Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Rodgers Vs. Andrew Luck

DanishColtsFan

Hey fellas

As the incredibly long and boring offseason is about to come to an end, I had a discussion with my Packers fan brother about who would be better, Luck or Rodgers. But then we started talking about how to measure it, as passer rating would probably be a go ahead win for Aaron. So we decided to go with total quarterback rating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quarterback_rating to those of you who don't know what it is :) and here's a list of last years quarterback rating: http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

So, who do you think will be better, Andrew or Aaron?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_quarterbacks_who_have_posted_a_perfect_passer_rating

This gives an idea of what a perfect passer rating consists of, I dont take it as gospel and it still dont seem to take into account for how you determine one play is worthy of being rated higher then the next (such as a 3rd down coversion on 3rd and long vs a crucial 3rd down with the game on the line)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_quarterbacks_who_have_posted_a_perfect_passer_rating

This gives an idea of what a perfect passer rating consists of, I dont take it as gospel and it still dont seem to take into account for how you determine one play is worthy of being rated higher then the next (such as a 3rd down coversion on 3rd and long vs a crucial 3rd down with the game on the line)

OP is using QBR not passer rating

Rodgers is arguably the best QB, possibly best player in terms of game-changing ability, in the NFL right now. I think right now you have to say Rodgers, because he is the best right now and has won a Super Bowl already. I am assuming that number of Super Bowls won will be the measuring stick for who is "greater."

Rodgers is almost six years older than Luck. Rodgers probably still has about five to six years of excellent football left in him, whereas Luck has around twelve years of excellent football (assuming no significant injuries occur for either). This also assumes that Luck continues to improve and establishes himself as one of the top QBs in the league, which I am sure most if not all of us Colts fan will agree Luck will do.

I think it is too early to say who will be considered better when both of their careers are over. Super Bowls are very difficult to win obviously. Peyton Manning has only been able to win one, and he is near the end of his career. Brady was able to win three earlier in his career, but has not won one for awhile now. Luck could win one this upcoming season, then never win one again, or he may not win one for another ten years. Or maybe he wins multiple Super Bowls.

If we are basing it off of just pure talent at the QB position, I think Luck could end up being a very similar player to Rodgers. Both have excellent arms, good football smarts, and while not scramblers are very mobile for their position. Rodgers was in my opinion the best quarterback in the league the last two seasons, and will continue to be for probably at least two more seasons. It is still too early to think Luck can do that, but I know all of us Colts fans are hopeful. I do think Luck has the tools to do so assuming he continues to improve.

Right now, you have to give the nod to Rodgers, simply based off sample size.

Rodgers is arguably the best QB, possibly best player in terms of game-changing ability, in the NFL right now. I think right now you have to say Rodgers, because he is the best right now and has won a Super Bowl already. I am assuming that number of Super Bowls won will be the measuring stick for who is "greater."

Rodgers is almost six years older than Luck. Rodgers probably still has about five to six years of excellent football left in him, whereas Luck has around twelve years of excellent football (assuming no significant injuries occur for either). This also assumes that Luck continues to improve and establishes himself as one of the top QBs in the league, which I am sure most if not all of us Colts fan will agree Luck will do.

I think it is too early to say who will be considered better when both of their careers are over. Super Bowls are very difficult to win obviously. Peyton Manning has only been able to win one, and he is near the end of his career. Brady was able to win three earlier in his career, but has not won one for awhile now. Luck could win one this upcoming season, then never win one again, or he may not win one for another ten years. Or maybe he wins multiple Super Bowls.

If we are basing it off of just pure talent at the QB position, I think Luck could end up being a very similar player to Rodgers. Both have excellent arms, good football smarts, and while not scramblers are very mobile for their position. Rodgers was in my opinion the best quarterback in the league the last two seasons, and will continue to be for probably at least two more seasons. It is still too early to think Luck can do that, but I know all of us Colts fans are hopeful. I do think Luck has the tools to do so assuming he continues to improve.

Right now, you have to give the nod to Rodgers, simply based off sample size.

Good points all around. There's a certainty with Rodgers that isn't there with Luck, not yet. I said a few months ago, Rodgers is the only player in the NFL I'd trade Luck for.

Is the real life?

