Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hold up....Donald Brown

mjsimans

Despite a common dislike for this guy on this forum....I'm not ready to give up on DB.

Yes injuries have been a problem (like many RBs in the NFL), but when this guy is healthy he is a pretty dynamic RB. Two years ago, he was pretty much the only high point of the season, and last year he was showing some improvement (even behind a lackluster o-line) before getting hurt. With an improved o-line, I can see Donald breaking a couple huge runs for us this year. His ability to get to the edge is something our other running backs do not have (Williams TBD). And watch some of his highlights, if this guy gets into open space he does NOT get caught from behind.

I will say this is certainly his last chance, but I (personally) would not be surprised if Donald makes a pretty significant contribution this year providing us with some long, game-breaking runs behind a much improved o-line.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite a common dislike for this guy on this forum....I'm not ready to give up on DB.

Yes injuries have been a problem (like many RBs in the NFL), but when this guy is healthy he is a pretty dynamic RB. Two years ago, he was pretty much the only high point of the season, and last year he was showing some improvement (even behind a lackluster o-line) before getting hurt. With an improved o-line, I can see Donald breaking a couple huge runs for us this year. His ability to get to the edge is something our other running backs do not have (Williams TBD). And watch some of his highlights, if this guy gets into open space he does NOT get caught from behind.

I will say this is certainly his last chance, but I (personally) would not be surprised if Donald makes a pretty significant contribution this year providing us with some long, game-breaking runs behind a much improved o-line.

This is where his true opportunity lies.  If he can bring some of the homerun potential he flashed a couple years ago he'll put his career back on track.

I'm not saying your wrong....but why do you think this? In what areas is Vick Ballard better than DB?

Vision, patience, physicality, elusiveness, stronger, harder to bring down, doesn't dance around in the backfield, ect...

Vision, patience, physicality, more elusive, stronger, harder to bring down, doesn't dance around in the backfield, ect...

I will give you a lot of those. Which is why I think Vick was a better option for us last year behind that rather poor o-line, because he HAD to make immediate decisions and hit holes harder. Yes, this was nice to see, but pretty much eliminated the potential to break a long one. However, behind an improved o-line (hopefully) the holes will be larger and extend to the LBers, allowing for Donald to showcase his skill set and ability to get to the outside regardless of "vision".

Next year we add the stud running back and receiver to the stable for the new triplets...We have to make due this year and we will be fine..Finally done with this in the trenches crap as long as griswald made the right picks which is to be determined...

To me, Donald's best role is the spell role/change of pace back.  He doesn't have Chris Johnson speed, and he sure doesn't scare defenders.  Ballard is a gutty runner who primarily moves north.  A grinder.  Brown is purely about avoiding contact and getting through holes.

While he could succeed with better blocking, I suspect Ballard is still our best option.  Give Donald a few reps, but stick with Ballard primarily.  Long story short, if a RB is only good when there are holes, he isn't as good as the guy that can do more behind the same pathetic run blocking.  Also, we need a reliable starter.  Brown has not proven to be that in the least.

Too many of these posts on the board.....if you don't like a topic don't read and/or comment....

Trust me....we are all reallllly impressed by all your input.....

Calm down. It's all in good fun, but seriously I think we have a DB vs. Ballard thread every week.  

To me, Donald's best role is the spell role/change of pace back.  He doesn't have Chris Johnson speed, and he sure doesn't scare defenders.  Ballard is a gutty runner who primarily moves north.  A grinder.  Brown is purely about avoiding contact and getting through holes.

While he could succeed with better blocking, I suspect Ballard is still our best option.  Give Donald a few reps, but stick with Ballard primarily.  Long story short, if a RB is only good when there are holes, he isn't as good as the guy that can do more behind the same pathetic run blocking.  Also, we need a reliable starter.  Brown has not proven to be that in the least.

Fair enough....make a lot of good points....DB definitely does not have CJ acceleration, but he is pretty close in terms of break away speed.

But thats what I'm saying. Look at CJ for example...everyone considers him a great rb right? Well he is the type of RB that needs good blocking. When that is not there, he is awful. Like 20 yards a game awful (those who have had him in fantasy know what i'm saying). He needs to get going. Thats what type of running back I think DB is (watered down a little bit of course)

Vick Ballard is going to be more consistent behind any type of line and block IMO, but does not give you that homerun potential.

lol what? no not even close to being true....he will be cut by the end of the season he's good for short yardage gain and that's it

Fair enough....make a lot of good points....DB definitely does not have CJ acceleration, but he is pretty close in terms of break away speed.

But thats what I'm saying. Look at CJ for example...everyone considers him a great rb right? Well he is the type of RB that needs good blocking. When that is not there, he is awful. Like 20 yards a game awful (those who have had him in fantasy know what i'm saying). He needs to get going. Thats what type of running back I think DB is (watered down a little bit of course)

Vick Ballard is going to be more consistent behind any type of line and block IMO, but does not give you that homerun potential.

Brown is not close to CJ speed.  Brown is 4.5, CJ is 4.24.  In the world of the NFL, 4.5 is par for the course.  4.2x is in the top 5%.

In other words, Ballard is closer to Brown than Brown is to CJ, so that is not at all a good comparison.

Honestly, our RB corps are below average, at best. Ballard gets what is blocked for him, darnit Don is always hurt, Williams is TBD. 

