Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hugh Thornton opens up about the murder of his mom and sister

GoColts8818

Thanks for the link....

Geeez....no one should ever have to go through that but it sounds like he has come through a horrendous situation pretty well.

His off-field stuff at Illinois sounds like fairly typical, relatively minor college-age mischief. I don't condone it, but you could probably arrest half of the the kids going to college these days for underage drinking or phony IDs.

I'd be delighted to see Thornton be the man who finally nails down one of the OG positions for us.

You define a person not by where they are now, but the road they took to get there. You judge a person by their choices and actions. I wonder if we would have all took the right path given his situation he was going through at 12. I don't think I can really imagine what it was like. He does sound like a good man with character. Wish him the best as a Colt. P.S. I made a phony ID in college and yes I drank under age.

Wow, he had to deal with that as a 7th grader. I couldn't imagine if that happened to me. I'm extremely glad he's a Colt! He has great potential and I love his physicality. I also like his wrestling background, it shows how athletic he is.

Thanks for the link....

Geeez....no one should ever have to go through that but it sounds like he has come through a horrendous situation pretty well.

His off-field stuff at Illinois sounds like fairly typical, relatively minor college-age mischief. I don't condone it, but you could probably arrest half of the the kids going to college these days for underage drinking or phony IDs.

I'd be delighted to see Thornton be the man who finally nails down one of the OG positions for us.

we're starting to build up a list of trouble-makers.  GOOD, let's get some tough dudes out on the field to crack some head open.  It's about time we stop drafting panty-waists.

You define a person not by where they are now, but the road they took to get there. You judge a person by their choices and actions. I wonder if we would have all took the right path given his situation he was going through at 12. I don't think I can really imagine what it was like. He does sound like a good man with character. Wish him the best as a Colt. P.S. I made a phony ID in college and yes I drank under age.

I often am very thankful I was born nearly 40 years ago. Teenagers do not get away with the stuff we used to, and with social media, everyone knows when we make one stupid mistake.

Thanks for the link....

Heck, you could arrest half of our high school kids for underage drinking and phony I.D.'s..............lol

we're starting to build up a list of trouble-makers.  GOOD, let's get some tough dudes out on the field to crack some head open.  It's about time we stop drafting panty-waists.

I think I know what you're saying, but of course, trouble makers don't always equate to being tough SMART guys.  I don't want trouble makers on the team period.  But I get the feeling this guy's troublemaking days are through and the tough, smart guy is what we're getting.

I think I know what you're saying, but of course, trouble makers don't always equate to being tough SMART guys.  I don't want trouble makers on the team period.  But I get the feeling this guy's troublemaking days are through and the tough, smart guy is what we're getting.

That's what I'm saying.  Just don't want a bunch of Mama's boys and have to have that Irish Spring clean soapy feeling (kind of like Polian/Dungy feel good clean).  Let's get some attitude, get rough down in the trenches, and knock some snot bubbles out of the opponents.

I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm because we all thought McClendon was our long term answer at RG as well. Although it's easier to get excited about this pick because it was Grigson who picked him, and Grigson probably knows linemen better than Polian.

The guy definitely has all the intangibles you like to see out of your O-linemen; former Tackle, mean streak, wrestling background. He also seems like a pretty well spoken guy. I'm not sure if anyone else values that, but to me it signifies intelligence. He isn't painful to listen to like Chris or Chad Johnson.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Greg Toler.  His interview was linked on the Thornton webpage and I listened to him as well.  Boy, that was another impressive interview.  I'll be pulling hard for him as well.

I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm because we all thought McClendon was our long term answer at RG as well. Although it's easier to get excited about this pick because it was Grigson who picked him, and Grigson probably knows linemen better than Polian.

The guy definitely has all the intangibles you like to see out of your O-linemen; former Tackle, mean streak, wrestling background. He also seems like a pretty well spoken guy. I'm not sure if anyone else values that, but to me it signifies intelligence. He isn't painful to listen to like Chris or Chad Johnson.

Ditto about McClendon.  I had so high hopes for the guy, especially after Polian said in an interview with him that he thought he'd be starting the following year.  What a disappointment.

Thornton's a much better prospect than McClendon was coming out. That's no offense to Jacques, who only became a full-time starter his senior year. Thornton's had 35 starts at guard and tackle, was an all-conference performer at LT, and was the best player on the #1 rushing offense in the Big Ten (bet you're as surprised as I was to find out that honor didn't belong to Wisconsin).

I had hopes we could develop McClendon as well, but they were much more based in blind faith than Thornton. We drafted Hugh at the area many had him rated at and he had a much better track record going in to the draft. I wish Jacques the best of luck in Atlanta, but he's not the player Thornton is.

Didn't get a chance to listen to the audio....   but in addition to his mother and sister being murdered in the room next to his,  the bio's I've see on him say he was also abused by his father...

I'd imagine the kid has had some serious anger management issues -- and who could blame him?!?

But it seems like he tries to take them out on the field.   Very tough guy.   Likes to bury his man in the ground.   Very aggressive.

Loved his profile.    Thrilled we took him.    I would've been happy with any of the 3rd round guards,  Warford, Winters and Thornton.     But Thornton is a kid you can really,  really root for!

Here's hoping he is what the Colts think he is!     :thmup: