont know why except that our safety was a rookie and all our backs seemed to fear the deep ball..

Curtis was OK...but he wasnt great...If we'd have started him week one he'd be on the IR now....

I wish he'd play with more confidence..He seems scared

I couldn't disagree more. He showed courage under fire, took brutal hits and led us.

I applaud this man that I once insulted.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a major important point, but I thought Snow was in at center on that play and Saturday was just blocking.

You may be right. The camera zoomed on Saturday afterward and I assumed it was Saturday that snapped the ball. That 3 wouldn't have done us any good as things turned out.

If you take two exceptional passes out of his total (both of which involved 60 yards after the catch) the man put up 140 yards of passing.

Not sure what the heck you're trying to prove with this comment. If you take the same types of plays away from Manning, he's simply an above average QB (stat wise). The fact is, Painter did a much better job than Collins, and should only improve as the season moves on.

Not sure what the heck you're trying to prove with this comment. If you take the same types of plays away from Manning, he's simply an above average QB (stat wise). The fact is, Painter did a much better job than Collins, and should only improve as the season moves on.

It's not that hard to figure out. There were two exceptional plays, neither of which had anything to do with anything special Painter did (One was 10 yard sideline route and the other a 1 yard screen pass). Other than that it was a very mediocre game.

Actually, if you did the same with Brady, you would have a below average QB. :)

The glass (Painter's performance) is half full/half empty. I will say this, he proved he understands the playbook and the offensive system that is in place for Peyton and will implement it when he is on the field rather than having to play in some modified playbook/system (and he is our only QB that can do that).

It's not that hard to figure out. There were two exceptional plays, neither of which had anything to do with anything special Painter did (One was 10 yard sideline route and the other a 1 yard screen pass). Other than that it was a very mediocre game.

danged if you do, danged if you don't.

Both throws to Garcon were high velocity, well timed and accurate. Argue against this, I dare you.

lol. The Painter love continues in the face of an UGLY game. Garçon gave him over half of his yards on a blown coverage that any bad QB should have hit on, and a screen pass that was more about our good down-field blocking and Garçon's running than anything Painter did.

We really have hit rock bottom when we're congratulating a guy for a completion rate below 50% and two TD's that had more to do with what others did than anything he did.

Hmmm... Last I checked, a QB still had to run the offense and throw those passes.

I guarantee we wouldn't have those two TDs if Collins was in there last night....

So Painter is better than Collins.

Woop-de-freakin-do.

We've still got one of the 5 worst starting QB's in the league.

Anyone remember the episode of South Park where they had to vote for the school mascot and the choices were a turd sandwich and a *?

Yeah, that's what we're doing here.

Either way, it's still awful. Split all the hairs you want, it's still awful.

lol. The Painter love continues in the face of an UGLY game. Garçon gave him over half of his yards on a blown coverage that any bad QB should have hit on, and a screen pass that was more about our good down-field blocking and Garçon's running than anything Painter did.

We really have hit rock bottom when we're congratulating a guy for a completion rate below 50% and two TD's that had more to do with what others did than anything he did.

We compliment him because he has offered forth improvement. In our position, that is all we can ask for, that is, to improve.

With Collins we were angry because there was no execution to even bring about the genesis of a successful screen, or any other vast YAC score.

Woop-de-freakin-do.

Anyone remember the episode of South Park where they had to vote for the school mascot and the choices were a turd sandwich and a *?

I made the same comparison, exactly the same, 2 weeks ago.

Turns out, the turd is better.

I was saying that on the thread of how the running game is gonna be so much better when peyton comes back.... It wont.. not unless they commit to the run, and the colts didnt in this game..

Painter had an OK game there were some throws that he shouldnt have made but all in all it was a good game for him.

I just dont understand why we abandon the run, we need to make Painters job easy not hard, And when we run we can set up playaction and screens etc. All these 3rd and longs make me sick bro.

Yes john things have got really low here :whiteflag:

Woop-de-freakin-do.

LOL... Joan, you are a true born cynic.

I just dont understand why we abandon the run, we need to make Painters job easy not hard, And when we run we can set up playaction and screens etc. All these 3rd and longs make me sick bro.

Its what the colts are used to, things seemed like they changed in the steelers game where they ran more, but in this game it seemed like a peyton manning offense with little running... i think if the colts had slowed this game down more with their running things could have probably been different.

Its what the colts are used to, things seemed like they changed in the steelers game where they ran more, but in this game it seemed like a peyton manning offense with little running... i think if the colts had slowed this game down more with their running things could have probably been different.

Exactly my point, the defense was on the field the whole game, we cant expect them to play well while they are on the field that long. I dont understand the play calling. Painter isnt Manning and shouldnt throw more than 25 times a game, As well as we have ran it this year it should be a focal point in our game plan. Pound the rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono2: The offense should be predicated on protecting Painter from 3rd n longs by running early and often but i guess Clyde thinks Peyton Manning is back there.

Exactly my point, the defense was on the field the whole game, we cant expect them to play well while they are on the field that long. I dont understand the play calling. Painter isnt Manning and shouldnt throw more than 25 times a game, As well as we have ran it this year it should be a focal point in our game plan. Pound the rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nono2: The offense should be predicated on protecting Painter from 3rd n longs by running early and often but i guess Clyde thinks Peyton Manning is back there.

Ooooor peyton influenced clyde to make him run the offense like that... i remember an article saying it was cause of peyton collins ran the no huddle in one game, cant remember what article though.

And you gotta wonder IF the colts were running the ball more in that game, would ben have gotten injured? i dont like playing the IF game but it just makes me think... seeing all these injuries just seems to me like the colts are destined to fail this season, like this season is just not it for the colts at all.

