Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman the 2nd coming of Vince Wilfork ?

jshipp23

Getting really excited to see Chapman in action, think he will be a great NT in the league.

Plus i think he has great size for the position as he has good weight but isn't too tall so he has a lower center of gravity so in theory he should be harder to knock off balance. I know he's not a OL but when pushing the OL keeping balanced will be important.

I agree on the leverage aspect, I think his height could be an advantage and Hughes at 6-4 would be a perfect compliment...I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 4-3 at times with Hughes and Chapman and Mathis and Werner coming off the end, that is dangerous right there...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the leverage aspect, I think his height could be an advantage and Hughes at 6-4 would be a perfect compliment...I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 4-3 at times with Hughes and Chapman and Mathis and Werner coming off the end, that is dangerous right there...

That is a scary D line. Plus i know we are looking more like a 3 4 team this year but that isn't a bad shout imo for when we do deploy a 4 3 play. Plus i think that might be what we are looking at on passing downs and will make Werner transition better imo.

All I know is we are "building the monster" and planning to be a top 10 defense and we will need an anchor in the middle of the DLine.  While I dont agree with saying he is as good as Vince Wilfork, I will say it sounds like our coaches think he is the Vince Wilfork of our defense and the anchor in the middle. 

I'm optimistic for Big Chapman as well, but I'll wait to see him play first. I've stopped comparing players to others. Just let everyone be themselves and go out and perform.

This defensive line is highly under the radar, but Week 3 if we get some penetration on Kapernick, I think the under the radar will be gone

If im not mistaken he practiced some in December,so the players may have seen him in pads all ready

You're right, he was active and practicing for a few weeks then they pulled the uh on him saying they'd rather be him 100% going into this year instead of coming back early and reinjuring himself.

You're right, he was active and practicing for a few weeks then they pulled the uh on him saying they'd rather be him 100% going into this year instead of coming back early and reinjuring himself.

Outta likes but thanks,thought I had that right.

After reading all these comments I have drawn the conclusion that there are some that speak their opinions, debate their opinions and then argue about their opinions. Over 3/4 of the comments in this thread was nothing but controlled arguments. 

After reading all these comments I have drawn the conclusion that there are some that speak their opinions, debate their opinions and then argue about their opinions. Over 3/4 of the comments in this thread was nothing but controlled arguments. 

That would be the definition of debate :thmup:

Had the pleasure of watching his interview with McAfee on Colts Up Close and he seems like a great very humble guy...He is an absolute "TANK" eerily similar body-type to Wifork...I've heard nothing but good things about his potential and work-ethic, if he and Montori Hughes who also is supposedly opening eyes turn out, this defense may be very scary...The days of MJD running for 250 are over...

This coming from the guy who ridicules me for saying the defense could be great...

This coming from the guy who ridicules me for saying the defense could be great...

Lol...could be great...That is a big what if still, I like Chapman and Hughes but still unsure about our inside linebackers...You said are there any holes in our defense like there aren't any, that's a big difference...

Another great contribution, I really wish people would come with something of substance instead of trying to just start stuff...You don't have an opinion or want to debate then don't post or go on the thread...I myself go on threads that interest me and if they don't I don't feel the need to go on and take jabs at people...

Lol...could be great...That is a big what if still, I like Chapman and Hughes but still unsure about our inside linebackers...You said are there any holes in our defense like there aren't any, that's a big difference...

I don't think there are any gaping holes... We have average to above average players at every position. And there's nothing wrong with an average defense as long as it is better than last year

I don't think there are any gaping holes... We have average to above average players at every position. And there's nothing wrong with an average defense as long as it is better than last year

Guess I misunderstood no holes with being very good everywhere, and we are def avg at ILB and not a lot of depth at cb or S if injuries happen, but I do agree this defense is gonna be the best we have seen around these parts since the Bob Sanders Super Bowl winning team, and maybe better....

Guess I misunderstood no holes with being very good everywhere, and we are def avg at ILB and not a lot of depth at cb or S if injuries happen, but I do agree this defense is gonna be the best we have seen around these parts since the Bob Sanders Super Bowl winning team, and maybe better....

I think freeman is above average, he played at a pro bowl level last year. I agree that we need someone else opposite him. We have a lot of competition among ilb and that will allow the best player to start. And I think Landry can play the bob sanders role, especially with a guy like chapman occupying 2 lineman every play, that will allow our lbs to pretty much roam free and make plays

I think freeman is above average, he played at a pro bowl level last year. I agree that we need someone else opposite him. We have a lot of competition among ilb and that will allow the best player to start. And I think Landry can play the bob sanders role, especially with a guy like chapman occupying 2 lineman every play, that will allow our lbs to pretty much roam free and make plays

Hopefully one of those guys, Connor, Angerer, or the guy we got from Buffalo emerges and has a breakout year...If all goes perfectly we could have a legitimate top 10 defense or we could end up in the 20's, it's all about how they all fit and injuries...

Had the pleasure of watching his interview with McAfee on Colts Up Close and he seems like a great very humble guy...He is an absolute "TANK" eerily similar body-type to Wifork...I've heard nothing but good things about his potential and work-ethic, if he and Montori Hughes who also is supposedly opening eyes turn out, this defense may be very scary...The days of MJD running for 250 are over...

I am one that is very excited to see this kid play. I believe he has very high upside especially as a 5th round pick. I like that we were cautious last year and did not try playing him at all. Hope he stays 100% healthy. He could be a very huge piece and the "anchor" to this D for years to come.. I won't quite put the lable as the next Wilfork yet, but we can all hope for it...

Improve DL play will improve the play of our backers... But still feel the key to this D is having a guy to run the middle opposite of Freeman

Ted Washington, Wilfork...those are great players, but also behemoths that brought more height and length to the position than Chap does. You want a name as far as build/style goes? Look no further to an old Ravens stalwart, Kelly Gregg. Gregg ran about the same size (6', 320) with that human bowling ball kind of build, and was just a rock on the line for them. Chapman will be his own player, but that's the NT I'm reminded of when I scout Chapman.

Hughes was very good in college do to his explosiveness and athleticism not because he was sound technique wise, In that area he was very raw, Neglecting to wrap up and tackle consistently instead choosing to crash into his target many times

I don't think its really fair to start trying to compare him yet when we have not even got to really see what he can do in the NFL. Let's let him build his own name. I know we all like to speculate but the guy is gonna need a little time. Now that being said from what I hear the Colts really think this guy can be the anchor in the middle and help transform that D line. Just needs to stay healthy. But they seem real high on him as they do Hughes. I'm so ready for the season to begin. I feel like a kid who can't sit still, I'm too anxious and excited.