Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Hugh Thornton With 3rd Pick

krunk

Comes down to whether or not Grigson did FA correctly.  I do not trust him, but am willing to give him the benefit of doubt and was willing to let Walden and Sidbury play to find out how FA went.

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong....   but the part of the sentence that I high-lighted says to me that you do not trust Grigson, but are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.     Is that correct?

Or is it the players we signed in FA that you don't trust?    I'm not sure which.

I look forward to your answer.......  (I think......)

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Insane.  Troll.  Logic.

Seriously, if, in theory, any need in the draft is reflective of failure in free agency, then why do we have any draft picks at all?  In that sense, shouldn't we have, I don't know, traded our first rounder for Revis or something?

BTW, I seriously doubt Werner was going to slide out of the first.  But that's another issue entirely.

What you're saying just makes no sense.  You're saying that if Grigson did well in FA, we wouldn't need any draft picks at all.

You CAN'T fill all your holes in free agency.  It's neither feasible nor desirable.  You build a team through the draft.  To say that needing a pass rusher in the draft reflects a dire failure of the management in free agency is delusional at best, and frankly if I called it psychotic I'd probably be charitable.

I don't know if he's a troll, but I also see no logic in his opinions.  But that's okay, he's a glass mostly empty type of guy.

I thought I was being realistic last season by expecting us to win about 4 games.  I was happy to be so wrong.  Grigson has shown me he knows what he's doing.  

But I will say I don't know much about this guy.  What makes people think he's going to be better than say Anderson, who is bigger and came from a better program, playing better competition?  

Disagree with your first sentence.  It depends on your team.  Let's face it, even if the Colts did well last year, their OL stunk.  Even in the third round, I think we were looking for and hopefully found a starter.  It's not as if we were the 49ers.  In that case, sure, Thornton would probably only be looked at as depth or a future project.

The question is, if he is as good as we hope, then why was he not projected higher.  I understand what you are saying about last year's draft, but we should not have reached on a few of our picks. 

I don't know if he's a troll, but I also see no logic in his opinions.  But that's okay, he's a glass mostly empty type of guy.

I thought I was being realistic last season by expecting us to win about 4 games.  I was happy to be so wrong.  Grigson has shown me he knows what he's doing.  

But I will say I don't know much about this guy.  What makes people think he's going to be better than say Anderson, who is bigger and came from a better program, playing better competition?  

Well probably the fact that most draftniks had Anderson projected to be a 7th rounder or even undrafted.

It seems pretty universal that Thornton is viewed as a 3rd-4th round pick.

"Get yo Popcorn Ready" -Terrell Owens

Grigson just can't win in some eyes no matter who he picks in the draft( last year as well)

Two biggest needs were pass rush and interior line, Grigson addressed both with the first two picks. What more do you want, you want him to teach your dog to do a backflip

I wanted a punter and a long snapper!!! This is unacceptable!!!

"Get yo Popcorn Ready" -Terrell Owens

Grigson just can't win in some eyes no matter who he picks in the draft( last year as well)

Two biggest needs were pass rush and interior line, Grigson addressed both with the first two picks. What more do you want, you want him to teach your dog to do a backflip

Did you see Brandon Williams went to the Ravens?

I wouldn't worry too much if some of you don't know who he is because, as someone mentioned in passing in an earlier post, the Colts know who he is. In fact, the Colts O-line coach, Joe Gilbert, was Thornton's O-line coach his sophomore and junior seasons so I'm fairly confident that the Colts are very confident that they got a player they wanted.

Oh trust me I'm not worried at all. I actually like that Idk him cause now the suspense builds even more for me

The question is, if he is as good as we hope, then why was he not projected higher.

What I'm trying to say to you, is that that's a dead-end logical statement.  We KNOW, for a fact, that there are gems found late in the draft, a duds picked early.  But the logic you're using can work to say, for instance, the 12th overall pick isn't as good as the 11th overall pick, because if he was better he would have been the 11th overall pick instead.

