Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those who wanted Quinton Patton...

Mouthfire

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1637700-10-biggest-surprises-from-nfl-rookie-camps/page/8

Analysts viewed Patton as one of the draft's most NFL-ready receivers with many strengths, including his route running. According to CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, however, Patton ran poor routes in rookie camp and is "nowhere close to being ready."

This comes as a surprising revelation for Patton, whose body control, hands and quickness give him starter potential.

Maybe this is why the Colt's took a pass?  Didn't they have him in for a private workout?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1637700-10-biggest-surprises-from-nfl-rookie-camps/page/8

Maybe this is why the Colt's took a pass?  Didn't they have him in for a private workout?

Maybe. I think it just comes down to them liking Thornton and Holmes more, though.

One thing about Patton is that he seems like he's a very hard worker, seriously dedicated to being successful. Running bad routes at your first pro camp isn't really that big of a deal.

I'm going to buck the trend here by saying that I don't think we drafted BPA very much in this draft.

And....      I'm OK with that.

I think Werner was an early target...  and a priority.

I think RG was a priority for the 3rd round.    We were looking for a RG we thought could start as a rookie.    As much as I like Thornton -- and I really do -- I don't think he was the highest player on our board at the time our choice came around.

Same with Holmes in the 4th.   Protecting Luck was the clear priority.

I think we targeted Hughes with our trade in the 5th.    He may have been BPA at the time.   I suspect he had a higher grade from the Colts than the spot where we took him.    In other words,  I'd bet he had at least a 4th round grade when we took him at the top of the 5th round.

I suspect Boyett was another target.   Pagano/Grigson talked about pulling him aside at the Combine for a meeting that went less than 5 minutes and how impressed they were.   He was the late round safety we were hoping to get.

I suspect Williams was BPA and that we were thrilled he was there with the 230th pick.   Same with Cunningham.   BPA in this case.

So,  I think it was a mix.   And all in all,  I like our draft.    It maybe one of the least sexy drafts I've ever seen,  but I think it's what we needed for 2013.   Next year will be different.   Much different.

I wouldn't have minded getting Patton, but Grigson believes he has addressed the WR position with DHB.

I can definitely see us picking a WR early next year if DHB doesn't work out.

I read before the draft that next year is supposed to be an awesome year for wide recievers. the strongest in years but thats said a year early. it would seem to be perfect timing for a #1 rd WR.

I'm going to buck the trend here by saying that I don't think we drafted BPA very much in this draft.

I think Werner was an early target...  and a priority.

I think RG was a priority for the 3rd round.    We were looking for a RG we thought could start as a rookie.    As much as I like Thornton -- and I really do -- I don't think he was the highest player on our board at the time our choice came around.

Same with Holmes in the 4th.   Protecting Luck was the clear priority.

I think we targeted Hughes with our trade in the 5th.    He may have been BPA at the time.   I suspect he had a higher grade from the Colts than the spot where we took him.    In other words,  I'd bet he had at least a 4th round grade when we took him at the top of the 5th round.

I suspect Boyett was another target.   Pagano/Grigson talked about pulling him aside at the Combine for a meeting that went less than 5 minutes and how impressed they were.   He was the late round safety we were hoping to get.

I suspect Williams was BPA and that we were thrilled he was there with the 230th pick.   Same with Cunningham.   BPA in this case.

So,  I think it was a mix.   And all in all,  I like our draft.    It maybe one of the least sexy drafts I've ever seen,  but I think it's what we needed for 2013.   Next year will be different.   Much different.

I'll agree with this.  This year's draft sure didn't feel like BPA the entire time.

Werner, I think, was BPA.  I don't think anyone thought he'd be available at 24.

Thornton/Holmes... yeah, I agree.  Probably BPA at a targeted position.

Hughes... maybe BPA, maybe not... potentially a 4th round grade on the Colts board, like you mentioned.  But it sure seemed like they had a specific role for him in mind (ie Haloti Ngata).  I'm guessing targeted also. 

Rest of the draft, I'll say BPA.

But yeah... not a sexy draft at all.  But that's not what the Colts needed this year.

Next year, they'll bring sexy back.  :D

I'm going to second that notion.  And I don't think BPA or even BPA-at-a-position-of-need are the correct strategy.  I think that GMs try to orgainize their drafts to best fill their various needs.  For example, if a big team need is CB, but the GM identifies that it's a deep CB class with multiple players that fill the need likely to be available in the 3rd, he may pencil in CB in the 3rd and fill lesser needs in rounds 1 and 2.  I think most GMs have a feel for how their drafts will play out (what positions in what rounds) before the draft begins.  Of course, they are flexible and pounce on any surprises that may fall to them, but BPA only exists as a strategy to a limited extent.  I have no intimate knowledge of war rooms, but this is my take on how it usually happens.  Probably worth what you paid for it...

I'll agree with this.  This year's draft sure didn't feel like BPA the entire time.

Werner, I think, was BPA.  I don't think anyone thought he'd be available at 24.

Thornton/Holmes... yeah, I agree.  Probably BPA at a targeted position.

Hughes... maybe BPA, maybe not... potentially a 4th round grade on the Colts board, like you mentioned.  But it sure seemed like they had a specific role for him in mind (ie Haloti Ngata).  I'm guessing targeted also. 

Rest of the draft, I'll say BPA.

But yeah... not a sexy draft at all.  But that's not what the Colts needed this year.

