Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Defines Class In The NFL: (Blue Crew) (merge)

Restored

You are kidding me right? Irsay treated Peyton with the utmost respect. It took the most EXTREME circumstances for Peyton to be released. I would of bet the house that had the Colts gotten the third pick or higher, Peyton would still be a Colt. Irsay really had no choice. If you want to blame someone, blame Bill Polian for not having the right insurance policy for Peyton in place.

You make no valid points to show how Irsay hasn't done the best he can do for this fan base and city. He is vastly different from the tyrant ways of his father. Would you rather have Jerry Jones running this team? Ill let that one set in.

Don't mind Mr. Blue, people always have something to say... and think they're perfect... sheeeeeeeeesh

good post, tell him!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause he knows as long as he has the fans, the city won't let him go, and he can keep robbing them. There'd be a riot and possibly a city council overthrow if he were to leave. Indy knows this and just keep paying him haha

So now he has to keep up with the lease and pay the loan to Irsay...bad move, especially if he isn't profitable. Reminds me of the GM government bailout, or the banks bailout. Sometimes it's just best to let them go.

Anyone who pays any attention to EVERYTHING Irsay does and tries to say he is anything less than class either has a grudge with Irsay or just doesn't like the Colts.  Everytime you turn around he's name is in the news doing something for someone.  This man learned from the mistakes of his father.  It's not just PR stunts either.  People don't part with as much money as he has as often as he does just for the good PR.  Those are also just the stories we hear about.  Phil B. has said he hears stories all the time of Irsay doing something for someone and wants to write about it and Irsay tells him not too because that's not why he's doing it. 

For people who want to scream look at what he did to Peyton Manning.  Honestly take your emotions out of it and step back and look at how it went down.  Tell me the last time you saw a team releasing a player who was going to go play for another team and try to beat them and give that player his own press conference on the way out.  He handled Peyton leaving about as well as you could have asked for.  He did nothing but show Peyton Manning respect on the way out from the long plane ride trying to find some way Peyton could stay that deep down both men knew didn't exist, giving him the presser, or the thank you banner on the outside of the stadium and telling the world no one would wear his 18 jersey for the Colts again.  What more could you have wanted Irsay to do other than keep him? 

That's what it boils down to some people still don't like that we released Peyton so since they don't like that they try to bash Irsay for it.  Sorry, there is a reason why everyone who didn't have emotions attached to it said leading up to it that this was a no brainer.  The Colts were cutting a 37 year old player coming off major neck surgery for a rookie that EVERYONE was saying can't miss.  We see football teams do that ALL the time and not blink an eye.  It was the emotional attachment to Peyton Manning that made it hard.  Once you could get past that it was not only clearly the right thing to do for the FRANCHISE it was the easy thing to do. 

Not really in my opinion, He did not ask to fall into that money, Its great that he does alot of the things he does with the community and such but just because he is loaded with money dont mean he is obligated to be payin others debts, Its great that he does though of course but obligayed? Hardly, He did it because thats the kind of person he is, not from some sense of obligation

Well he did fight for something that was, at the time, owned by his stepmother. So in a way he did ask for it. I'm also not talking about Irsay alone I mean all the other gajillionaires that will never come close to spending their fortune. But Irsay is one of the few that does it, and I am glad he does.

Also those saying Peyton would be a Colt if he wanted to be one you're all lying to yourselves.

Irsay has admitted he knew BEFORE the Jacksonville game he was cutting our stars. This isn't what this topic is about though. So it doesn't need to go there, and it never should have.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the players still collect their salary while they are on IR.  It wouldn't have made a difference in terms of Peyton's play.  My understanding was they kept him active on the chance that maybe his neck heals and he can play sometime that season.  

I think it also allowed Manning to be on the sidelines for the games.  If he was on IR I don't think that is allowed. 

He made 26.4M that year & would have made 7.4 if placed of IR.

Me personally - I do not believe Peyton would have ever been put out there behind 2 rookie Tackles. Especially coming off of surgery.

I believe the timing of Peytons surgery was the very 1st domino to fall that ended with us getting A Luck.

Just my opinion - I really dont care enough about it to discuss - it worked out well for everyone involved except for the guys that created the situation to begin with.   