Can't tell the people on this site that I've tried...You'd think we have Emmitt Smith and Marshall Faulk the way these people on here talk...Ballard is good, but I'd prefer he be a #2 back and I'm hopeful we get our thoroughbred next year cause we do need 1...We got the "In the trenches" guys by reaching in the 3rd and 4th and passing up superior talent so i hope everyone on here is happy...I as a Colts fan hope they turn out to be studs but it's far from guaranteed and "Rookie" o-linemen usually struggle..

Donald Brown would have been traded if we had takers much like Hughes was, but nobody wants him he is garbage, has no vision and we will probably just cut him rather than looking at him on the pup list half the year again..

Ballard is the better Back, Brown is a darter not much in the form of an elusive runner nor is he able to react quickly very often,He is easily brought down (Ballard has shown easy to be brought down a couple times). Brown has the speed to get to the corner that Ballard does not have consistently, Both have enough power to run between the tackles but the difference is Ballard shows the elusiveness and agility to find a hole quicker while with Brown it has been alot of receive the hand off dart where the play is supposed to go no matter if thats where the hole is or not

Donald is gone after this year, along with Carter.

I think we are kidding ourselves if either guy is here next year.

I agree, But I think Carter has a much more serious chance of not making to game 1 of the regular season on the roster do to his apparent inability to remember how to run with the ball in his hands 

I agree, But I think Carter has a much more serious chance of not making to game 1 of the regular season on the roster do to his apparent inability to remember how to run with the ball in his hands 

Especially with the drafting of Kerwynn. 

Carter is a "old regime" guy and we basically have a better proven version of him in Ballard. Carter will be gone first, followed by Brown.

Can't tell the people on this site that I've tried...You'd think we have Emmitt Smith and Marshall Faulk the way these people on here talk...Ballard is good, but I'd prefer he be a #2 back and I'm hopeful we get our thoroughbred next year cause we do need 1...We got the "In the trenches" guys by reaching in the 3rd and 4th and passing up superior talent so i hope everyone on here is happy...I as a Colts fan hope they turn out to be studs but it's far from guaranteed and "Rookie" o-linemen usually struggle..

Most rookies struggle.    Not just o-lineman. 

I'm not saying your wrong....but why do you think this? In what areas is Vick Ballard better than DB?

Ballard has a higher motor IMO. For example, the Miami game he clinched the victory with a nice second-effort run.

He was consistently productive as a rookie behind a suspect o-line. I feel like the team has made significant gains in the line in the offseason, so he will continue to grow. DB just hasn't shown that sort of consistency over 4 years.

Donald is quite a good back...BUT he cannot stay healthy. 

With guys that keep getting injured year after year and multiple times per year, you have to ask the question "Is this player Roids Brittle?"...if so, then it is over...like for Anthony Gonzalez.

Especially with the drafting of Kerwynn. 

Carter is a "old regime" guy and we basically have a better proven version of him in Ballard. Carter will be gone first, followed by Brown.

Im still not 100 percent sure Brown will be gone, If he rips off a big year behind this O Line and stays healthy doing it he may stick around a couple years......But chances are this is his last year, One of our other running backs we picked up during this offseason would have to put him out of a job first I believe, Cant just release him and not have an idea who will replace him as the change of pace Back....Although I really like Denodus O'Bryants chances but thats all before I see him in TC

what does VB do better than DB?  Play running back is paramount on my list.

ill reference the 100 yard game vs Texans while losing snaps to Mewelde who fumbled on the goal line costing us the game (arguably)

and as exibit 2... the barrel roll TD.

i think VB is better than "gets whats blocked for him." he is a ground and pound runner. I think it was Arians that said Ballard is a poor mans Edge. and i agree. He runs HARD every play.

while he wont pull away if he gets loose... he doesnt need to get loose to have an impact.

Eclipsing 100 yards doesnt open eyes much but there is usually long runs mixed in... when every yard is smash-mouth football it is no easy task. VB is an animal. I love him as our back for the season. I love him as our back of the future. Spell him with a home run hitter like the Sproles role, but i like the Marshawn Lynch, bring your lunch pail and do work type backs.

I think we got that guy in VB thanks to his falling at the combine (still gained like 8 yards as he fell btw... haha) and becoming a joke. That allowed him to fall (pun) to us with a chip on his shoulder.

800+ yards wen not starter till week 6/7 with last years line... give him his credit.

Im still not 100 percent sure Brown will be gone, If he rips off a big year behind this O Line and stays healthy doing it he may stick around a couple years......But chances are this is his last year, One of our other running backs we picked up during this offseason would have to put him out of a job first I believe, Cant just release him and not have an idea who will replace him as the change of pace Back....Although I really like Denodus O'Bryants chances but thats all before I see him in TC

Yes I agree with you.

If Brown can prove that he can really contribute in this offense, I can see him sticking.

I figure Carter will be a preseason cut, and Brown will walk after the season. Kerwynn will be the change of pace back next year, along with a draftee/FA signing become the 3rd RB.

I dont like brown because he seems to get the ball and stand there until he sees a huge hole instead of fighting hard and finding holes like ballard and other running backs. I think joey addai started to do the same thing his second year when he got hit hard in one of the games.

If you would allow me, I would rather make my list in areas In which ways is Vick Ballard not better then Donald Brown.

1. Not wasting a roster spot.