Next year, they'll bring sexy back.  :D

I'm still not convinced that BPA is the best way to draft.

There's no point having two elite players at one position and having a bum at another. I'd rather draft according to team need. I too think we did that this year.

Maybe. I think it just comes down to them liking Thornton and Holmes more, though.

One thing about Patton is that he seems like he's a very hard worker, seriously dedicated to being successful. Running bad routes at your first pro camp isn't really that big of a deal.

Maybe.  I haven't followed Patton that closely.  I just found it interesting that the Colts had a really good look at him, didn't draft him, and then this comes out.  Makes you wonder if they saw something they didn't like. 

Then again, I really haven't follow him that closely.

I'm still not convinced that BPA is the best way to draft.

There's no point having two elite players at one position and having a bum at another. I'd rather draft according to team need. I too think we did that this year.

That's an overly extreme interpretation of BPA. I think quarterback, tight end and safety were clearly crossed off the list going into this year's draft, specifically within the first five rounds or so. Probably offensive tackle as well. We weren't going to draft Elam or Cyprien or EJ Manuel or Zach Ertz, etc., in the first round. I don't think Grigson was particularly excited about drafting a receiver very high, though I think he might have traded back and taken Woods if all of his favorite targets were gone at #24.

To me, what BPA means is that you figure out what rankings you think the players on your board ought to have. When you're picking, you don't pass up a better rated player unless you feel like you're set at that particular position for the time being. And you'll probably have players ranked very similarly at different junctures, and then your decision comes down to which player you think will be best able to improve your team right away. So you don't draft a fifth receiver instead of a guard who can compete for a starting job right now, not if the two players are similarly rated.

The whole point of a BPA approach is so that you avoid what Grigson described after last year's draft. He basically said that when you start reaching for need rather than taking the better player, you lose out on guys that can improve your team right now, potential future starters, and you take guys that aren't quite as good and who don't wind up panning out. Then you still have the same need you had before, plus you missed out on a guy who could have played a role for you already. That leads to overpaying for free agents -- yours and others (James Laurinitis instead of Donald Brown allows us to avoid overpaying for Gary Brackett). When you have a team with multiple holes and roster deficiencies, drafting the BPA is best way to increase your overall talent level, giving you more options moving forward.

Maybe.  I haven't followed Patton that closely.  I just found it interesting that the Colts had a really good look at him, didn't draft him, and then this comes out.  Makes you wonder if they saw something they didn't like. 

Then again, I really haven't follow him that closely.

How important was receiver to the front office and coaching staff? I think if someone they loved would have fell to them, or if everyone they loved in the first round was gone, they might have traded back for a receiver like Woods, but I don't think it was that high on their list of priorities in this year's draft. It's probably our deepest position.

I would think that the team worked him out, and didn't necessarily fall in love with him. Maybe they had concerns about his route running after the workout, but Patton was widely regarded as one of the best route runners in the draft, so this whole story seems curious to me. But I think they would have had to absolutely be enamored with him to take him above guys like Thornton and Holmes who are competing for starting spots right away.

And despite all the talk about how unsexy this draft was at receiver, there were still a lot of nice prospects in later rounds, so no need to forgo a potential starter for someone who would be fighting for the #4 receiver spot this year, especially if you really like the guys at the positions of greater need (which we obviously did).

Overall, I think Patton falling to the 4th round was kind of a shocker anyways. Maybe everyone had concerns about his route running.

I believe Charley Casserly had stated he rated Thornton as a 2nd round pick which means we got a bargain if Charley is right. I cant remember where it was said but I believe Holmes was rated late first to early second if he had come out his junior year. Holmes' injury and skewed performance may have dropped him below where he should have been drafted. It was stated that Montori Hughes had first round talent but dropped because of his off the field troubles and transfer to a lower level of competition.

I didn't think we were gonna draft a WR at all in the draft even if Keenan Allen or Patton fell to us. We have a plethora of WR's in Wayne,Hilton,DHB,Brazil,and Kelley. We needed to get bigger and stronger on both sides of the ball and we did that withThornton,Holmes, and Hughes.

I believe Charley Casserly had stated he rated Thornton as a 2nd round pick which means we got a bargain if Charley is right. I cant remember where it was said but I believe Holmes was rated late first to early second if he had come out his junior year. Holmes' injury and skewed performance may have dropped him below where he should have been drafted. It was stated that Montori Hughes had first round talent but dropped because of his off the field troubles and transfer to a lower level of competition.

I think Casserly rating Thornton as a 2nd round prospect  is why he is working at the NFL Network and not as a GM right now, Thats not to say I did not like the Thornton pick, I certainly did very much as a matter of fact but the higher the round the higher the expectations........I think 3rd round was right for Thornton, he still has to be more consistent with his technique, He overextends some and stops moving his feet nor is he an elite athlete or extremely strong, He is middle of the pack in those categories I think, he is strong but not elite in that category by any means but he knows how to use his strength that he has and can get to the 2nd level well but I dont think he is an automatic plug and player from the start under most circumstances but this isn't most circumstances, Long story short I dont expect him to come ina nd wow anyone and I expect he will give up his share of bad plays at least in the beginning, I think he will be better then anything we have at Guard currently not named Thomas but considering we are looking at Icelands strongest man who if I understand correctly has no experience with football that tells you it wont be hard to be better that the crop or crap of Guards we had last year, most of which we still have