Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rank the position of NFL teams

I was just thinking how it seems the Colts have a great future and I was wondering what the different mindsets of franchises are now. So...

What are the top 5 teams in each of the following states as an NFL franchise? 

Win-now mode, Set for a great future, Mediocrity, and We're doomed. Of course a lot of them overlap but I'm looking for those teams who for example in the win now category don't have a bright future beyond 5 years. 

Win now: 

- Patriots

- Broncos

-  Steelers

- Cowboys

- Saints

Set for a great future: 

- Colts 

- Seahawks

- 49ers

- Vikings (although you never know what can happen when your team relies on a RB)- so instead I'll say the Rams 

- Bengals

I left the Redskins out of this category because I can't feel confident saying their set for a great future with RG3's injury concerns. 

Mediocrity:

- Bears

- Chargers

- Bills

- Titans

- Giants 

We're doomed: 

- Jets

- Raiders

- Browns

- Jacksonville

- Arizona 

So those are the teams that I feel fit those categories appropriately, in no order. What do you guys think?

Im assuming set for the future implies some of those teams are in win now mode also right? Becuase IMO the Colts, Seahawks, and 49ers all have a great future, but are also in win now mode

Yeah, their just not only in a win now mindset like the Patriots are with losing Brady. 

Cardinals still only have 1 good O Lineman in Cooper and there Tackles were awful last year in Massie(plays like he has cement in his shoes) and Potter has inconsistent hand placement and overextends at times, He also stops moving his feet a bit, They still have alot of work to do on that O Line

Browns aren't doomed either. They have a good foundation set up.

Great O-line, pretty good D-line, a pair of pass rushers in Kruger and Mingo, Joe Haden in the secondary, solid receiving core headed by Josh Gordon, and a pretty good RB.

Wouldn't surprise me to see them at 8-8 next year.

I was just thinking how it seems the Colts have a great future and I was wondering what the different mindsets of franchises are now. So...

What are the top 5 teams in each of the following states as an NFL franchise? 

Win-now mode, Set for a great future, Mediocrity, and We're doomed. Of course a lot of them overlap but I'm looking for those teams who for example in the win now category don't have a bright future beyond 5 years. 

Win now: 

- Patriots

- Broncos

-  Steelers

- Cowboys

- Saints

Set for a great future: 

- Colts 

- Seahawks

- 49ers

- Vikings (although you never know what can happen when your team relies on a RB)- so instead I'll say the Rams 

- Bengals

I left the Redskins out of this category because I can't feel confident saying their set for a great future with RG3's injury concerns. 

Mediocrity:

- Bears

- Chargers

- Bills

- Titans

- Giants 

We're doomed: 

- Jets

- Raiders

- Browns

- Jacksonville

- Arizona 

So those are the teams that I feel fit those categories appropriately, in no order. What do you guys think?

did you forget the skins also have a better back up QB then most NFL teams??? Cousins came in the game that RG3 got hurt and had a game winning drive PLUS the two point conversion. they were smart in getting cousins.

Browns still only have 1 decent wr, Keenan Davis wont be nothing special, Dont have alot of breakaway speed or great hands, Not real quick acceleration off the line and drops some balls he should catch do to getting rattled in traffick

I think Giants are more win now than the Steelers.  Also Browns have a chance to move out of we're doomed!  However, they have to take that step on the field which is something they have yet to do over the past few years.  I think the Bills are more doomed than the Browns are at the moment. 

I wouldn't call the Giants, Chargers, or Bears mediocre, nor would I say that the Raiders or Cardinals or doomed. I would also put the Redskins in the set category, Griffin is going to be a good QB in this league. And no Texans? -__-

Browns still only have 1 decent wr, Keenan Davis wont be nothing special, Dont have alot of breakaway speed or great hands, Not real quick acceleration off the line and drops some balls he should catch do to getting rattled in traffick

Meh, Greg Little and Davone Bess are solid. They could definitely use a game changer there though.  