With regards to NFL 'starting' QBS - we also have the one with the least game time experience! IF he gets any sort of protection I say that within 6 starts, Painter WILL be in the top 20 or better even after missing 2 3/4 games!

I was also discouraged when we seemed to cut off the run.

However, TB was smart defensively. They dared us to throw, straight up. They stacked the box heavy and did so in a way that not only threatened our run, but also stood to pressure Painter threw our porous O-line. Funny that Tampa beat us with man coverage while we beat ourselves with the Tampa 2. Ironic, actually.

I was also discouraged when we seemed to cut off the run.

IMO they didnt run as much because the Bucs were crowding the line (as you said dared us to throw) and we tried to take advantage of that.... ALSO we didnt have a whole lot of plays from scrimmage specially in the first half ...Course I dont have the game stats in front of me, but I would like to know what the run/pass distribution was.

Curtis Painter did fine. But what about those DROPPED passes ?...like the first play to Garcon !! If the ball hits the receiver in both hands, there is no excuse for not catching it. All we read about is the QB's stats. Collie & Garcon drop sure completions and it only seems to reflect bad on Painter ?

And another note, why weren't Freeny and Mathis in on every defensive down ? Jeff Saturday and every other "healthy" offensive lineman played every offensive down. Just curious.

early drops by Garcon and a couple of whiffed blocks by Addai and Brown on blitzes didn't help either. I thought he played well all things considered. I was also hoping to see him lead the team to a win but he didn't get enough help to do so. Yes he threw a couple of bad passes but that's not uncommon for a young QB...especially one with so little in-game experience.

I totally agree! We have that game if everyone does their job.

Painter played very well given the condition of the O - line, dropped passes, Donald Brown's blown block, etc. If there's one thing I can say with certainty, it's that Painter was not responsible for the loss. You can thank Coyer's soft Tampa 2 on every down, our terrible CBs, and our injury plagued lines for the L. I hope the injuries(besides Foster's) were all minor and that they will return to practice and play this next Sunday. No QB is going to last long with Link and Teper in there.

Curtis Painter did fine. But what about those DROPPED passes ?...like the first play to Garcon !! If the ball hits the receiver in both hands, there is no excuse for not catching it. All we read about is the QB's stats. Collie & Garcon drop sure completions and it only seems to reflect bad on Painter ?

And another note, why weren't Freeny and Mathis in on every defensive down ? Jeff Saturday and every other "healthy" offensive lineman played every offensive down. Just curious.

Collie was held on his drop, Garcon just has butter fingers and he more than made up for his early drops IMO. Freeney and Mathis were tired, rushing full out on every play is impossible. They have never been every down DEs. Plus add in the humidity factor in Tampa and the fact that their offense took over twice the amount of snaps we did and you have your reason why they weren't playing every down. It's simply a different position. Being on the O - Line is less taxing. Don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly demanding position. I equate being a DE to basically running suicides, but at the same time you trying to push a couple hundred pounds backwards. Mathis and Freeney get the rest so that they can come in 100% and blow by the tackle to create turnover opportunities and sacks.

He's better than I expected after watching those first two preseason games. And he's better than Collins was in the first three games of the season. He's not going to save our season, but the offense moved the ball much more consistently with him than it has all year, and he showed some nice touch on several throws. He's making quick decisions, for the most part. The four or five times he held the ball longer than a couple of seconds, he got big pressure. The playcalling needs to be more balanced, and we need to make sure he throws the ball in rhythm.

Nothing to write home about, that's for sure, but still better than the first three games. I guess that's reason for optimism.

Painter played very well. He is surrounded by incompetence. Caldwell drops a INT in the TB endzone, surrendering points. Saturday casts an errant snap that leads Vinny's kick astray. Thats 6 points difference.

Caldwell stands foolishly absent minded and doesn't challenge an obvious fumble. That leads to a TD scored. Thats 13 points of incompetence. None of which Painter can be blamed for.

i'll give you that --- caldwell is getting worse at coaching not better. when players don't play well and continue to make mistakes, they get benched. Is there any precedent for benching a coach who's having a bad season?

The completion percentage is ugly, but he kept us in the game. Made some big throws and didn't throw any picks (though it was close)

Offense was much better than last week rhythm wise, but they gave up on the run after the 1st quarter, no way that should of happened.

I agree with everything you said, I also don't like that they gave up on the run after the 1st quarter. Painter needs all the help he can get and that includes the running game. It's not like Manning came back and they can just put all of their stock into him. The running game didn't look great, but it did give us a couple of first downs at the beginning.

I applaud Painter's efforts. He gave us a chance to win and we didn't take advantage of it. If he'd been the quarterback in all 4 games I doubt we'd be winless right now. No matter whether Collins is healthy enough to play or not, Painter is our best option. He also proved he can take a vicious hit and bounce back up. Collins would have been knocked out of the game again.

As a extreme Painter hater, I'll give him props. He did okay last night, maybe even a little better than okay. Definitely better than I expected. It was nice seeing the no huddle offense being utilized, and he showed he does in fact have a strong arm. I don't care much for his ability to fumble the ball, to hold on to it too long, or his occasional inaccurate throws. But he shows signs of hope, which is far more than we can say for our head coach, who brings new meaning to the word "Befuddlement"

So here's to you, Painter man, you did okay!

Woop-de-freakin-do.

Mostly this.

I'll give it up for him when he completes 50% of his passes

He was better than Collins.

Seems Reggie was right about Painter...

Painter has been around our system for a couple years now. He has much more time than Collins. We can have someone who knows our system, but no experience or we can have someone with experience who doesn't know our system. Personally, I think Painter will work out better faster than Collins (no fault of Collins).