Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colts had a RB like Doug Martin or C.J. Spiller then the Great Vick Ballard would barely see the field...

jshipp23

Peterson, on a really really good day, might be able to win you a game on his own, but no other RB in the league gives you that, you need to wake up and realize this.

That being said I don't believe an RB should never go in the first, especially late in the first when plenty of teams don't have many, if any holes. But they do need to be studs, I don't see that this year, you clearly do, fair enough.

I think we will draft an RB (but not in the first) because our ground game will be an integral part of our offense as it is with all the top team, bar maybe Green Bay. But a great ground game does not equate to needing an elite RB. I care much more about player that are scheme fits, if we get an RB he should be a pounder.

If we are modeling our defense on the Ravens, I think we should model our offense and the Patriots, because I believe we have all the pieces to do so. Patriots had a very effective running game last year without an elite RB, but a really good rotation. Patriots are the ultimate team at using their versatility to create mismatches, and I love the thought of us doing the same.

What do you think the difference in results would if you had Martin or Spiller on the Colts? Do you think it would be a benefit for Luck as far as the play-action and him having more time? Would we be much more dangerous and harder to scheme against? I'm not saying take 1 this year and I'm not sold Lacy is that either, but I am responding this attitude here that you can just find backs in later rounds and they are obsolete and unimportant...If you have a really good 1 and can make every other aspect of your offense so much better. Sure a good line can make an average RB look good, but a great RB can also make up for a poor or average line....

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SMH...waiting for this 1 too...People like to point out the few times that it does happen , it is very rare..You can get a solid back or a good back but no one of a Spiller or Martin caliber as examples..This includes Foster, Rhodes, Morris, and Ballard...They are not the same caliber at all...Anyone with eyes who actually watches games can see this...I think many fans just repeat and Parrot what other people say and base it on no opinion of their own...We have a very fairweather fanbase here still unfortunately.

just razzin...

there are rules & exceptions...

some running backs drafted in the first round will be great with HOF careers, some will be so-so, & some will be busts...

some running backs drafted in late rounds or UDFA's will not make rosters, some will be decent back-ups, & some will be awesome & arguably deserving of a SB MVP...

rules & exceptions...

I don't think this is the year to go RB first round, but I am almost always surprised on draft day...

but you have a point to say NEVER go RB in the firstround is silly too...

It is a passing league!! Build the OLine and your RB will have success. Not saying they will all be Adrian Peterson, but if you have people up front who can open up holes, the back will look good IMO.. Don't waste a 1st on and RB unless they are a complete stud

Waiting for us to draft a RB at #24 is gonna be more disappointing than a kid waiting for Santa Clause after the parents told the kid he doesn't exist.

Short story: Don't expect for it to happen

I'm sure you will be jumping for joy with the cornerbackites if we take a CB...Never said it was my 1st choice but I'm not against it and don't be surprised if it happens if his interviews and work ethic aren't in question...

It is a passing league!! Build the OLine and your RB will have success. Not saying they will all be Adrian Peterson, but if you have people up front who can open up holes, the back will look good IMO.. Don't waste a 1st on and RB unless they are a complete stud

Usually if they are in the 1st round convo than they are a stud, maybe not this year, but I'm sure if Lacy turns out to be a McFadden, Jamal Lewis, Doug Martin type back and we take him fans here will change their viewpoint on the subject. Not saying he is, but not saying he isn't either...Then I'll hear it is a passing league, and the next thing is you have to be able to run the ball, and then we need to be a big power run game...A lot of the fans here just repeat what they hear..Which type of Offense do they want?

I personally don't care who the Colts take in the first round. I trust their decision. Yeah I have preferences WR, OLB, possibly a CB but it's not like I would climb up the Empire State Building and start wreaking havoc if they picked a RB.

LOL... I am the same way, I dont really care who the Colts go at #24...

I just think B.Jones would make a great Colt, he's the only guy I really like but he'd be a pretty big reach at #24, so I am just hopin the Colts trade back, or he is there in the 3rd...

What do you think the difference in results would if you had Martin or Spiller on the Colts? Do you think it would be a benefit for Luck as far as the play-action and him having more time? Would we be much more dangerous and harder to scheme against? I'm not saying take 1 this year and I'm not sold Lacy is that either, but I am responding this attitude here that you can just find backs in later rounds and they are obsolete and unimportant...If you have a really good 1 and can make every other aspect of your offense so much better. Sure a good line can make an average RB look good, but a great RB can also make up for a poor or average line....

Did you read my post or are you just going to say the same thing regardless of replies?

