Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we honestly have any holes on defense?

trueblueblood

Expanding on the inside LBs it seems to me with more DLs demanding double teams it just allows the inside backers more opportunity to blast the gaps to stop the run or even get to the QB,also allows them to stay at home if need be to drop back in coverage

Yep, that's the theory. Helps keep those LBs and secondary guys healthier too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2012 Ravens vs 2013 Colts:

CBs:

Davis > Cary Williams

Toler > Jimmy Smith

Safeties:

Bethea < Reed (Reed is better in coverage, but Bethea is a better tackler. Reed gets the nod.)

Landry = Pollard (Both terrible in coverage, big hitters)

Linebackers:

Freeman > Lewis

Angerer  > Ellerbe

Mathis < Suggs

Werner < Kruger

Walden <<< McClain

D-line: 

Redding < Ngata

RJF < Jones

Chapman < Kemoeatu

Colts: 4

Ravens: 7

1 wash.

Hopefully some of those carrot signs can be changed next season, but I don't see us comparing to the Ravens at all. Especially with OLBers and D-line. The most important parts of the defense.

I don't agree with you on some of those areas. We have much better defensive line depth than that team andmore pass rushers than them. We just have some unknown factors that will be determined when the season starts. When you look at guys like Montori Hughes, Bjorn Werner, Ricky Jean Francois, Josh Chapman, Cory Redding, Brandon Mckinney, Fili Moala, Martin Tevaseu, and not to mention Drake Nevis. I don't think the Ravens had anywhere near the type of depth that we have on this years team. Not only do we have depth, but we have guys who are solid players pretty much across the board. It's a very solid rotation.

Of course I understand that maybe one or two of those guys may not make the team, but evenafter the cuts I think we will still have one of the better Dlines in the league. When youlook at the amount of guys we have on this team who can rush the passer, I think we have more guys on this team who can impact games than the Ravens had last year. The Ravens didn't really have any pass rushers other than Suggs and Paul Kruger.

People keep speculating on how strong our pass rush will be this year and I just shake my head. I think we have a number of guys on this team who can get to the quarterback and thecoaching staff is well aware of it. The fans however are a bit behind to me. We've got at least 5 guys in rotation who can get to the quarterback between Werner, Mathis, Sidbury, Mcnary(I think he'll make the team), and Walden. Walden is not known for putting up huge sack numbers but I've seen him enough times to know he can put pressure on the pocket. I don't think they will use him exclusively as a run supporter, there will be times he stays onthe field in passing downs just like he did in Green Bay. He does have a respectable amount of ability to get in the quarterbacks face. A guy who I'm very interested in is Lawrence Sidbury, I think he's got a ton of potential, the Falcons totally mishandled the guy for whatever reason. The dude runs a 4.5 40 and has just as many spin moves as Freeney. I thinkthings are going to come together for him this year barring injury.

You're comparing starters, but I'm comparing the entire front 7 rotation. I think talent wise we are just as good as that team if not better.

I don't agree with you on some of those areas. We have much better defensive line depth than that team andmore pass rushers than them. We just have some unknown factors that will be determined when the season starts. When you look at guys like Montori Hughes, Bjorn Werner, Ricky Jean Francois, Josh Chapman, Cory Redding, Brandon Mckinney, Fili Moala, Martin Tevaseu, and not to mention Drake Nevis. I don't think the Ravens had anywhere near the type of depth that we have on this years team. Not only do we have depth, but we have guys who are solid players pretty much across the board. It's a very solid rotation.

Of course I understand that maybe one or two of those guys may not make the team, but evenafter the cuts I think we will still have one of the better Dlines in the league. When youlook at the amount of guys we have on this team who can rush the passer, I think we have more guys on this team who can impact games than the Ravens had last year. The Ravens didn't really have any pass rushers other than Suggs and Paul Kruger.

People keep speculating on how strong our pass rush will be this year and I just shake my head. I think we have a number of guys on this team who can get to the quarterback and thecoaching staff is well aware of it. The fans however are a bit behind to me. We've got at least 5 guys in rotation who can get to the quarterback between Werner, Mathis, Sidbury, Mcnary(I think he'll make the team), and Walden. Walden is not known for putting up huge sack numbers but I've seen him enough times to know he can put pressure on the pocket. I don't think they will use him exclusively as a run supporter, there will be times he stays onthe field in passing downs just like he did in Green Bay. He does have a respectable amount of ability to get in the quarterbacks face. A guy who I'm very interested in is Lawrence Sidbury, I think he's got a ton of potential, the Falcons totally mishandled the guy for whatever reason. The dude runs a 4.5 40 and has just as many spin moves as Freeney. I thinkthings are going to come together for him this year barring injury.

