Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The Donald Brown Project"

jshipp23

Denard Robinson also does not stay healthy. Replacing a  injury prone player for another smaller one who has never played running back. It doesn't make much since to me. Im sure the Colts will look for anther running back in the draft that will be able to step into Browns position next season. It doesn't make much since to cut Brown now.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we need a change of pace RB?  Someone give me good examples of where that is working, cause I don't see anyone doing that successfully.  The good teams have a backup that's similar to the starter and they take turns on each series.  Now, if you have a package where both Brown and Ballard were on the field at the same time, I would understand them needing to have different assets, but not when they are the only back in the backfield.

Why do we need a change of pace RB?  Someone give me good examples of where that is working, cause I don't see anyone doing that successfully.  The good teams have a backup that's similar to the starter and they take turns on each series.  Now, if you have a package where both Brown and Ballard were on the field at the same time, I would understand them needing to have different assets, but not when they are the only back in the backfield.

Buffalo

KC

49ers

Lions

Eagles

There is more 

I was just doing that!

Falcon-turner/rogers

Bears- forte/bush

Chiefs-Charles/Hillis

49ere- Gore/James

Bucs-martin/Blount

Rams-Jackson/pead

Oh look, another Donald Brown thread.

This one even has it's own fancy "Denard Robinson" bell.

:bag:

Curse you, offseason. Curse you.

I don't mean to make you nervous....

But I'm developing a man-crush on you John Waylon....   your sense of humor makes me laugh out loud!! 

:funny:        :spit:        :lol:

Taylor ran a 4.76 at the combine.  Here is all of the times for ya if you want to keep it...I posted after the combine, but nobody saw it but a couple things were moving so fast.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530761-2013-nfl-scouting-combine-results-tracking-every-40-yard-dash-time/page/5

Stephen is not fast,  but he performed at the combine on a bad ankle.    He didn't say anything to anyone because it would've looked like an excuse...

He ran 4.6 at his pro day and performed better in all drills...

He's still not fast....  but he's got some game....

I don't recall who it was, but someone last season was breaking down each game, play by play, for DB and Vick.  He (or she) went through the trouble of analyzing how often they were hit behind the line, how many yards were gained after contact, etc.

The results of the analysis seemed to consistently point to DB being unfairly criticized.  Before he got injured, his numbers were consistently markedly better than Vick's.

Now... that said, Vick improved DRASTICALLY after DB was IR'd.  I prefer Vick as the starter, but if DB can stay healthy (BIG IF), he is a very solid number 2 for the Colts, IMO.

yeah def agree with brown as the backup.  its a realshame that some fans forget this a team sport.  all it takes is one part of the chain to break and the wheel falls off.  and that one link might be a quality player.  or almost quality.  if anything the running game relies on the team as a whole than any other.

Stephen is not fast,  but he performed at the combine on a bad ankle.    He didn't say anything to anyone because it would've looked like an excuse...

He ran 4.6 at his pro day and performed better in all drills...

He's still not fast....  but he's got some game....

I really like Taylor...was just giving TK his combine time NCF...wish we had a 'plethora' of picks....

For me as a Colts fan of just one year, I think the biggest problem Donald Brown has is that he was a #1 pick.

In other words:   Expectations.     They're just too high.   He's not going to perform like a first round pick.

But if he had been picked in say, the 4th round,  there wouldn't be calls to dump him.   He's a decent back-up and can spot start if need be.

As for actual game....   I think his biggest flaw is that he seems very injury prone.   Not a great quality for a RB.

But I see no reason to get rid of him.   Not with a new offense that might take more advantage of his skills than last year's offense did.     Give the guy one more year.   There's little downside to that.    He might just turn into something more than you think.

Players in a contract year, a walk-year,  often do have the best season of their career.    I think we should take advantage of that.

Just my view as a New Colts Fan.....

I like DBrown a lot. He is the first home run threat as a RB on the team in like...forever. I also highly doubt there are any plans at this time to trade/cut/or anything before the end of next season.

Add me to the list of fans who are fine with him and tired of the angst thrown at him.

I really like Taylor...was just giving TK his combine time NCF...wish we had a 'plethora' of picks....

I understand....    no worries....    just offering the back story and the update....    I like Taylor too...   I just don't want to over draft him...     No sooner than R4 please...   and I'd prefer R5....