Of course a great ground game would be huge for us, but I would rather get someone who fits the scheme, and brings something different from what we have. Donald Brown may not be near Spiller in talent, but he is the same type of player i.e. very dangerous in open space. A good rotation works. As I stated I would prefer a Patriots-like approach where we have different types of backs that can exploit weaknesses in different defenses. It has proven to be effective.

Good RBs do not win football games, they just contribute, like a slot receiver.

All this nonsense about never drafting a RB IN THE 1ST is really irritating.... If you followed the NFL last year with any regularity you could see the impact 1st round RB's such as Martin aka "Muscle Hamster", and Spiller had on very bad teams and were the single reason those teams enjoyed any success whatsoever..People here act like Ballard is the next Walter Payton..Im not saying take a RB in the 1st round this year, but the theory that you never do and RB is obsolete is comical to me...AND NOW WE WAIT.. lmao

ok and what about guys like Arian Foster and Alfred Morris?? Morris if im not mistaken set a rookie record for the most rushing yards in a season 1613 yards last season and he was drafted in the 6th round, Arian foster was a 3rd or 4th round pick and has ran for over 4,000 yards in the last 3 seasons combined.and Vic ballard in just 12 games started rushed for almost 1,000 yards.  first round draft picks (donald brown) dont always make it in the NFL or dont turn into superstars like AP. 

No just no. People don't act like Ballard is the next coming of Payton. He's a player who does his job. Nothing more nothing less. He's not going to wow you he's simply going to run the ball, pick up as much as he can, go back to the huddle and get ready for the next play.

Ballard must have seen NFL Network snippets of Belichick where he says "just do your job, do your job"; that is as simple as it gets. :)

ok and what about guys like Arian Foster and Alfred Morris?? Morris if im not mistaken set a rookie record for the most rushing yards in a season 1613 yards last season and he was drafted in the 6th round, Arian foster was a 3rd or 4th round pick and has ran for over 4,000 yards in the last 3 seasons combined.and Vic ballard in just 12 games started rushed for almost 1,000 yards.  first round draft picks (donald brown) dont always make it in the NFL or dont turn into superstars like AP. 

Foster went undrafted.

Did you read my post or are you just going to say the same thing regardless of replies?

Of course a great ground game would be huge for us, but I would rather get someone who fits the scheme, and brings something different from what we have. Donald Brown may not be near Spiller in talent, but he is the same type of player i.e. very dangerous in open space. A good rotation works. As I stated I would prefer a Patriots-like approach where we have different types of backs that can exploit weaknesses in different defenses. It has proven to be effective.

Good RBs do not win football games, they just contribute, like a slot receiver.

I am not opposed to either way...Good running backs win football games all the time..Either way done effectively can and will win. Brown is not the answer at all and we will address that in some way this offseason I'm sure. 

Usually if they are in the 1st round convo than they are a stud, maybe not this year, but I'm sure if Lacy turns out to be a McFadden, Jamal Lewis, Doug Martin type back and we take him fans here will change their viewpoint on the subject. Not saying he is, but not saying he isn't either...Then I'll hear it is a passing league, and the next thing is you have to be able to run the ball, and then we need to be a big power run game...A lot of the fans here just repeat what they hear..Which type of Offense do they want?

I personally would be dissapointed if we took an RB in the first this year.. I am content with Ballard as our back right now. I liked what the kid did last year.. And we have added to linemen who I think will be huge improvements.

And I do believe it is a passing league.. But you also can't be one-dimmensional. Ballard adds the running side to our O

If you read the rest of the posts I've covered this...they are products of great lines and Morris the read option which keeps defensive players on their heels and is a big advantage for the running backs...Morris and Foster are not in Martin or Spillers league period. Either way can be effective but don't close the door on a 1st round back is all I'm saying..Yes, a great line will make good running backs look great just as a great back can make up for a bad line...Now just imagine if you have a great back and a great line and a great QB? This has happened before and it is a deadly combination...St.Louis, Dallas, San Francisco, Pittsburgh Super Bowl teams....Rice and Flacco weren't a bad combo this year either.

1. Spiller was not a rookie last year like has been implied. And had a good Oline.

2. Martin by far was not the only weapon.  See Dallas Clark, Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, good Oline,  and a decent young QB.

3. I like Ballard quite a bit.  With a better Oline which could still be improved through the draft he will do very well.

4. To many spots in no order OG,OLB,CB,WR, DE are ahead of RB.  If one is there in a later round and is BPA "Lattimore" 6-7 round?

1. Spiller was not a rookie last year like has been implied. And had a good Oline.

2. Martin by far was not the only weapon.  See Dallas Clark, Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, good Oline,  and a decent young QB.

3. I like Ballard quite a bit.  With a better Oline which could still be improved through the draft he will do very well.

