Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman the 2nd coming of Vince Wilfork ?

jshipp23

Still dont get it...?

SEC o-lineman....not NFL 0-lineman

Its not the position....its the league ....Do you really consider the SEC almost equal to the NFL.

I know that's what they say on ESPN... :goodluck:

SEC hands down ,best conf. in College Football,but your right,still a learning curb and speed of the game and complexity is much different for the most part

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is running with the 1st unit on an NFL team who brought in free agents and draft picks  and had vets without playing in the NFL yet, so I'm assumming his skills must be translating??? Or maybe Pagano and Manusky know nothing about defense??? I guess they must think he will be able to handle the job..

He is running with the 1st unit on an NFL team who brought in free agents and draft picks  and had vets without playing in the NFL yet, so I'm assumming his skills must be translating??? Or maybe Pagano and Manusky know nothing about defense??? I guess they must think he will be able to handle the job..

Oh I fully expect they know what they are doing,and if healthy he will be on the starting unit

Ohhh man...The difference between dominating in the SEC or the BIG EAST??? Really??? Come on man...

I don't remember Chapman 'dominate' at Bama. He was a solid player, the anchor of a very good D that produced a lot of high draft picks over the time of his career. I don't think he even made SEC first team all stars.

He was never the guy that everyone pointed to and said he's going to be a star. A very good player on a very good team. If we can say the same thing about him this time next year, we should all be happy.

Building continuity you want even your rotational players to play with the 1st unit, Nothing out of the ordinary

I don't remember Chapman 'dominate' at Bama. He was a solid player, the anchor of a very good D that produced a lot of high draft picks over the time of his career. I don't think he even made SEC first team all stars.

He was never the guy that everyone pointed to and said he's going to be a star. A very good player on a very good team. If we can say the same thing about him this time next year, we should all be happy.

He started every game on 1 leg and led the best defense in college to it's second consecutive championship I believe and was projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick despite having 2 torn ligaments and the prospect of redshirting his 1st NFL season....I would say it's safe to assume if he was healthy or came into the NFL in 2010 he would have been a 1st rounder..This may turn out to be Grigson's shrewdest best move of his short career thus far....

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the 1st team offense plays against the 1st team defense in an NFL practice so I believe he must be holding his own against 1st string NFL o-linemen????

Seriously? In shorts, not hitting, basically walking through plays. That tells you how good a NT is playing?

Cue Seth and Amy... Really?

I dont think the SEC, the top college league,  is that close to the NFL.

That's where we differ.  SEC o-lineman are nothing like NFL o-linemen, even if they were drafted out of the SEC...

The NFL is grown men with serious violence issues

Look...I see the reports and the glowing comments and we all saw Josh Chapman play at Albama.

Its fun to hear Robert Mathis speak so highly of him but Robert swore to us that Curtis Painter could play, too.

I hope you are right.....that Chapman will star his first year.and shut down Houstons' run game

But I've watched way too much pro football to believe that...

I do think everyone gets that this is all speculation.  If we only talked about what a player did in the past, it would get to be a bit boring.  EVERYONE in the future is speculative. 

So I do think the comments reminding posters that he hasn't played yet are a bit rhetorical.    

He started every game on 1 leg and led the best defense in college to it's second consecutive championship I believe and was projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick despite having 2 torn ligaments and the prospect of redshirting his 1st NFL season....I would say it's safe to assume if he was healthy or came into the NFL in 2010 he would have been a 1st rounder..This may turn out to be Grigson's shrewdest best move of his short career thus far....

He was playing behind Cody in 2009, who was a second round pick in the 10 draft. I know you like the kid, so do I, but lets try to be a bit realistic

He was playing behind Cody in 2009, who was a second round pick in the 10 draft. I know you like the kid, so do I, but lets try to be a bit realistic

I'm talkin 2010 and 2011 not 09, and Cody was not near the athlete this kid is, just a massive human space filler, nothing alike at all...

He was all SEC defense  2nd team on a bad knee,and hes not gonna stop anyones running game alone,lets remember its a team game.IMO he will demand a double Team ,please by all means hold me to this and come back and tell me when im wrong :thmup:

I'm talkin 2010 and 2011 not 09, and Cody was not near the athlete this kid is, just a massive human space filler, nothing alike at all...

Read your post, you said if he came into the NFL in 10 he'd be a first round pick. Believe me, he didn't get anywhere near the praise that Cody got, nor the expectations. I think I've seen enough Bama games to know the difference. Josh was solid, Cody was a game changer. And a second round pick.

While perhaps Cody is not the athlete that Chapman is, Poe is twice the athlete or more that Chapman is and Poe was a 1st rounder, Those are the type of NT's that you draft in the 1st round, He also had 29 bench reps at his Pro Day so he was not elite in that category either, good but not great, Poe had 44

I do think everyone gets that this is all speculation.  If we only talked about what a player did in the past, it would get to be a bit boring.  EVERYONE in the future is speculative. 

So I do think the comments reminding posters that he hasn't played yet are a bit rhetorical.    

Understood Johnny U.....but there is a flip side...

There is an 1,00% understandable endless love of rookies or prospects who have never played a down.

They are so attractive, I believe, becaues they have never been blocked, never been tackled and  never missed an assignment.

Its easy to rave about what stars like Tavon (TooSmall) Austin can do because he's never been stopped in an NFL game. Not once!! 

So its easy to love them and go on and on about their potential dominance because no one can prove you arent wrong.

Its 'safe love' and you're never rejected.