Donald is the perfect back for the WCO in my opinion. He'll be very effective on 3rd downs. No doubt in my mind we would've beat Baltimore with him playing. He can run between the tackles. We need people to block up front. He was the featured back at UConn and they ran between the tackles.

How is the O Line pronounced fixed already?

You make me think of the clip they used to play at 5p weekdays on Q95 (may still, but I haven't tuned in in a long time): "Quittin' time? I's the foeman, I's the one who says when it's quittin' time!

Perhaps it'd be better to say the line has largely been addressed.

Now they just need to figure out how to develop cohesion as quickly as possible, and we might actually have something.

I like DBrown a lot. He is the first home run threat as a RB on the team in like...forever. I also highly doubt there are any plans at this time to trade/cut/or anything before the end of next season. Add me to the list of fans who are fine with him and tired of the angst thrown at him.

He has played in approximately 80% of our games. Sanders was injury prone. For a RB with a porous line, he's hard as nails. And while I expect Ballard to increase his ypc in the next few years, Brown has performed better. I like our combo.

78.1 percent of the games to be exact

50 games out of 64

842 carries MJD over 1st 4 years 3924 yards (63 games) 4.6 ypc over that span, Drew also played in 63 out of 64 games in that span, starting 20 

Brown 449 carries over 1st 4 years 1840 yards (50 games) Brown 4.09 ypc over that span (rounded up to 4.1)

Brown started 30 percent of the games he has played in through that span 

Drew started 31.7 percent 

Both have a low center of gravity(very good balance)

Both have the speed to break the big one

both can catch out of the backfield

both can run between the tackles

The biggest differences:

Body type (Durability)

Jags superior run blocking O Line (to this point and time)

Now did I do this to say Brown is anywhere near the talent that Drew is? Of course not, I dont believe he is, Brown does not show alot of shiftness in his runs like Drew does and Brown down to easy when he does get in the open field but they do share some similar traits mainly low center of gravity and homerun speed

but the most glaring difference is durability

Gavin.....Body type (Durability)

• MJD is breaking down
  • Brown is oft injured.

I am for Brown competing for this team, and I am on record as saying Ballard/Brown could make for a nice 1-2 punch....and I alway say IF Brown is healthy......

Not sure I am 'with' the body type remark unless it means...carrying the ball until injured again... :thinking:  :dunno:

Gavin.....Body type (Durability)

• MJD is breaking down
  • Brown is oft injured.

I am for Brown competing for this team, and I am on record as saying Ballard/Brown could make for a nice 1-2 punch....and I alway say IF Brown is healthy......

Not sure I am 'with' the body type remark unless it means...carrying the ball until injured again... :thinking:  :dunno:

Drew is short and compact(everyone says hes like a bowling ball) while Brown is short and thin

Drew is short and compact(everyone says hes like a bowling ball) while Brown is short and thin

Drew is a mini tank....with those thighs.....those carries are wearing on and on...wonder how much he has left?  I guess we will find out twice if healthy.

You guys seriously needa stop bashing Donald Brown. Let's put y'all behind our oline & see how long you guys last before getting injured

Until we get an oline that understands that they're being paid to block & not just be a body on the field, then we won't see a production increase by all of our RB's

Brown is the anomaly of our offense. A lot of people would say that he didn't deserve to get taken in the first round but that was Polian for you.

Brown still has speed that Ballard or Carter doesn't have. He also still has better hands than our other backs. Problem was our O-line wasn't good at blocking long enough to break open holes for our backs. 

After 4 years of failure it's time to cut bait, short of cutting him and eationg his 2 million dollar salary I would trade him for a 7th round pick if we can even find any takers...His 1 attribute is speed...He has zero vision, no awareness, no power, is injury prone and made of glass, and is below average at best as a receiver as he always is too worried about getting hit and turns head to check for defenders and drops many balls that could have been big plays..3 out of his 4 years his avg per carry was under 4 yards..3 out of 4 years he has run for less than 500 yards...The most receptions he has had in a season is 20..The most TD's he has had in a season is 5, and last year he had 9 catches and 1 TD and for all his speed his longest run was 19 yards...Their are 20 backs in rounds 1 thru 7 that could come in day 1 and be more productive..I would even rather have Denard Robinson in rounds 6 or 7 and convert him to RB and he would provide more production and big plays than Brown...Thoughts and Opinions???