Aaron Rodgers is the best and most complete QB in the NFL. Rodgers is the NFL's all-time career leader in passer rating during the regular season with a rating of 104.9, and third all-time in the postseason with a rating of 103.6 – among passers with at least 1,500 and 150 pass attempts respectively. He also holds the league's lowest career pass interception percentage for quarterbacks during the regular season with a percentage of 1.7%, and the single season passer rating record of 122.5. Luck has a long way to go before he reaches that level.

Come back when Luck has a 45 TD (48 if you count 3 rushing TDs) and 6 INT season. Heck, even a 35+ TD season and 10 INT season. 

Is the real life?

Aaron Rodgers is the best and most complete QB in the NFL. Rodgers is the NFL's all-time career leader in passer rating during the regular season with a rating of 104.9, and third all-time in the postseason with a rating of 103.6 – among passers with at least 1,500 and 150 pass attempts respectively. He also holds the league's lowest career pass interception percentage for quarterbacks during the regular season with a percentage of 1.7%, and the single season passer rating record of 122.5. Luck has a long way to go before he reaches that level.

Come back when Luck has a 45 TD (48 if you count 3 rushing TDs) and 6 INT season. Heck, even a 35+ TD season and 10 INT season. 

Yup. Rodgers has been absolutely out of this world the past two years. Best two year stretch of quarterbacking ever. And that's with serious issues with the offensive line and running game. Luck hasn't even begun to approach that level of productivity. I like him, and I think he's going to be great, but he has to blast through about three tiers of really good production before he gets to where Rodgers currently is.

I'm a daily visitor to this website because of Andrew Luck.   I'm a Colts fan because of Andrew Luck.    I think all we've seen from AL is the tip of the iceberg.     His upside, his potential,  his future is beyond enormous.

That said, the answer to the question is Aaron Rodgers.    He's not even 30.     He's rarely had anything more than a decent running game.    He often hasn't had a great defense to support him.    So, it's been AR and a fleet of very good WR's.

His interception/fumble ratios are incredibly low.   His ability to make a great pass that allows the WR to gain even more yardage is terrific.    He makes clutch throws.    For right now,  I'd take Rodgers simply because he's more a known quality.   Or, if I let you pick first and you take Andrew,  I'm fine with that,  I'll pick 2nd and take AR.

I don't think you can say enough good things about Aaron Rodgers.    And I think Luck is going to end up being a mix of Rodgers and Ben Roethlisburger....   and I think that's a spectacular combination to be mentioned with....

It's win-win for everyone!      :thmup:

So it is a possibility General Zod does exist???

Yes, he believes his entire existence is for the purpose of protecting Krypton, even though Krypton was destroyed long ago.

On topic, I mean that QBR is inconclusive just like every other stat or ranking.

I'm a daily visitor to this website because of Andrew Luck.   I'm a Colts fan because of Andrew Luck.    I think all we've seen from AL is the tip of the iceberg.     His upside, his potential,  his future is beyond enormous.

That said, the answer to the question is Aaron Rodgers.    He's not even 30.     He's rarely had anything more than a decent running game.    He often hasn't had a great defense to support him.    So, it's been AR and a fleet of very good WR's.

His interception/fumble ratios are incredibly low.   His ability to make a great pass that allows the WR to gain even more yardage is terrific.    He makes clutch throws.    For right now,  I'd take Rodgers simply because he's more a known quality.   Or, if I let you pick first and you take Andrew,  I'm fine with that,  I'll pick 2nd and take AR.

I don't think you can say enough good things about Aaron Rodgers.    And I think Luck is going to end up being a mix of Rodgers and Ben Roethlisburger....   and I think that's a spectacular combination to be mentioned with....

It's win-win for everyone!      :thmup:

Bull****

Couldn't resist

Stats are for losers. So says my all time favourite Colt, Mr Billy Polian. Wins are what are really important, and Luck leads Rodgers 1-0 in head to head. That my friends, is real life.

:D  :D  :D

That's true. Luck has already outdueled Mr. Rodgers.

:cheer2:  :cheer:  :cheer2:

....and lost to Mark Sanchez :P

We only count head to head QB matchups Luck plays vs. the best QBs in the league.

So basically after last season we can conclude:

Brady>Luck>Rodgers

The rest are irrelevant who were part of the schedule.

:D  :D  :D