Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikings Like What They See From Xavier Rhodes

krunk

Minnesota Vikings CB Xavier Rhodes, one of their first-round picks in 2013, has earned positive reviews about his ball skills from first-year defensive coordinator Alan Williams. He said that in practice, Rhodes 'got his hands on some balls and he's not giving up deep balls. That's the big thing because a lot of guys like to sit on passes and you see them intercept balls and you say 'wow' and then a lot of balls are going over his head. And he's not giving up either. He's tough down low and up top.' Williams also said that Rhodes should pair with fellow tall, rangy CB Chris Cook to give the Norse more flexibility on their play-calling.

http://www.vikings.com/news/blog/article-1/Cook-Rhodes-CB-Combo-Gives-Vikings-Defense-Flexibility/94c25d78-771d-4b16-aeca-a9aeaed8754c

I wanted Xavier Rhodes when he fell past #23 and to the Colts #24 pick and I was shocked at the Bjorn Werner pick, but have to accept who was selective and hope he works out, I wanted the tall 6'1" CB Xavier Rhodes to put against tall receiver Andre Johnson and the like.....  

Go Colts!!!!!

I wanted Xavier Rhodes when he fell past #23 and to the Colts #24 pick and I was shocked at the Bjorn Werner pick, but have to accept who was selective and hope he works out, I wanted the tall 6'1" CB Xavier Rhodes to put against tall receiver Andre Johnson and the like.....  

Go Colts!!!!!

Me too Coltscodeblue; Me too. I hope Mr. Werner can transition into a good fit for us though. Time will tell I guess. 

Is anyone surprised? Some believed he would be the best CB in this Draft. Not shocked that he is impressing so far.

I agree 100% QuizBoy. I will be curious to see his progress as the years pass by. Does he anticipate routes & grab the ball out of the air with his hands trusting his eyes & feet instinctively? I think so or foresee this unfolding very quickly IMO...

I agree 100% QuizBoy. I will be curious to see his progress as the years pass by. Does he anticipate routes & grab the ball out of the air with his hands trusting his eyes & feet instinctively? I think so or foresee this unfolding very quickly IMO...

Yep. I'm expecting to see big things from him.

Grigson and the coach in their minds at the time of the #24 pick thought they have enough already in the backfield with the ones from last year and need to replace D.Freeny and or /outside LB, but you can't have too many good DB and especially one at 6'1", I know this thread is about Xavier, but since the Colts passed on him and so my query is about B.Werner. He is part of the story. So is he a roaming DE to find and shoot through gaps in the D and if unable to get through just watch the QB eyes and also be a batting the ball down guy OR is he plain stay in place on the line at the snap and see if he can run around the tackle? Is B.Werner a spin to the inside type DE/OLB like Freeney did? It would be awesome if he could do all thee above so I just hope he works out, Colts reloading can't go around wasting picks!!!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

While I wanted Rhodes, there's no point to dwell in the past and wonder what if. I'm optimistic that our DBs will be pretty solid for us. So with that in mind, I'm glad with our pick...with Werner's work ethic, potential, etc. I expect him to transition well to LB. Can't wait for this upcoming season, Go Colts!

The love for this kid never ends. Reading this board one would think Rhodes is the second coming of Deion Sanders. Fortunately, the Colts realize pass rush is much more important than corners.

That and the fact that we already had a pretty good set of corners since Toler had already been signed.  We obviously needed someone who could provide a pass rush.  

Giants won with a great pass rush and above average secondary in both SB 42 and SB 46 vs the Pats.

Jets had Revis and Cromartie at their best in the 2009 AFCCG but once their blitzes were picked up, Peyton picked their 3rd CB apart and both Garcon and Collie had big games while matched up vs them.

Great pass rush much more important than great secondary in the current NFL. Yes, the secondary needs to make plays when the opportunities present themselves. But the pass rush from the front 7 normally reigns in terms of importance.