4. To many spots in no order OG,OLB,CB,WR, DE are ahead of RB.  If one is there in a later round and is BPA "Lattimore" 6-7 round?

He's going into his fourth year.

No one inferred he was a rookie??? Dallas Clark is old and busted? Jackson and Williams and a decent QB isn't exactly scaring people...Buffalo had Levitre , but the rest of their line was average at best. Ballard is good , but if he is hurt then what? RB is a brutal position and they get hurt, do you want to depend on Brown or Carter?

He's going into his fourth year.

The point had nothing to do with him being a rookie it's him being a 1st round pick and he was badly underutilized for years at the dismay of fans in Buffalo...The point is you find athletes like that in the 1st round MOST of the time as their r always exceptions, but they are rare.

I am not opposed to either way...Good running backs win football games all the time..Either way done effectively can and will win. Brown is not the answer at all and we will address that in some way this offseason I'm sure. 

Okay well let me ask you this, and keep in mind everything I have said, I think our running game is very important, but...

When is the last time a team won a Super Bowl without good QB? Definitely has not happened in the last 10 years.

When is the last time a team won a Super Bowl without a good RB? I'd say Packers in 2011, Saints in 2010 who relied on 3-back rotation, Steelers in 2009 who ran well but didn't have a stand-out back, and arguably the Giants in 2008 and 2012 who also relied on rotation.

I do not care if we don't have a run over 10 yards all year. As long as we get our 5 YPC avg and can set up in the passing game effectively, this will be a dangerous offense.

The point had nothing to do with him being a rookie it's him being a 1st round pick and he was badly underutilized for years at the dismay of fans in Buffalo...The point is you find athletes like that in the 1st round MOST of the time as their r always exceptions, but they are rare.

Never claimed you said, just pointing out that he is going into his fourth year.

Okay well let me ask you this, and keep in mind everything I have said, I think our running game is very important, but...

When is the last time a team won a Super Bowl without good QB? Definitely has not happened in the last 10 years.

When is the last time a team won a Super Bowl without a good RB? I'd say Packers in 2011, Saints in 2010 who relied on 3-back rotation, Steelers in 2009 who ran well but didn't have a stand-out back, and arguably the Giants in 2008 and 2012 who also relied on rotation.

I do not care if we don't have a run over 10 yards all year. As long as we get our 5 YPC avg and can set up in the passing game effectively, this will be a dangerous offense.

Bucs and Ravens...Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson..How about all the teams that won Super Bowls with great running backs? And the rotations you spoke of had a t least 2 good running backs and we have 1....It seems like after watching MJD run all over us and beat us single handedly several times without any help people would understand what a great RB can do..While MJD wasn't a 1st he was a high 2nd.

Bucs and Ravens...Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson..How about all the teams that won Super Bowls with great running backs? And the rotations you spoke of had a t least 2 good running backs and we have 1....It seems like after watching MJD run all over us and beat us single handedly several times without any help people would understand what a great RB can do..While MJD wasn't a 1st he was a high 2nd.

Thank you for proving my point.

It has HOT next to it like most every one I start :) No point making a thread if you gonna have 5 replies,,Give it a try and see how much interest you get,, GOOD LUCK TO YA, Thanks for visiting

That is because when people make good points, they do not need many replies to correct them.

That is because when people make good points, they do not need many replies to correct them.

Ok we are fine with Ballard, and Brown and I hope we draft Warford in the 1st or Xavier Rhodes..People will love this :) Pretty birdy, Pretty birdy, can you say pretty Birdy #Parrots

By showing 1 Elite  RB on a bad team can beat a great team by himself, or that 2 teams won the Super Bowl with horrible QB's in the last 10 years, but they had great RB's??

No silly, both of those teams won their Super Bowls over ten years ago, the game has changed, haven't you noticed? Cause everyone else has.

And yes you really put me in my place with MJD being all the Jags have. Have they every been in the playoffs with MJD?

You have made your points... many, many times, most disagree. Leave it at that.

It has HOT next to it like most every one I start :) No point making a thread if you gonna have 5 replies,,Give it a try and see how much interest you get,, GOOD LUCK TO YA, Thanks for visiting

Good for you.

Good for you.

I'm obviously not cool enough to be in this thread, therefore I'll take my absence now.

Best of luck to those of you who chose to keep up with this one.

I do LOVE the idea of YOU calling anything "irritating" and "ridiculous".....    Oh, the irony....

So, I'll answer it this way....

If my aunt had stones,  she'd be my uncle....