You're comparing starters, but I'm comparing the entire front 7 rotation. I think talent wise we are just as good as that team if not better.

Not that he will be a major pass rusher I believe Chapman had like maybe 16 and a half at Alabama if im not mistaken

I just really think this guy will find his way with the Colts. You might laugh at me when I make this statement, but I think this guy has Mathis potential on passing downs. I can visualize him and Mathis coming off the edge on third down as one of our rotations. I haven't seen much information that said he was a bust with the Falcons. Mike Nolan for whatever reason would not play the kid and I've seen more than one person who said it was a mistake. I thinkGrigs was wise to pick the kid up.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/mar/06/sidbury-not-about-falcons-life/

I just really think this guy will find his way with the Colts. You might laugh at me when I make this statement, but I think this guy has Mathis potential on passing downs. I can visualize him and Mathis coming off the edge on third down as one of our rotations. I haven't seen much information that said he was a bust with the Falcons. Mike Nolan for whatever reason would not play the kid and I've seen more than one person who said it was a mistake. I thinkGrigs was wise to pick the kid up.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/mar/06/sidbury-not-about-falcons-life/

Wow, that poor OT from Montana got schooled that night.  Nice spin move and a pretty good bull rush.  I know it was a 1AA school but that's where Mathis showed his stuff too.

I don't know much about him or why he never got to play.  Low risk, possible high reward.

I would have to see where anyone said our OL was fixed last year. Those pickups were stop gap measures at best...Justice and McGlynn anyways....Satele was supposed to be a 'find.' We 'found' ourselves in a dilemma when he was oft-injured and outplayed by AQ Shipley....3 yrs- 10.8 million....here's to hoping he was just injured!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:(Only 3 it is early :)) We have him again....URRGH!!!

I do remember quite a few people not wanting an offensive lineman in the draft last year cause we brought in those guys. As unbelievable as it is, it did happen  :D

Wow, that poor OT from Montana got schooled that night.  Nice spin move and a pretty good bull rush.  I know it was a 1AA school but that's where Mathis showed his stuff too.

I don't know much about him or why he never got to play.  Low risk, possible high reward.

I just realized that was 3 different Offensive Tackles that he beat on each of those sacks. #72 #75, and #76

depth is really only a problem at corner, John Boyett and Joe Lefeged are good depth at safety, Kelvin Sheppard and Kavell Conner are good depth at ILB, Lawrence Sidbury and Bjoern Werner/Erik Walden (both will play equal snaps IMO) at OLB's, and Montori Hughes, Drake Nevis, and Aubrayo Franklin at D-line, but depth is a problem at corner, but one of our UDFA steps up, then its not a very big problem, Sheldon Price look very good at rookie camp so if he can step up that would be great, however Cassius Vaughn is not that bad for a 4th corner

Holes?     In the Colts defense?     Really?     Seriously?

I'll take "Yes! for $2,000, Alex"

Find me 40 sacks from this defense.     Find me 20-24 interceptions.

They may come.   They may be there.    But they're not apparent now, today. 

Who are the game changers?    Who are the big play makers?    I don't see many today.    I might in 6 months,  but nothing is obvious to me today.

So, for me there are holes on every level (DL, LB and DB) until we prove on the field that there are not.

Do we have to have 40 sacks and 24 ints to be successful/better.  The 2006 SB champs weren't close to either of those catorgories but things turned out all right :thmup:

Do we have to have 40 sacks and 24 ints to be successful/better.  The 2006 SB champs weren't close to either of those catorgories but things turned out all right :thmup:

We have to have nearly that many.   A quick check of defensive stats showed we were at best in the bottom third, and sometimes dead last in key defensive stats...

Last in fumbles recovered.   And in the bottom quarter with Interceptions and bottom third in sacks.

We were either the only playoff team in bottom 3rd of these categories,  or there were one or two others who were also in the bottom third, but still ranked higher.  

In short, the vast majority of playoff-caliber teams were among the leaders in sacks, interceptions and fumbles recovered.

