Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Must Wayne's Production Decrease?

atapcl

Reggie wants to continue his production so he can become one of the few players at his age to top 1k in yards. Coach Pagano and OC,Pep, have stated a desire to run more to balance out the offense this year. Ballard could be a 1k rusher this year. Hilton had 800 yds in his rookie season and could be ready for a 1k yardage season. Fleener may be ready to contribute more this year. Allen if he improves could be a pro bowl level TE. Can Wayne maintain the 1k level or must he decrease so the other players can increase?

I think that Wayne will work hard to keep himself in shape and to learn another new offense this year. I also think that he will still be Luck's favorite target, so he'll have a chance at 1,000 yards.

Wayne was seeing a  lot of double teams last year and he was still able to get the ball. I think that with the emergence of other guys on offense, (Hilton, DHB, Allen, Fleener, checkdowns to the RB) Wayne might be double teamed less, giving him opportunities to make plays. 

But his play will eventually start to decrease, as does everybody's when father time catches up with them.

Pep & Pagano can say whatever but Andrew os the one with the ball every play and you know he's looking for Reggie. I just hope he doesn't do it as much this year cause last year looking for Reggie so much made Luck force passes that weren't there.

But nonetheless, Reggie will still be a top WR this year

Last year Reggie had over 100 catches for more than 1300 yards.

You focus on him getting 1,000 yards.

So,  he could get 1,000 yards and his production would literally be going down.    It's not necessarily a bad thing if Reggie gets a little less.    And it might be better for the overall offense if he does get a little less.

I think he will get a little less.   But I also think he'll get his 1,000 yards.   Not by a lot.   Barely.   But he'll get it.    :thmup:

Last year Reggie had over 100 catches for more than 1300 yards.

You focus on him getting 1,000 yards.

So,  he could get 1,000 yards and his production would literally be going down.    It's not necessarily a bad thing if Reggie gets a little less.    And it might be better for the overall offense if he does get a little less.

I think he will get a little less.   But I also think he'll get his 1,000 yards.   Not be a lot.   Barely.   But he'll get it.    :thmup:

Actually, I wonder if the scheme change this year might even make it easier for him to get 1000.  Probably harder to get to 1300, but easier to get to 1000.  Maturation of other weapons helps too, but the ball coming out quicker to a single covered receiver means it goes to Reggie a lot.  The things that age takes from Reggie were never really his things anyway.  Reggie doesn't have 1300 yards last year if teams roll coverage earlier in the year.  Packers game is an exception.  He was going over 200 in that game regardless.

I think he will decline physically, or continue to do so. But Wayne has the smarts to recognise it and adjust his game.

I don't think he'll stop being a 1000 yard receiver.

Everyone ages. But if you recognise that you can't burn corners with speed anymore. You and your Co-ordinator adjust and adapt your game to keep getting the best out of you.

Didn't he almost get to 1,000 yards with Painter as his QB? If so, then I see 1,000 yards for Wayne this year with Luck, again.

Yeah he was in the mid 900s just outing Garcon as our leading receiver iirc.

If Reggie HAS to be as productive as last season Indy is in for a "very tough roe to hoe" ...    It means Luck trusts / is confident with  nobody else.      Bad....

A couple of DHB, Hilton, Allen, and Fleener NEED to assert themselves as weapons for Indy to be what they want to be.

Reggie is just not a Calvin J.     He is a GREAT possession WR right now.   But ...    Hilton, DHB or Fleener NEED to get deep and be a problem. 

I just feel Indy will run the ball.   And when it happens the passing game comes SO much easier... 

Reggie wants to continue his production so he can become one of the few players at his age to top 1k in yards. Coach Pagano and OC,Pep, have stated a desire to run more to balance out the offense this year. Ballard could be a 1k rusher this year. Hilton had 800 yds in his rookie season and could be ready for a 1k yardage season. Fleener may be ready to contribute more this year. Allen if he improves could be a pro bowl level TE. Can Wayne maintain the 1k level or must he decrease so the other players can increase?

WE have an elite passing QB, an all-pro receiver on one side, a former No.1 receiver on the other side and two high draft choice tight ends...

Playing indoors and in warm weather locales with two running backs who are not all-pros and behind 5 linemen who are not all-pros,  we are not going to have a power running game...

We are going to throw 30-40 times because that's how we're built...

If we try to establish the run every game before we establish the pass we will not make the playoffs.

Reggie will get his 1,000 yards becayse Luck seems to have faith in him...In nfact Reggie may surpass last season's totals because we may feature more short passes this year..instead of down-the-field tosses...

I think he will decline physically, or continue to do so. But Wayne has the smarts to recognise it and adjust his game.

I don't think he'll stop being a 1000 yard receiver.

Everyone ages. But if you recognise that you can't burn corners with speed anymore. You and your Co-ordinator adjust and adapt your game to keep getting the best out of you.

Not that he won't decline, but Reggie's game is far less about physical ability and far more about talent and doing things properly.  That, IMO, won't change.

I've heard people say that Wayne is over the hill, blah blah blah.  I just laugh and watch him put up season after season of quality production.  There will be a time when he is no longer needed, but I highly doubt it is any time in the next season or two.  His hands don't turn to stone the minute he turns 36.

All I know is it is not a good idea to ask a 34 year old wideout to do too much run blocking (cough Marvin, cough) though I hope Reggie stays healthy amidst of it all (knocks on wood :)).

34 is the key. The answer to the question in the thread , IMO , would be "eventually yes."

I think Reggie still has gas in his tank.

Balancing out our offensive plays with more runs doesn't mean necessarily that wideouts' performance would decline, we were embarrassing by airing the ball so many times (I mean Luck may have a far better cmpl. percentage, so WRs can produce same or even better yardage). Not to mention that Reggie has very reliable hands, what T.Y. doesn't have yet, so I think he would remain Luck's primary target next season and he would be in race for a 1k season again (knock on woods...).

"Continue to do so." ?  When exactly did this decline start....  1300 yds last season, if that is the "decline" I hope he continues it!

I'm not saying his production is declining, I'm just saying that he is probably declining physically. Not hating on him, it's just a part ageing. He probably won't be able to burn corners vertically anymore at 35/36. But he is smart enough to recognise this and adjust his game.

So his production won't decline, because he is smart enough to know how to get the best out of himself.