Thanks for playing....   we have some lovely parting gifts for you as you leave!

jshipp23, on 12 Apr 2013 - 13:24, said:

All this nonsense about never drafting a RB IN THE 1ST is really irritating.... If you followed the NFL last year with any regularity you could see the impact 1st round RB's such as Martin aka "Muscle Hamster", and Spiller had on very bad teams and were the single reason those teams enjoyed any success whatsoever..People here act like Ballard is the next Walter Payton..Im not saying take a RB in the 1st round this year, but the theory that you never do and RB is obsolete is comical to me...AND NOW WE WAIT.. lmao

jshipp....you'll never hear me say that RBs or the running game are obsolete.

On the contrary....I've been cackling like a parrot on meth that we need more emphasis on the run game. But it starts up front and I doubt we're done retooling the O-line.

If Grigson and Pagano decide that Lacy or some other RB is worthy of the #24 selection then so be it. You can come on here and declare yourself a prophet.

But there's been an increasing amount of injuries to RBs that, like it or not, have heavily trended the position toward the committee approach. At some point, for some teams, the rookie salary cap may reverse that trend a bit.

But like OGs....RBs have to be REALLY special talents, with home run speed or legit 3-down skills to warrant a 1st round selection. Martin and Spiller were without question major contributors to their teams....but there are also the Jahvid Bests and Knowshon Morenos and Felix Joneses of the world.

My own take on Eddie Lacy is that for all his physically imposing qualities....for me, that lingering hamstring of his is throwing ice cold water on the idea of us taking him at #24. Running behind that juggernaut O-line at Bama was a double-edged sword and now hurts his draft status and his Pro Day last week certainly didn't help at all.

In this year's case of BPA at the #24 spot....should Warmack, Cooper, Jarvis Jones or Rhodes fall to us, they are better at their positions than Eddie Lacy is at RB, even though he's perhaps the "best in breed" among RBs.

I'm not so dogmatic to say we should never take a RB in 1st round ever again....but IMO neither Lacy or any other RB in this year's class should be our #24 selection.

With next year's class.....who knows?

jshipp....you'll never hear me say that RBs or the running game are obsolete.

On the contrary....I've been cackling like a parrot on meth that we need more emphasis on the run game. But it starts up front and I doubt we're done retooling the O-line.

If Grigson and Pagano decide that Lacy or some other RB is worthy of the #24 selection then so be it. You can come on here and declare yourself a prophet.

But there's been an increasing amount of injuries to RBs that, like it or not, have heavily trended the position toward the committee approach. At some point, for some teams, the rookie salary cap may reverse that trend a bit.

But like OGs....RBs have to be REALLY special talents, with home run speed or legit 3-down skills to warrant a 1st round selection. Martin and Spiller were without question major contributors to their teams....but there are also the Jahvid Bests and Knowshon Morenos and Felix Joneses of the world.

My own take on Eddie Lacy is that for all his physically imposing qualities....for me, that lingering hamstring of his is throwing ice cold water on the idea of us taking him at #24. Running behind that juggernaut O-line at Bama was a double-edged sword and now hurts his draft status and his Pro Day last week certainly didn't help at all.

In this year's case of BPA at the #24 spot....should Warmack, Cooper, Jarvis Jones or Rhodes fall to us, they are better at their positions than Eddie Lacy is at RB, even though he's perhaps the "best in breed" among RBs.

I'm not so dogmatic to say we should never take a RB in 1st round ever again....but IMO neither Lacy or any other RB in this year's class should be our #24 selection.

With next year's class.....who knows?

Well stated and I respect that....I agree on Cooper, Jones , and Warmack and have said so and my hypotheticals on taking Lacy are if their gone...Our line will be improved and we can still go Guard in the third is my point...If we can get a great RB now and add a great o-linemen next year in the draft or FA...It doesn't matter to me what order we get these pieces as long as we get them..We aren't that far removed from the triplets and you saw the havoc they caused when they were young and grew together.

Did you forget about how well ballard did for starting 11 or 12 games.... while not consistently getting 20 carries.... and with a terrible O-line ...he almost ended up with 900 yards rushing... be patient man, he's a good running back, I bet you if colts dont go with a running back this draft, he'll run for 1200 yards this season.

Did you forget about how well ballard did for starting 11 or 12 games.... while not consistently getting 20 carries.... and with a terrible O-line ...he almost ended up with 900 yards rushing... be patient man, he's a good running back, I bet you if colts dont go with a running back this draft, he'll run for 1200 yards this season.

If he is healthy, I never said he wasn't good, he is good...Not sure he is All-Pro good, but we still need another and I see Lacy as a Larry Johnson , Jamal Anderson type prospect and if the top 2 guards and Jones or Mingo aren't there and you don't trade back you take him...It is a safe pick he will be very GOOD, especially here in the culture we have in our locker room....