He no longer has a waiting list for season tickets. 

Good news for you!     I don't know how long it's been there,  but right on the front of the website,  toward the upper right corner where it says "Pro Shop"....    right below that it says....   "Season Ticket Waiting List"

I'm providing the link:     Hurry and get your name on it!!

http://www.colts.com/tickets-and-stadium/season-ticket-waiting-list.html?icampaign=tix_ind_spotlight_waitlist

I am a lifetime Colts fan from back in the Baltimore days in the mid fifties but the only class Jim Irsay represents in my mind is third class. The way he treated Peyton Manning only enforced that image in my mind. It is catching up with him. He no longer has a waiting list for season tickets. I will agree with you that he was smart enough to get out of the football business and let experts run the team....

Not this again... I can't believe people are still butthurt over this. If anything Peyton was given the up most respect, and a lot of other players have been treated far worse. I admire Irsay for allowing Manning to leave on his own terms. Not just shipping him off to (insert team here) team any number of picks.

This was a classy move by the man to help out.

Anyone who pays any attention to EVERYTHING Irsay does and tries to say he is anything less than class either has a grudge with Irsay or just doesn't like the Colts.  Everytime you turn around he's name is in the news doing something for someone.  This man learned from the mistakes of his father.  It's not just PR stunts either.  People don't part with as much money as he has as often as he does just for the good PR.  Those are also just the stories we hear about.  Phil B. has said he hears stories all the time of Irsay doing something for someone and wants to write about it and Irsay tells him not too because that's not why he's doing it. 

For people who want to scream look at what he did to Peyton Manning.  Honestly take your emotions out of it and step back and look at how it went down.  Tell me the last time you saw a team releasing a player who was going to go play for another team and try to beat them and give that player his own press conference on the way out.  He handled Peyton leaving about as well as you could have asked for.  He did nothing but show Peyton Manning respect on the way out from the long plane ride trying to find some way Peyton could stay that deep down both men knew didn't exist, giving him the presser, or the thank you banner on the outside of the stadium and telling the world no one would wear his 18 jersey for the Colts again.  What more could you have wanted Irsay to do other than keep him? 

That's what it boils down to some people still don't like that we released Peyton so since they don't like that they try to bash Irsay for it.  Sorry, there is a reason why everyone who didn't have emotions attached to it said leading up to it that this was a no brainer.  The Colts were cutting a 37 year old player coming off major neck surgery for a rookie that EVERYONE was saying can't miss.  We see football teams do that ALL the time and not blink an eye.  It was the emotional attachment to Peyton Manning that made it hard.  Once you could get past that it was not only clearly the right thing to do for the FRANCHISE it was the easy thing to do. 

Brilliant post. And I wont insult you by just giving it a little ordinately like!

Actually, I have enjoyed some of the posts by Old Crow as of late. People can change.

Thanks. I read the article, and he's actually doing a decent thing for the restaurant. It's hard for me to fully embrace the Irsays, as I'm sure it's tough for Clevelanders to embrace the Modells. However, he's certainly not the old man, and he does seem to do nice things for Indy fans. He's definately an eccentric guy, but unlike his dad, he seems to care about his fans. Bob Irsay didn't do anything for Baltimore or Indianapolis fans. He'll go down in history as one of the worst sports owners in the history of all major sports. Jim Irsay has a very good record as an owner since 1998. He and Polian did a good job together, despite the legions of anti-Polian people on the forum. If you give Jim Irsay credit for those years, you also have to credit Polian. Manning obviously, was a huge part of the success.

Until I came on the forum, I really didn't know much about Jim Irsay. To me, he was a kid about my age who was the owner's son, when the Colts were in Baltimore. I still think he could do something to share the Colts history in Baltimore better, but the guy has certainly made strides. I don't see the hatred of Jim Irsay in Baltimore,  as  Bob Irsay's memory is still seen. The difference in tone , vis a vis the Colts, between the 2006 playoff game in Baltimore, and the 2012 game, was very noticeable. Most younger Raven's fans are more concerned about the rivalry with the Steelers, than the old Colt's days.