I wouldn't call the Giants, Chargers, or Bears mediocre, nor would I say that the Raiders or Cardinals or doomed. I would also put the Redskins in the set category, Griffin is going to be a good QB in this league. And no Texans? -__-

i put the texans in the win now, cause Andre and Schaub are getting up there, coupled with Foster being 26 and in 5 years... well we all know what happens to RBs over 30.

Truth is EVERY team is in a win now mode, they just have various reasons for it, Some have the talent, Some need to win or heads will undoubtedly roll like some inevitably do every year, some have aging veterans that have not experienced much playoff success, some want to get back and hoist the lombardi for what could be there final time in there career but Herm Edwards said it best (Ill add my own little twist)...........You play to win the game!....You play to win now!

i put the texans in the win now, cause Andre and Schaub are getting up there, coupled with Foster being 26 and in 5 years... well we all know what happens to RBs over 30.

Ahh, I see. But I think adding Hopkins is going to help sustain Johnson's career and he'll probably be taking time off during games to make sure we avoid injuries and to keep him nice and ready for the playoffs so that we don't run out of steam again. Same thing with Swearinger and Reed, and apparently the coaching staff is very impressed with Klein, and of course Yates, so maybe we are set at QB in the future as well. Ben Tate can manage behind Foster as well, and I can see us taking another RB in the near future in the Draft. Though like Gavin said, every team is technically in win now mode.

Ahh, I see. But I think adding Hopkins is going to help sustain Johnson's career and he'll probably be taking time off during games to make sure we avoid injuries and to keep him nice and ready for the playoffs so that we don't run out of steam again. Same thing with Swearinger and Reed, and apparently the coaching staff is very impressed with Klein, and of course Yates, so maybe we are set at QB in the future as well. Ben Tate can manage behind Foster as well, and I can see us taking another RB in the near future in the Draft. Though like Gavin said, every team is technically in win now mode.

while everything you said could be true except for tate cause he will be 29 in 5 years (so his shelf live won't be all that great after foster turns 30)... those are all big question marks. some haven't played a snap in the nfl yet so can't judge that yet and i don't expect any high draft picks in the next 5 years for the texans. if they can get by the colts then they might be able to win now. lol

while everything you said could be true except for tate cause he will be 29 in 5 years (so his shelf live won't be all that great after foster turns 30)... those are all big question marks. some haven't played a snap in the nfl yet so can't judge that yet and i don't expect any high draft picks in the next 5 years for the texans. if they can get by the colts then they might be able to win now. lol

Oops, for some reason keep thinking Tate is younger lol. Maybe it's the year he missed idk. Yates has played well, and I do agree that we can't place responsibility on the younger, unproven guys yet. But hey, we've been drafting good for years, who needs low draft picks anyway, NE and Green Bay are still going strong haha. Who knows what anyone will look like in 5 years honestly, injuries and FA always come into the picture because we all know that players like to play for contenders.  And of course we'll be able to get by the Colts. ;)

Oops, for some reason keep thinking Tate is younger lol. Maybe it's the year he missed idk. Yates has played well, and I do agree that we can't place responsibility on the younger, unproven guys yet. But hey, we've been drafting good for years, who needs low draft picks anyway, NE and Green Bay are still going strong haha. Who knows what anyone will look like in 5 years honestly, injuries and FA always come into the picture because we all know that players like to play for contenders.  And of course we'll be able to get by the Colts. ;)

well NE jedi mind tricks some dumb GM every year into giving them all their picks and the kitchen sink. i just think the texans compared to younger teams like the colts, seahawks, 49ers, and the bengals are geared for maybe the next 7-10 years vs the next 3-5 years....

well NE jedi mind tricks some dumb GM every year into giving them all their picks and the kitchen sink. i just think the texans compared to younger teams like the colts, seahawks, 49ers, and the bengals are geared for maybe the next 7-10 years vs the next 3-5 years....