You know who also averaged under 4 yards per carry?  Vick Ballard

You know who also averaged under 4 yards per carry?  Vick Ballard

1 year sample size compare to 4 years....Brown also had 2 years with Manning where teams had to honor the threat of the pass.....I really can't believe people think he is good, and I'm sure Grigson figured it out after last year...Brown will be 3rd on the depth chart next season behind Ballard and whoever we bring in, even if it's a 7th rounder.

Brown is the anomaly of our offense. A lot of people would say that he didn't deserve to get taken in the first round but that was Polian for you.

Brown still has speed that Ballard or Carter doesn't have. He also still has better hands than our other backs. Problem was our O-line wasn't good at blocking long enough to break open holes for our backs. 

I keep hearing his hand s are so good...Why then is the most receptions he has ever had 20?

1 year sample size compare to 4 years....Brown also had 2 years with Manning where teams had to honor the threat of the pass.....I really can't believe people think he is good, and I'm sure Grigson figured it out after last year...Brown will be 3rd on the depth chart next season behind Ballard and whoever we bring in, even if it's a 7th rounder.

Brown wasn't the starter.

If we take a RB in later rounds IMO its him ,he knows system so no real learning curb,hes a decent receiver,pretty good blocker,hes just a solid RB,like some one in here said hes got game

I know people are going to be debating the Brown thing over and over. I'm not saying that he's not a decent back, but he never really has impressed me. (my opinion)

I also wouldn't draft a back 1st round..save for a sure thing like AP, or Earl Campbell..we need a line to block. If we keep Brown, and our line improves, he'll do ok..but to me..I would much rather see us in round 3 or 4 (assuming they drop) to my two below....also, there is no way I want Stepfan Taylor...he's not that fast, and is the same type of back we already have in Ballard...

Stephan Taylor is about as fast as Ballard, and Graham. I've named two that I thought would work, feel free to add anyone else you like.

Jonathan Franklin (UCLA) or Kenjon Barner (Oregon) would be my two backs I wouldn't mind seeing in Colts Blue..Barner is more explosive, but Franklin is a better blocker...both have 4.5 speed..and good hands..Perfect compliments to Ballard imo

TK..I agree with you about the line...and Earl Campbell was another back that did it w/o a line...Not sure about Jim Brown's line..but from highlights I saw he just ran over everything in his way..that included his own linemen...

Sanders was awesome..but his son is bigger, just as fast, and has a lot of the same moves his dad had..don't count him out yet..(watch Stanford this year to see what I'm talking about..). If Sanders Jr can stay healthy..watch out...the kid has Superstar written all over him...

Food for thought: If we do keep Brown this year, we can always trade up next year to get the ultimate change of pace back...D'Anthony Thomas...

I know people are going to be debating the Brown thing over and over. I'm not saying that he's not a decent back, but he never really has impressed me. (my opinion)

I also wouldn't draft a back 1st round..save for a sure thing like AP, or Earl Campbell..we need a line to block. If we keep Brown, and our line improves, he'll do ok..but to me..I would much rather see us in round 3 or 4 (assuming they drop) to my two below....also, there is no way I want Stepfan Taylor...he's not that fast, and is the same type of back we already have in Ballard...

Jonathan Franklin (UCLA) or Kenjon Barner (Oregon) would be my two backs I wouldn't mind seeing in Colts Blue..Barner is more explosive, but Franklin is a better blocker...both have 4.5 speed..and good hands..Perfect compliments to Ballard imo

TK..I agree with you about the line...and Earl Campbell was another back that did it w/o a line...Not sure about Jim Brown's line..but from highlights I saw he just ran over everything in his way..that included his own linemen...

Sanders was awesome..but his son is bigger, just as fast, and has a lot of the same moves his dad had..don't count him out yet..(watch Stanford this year to see what I'm talking about..). If Sanders Jr can stay healthy..watch out...the kid has Superstar written all over him...

Food for thought: If we do keep Brown this year, we can always trade up next year to get the ultimate change of pace back...D'Anthony Thomas...

If we don't get Lacy, then maybe we trade up next year and get Yeldon ....I know it's another Alabama kid, but he is the best of the bunch I've seen come out of that RB factory recently.  I like Randle,Barner,Franklin, Gillislee, and Ball all as later round options that could be the #2 back or compete with Ballard for the starting spot in time..