As far as class, he seems to really enjoy owning the team, and definately interacts well with the fans, and does some good deeds. As I've stated previously, the Irsay family legacy is still one Super Bowl in 40 years, but that's another thread about whether they are one of the great ownership family's in NFL history.

Thanks. I read the article, and he's actually doing a decent thing for the restaurant. It's hard for me to fully embrace the Irsays, as I'm sure it's tough for Clevelanders to embrace the Modells. However, he's certainly not the old man, and he does seem to do nice things for Indy fans. He's definately an eccentric guy, but unlike his dad, he seems to care about his fans. Bob Irsay didn't do anything for Baltimore or Indianapolis fans. He'll go down in history as one of the worst sports owners in the history of all major sports. Jim Irsay has a very good record as an owner since 1998. He and Polian did a good job together, despite the legions of anti-Polian people on the forum. If you give Jim Irsay credit for those years, you also have to credit Polian. Manning obviously, was a huge part of the success.

Until I came on the forum, I really didn't know much about Jim Irsay. To me, he was a kid about my age who was the owner's son, when the Colts were in Baltimore. I still think he could do something to share the Colts history in Baltimore better, but the guy has certainly made strides. I don't see the hatred of Jim Irsay in Baltimore,  as  Bob Irsay's memory is still seen. The difference in tone , vis a vis the Colts, between the 2006 playoff game in Baltimore, and the 2012 game, was very noticeable. Most younger Raven's fans are more concerned about the rivalry with the Steelers, than the old Colt's days.

As far as class, he seems to really enjoy owning the team, and definately interacts well with the fans, and does some good deeds. As I've stated previously, the Irsay family legacy is still one Super Bowl in 40 years, but that's another thread about whether they are one of the great ownership family's in NFL history.

Well, I do see a change in your posts, and it will go along way towards your integration as the member of this forum. But I have to say what I see, because that is just me.

You have come around (at least in the small section of your opinion that I have seen here on this board) regarding Jim Irsay. However, even in your complimenting of him, you use that stage to once again throw daggers at his father. That is your opinion, and your right, but I have to call what I see. To say that Bob Irsay did nothing for Indianapolis is so far off base, it really cannot be discussed. Well just say that if not for Bob Irsay, there would be no Indianapolis Colts. This is exactly that same appreciation you started with Art. He brought an NFL franchise to you. Let me clarify at this time that I do not live in Indiana and have only visited there once.

Also to state that he will go down in history as one of the worst owners in the history of sports may be your opinion, but it does not appear to me that you have a grasp of that entire list of considered "failed" owners. However, I am quite sure that is likely the sentiment in Baltimore proper.

In all, I have discussed this subject far too much in my life, and I don't really care to banty this at length... as I am quite sure you and I will never change our opinions on the subject, but I can say that I respect your learning to appreciate the stature of Jim Irsay. However, using the opportunity provided when posting compliments about him as a vehicle to condemn his father, will most assuredly cause friction on this board. This is my opinion, and I am posting it as a fan, not as a moderator.

that's not entirely true. when bob moved to indy he made a conscience decision to become a nice caring man. he was still a bad owner, but you can't find a single example of him doing anything since he moved to indy. i can at least respect him for how he actually changed. that's not an easy thing to do

Irsay is definitely a better owner than his dad.

Irsay has successful owned the franchise for many years and it should continue to be one of the classiest organizations in the league.

People may get mad because certain players got cut, but Irsay knows how much they mean to the team. He is definitely a family man and very personable, unlike most rich people I know.

Irsay is definitely a better owner than his dad.

Irsay has successful owned the franchise for many years and it should continue to be one of the classiest organizations in the league.

People may get mad because certain players got cut, but Irsay knows how much they mean to the team. He is definitely a family man and very personable, unlike most rich people I know.

i think a lot of peoples' hatred is born from jealousy more than anything else

Well, I do see a change in your posts, and it will go along way towards your integration as the member of this forum. But I have to say what I see, because that is just me.