You can make the playoffs with a weaker defense,  but sooner or later it comes back to haunt you.

Imo we're set at DL, have enough LB's who aren't world class but aren't poor either. Now we have a few good safties but i would like to see another decent/good CB along with Davis, Toler, Butler. If that just happens to be one of the udfa's then i think we don't have any holes. Not saying everyone is probowl caliber but good enough to put a performance in.

Gah!..............I don't get the ILB hate......we have the team leader in tackles for 2012 in one slot, the team leader in tackles 2011 in the other.......and until this season nothing in front of them in either year..........Can we please wait and see what either or both are capable of staying clean before we dismiss or discard them......I don't know why it annoys me....but man it annoys me LOL

Gah!..............I don't get the ILB hate......we have the team leader in tackles for 2012 in one slot, the team leader in tackles 2011 in the other.......and until this season nothing in front of them in either year..........Can we please wait and see what either or both are capable of staying clean before we dismiss or discard them......I don't know why it annoys me....but man it annoys me LOL

Same, I like Angerer and Freeman a lot as our starters and cant be too bad if they led the team in tackles. I also like Conner and Sheppard as well and think they can be productive. I also like the look of McNary, he seems to be pretty good from the videos i have seen of him.

Good thread!  It really shows who the optimists are and who the pessimists are.  No team has 11 Pro Bowlers who never get injured on D, so every team has "questions" and "holes" for the pessimists.  I think we're pretty deep everywhere on D but the CBs, but even those aren't as bad as some think.  Particularly Vaughn.  He got his first good experience last year, and played well at times.  He'll probably be better this year with a year's experience...

Good thread!  It really shows who the optimists are and who the pessimists are.  No team has 11 Pro Bowlers who never get injured on D, so every team has "questions" and "holes" for the pessimists.  I think we're pretty deep everywhere on D but the CBs, but even those aren't as bad as some think.  Particularly Vaughn.  He got his first good experience last year, and played well at times.  He'll probably be better this year with a year's experience...

If Price and Swanson pan out were good there as well IMO,TC and Preseason should let us know where we are

Think about it, all the good news about chapman and montori Hughes, the drafting of Werner, loads of depth at d-line, a great ilb in freeman, as well as some other solid ilb's, two pro bowl caliber safeties, a pro bowl caliber corner in Davis, the addition of toler, and a good 3rd corner in butler... I'm very excited to see this monster in action.

WE have no proven noseguard, the key to stopping the run....

.and none of our linebackers are much more than avergae...

Our front 7 is average at best...and has multiple injury questions

our seconday could be among the AFC's best.

We're better than last year

It really hinges on Chapman and Hughes, if even 1 has a breakout year the whole defense will come together..ILB is a weakness though, they aren't bad, just not great...The d-line , cbs, and safety's will be a stength and the best we've ever had...

Aubryao Franklin is a proven Nose guard. A very dominant run stuffer as well.

The whole story is that Franklin has played on 4 teams....

I have high hopes for him staying healthy but he was hurt last year....and missed games

Noseguards cant be judged by tackles but he had 20 last season.....not a lot

With all due respect to a vet, I suggest he's average and I'll restate:

We have no proven noseguard who is anything more than average when healthy

The whole story is that Franklin has played on 4 teams....

I have high hopes for him staying healthy but he was hurt last year....and missed games

Noseguards cant be judged by tackles but he had 20 last season.....not a lot

With all due respect to a vet, I suggest he's average and I'll restate:

We have no proven noseguard who is anything more than average when healthy

He lead the league in run stops. He's above average.

It really hinges on Chapman and Hughes, if even 1 has a breakout year the whole defense will come together..ILB is a weakness though, they aren't bad, just not great...The d-line , cbs, and safety's will be a stength and the best we've ever had...

Conner is VASTLY underrated.  We should see him filling the gaps and excelling in the true 3/4 with our upgrade at DL.  We need Freeman to come in ready to prove he was not a 1 year warrior (I do not think he will) and Sheppard started 15 games for the Bills.....yeah I know the Bills defense sucked, but it is an 11 man defense...not a 1 man band!!!   :spit: Oh...and Angerer needs to get healthy!

WDCC-GOOFY-ONE-MAN-BAND-I_7745.jpg

I know....kind of Goofy!  

one-man_band_CBR001863.jpg

I'd say aubrayo Franklin is pretty proven, and a good run stopper

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.....This is a reply to Krunk's post...Quote malfunctioned...Sorry!!