Fair enough. I'll take a SB or two to sacrifice the next 7 years haha

I think the Texans pass rush will be sick again this year. When you bring back Brian Cushing and you add guys like Trevardo Williams and Sam Montgomery to the mix along with guys like Brooks Reed who can blitz from the middle and a second year Whitney Mercilus(i wasn't that impressed with him in the first year, but i think he'll be better). And of course you have to include J.J. Watt.

Even though Watt is there, I still kind of feel like they should have upgraded the Dline a bit more but it doesn't appear like they added much else to the mix. Antonio Smith is on the wrong side of 30 and the other guys like Cody(not sure if he's still there) to me were middle of the road. I believe I read they may have added a nose tackle but I'm not sure. If they did I don't know how good he is.

Offensively I think they will be much harder to deal with this year with the addition of Hopkins who I feel will be very productive. Also the maturation of guys like Lestar Jean, Keyshawn Martin, and maybe even Devier Posey if he can get back from the injury at all thisyear. I think Ray Graham will make the team and end up giving Ben Tate a run for his money. If so, the Texans will have a very deep stable of running backs. We'll see!

I think the Texans pass rush will be sick again this year. When you bring back Brian Cushing and you add guys like Trevardo Williams and Sam Montgomery to the mix along with guys like Brooks Reed who can blitz from the middle and a second year Whitney Mercilus(i wasn't that impressed with him in the first year, but i think he'll be better). And of course you have to include J.J. Watt.

Even though Watt is there, I still kind of feel like they should have upgraded the Dline a bit more but it doesn't appear like they added much else to the mix. Antonio Smith is on the wrong side of 30 and the other guys like Cody(not sure if he's still there) to me were middle of the road. I believe I read they may have added a nose tackle but I'm not sure. If they did I don't know how good he is.

Offensively I think they will be much harder to deal with this year with the addition of Hopkins who I feel will be very productive. Also the maturation of guys like Lestar Jean, Keyshawn Martin, and maybe even Devier Posey if he can get back from the injury at all thisyear. I think Ray Graham will make the team and end up giving Ben Tate a run for his money. If so, the Texans will have a very deep stable of running backs. We'll see!

Yeah I wasn't impressed by Mercilus' production last year either. Hoping for the best and that he can step his game up. And Cody is gone but apparently we signed our sixth-round pick Jones a few days ago. And we still have longtime NT Earl Mitchell with us lol. I think Smith should do for now and we lost Barwin who honestly probably won't be too hard to replace. Hoping Wade can come up with some exotic schemes to get all our guys involved. I'm glad we got Reed in the back end now, him replacing Quin is definitely a plus. Having him roaming the secondary should give our guys up front some better chances to get to the QB. And I too am looking forward to KM continuing to develop. Anything that takes the boatload of responsibility off of Andre is good to me.

I also like the fact that they drafted two new Offensive Tackles. They pretty much addressed everything except D line in my opinion. However the guys that are there aren't bad, I just think outside of Watt the age level and talent level needs a little bit of an upgrade. They may end up finding a UDFA free agent gem by the time training camp and the pre season is over with. Even if they don't they should still be pretty solid.

I look forward to the match up!

Yeah I wasn't impressed by Mercilus' production last year either. Hoping for the best and that he can step his game up. And Cody is gone but apparently we signed our sixth-round pick Jones a few days ago. And we still have longtime NT Earl Mitchell with us lol. I think Smith should do for now and we lost Barwin who honestly probably won't be too hard to replace. Hoping Wade can come up with some exotic schemes to get all our guys involved. I'm glad we got Reed in the back end now, him replacing Quin is definitely a plus. Having him roaming the secondary should give our guys up front some better chances to get to the QB. And I too am looking forward to KM continuing to develop. Anything that takes the boatload of responsibility off of Andre is good to me.

I'm interested to see how Swearinger turns out. Kid looks like a pretty solid ball player. I didn't think Quinn was that bad, but he certainly didn't make you fear putting the ball in the air. Swearinger seems to have a great deal of upside.