You have come around (at least in the small section of your opinion that I have seen here on this board) regarding Jim Irsay. However, even in your complimenting of him, you use that stage to once again throw daggers at his father. That is your opinion, and your right, but I have to call what I see. To say that Bob Irsay did nothing for Indianapolis is so far off base, it really cannot be discussed. Well just say that if not for Bob Irsay, there would be no Indianapolis Colts. This is exactly that same appreciation you started with Art. He brought an NFL franchise to you. Let me clarify at this time that I do not live in Indiana and have only visited there once.

Also to state that he will go down in history as one of the worst owners in the history of sports may be your opinion, but it does not appear to me that you have a grasp of that entire list of considered "failed" owners. However, I am quite sure that is likely the sentiment in Baltimore proper.

In all, I have discussed this subject far too much in my life, and I don't really care to banty this at length... as I am quite sure you and I will never change our opinions on the subject, but I can say that I respect your learning to appreciate the stature of Jim Irsay. However, using the opportunity provided when posting compliments about him as a vehicle to condemn his father, will most assuredly cause friction on this board. This is my opinion, and I am posting it as a fan, not as a moderator.

I will grant you Bob Irsay brought the Colts to Indy, which I kind of left out because it was self-evident. Obviously, that was a good deal for the fans of Indianapolis. That being said, except for a few years in Indy where he won, it was very much like the Baltimore years 1978-1983. Trust me, the guy was a horrible owner, and I'm not just nailing him because of the move. You had the Elway fiasco, the Art Schlichter debacle, and a host of other things. Just to show you I'm fair, I consider Orioles owner Peter Angelos one of the worst owners of all time also, and I'm a huge Oriole's fan.

The Orioles ha

that's not entirely true. when bob moved to indy he made a conscience decision to become a nice caring man. he was still a bad owner, but you can't find a single example of him doing anything since he moved to indy. i can at least respect him for how he actually changed. that's not an easy thing to do

My point was mainly that Bob Irsay wasn't a good owner, and did very little to put out a winning team, except for 1975, 76, 77 in Baltimore, and 1995 in Indy. The Bob Irsay I saw in Baltimore, was not a nice, caring man. His own mother was quoted as calling him, " he's the devil on earth, that one." I'm not sure why she said it, but you can look it up in Sports Illustrated. He set a horrible example for his son, and even Jim admits embarrassment for many of his father's frequent faux pas.

In 1985, Irsay left his wife Harriet, who was visiting with their mentally handicapped son Tom in Florida, and neither phoned her, or left her an explanation about why he was leaving. She learned from the maid that he had moved out of their home.

This was a direct quote from a friend of Irsay's from Chicago in the same Sports Illustrated article. He knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing." These three stories alone are post-Baltimore, and had nothing to do with bitterness about the Colts leaving. Hearing these stories that happened when he was in Indy, indicates to me he didn't change too much.

i'm a person who disliked the irsays when they came here but looking back on it now i can see how bobby changed when he moved here. he was from chicago & i think he came to love the midwest's hoosier hospitality after all those years in baltimore. it was those changes in bobby's later life that led to jimmy's eventual success

i'm a person who disliked the irsays when they came here but looking back on it now i can see how bobby changed when he moved here. he was from chicago & i think he came to love the midwest's hoosier hospitality after all those years in baltimore. it was those changes in bobby's later life that led to jimmy's eventual success

Shakedown, I just don't think the guy changed too much in Indy. The quotes I gave you were from family members, and a friend. There is no doubt that Hudnut and Indianapolis were nicer to Irsay than Baltimore ever was. Irsay was a mid-westerner from Chicago, and Baltimore is always cautious about an owner from outside Baltimore. Much of this also had to do with the paranoia of the time, when Edward Bennett Williams , a Washington lawyer, owned the Orioles, and there was speculation he would move the Orioles to DC. With Irsay flying to Indy, Jacksonsville, Phoenix, and Charlotte, and shopping the team around , it was a combustible mix.

I think near the end, when he started handing over the reigns to Jim, like any alcoholic, he was tired and didn't have the energy to interfere, like he did when he was younger. Picking inexperienced Jim as GM was a bad move, similar to Polian bringing in his son Chris. That being said, Jim has become a good owner, and 10,000 times better than the father. 

Shakedown, I just don't think the guy changed too much in Indy. The quotes I gave you were from family members, and a friend. There is no doubt that Hudnut and Indianapolis were nicer to Irsay than Baltimore ever was. Irsay was a mid-westerner from Chicago, and Baltimore is always cautious about an owner from outside Baltimore. Much of this also had to do with the paranoia of the time, when Edward Bennett Williams , a Washington lawyer, owned the Orioles, and there was speculation he would move the Orioles to DC. With Irsay flying to Indy, Jacksonsville, Phoenix, and Charlotte, and shopping the team around , it was a combustible mix.

I think near the end, when he started handing over the reigns to Jim, like any alcoholic, he was tired and didn't have the energy to interfere, like he did when he was younger. Picking inexperienced Jim as GM was a bad move, similar to Polian bringing in his son Chris. That being said, Jim has become a good owner, and 10,000 times better than the father.

Regardless... Why the need to hijack a thread about Jim to take a dump on his dead dad? Seems to me like issues better discussed with your therapist.

To the OP, I am glad people are starting to come around. There were precious few of us backing Jim up a year ago, and I for one would feel like he is ballsy and awesome, even if things hadn't turned out so well.

C'mon, nobody is hijacking the thread. The Irsays are the owners of the Colts. In all fairness, Jim has done a nice job. I was responding to comments that Bob Irsay had an Ebeneezer Scrooge like epiphany in Indianapolis, that's all. Basically, he met friendly mid-west hospitality over boorish Baltimore, and suddenly changed. That was my point.

Cue John Taffert and the bar rescue crew....get the mixologist, and the branding experts and etc etc.... LOL I hope the Blue Crew survives, but when you hang your entire precept of existence on one entity (The Colts) its hard to sustain.....6 days a week not much action, and the off season, nada.........you cant sustain on 16 + days of the year revenue.......good Luck Randy........

C'mon, nobody is hijacking the thread. The Irsays are the owners of the Colts. In all fairness, Jim has done a nice job. I was responding to comments that Bob Irsay had an Ebeneezer Scrooge like epiphany in Indianapolis, that's all. Basically, he met friendly mid-west hospitality over boorish Baltimore, and suddenly changed. That was my point.

The only reason anyone else has anything to say about Bob is because you brought him up. He's dead. People were contentedly discussing Jim and his generous actions. Bob had nothing to do with the actions, or with the difficult and courageous moves Jim made last year.

I'm glad to hear your view of Jim has softened, but you chose to interject, yet again, with you feelings about Bob. Time to let it go.

Cue John Taffert and the bar rescue crew....get the mixologist, and the branding experts and etc etc.... LOL I hope the Blue Crew survives, but when you hang your entire precept of existence on one entity (The Colts) its hard to sustain.....6 days a week not much action, and the off season, nada.........you cant sustain on 16 + days of the year revenue.......good Luck Randy........

It doesn't help that there's now another Colts themed bar in town, either. Despite some of the hokey games and poor service, the new bar is bigger, and closer to the action downtown. I would speculate it takes a good amount of business from Randy, even though they aren't remotely close to each other.

Schwamm, that is a very good point. I have been to both .....selfishly I like the Blue Crew on weeks the team is playing an away game or whatever its closer to my home.......so its a convenience not a destination, the food and the service really dropped over the last year or so.....like I said he needs something besides the Colts playing to be a reason to go there......something to draw the ladies.....cause if the ladies are there the men will follow.

It's nice to see Irsay doing this. However, I don't think this neccessarily shows he has great class (I'm not saying he doesn't have any). You have to remember that amount of money is litterally change to him, and he's being rewarded by receiving good publicity (which he fully knows as a smart business man).

The only reason anyone else has anything to say about Bob is because you brought him up. He's dead. People were contentedly discussing Jim and his generous actions. Bob had nothing to do with the actions, or with the difficult and courageous moves Jim made last year.

I'm glad to hear your view of Jim has softened, but you chose to interject, yet again, with you feelings about Bob. Time to let it go.

Actually, TKnight brought up Bob Irsay on this thread before I did. Shakedown said he was a changed man, and all I'm saying is I disagree with that assessment. We're talking NFL history here, and debating various topics. Do you want all the same opinion all the time ? Should some Indy fans " Let go," their ill feelings to Polian because another forum member is offended ?