I did not nickname this man the 'Sidbury Beast' for nothing!    haha

All film I have seen shows great motor...and Yes he loves that spin move :)  angry%20spin.gif

To hear fans of the Falcons speak.write of him.....Sidbury was playing 'left out' on the team; meaning he was vastly under-used and unappreciated.  Lets get the man in and see what he can do!!!!!  Put on the pads Mr. Sidbury!!!   :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got this encouraging news about Sidbury from Kevin Bowen(writer for the colts) in the chat:

krunk

Kevin I would like to know if you have any news on Lawrence Sidbury. I'm very interested in this guy. Any news would be appreciated!

Kevin Bowen

@krunk Sidbury has caught my eye during OTAs. He has batted down several balls from his OLB position and I think he's put himself in the discussion right behind guys like Mathis/Walden/Werner. Linebackers coach Jeff Fitzgerald mentioned last week how many versatile parts his group has this season and Sidbury is in the middle of that. Special teams might be his most action but he could see spot duty at OLB.

I got this encouraging news about Sidbury from Kevin Bowen(writer for the colts) in the chat:

krunk

Kevin I would like to know if you have any news on Lawrence Sidbury. I'm very interested in this guy. Any news would be appreciated!

Kevin Bowen

@krunk Sidbury has caught my eye during OTAs. He has batted down several balls from his OLB position and I think he's put himself in the discussion right behind guys like Mathis/Walden/Werner. Linebackers coach Jeff Fitzgerald mentioned last week how many versatile parts his group has this season and Sidbury is in the middle of that. Special teams might be his most action but he could see spot duty at OLB.

He mentioned that Mathis/Walden/Werner will be rotated heavily, so maybe Sidbury might have a role but a limited 1.

Holes?     In the Colts defense?     Really?     Seriously?

I'll take "Yes! for $2,000, Alex"

Find me 40 sacks from this defense.     Find me 20-24 interceptions.

They may come.   They may be there.    But they're not apparent now, today. 

Who are the game changers?    Who are the big play makers?    I don't see many today.    I might in 6 months,  but nothing is obvious to me today.

So, for me there are holes on every level (DL, LB and DB) until we prove on the field that there are not.

thats the beauty of Grigs decisions. You don't see them now, but you will in 6 months. ;)

I honestly feel better about this defense than I have in a long time.

thats the beauty of Grigs decisions. You don't see them now, but you will in 6 months. ;)

I honestly feel better about this defense than I have in a long time.

First....    I don't know how long your "long time" is....     so, I can't compare....   I've only been a Colts fan for 1 year.

Second....    I'm a huge Grigson fan, one of the biggest here....   I like what he's done.   I think the 2013 defense will be much improved on the 2012 defense.     But that doesn't mean we don't still have holes.    I think we do.    I suspect in Grigson's heart of hearts,  he'd agree with that.

I guess I'm trying to say, I'm sure we're good,  I'm sure we're better than last year,    I just don't know yet how good we are?

So,  I suspect we still have holes.

Like many have stated. I'm in the I think we have no gaping holes on the d. Can some spots be upgraded? Sure, but what do you expect from a team who doesn't draft at the top for years on end. That's how a bunch of these top tier teams were built. I actually think our d is going to be very good. Much better than it was last year. They had their moments. I expect to be more consistent this year on both sides of the ball.

First....    I don't know how long your "long time" is....     so, I can't compare....   I've only been a Colts fan for 1 year.

Second....    I'm a huge Grigson fan, one of the biggest here....   I like what he's done.   I think the 2013 defense will be much improved on the 2012 defense.     But that doesn't mean we don't still have holes.    I think we do.    I suspect in Grigson's heart of hearts,  he'd agree with that.

I guess I'm trying to say, I'm sure we're good,  I'm sure we're better than last year,    I just don't know yet how good we are?

So,  I suspect we still have holes.

Even in the Manning years, the D was never great.  The SB year is well chronicled as far as how the D stepped up at the right time.  But during the year it was average to ... well, we won't rehash that Jacksonville game.  Obviously, Sanders was a great player for a short time and had a lot to do with the SB.

We really don't know what we have this year yet.  But we do have something we hardly ever had - size.  Is that better than the smaller, fast guys?  We'll see.