I also like the fact that they drafted two new Offensive Tackles. They pretty much addressed everything except D line in my opinion. However the guys that are there aren't bad, I just think outside of Watt the age level and talent level needs a little bit of an upgrade. They may end up finding a UDFA free agent gem by the time training camp and the pre season is over with. Even if they don't they should still be pretty solid.

I look forward to the match up!

As do I. The lead-up to the game is always fun here, a lot of trash talking! Just how I like it. :D  And I agree about the d-line but I think we got a steal with Montgomery, hoping to see good things out of him this year!

I'm interested to see how Swearinger turns out. Kid looks like a pretty solid ball player. I didn't think Quinn was that bad, but he certainly didn't make you fear putting the ball in the air. Swearinger seems to have a great deal of upside.

Yep. If anything will be missed it will be Quin's sure tackling. He was our only "good" corner for a while when Kareem the Dream was stinking it up a couple of years ago, but the switch to safety was good for him I think. I wish him the best in Detroit even though I don't like the Lions at all lol. We will see if Swearinger is up to the task, he will be the starter if Reed isn't ready for the start of the season.

Not sure what the Giants have done to be in the camp of "mediocrity"???

They've won two Super Bowls recently,  and their off-season are typically just out of the playoffs with a 9-7 season.

This is mediocrity?    I think there are lots of teams who would kill for that.

I'd have them in the "win now" camp.   Eli has to be 30-ish....   their window is only open for as long as he plays well.

But that's a franchise that typically knows who to draft very well,  work FA,  and manage their salary cap.    That's a well run franchise.

I never think of them as mediocre.....

like i said you have to get past the colts first. lol also i think a lot of teams are geared to win now with unceratian futures, like denver and NE, who have two of the greatest qbs to throw a football in the nfl but after their window closes it looks bleak...i think the texans will be better off then either of those teams. mainly cause that guy JJ Watt is a man among boys.

like i said you have to get past the colts first. lol also i think a lot of teams are geared to win now with unceratian futures, like denver and NE, who have two of the greatest qbs to throw a football in the nfl but after their window closes it looks bleak...i think the texans will be better off then either of those teams. mainly cause that guy JJ Watt is a man among boys.

Yeah but I think that Belichick will be with the Patriots long after Brady retires, and the guy is a mastermind. But then again, who knows. If they keep Mallett on the bench catching splinters and learning behind Brady when he retires, they may have a super Favre-Rodgers effect. Or Mallett could just suck after not seeing the field for so long lol. But I hope you're right about us being better competitors than the Patriots or Broncos down the road. I personally think we're better than the Broncos now but that's another discussion altogether haha

I don't think the bills are as bad as some think they have a great RB and a good looking young WR core but IMO Kolb has the ability to be a good starter when he has an o line and who knows wat EJ will do

I don't think they'll be able to get wins against the Dolphins or Patriots, and no way they'll be able to get a WC. But you're right, they may have improved on paper with the Manuel pick and the Kolb acquisition, but if the guy couldn't get wins with Fitzgerald as his wideout...

I don't think they'll be able to get wins against the Dolphins or Patriots, and no way they'll be able to get a WC. But you're right, they may have improved on paper with the Manuel pick and the Kolb acquisition, but if the guy couldn't get wins with Fitzgerald as his wideout...

He was 4-0 before he got injured.....

7-8 with the Cardinals. If they believed he was the answer I don't think he would be in Buffalo right now lol.

His point is the same as mine he has played good when he has time to throw he played good in Philly and started 4-0 in AZ till he got destroyed cause of no protection I just think he is better then a lot of starters when he actually has a line to help him

I think he is better then Sanchez Locker Gabbert Weedon Ponder and Palmer

7-8 with the Cardinals. If they believed he was the answer I don't think he would be in Buffalo right now lol.

I don't think they believed he was THE ANSWER, and as such wasn't worth $11m in 2013. But that doesn't make him a terrible quarterback. He's definitely better than Fitzpatrick, and as was stated earlier, their season fell apart when he got hurt. He was actually playing pretty well prior to that, and the team was winning.