When I first came on this forum, I was a bit over the top. But alot of the Indy fans have made some good points, and I'm trying to be fair, when expounding on different subjects. Looking at the facts since 1998, you have to admit Jim Irsay has been a great owner for Indy, however, other than bringing the Colts to Indy, I'm not sure what Bob Irsay brought to either Baltimore or Indianpolis during his reign. There were a handful of good season in Baltimore  and Indy, but mostly losing seasons and mismanagement. If you look at the records and facts , it is undeniable.

Look, I'm glad we got an NFL team in Baltimore, but I don't like the way we got them, and I don't like what Modell did to Cleveland. He mismanaged things over there, and got himself in financial hot water, that caused the move to Baltimore. Bob Irsay, I will say, was a very smart businessman, as is his son. Jim has been able to balance being a likeable guy, with being a good businessman, and running a successful franchise. If you think it is blasphemy to express an educated opinion, then so be it.

Schwamm, that is a very good point. I have been to both .....selfishly I like the Blue Crew on weeks the team is playing an away game or whatever its closer to my home.......so its a convenience not a destination, the food and the service really dropped over the last year or so.....like I said he needs something besides the Colts playing to be a reason to go there......something to draw the ladies.....cause if the ladies are there the men will follow.

Fwiw, my impression is that the downtown bar targets a younger fan, or those desperately clinging to the hope people see them as young.

My critisism of Randy's bar is that every time I've been there, I've felt like its a club, and I'm not a member (despite being a Colts fan forever). And I know I'm not the only one to feel that way. I didn't think there's too much reason to worry about his success, tho, because I think it's a great place to watch any sorting event, and maybe I feel like an outsider just because I don't go often enough to be recognized.

If I were to offer Randy any advise... it would be that the best way to build a loyal clientele is to make each new visitor feel welcomed and special. There are tons of successful restaurants and bars in town that do a far better job if that. My impression has been that he opened the bar to entertain his friends.

Fwiw, my impression is that the downtown bar targets a younger fan, or those desperately clinging to the hope people see them as young.

My critisism of Randy's bar is that every time I've been there, I've felt like its a club, and I'm not a member (despite being a Colts fan forever). And I know I'm not the only one to feel that way. I didn't think there's too much reason to worry about his success, tho, because I think it's a great place to watch any sorting event, and maybe I feel like an outsider just because I don't go often enough to be recognized.

If I were to offer Randy any advise... it would be that the best way to build a loyal clientele is to make each new visitor feel welcomed and special. There are tons of successful restaurants and bars in town that do a far better job if that. My impression has been that he opened the bar to entertain his friends.

Hmmmm you may be on to something there, I felt that way too but I thought I was the only one....I wasn't part of the club..........Never stopped me from going, but I did get that feeling quite often

Actually, TKnight brought up Bob Irsay on this thread before I did. Shakedown said he was a changed man, and all I'm saying is I disagree with that assessment. We're talking NFL history here, and debating various topics. Do you want all the same opinion all the time ? Should some Indy fans " Let go," their ill feelings to Polian because another forum member is offended ?

When I first came on this forum, I was a bit over the top. But alot of the Indy fans have made some good points, and I'm trying to be fair, when expounding on different subjects. Looking at the facts since 1998, you have to admit Jim Irsay has been a great owner for Indy, however, other than bringing the Colts to Indy, I'm not sure what Bob Irsay brought to either Baltimore or Indianpolis during his reign. There were a handful of good season in Baltimore and Indy, but mostly losing seasons and mismanagement. If you look at the records and facts , it is undeniable.

Look, I'm glad we got an NFL team in Baltimore, but I don't like the way we got them, and I don't like what Modell did to Cleveland. He mismanaged things over there, and got himself in financial hot water, that caused the move to Baltimore. Bob Irsay, I will say, was a very smart businessman, as is his son. Jim has been able to balance being a likeable guy, with being a good businessman, and running a successful franchise. If you think it is blasphemy to express an educated opinion, then so be it.