I like Rhodes, but I like Werner, as well. Werner addresses a much more pressing need because our OLB situation was a lot more bleak than our CB one. They're both fine prospects. Xavier progressing well doesn't give me buyer's remorse on Bjoern.

FWIW, Rhodes was the only first rounder for Minnesota I actually liked. 

All I was trying to say is Xavier Rhodes was talked about in length if he was available at the #24 pick and I don't remember talk of Bjor Werner if he's available and like bamb he's available at #24 and I was really disappointed he wasn't selective after all the talk of how terrible Cassius Vaughn is, well looks like the dislike of C.Vaughn is only in the fans and R.Grigson and C.Pagano don't feel the same it seems or they would have selected X.Rhodes.....

Go Colts!!!!!

All I was trying to say is Xavier Rhodes was talked about in length if he was available at the #24 pick and I don't remember talk of Bjor Werner if he's available and like bamb he's available at #24 and I was really disappointed he wasn't selective after all the talk of how terrible Cassius Vaughn is, well looks like the dislike of C.Vaughn is only in the fans and R.Grigson and C.Pagano don't feel the same it seems or they would have selected X.Rhodes.....

Go Colts!!!!!

I don't think much of Bradley Sowell either, but doesn't mean I wanna spend a first round pick on a tackle to replace him.

I don't think much of Bradley Sowell either, but doesn't mean I wanna spend a first round pick on a tackle to replace him.

Doubt that was even in any plans whatsoever though, And it obviously never came to pass, He will be lucky to be on the roster anyway come the start of the season, I think it will come down to him or Linkenbach

Doubt that was even in any plans whatsoever though, And it obviously never came to pass, He will be lucky to be on the roster anyway come the start of the season, I think it will come down to him or Linkenbach

I think you missed the point. Vaughn is fourth on the depth chart at CB....I'm not spending a first rounder to replace him.

WOW, I didn't mean replacing a 1st round pick and then he's automatically a 4th in the depth during the season and just sit on the bench till one of the other get hurt, I was just pointing out that there was a need a top CB from all the gripping about Cassius Vaughn.

Xavier Rhodes was really needed for not just replacing C.Vaughn but to make the backfield way better and a tall CB for covering tall receivers like A.Johnson. A tall CB 6'1" and that high on the draft prospect among scouts shows he has mad skills and well worth getting.

Bloods quote:I don't think much of Bradley Sowell either, but doesn't mean I wanna spend a first round pick on a tackle to replace him.

^^^^^^

I'm sorry, but that is weak also, that guy was a post draft pickup by the Bucs last year and and on practice squad and on the colts this year and even if he was there or not and it was Linkinbach who not a starter per say and he is a good reliable back-up who in a pinch could start, he will be kept as a back-up that's because you know what you got in him and the other guy will be gone, but either way if there was a player available to be a starter grab him we all know that!

Of course you don't use a 1st round pick for a backup to an already good proven player. BPA at the #24 pick was Xavier Rhodes and Colts really needed a top corner, but that will always be an argument :}

Yes there was also a need at DE/OLB too since there are also stated concern with E.Walden.

I don't post that much and try to be thorough when I do and there are still people who find any loop hole to nit pick other people post apart, I should be like some people on here who just like to post 1or 2 sentence just to boost there post score cards under their avatars, it's like a contest to see who has the biggest you know what :}LOL

Go Colts!!!!!

I think you missed the point. Vaughn is fourth on the depth chart at CB....I'm not spending a first rounder to replace him.