But us old folks have seen Jim Brown come into the NFL and suddenly become Donald Brown. 

We forget how much we pledged allegience to that guy..and go on to adore the 'next big thing'

I suspect its not the player..but that fact that he has never done anything wrong in pro ball  that is so appealing

You would be remiss if you didnt remind the smitten that love dont love nobody.  

But he hasn't played yet. :)

He was all SEC defense  2nd team on a bad knee,and hes not gonna stop anyones running game alone,lets remember its a team game.IMO he will demand a double Team ,please by all means hold me to this and come back and tell me when im wrong :thmup:

Fair enough, Jay!

While perhaps Cody is not the athlete that Chapman is, Poe is twice the athlete or more that Chapman is and Poe was a 1st rounder, Those are the type of NT's that you draft in the 1st round, He also had 29 bench reps at his Pro Day so he was not elite in that category either, good but not great, Poe had 44

Poe doesn't seem to want it though??? And I bet Chapman is doing 44 or more at this time,...Can't make a guy want it, I doubt Poe would have risked his future and played with 2 torn ligaments for his team either...

Let's just see him play first before we start making comparisons to Vince Wilfork.

A better question is: Is Andrew Luck the second coming of Christ?

Christ was the first incarnation of Andrew Luck...durrr

If Hughes learns to use his hands more and better then he will make a good rotational player with starting potential.......If not......well....That late in the draft at NT/DE I think I would have prefered Quinton Dial to play the 3 technique and 5, I just think Dial is more explosive and better at shedding blocks and wrapping up, He also flashes a mean streak

I disagree on this one...had my eyes on Hughes all year...nimble for 340....if we can ever say it...need a big boy at DT too....I love Hughes (Montori)  This line has potential.

To Chapman, I love the leverage that 6' 1" 325-340 Chapman brings.....finally a true NT...not going to predict whom he is like though.....too soon!  

I disagree on this one...had my eyes on Hughes all year...nimble for 340....if we can ever say it...need a big boy at DT too....I love Hughes (Montori)  This line has potential.

To Chapman, I love the leverage that 6' 1" 325-340 Chapman brings.....finally a true NT...not going to predict whom he is like though.....too soon!

I agree with your Hughes assessment,if this kid wants it and wants to learn ,the sky is the limit,its up to him.The way he can move for his size is just mad.And IM ready to see our NT Chapman loved his selection from the start, even if it was risky

Lol Dustin Josh is around 345 right now if im not mistaken,316 in college

I've been asking the front office about that in Letters to the Mailbag....

They assure that he's much closer to 315 than he is 345....    they didn't give a number but not as high as Grigson hinted at in an off-season comment....

I'm not sure Willfork is the right comparison....   I think what makes him so special is that he can stay on the field no matter if the Pats are in a 3-4 or a 4-3.   

And, he can get some push into the backfield.   Not sure how much Chapman can.   I think he's more of a run stuffer and a guy who will hold up OL and keep things clean for the linebackers.

But, all in all,   I understand JShipp is excited about Chapman,  and I am too....    

(Oh God, help me!   I'm in agreement with JS!)    :beg:

I'm not really sure who Chap resembles the most with regard to current NFL players, but the staff seems to be confident in his ability... Pagano has been talking him up for some time, which means little, but he is working with the first unit, which says a lot IMO considering the other NTs on the roster...

What Chapman did at Bama in his senior year was simply remarkable. It may have cost him some playing time and probably was not the best thing for his individual career, but it was amazing nonetheless... To play at the level he did on one leg is mind boggling... The strength and toughness it would require is off the charts... Pure Beastiness..

Maybe he wasn't the best NT in last year's draft, but we got him in the 5th round... If he becomes a solid starter, you can bank on the 2012 draft to be the best in Indy's history... I'm having a hard time thinking of any team that has ever had a better one (I think you judge a draft based on the drafted players' production over the course of their rookie contracts, but others are free to disagree) If Chap actually plays up to the potential that I think he has, he could be a future pro bowler. Honestly, I am an optimist, but I believe that Luck, Allen, Fleener, Hilton, Chapman, and even Ballard have pro bowl potential... whether they live up to it remains to be seen, but they all put together some solid rookie campaigns (except Chap) and showed flashes of elite skill (with the possible exception of Fleener, who is an athletic freak at TE). In 3 years, we will be looking back at one of NFL history's greatest draft classes, which is insane considering the completely unforeseen and ridiculous circumstances that led us to that point... So many things had to happen just exactly right for it to happen, but it did... I see a classic NFL Film in the making...

Getting really excited to see Chapman in action, think he will be a great NT in the league.

Plus i think he has great size for the position as he has good weight but isn't too tall so he has a lower center of gravity so in theory he should be harder to knock off balance. I know he's not a OL but when pushing the OL keeping balanced will be important.

I'm not sure Willfork is the right comparison....   I think what makes him so special is that he can stay on the field no matter if the Pats are in a 3-4 or a 4-3.   

And, he can get some push into the backfield.   Not sure how much Chapman can.   I think he's more of a run stuffer and a guy who will hold up OL and keep things clean for the linebackers.

But, all in all,   I understand JShipp is excited about Chapman,  and I am too....    

(Oh God, help me!   I'm in agreement with JS!)    :beg:

Lol im outta likes,but for the most part on the part of being very optimistic ,Im in agreement as well

I've been asking the front office about that in Letters to the Mailbag....

They assure that he's much closer to 315 than he is 345....    they didn't give a number but not as high as Grigson hinted at in an off-season comment....

If hes around 320 at 6ft 1 " would be great