OK, we don't need to make this a snipe fest. I can't find the quote you site from TKnight (maybe I'm not seeing all posts on my phone?) but besides that, I'm not sure he was alive yet when Bob died. My only point is that this is a thread about Jim. Just because someone makes a side comment about Bob, it isn't an open invitation to redirect the conversation.

OK, we don't need to make this a snipe fest. I can't find the quote you site from TKnight (maybe I'm not seeing all posts on my phone?) but besides that, I'm not sure he was alive yet when Bob died. My only point is that this is a thread about Jim. Just because someone makes a side comment about Bob, it isn't an open invitation to redirect the conversation

It's all good, but just remember, most of these threads get redirected a little bit, and have subtopics. It would be a boring forum if you just had "

Jim is a classy owner.

Yes, Jim is a Classy owner.

I agree with you, Jim is a classy owner.

I think if the comment is fair, and addresses an aspect of the thread, and not totally off topic, I don't see the problem.

Now, as far as this bar goes, I'm never against the owner helping out a bar owner. Is this bar Irsay is helping out some kind of private club or bar ? I'll have to check these bars out the next time I get to Indy, but I doubt I'll be welcomed into the Club. I embrace middle age, and won't be wearing Raven's gear in. I may have to dust off some of my old Baltimore Colt's jackets and hats, and roll on in there ! Look for the guy in the Don Nottingham jersey ! LOL

It's all good, but just remember, most of these threads get redirected a little bit, and have subtopics. It would be a boring forum if you just had "

Jim is a classy owner.

Yes, Jim is a Classy owner.

I agree with you, Jim is a classy owner.

I think if the comment is fair, and addresses an aspect of the thread, and not totally off topic, I don't see the problem.

Now, as far as this bar goes, I'm never against the owner helping out a bar owner. Is this bar Irsay is helping out some kind of private club or bar ? I'll have to check these bars out the next time I get to Indy, but I doubt I'll be welcomed into the Club. I embrace middle age, and won't be wearing Raven's gear in. I may have to dust off some of my old Baltimore Colt's jackets and hats, and roll on in there ! Look for the guy in the Don Nottingham jersey ! LOL

I wouldn't say it's a club, just that the vibe can come off that way. If I recall correctly, the "Blue Crew" was a Colts game tailgating group that decided to open a joint. I guess I'm just describing a feeling I've always gotten walking into the place that you are either part of the inner circle, or not.

I really can't complain. I've been treated as part of the inner circle at a few Indy establishments, and its a good feeling. From a business standpoint, though, I wonder if it causes the owner some heartache if those on the outside looking in decide to take their business elsewhere.

From a business standpoint, what Mr. Collins did was a risky proposition. To open up an exclusive tail-gating club just to break even, is a formula for disaster. We all have friends who are moochers, and don't pay their fair share. This is the kind of thing that gets you in trouble, from a business perspective. Also, when you make it somewhat exclusive, you are turning away customers that help you turn a profit, to keep the place up and running. Liquor licenses are also very expensive. I'm not saying this happened at this particular establishment, but I've seen it elsewhere.

Probably Mr. Collins and his friends seem to want a nice tail-gating place for their own crowd, that is maybe less crowded than some of the other top tail-gating establishments. When I go to bars in Baltimore, or other cities, I don't really care about whether I'm welcomed, or not. I just enjoy the atmosphere, and chug down a few Miller Lites. Anyway, sounds like he has free rent for awhile, but he may want to increase his clientele base, or charge a bit more for drinks. Don't make The Old Crow show up at this place. I will be as welcome as a case of poison ivy ! LOL

OMG!!!!   You people are going to give me a heart attack!!    The Blue Crew Sports Grill is NOT a private club just for members of the Blue Crew tailgating club.   It's a full service, family friendly, bar/restaurant that happens to have a Colts theme.   Yes, we do one hell of a business on the days the Colts play, but we're open seven days a week, 52 weeks a year, not counting the usual holidays most other restaurants are closed.   

One of the biggest issues we have facing us right now is that some people only think of us during the football season.   Now that we're back open, our biggest change is to rebrand ourselves as a restaruant/bar/entertainment venue first, Colts hangout second.    Of course we still love our Colts, but we love our customers that come in for dinner on a Tuesday night in May just as much.   :)

Thanks.