The draft isn't this mathematically linear phenomenon.  You can't just apply that kind of logical maxim to evaluate the draft.  Otherwise you could say about any team's draft pick, other than the Chiefs first overall pick I guess, that their pick wasn't the optimal pick because the optimal player for them to be taken would have already been taken by someone else.

Again, that statement makes no sense.  You can't fix everything in free agency. 

That kind of viewpoint turns you into the Washington Redskins of yesteryear.  Albert Haynesworth, anyone?

Makes perfect sense.  If you believe that grigson got a pass rusher in FA (Sidbury) then Werner is a want, but if grigson blew his choice of pass rusher in FA, then Werner is a need.

reading gacker posts makes me wonder if he is even a colts fan bashing everything done so far the colts had needs at rush backer oline they addressed some needs in FA but u cant build ur whole team on FA and be successful (redskins) it takes a mix of FA and draft. I really like what the Colts have done so far with 3 picks as of right now tomorrow interested to see the direction we go. I trust what the colts are doing they are building a team through compeition and let the best man play period.

There are waaaay too many 3rd rounders and on, turning into starters, not depth. 

When it's that common, by definition... that's not an exception.

There is a reason for that, I am not going into that right now.  With that said, not day 1 starters.

The question is, if he is as good as we hope, then why was he not projected higher.  I understand what you are saying about last year's draft, but we should not have reached on a few of our picks.

I think this kid will be productive in our scheme. In some ways I do feel like Thornton would have been available as late as the 4th round, but I had to remember if Grigs really likes a guy he moves aggressively to obtain his services. That must have been his mindset with this pick.

I don't put much stock into draft projection determining whether or not a guy can play. There's been many a high draft pick that failed to produce much of anything. Thorntons' draft projection does not really give much truth to whether or not he will be productive.

Saw this guy get whooped twice in senior bowl practice. Once against datone jones. But had a few nice rebounds after that. In grigson I trust

I'm not sure I would look to the senior bowl footage of any of these players. Doesn't really tell you anything about how they can play lol. Almost like the probowl, IMO, of college.

Well probably the fact that most draftniks had Anderson projected to be a 7th rounder or even undrafted.

It seems pretty universal that Thornton is viewed as a 3rd-4th round pick.

Could be our starter.  But by that same logic, if Ijalana is finally healthy he should be starting according to most draftniks.  Just saying that stuff happens.  

As I said, I really don't know much about this guy.  I do know that Illinois wasn't exactly a powerhouse last year.  But he could have been their bright spot.

Yea I seen that, man I wanted him to last to the 4th. He is a Ngata clone and eventually replaces him when Ngata retires

Now me, I think Lotuleilei is a Ngata clone. Williams I feel has potential to be dominant though with some coaching and refining.

I'm not sure I would look to the senior bowl footage of any of these players. Doesn't really tell you anything about how they can play lol. Almost like the probowl, IMO, of college.

I've got to strongly disagree with you on that.  For some of these guys it's the first time they're playing against top competition.

You don't listen to the NFL Channel, right?

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong....   but the part of the sentence that I high-lighted says to me that you do not trust Grigson, but are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.     Is that correct?

Or is it the players we signed in FA that you don't trust?    I'm not sure which.

I look forward to your answer.......  (I think......)

Grigson, but I am willing to give his decisions a chance to play out.

I've got to strongly disagree with you on that. For some of these guys it's the first time they're playing against top competition.

You don't listen to the NFL Channel, right?

What I mean is its a mix mash of guys who have never played together before. They are mostly running new plays, but very basic plays, and especially for lineman, it can make them look worse. Just based on QBs trying to make big plays, and not knowing all the types of protections being called.

And no, never watch the NFL channel unless there's a Colts replay on, or a Thursday night game lol.

Like the pick

Remember the time Polian wasted a 3rd rounder on McClendon, no wonder 2011 was a disaster

He was 4th rounder and yeah I remember the pick. I knew nothing about him back when he was drafted.