Perhaps not but one good or potentially great player signed or drafted can make someone look at a position completely different after the acqusition of said player, next thing you know you can afford to cut 1-2 slouches at Corner while signing the drafted one and very likely upgrading the other Corner cut with a Corner who wasn't drafted whos got the physical tools to be decent but is raw rather then Vaughn who.....well......probably could not have played worse with his eyes CLOSED if he tried.....I reallyyyyyy got tired of those penalties do to him not using fundamentals....Such as when the wr turns his head and puts his hands up GET YOUR HEAD turned cause the pass in coming your way more often then not.......There is at least 3 Corners out there right now that would put Vaughn out of a job if we have the money Im sure.......Sheldon Brown........Sam Shields......Shawntae Spencer.........If any of them are healthy

The Jets, and Rams each had 2 picks and passed.   The Giants, Falcons, Saints, Vikings, Raiders, Panthers, and Bengals passed on XR and all need DB help BAD...     and all drafted prior to Indy's pick     Minny took him with their SECOND pick in the first round.

He is a good player....      he is no Deion Sanders.

DB is a "concern" for the Colts, but it is nowhere near the level of need that pass rush is.     BjW was considered the top pass rusher in the draft by many.   I seen mocks having him going 2nd overall to Jax. prior to the draft.

Indy can only take ONE player per round, and tho there are several players I would have preferred Indy drafted the position that just happens to be BY FAR the most glaring need.

If the pass rush comes around the DB's will ALL look much better.

A great football team starts up front.  

And I like saying... 

"I like the combo of Mathis and BjW coming off the edge better than Mathis and Walden." . ...

Kyle quote: I like our CBs.  Davis, Toller, Butler

^^^^^^

Me too, but wouldn't you like to say this instead: I like our CBs.  Davis, Toller, Rhodes<I know I would :}

Go Colts!!!!!

The love for this kid never ends. Reading this board one would think Rhodes is the second coming of Deion Sanders. Fortunately, the Colts realize pass rush is much more important than corners.

Just speaking for myself, I like Rhodes because I think he can be a lockdown corner in the NFL. I'm not saying that's better or more important than a standout pass rusher, nor am I saying that we needed a corner more than we needed a pass rusher. I just like Rhodes. And I'll always wish we had drafted him, even though I'm happy with Werner.

Of course you don't use a 1st round pick for a backup to an already good proven player. BPA at the #24 pick was Xavier Rhodes and Colts really needed a top corner, but that will always be an argument :}

Go Colts!!!!!

Who the BPA when the colts were on the clock is very subjective and debatable.  IMO, Werner was the BPA and I had said in several threads leading up to the draft that I'd love to have Werner, but I never considered it a likely possibility because I thought he'd have been long gone, and honestly he very well could have been had it not been for the Saints drafting Vacarro.  Imo we lucked out getting Werner at #24 and I can't wait to see what he will do.  I liked Rhodes too, a lot actually but would have never taken him over Werner.  the Colts addressed the secondary in FA bringing in Toler and Landry and re-signing Butler but didn't do much as far as bringing in a pass rusher.  Sure we got Sidbury on a 1 year deal as a trial run but other than that, we didn't get anyone who is a proven pass rusher.  

Just speaking for myself, I like Rhodes because I think he can be a lockdown corner in the NFL. I'm not saying that's better or more important than a standout pass rusher, nor am I saying that we needed a corner more than we needed a pass rusher. I just like Rhodes. And I'll always wish we had drafted him, even though I'm happy with Werner.

I realize I simplified it by pitting pass rush vs corner, but the love for this kid, by some, is baffling. I would guess most of it has to do with him being 6'1 and running a fast forty. Opinions on him varied much more than the impression one would get from this forum.

Who the BPA when the colts were on the clock is very subjective and debatable.  IMO, Werner was the BPA and I had said in several threads leading up to the draft that I'd love to have Werner, but I never considered it a likely possibility because I thought he'd have been long gone, and honestly he very well could have been had it not been for the Saints drafting Vacarro.  Imo we lucked out getting Werner at #24 and I can't wait to see what he will do.  I liked Rhodes too, a lot actually but would have never taken him over Werner.  the Colts addressed the secondary in FA bringing in Toler and Landry and re-signing Butler but didn't do much as far as bringing in a pass rusher.  Sure we got Sidbury on a 1 year deal as a trial run but other than that, we didn't get anyone who is a proven pass rusher.  

We could have added multiple pass rushers with potential in later rounds, if we wanted. I'm not faulting the Werner pick; like you say, BPA is very subjective, particularly in this year's draft. But I think it's a faulty premise to suggest that because pass rusher was such a great need that we necessarily had to draft one in the first round. I liked Sam Montgomery and Corey Lemonier, and kind of wanted Grigson to take one of them even after we grabbed Werner in the first. I still don't think we have enough pass rushers, especially after we traded Hughes away.

It just bugs me that we continually break the Werner vs. Rhodes decision down to pass rusher vs. corner, when it doesn't really have to be that way.

I realize I simplified it by pitting pass rush vs corner, but the love for this kid, by some, is baffling. I would guess most of it has to do with him being 6'1 and running a fast forty. Opinions on him varied much more than the impression one would get from this forum.

Just speaking for myself, those are positives, sure. But most of what I like about him is what's covered in the OP. He's athletic and rangy, he doesn't let his man get open, he doesn't give up plays, big plays or otherwise, and he's physical with receivers. Add to that the potential he has to develop ball skills (which was the one real knock on him before the draft, he didn't make a lot of plays on the ball), and I see a potential shutdown corner. I'm not a scout, nor am I precognitive; that's just what I think.

People are talking about how he would have been 4th on the depth chart, and to me, that's incredibly shortsighted. You draft a first rounder hoping he earns a second contract, and can stick around for the better part of a decade. Not for one season. Vontae Davis is a free agent after this season, and he's not quite a lock for another deal, as promising as he is. We have high hopes for Toler, but he has injury issues that might limit his availability. And Butler is an underdog fan favorite, but he's not proven as a special player, certainly not untouchable. And that's without considering the possibility that a rookie could simply outplay one or more of those three players and earn a spot in the rotation. That's a good problem to have, I think.

In Werner's case, there's a clearer path to the starting lineup. He ought to be a major part of the rotation right away. Like I said, I like Werner. That doesn't mean I'm going to forget about liking Rhodes, though. 

Just speaking for myself, those are positives, sure. But most of what I like about him is what's covered in the OP. He's athletic and rangy, he doesn't let his man get open, he doesn't give up plays, big plays or otherwise, and he's physical with receivers. Add to that the potential he has to develop ball skills (which was the one real knock on him before the draft, he didn't make a lot of plays on the ball), and I see a potential shutdown corner. I'm not a scout, nor am I precognitive; that's just what I think.

People are talking about how he would have been 4th on the depth chart, and to me, that's incredibly shortsighted. You draft a first rounder hoping he earns a second contract, and can stick around for the better part of a decade. Not for one season. Vontae Davis is a free agent after this season, and he's not quite a lock for another deal, as promising as he is. We have high hopes for Toler, but he has injury issues that might limit his availability. And Butler is an underdog fan favorite, but he's not proven as a special player, certainly not untouchable. And that's without considering the possibility that a rookie could simply outplay one or more of those three players and earn a spot in the rotation. That's a good problem to have, I think.

In Werner's case, there's a clearer path to the starting lineup. He ought to be a major part of the rotation right away. Like I said, I like Werner. That doesn't mean I'm going to forget about liking Rhodes, though.

I don't think anybody really believes Rhodes would have been 4th on the depth chart.....it's just a response to " we need a corner cause Vaughn stinks" mantra.

I don't think anybody really believes Rhodes would have been 4th on the depth chart.....it's just a response to " we need a corner cause Vaughn stinks" mantra.

And probably easier than trying to argue that Vaughn is okay as a dimeback.

And probably easier than trying to argue that Vaughn is okay as a dimeback.

Truthfully saying Vaughn is ok as a Dimeback isn't really saying much, thats saying hes the 6th best DB on the field. Either way, Im with you on wanting Rhodes because he has the physical skills to be a shutdown corner and I wanted Lemonier later BAD, Even more then both of those though I wanted Brian Winters in the 3rd before the Jets took him with the 10th pick in that round