Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the Colts had a RB like Doug Martin or C.J. Spiller then the Great Vick Ballard would barely see the field...

jshipp23

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not exactly hard to make a thread you start long, when you post in it, yourself, 25 times.......

lmao...Just trying to educate the masses and it's a tough job...Thankfully this is a very small portion of the fan base as the other season ticket holders I know share many of my thoughts on the RB issue...Been counting sheep all day...I only got on here a week ago and it's getting tiresome and boring really to hear the same tired opinion parroted over and over again. Haven't missed a home game in 10 years and the opinions on this site are a minority...There are some knowledgeable informed people who actually know and maybe even played the game, so I won't say everybody..smh

lmao...Just trying to educate the masses and it's a tough job...Thankfully this is a very small portion of the fan base as the other season ticket holders I know share many of my thoughts on the RB issue...Been counting sheep all day...I only got on here a week ago and it's getting tiresome and boring really to hear the same tired opinion parroted over and over again. Haven't missed a home game in 10 years and the opinions on this site are a minority...There are some knowledgeable informed people who actually know and maybe even played the game, so I won't say everybody..smh

I literally have never seen a thread where everyone agreed. There is such a wide range of opinions on this board, and many many knowledgable posters.

Just because someone disagrees with your premise doesn't make them wrong, because the matter at hand is 100% subjective lol.

It doesn't help your cause when you get all butt-hurt when someone disagrees with your opinion.

It doesn't help your cause when you get all butt-hurt when someone disagrees with your opinion.

Not hurt at all...I am flexible in most my view, but this RB subject really gets to me and I'll just agree to disagree with most..If they can't understand the value to the whole offense and how it can help the line and passing game as well then they just don't understand how the game really works..

Not hurt at all...I am flexible in most my view, but this RB subject really gets to me and I'll just agree to disagree with most..If they can't understand the value to the whole offense and how it can help the line and passing game as well then they just don't understand how the game really works..

They know how it helps. They just don't think it's as big a need as you're making it seem. We use a runningback by committe. I don't see why we would use a high round pick on a feature back that's only going to get 40% of the carries.

They know how it helps. They just don't think it's as big a need as you're making it seem. We use a runningback by committe. I don't see why we would use a high round pick on a feature back that's only going to get 40% of the carries.

We have filled many needs through FA and this year more than any we have that luxury of getting that guy....

We have filled many needs through FA and this year more than any we have that luxury of getting that guy....

You said in another thread that you're tired of us being ran on. Wouldn't it make more sense to draft a guy to stop the run?

You said in another thread that you're tired of us being ran on. Wouldn't it make more sense to draft a guy to stop the run?

We brought a bunch of guys in to do just that they may do the job, not sold on Jesse Williams...We will be a lot better against the run next year already...If Cooper or J.Jones are there we probably have to take them, but if not just take a shot cause we may not get a chance to get the top RB in the draft ever again realistically...I have watched him plenty, I really think he is that good...Split the carries between Ballard and Lacy to keep them both fresh all year. Tell me having 2 backs like that won't be a major weapon in bad weather and the playoffs when it counts...

We brought a bunch of guys in to do just that they may do the job, not sold on Jesse Williams...We will be a lot better against the run next year already...If Cooper or J.Jones are there we probably have to take them, but if not just take a shot cause we may not get a chance to get the top RB in the draft ever again realistically...I have watched him plenty, I really think he is that good...Split the carries between Ballard and Lacy to keep them both fresh all year. Tell me having 2 backs like that won't be a major weapon in bad weather and the playoffs when it counts...

I would rather risk Marcus Lattimore in the 4th than take Lacy in the 1st. Remember, Lattimore was being projected as a top 10 pick before his injury. It's a risk for sure, but if he gets back to 100% than we'd be set at RB.

lots of threads about first round RB's and their awesomeness...

I don't understand why people are insinuating that Ballard is not the future. He had a great year behind a terrible line. Let's sew how he improves this year before talking about replacing him with day 1 talent. I'm all for bringing in late round.talent as a change of pace but Ballard is our starter and I'm not ready to call for his replacement.

I predict he will surprise some people.

How ever did we make it before without you to enlighten us?

Before you came along our threads were about such subjects as why the shooting guard never passed to the goalie, and why we couldn't hit home runs when it really counted, or during power plays.

But your work here is done, and I'll speak for the rest of the community when I say you should go enlighten the masses elsewhere. 

You've done us all the service we can take, and the people elsewhere are now in need of your genius.

:worthy:

With the new offensive scheme of pep, we will need another running back and Ballard is a very good back but he did run out of gas against the Ravens last year in the playoffs, to his credit he did most of the work in 2012. D, Brown stays hurt year in year out and Carter is a bust and please give it a rest as for him getting back his confidence, just being honest. Now I'm not saying we need to take a RB in the first round, but I will not discredit our OF if thats the direction they choose to take. We can talk all day about the Bills and Bucs and their selections at RBs in the first round but the truth is they do not have Andrew Luck and they are not the colts.Why our we jugding our success off of what another team has done which both have yet to have the success that the colts have had in the past "why". The funny thing to me is with everyone being so negitive about drafting a RB in the first round, if we go in that direction sure many fans will be upset, but if it turns out to be a great pick everyone will jump on the ban wagan like they were always a supporter. The same was said about E. James in 99 after we drafted Manning in 98 . A strong running game not only takes a lot of presure off of Luck but it helps the D get a breather as well. Not saying we need to take a RB in the 1st rd but wont hurt no matter were we go in the draft, chill out and let the front office do their job because Irsay,Grigs,Luck and Pagano and Arians is why we were 11-4 not us they will make the right choice for the team!!!

.Been counting sheep all day...I only got on here a week ago and it's getting tiresome and boring really to hear the same tired opinion parroted over and over again. Haven't missed a home game in 10 years and the opinions on this site are a minority...There are some knowledgeable informed people who actually know and maybe even played the game, so I won't say everybody..smh

I must say -- even for you -- that is a breathtakingly condescending, smug, and arrogant comment.    And for you, that's saying something.

Hey,  if we're bothering you,  there's no one stopping you from leaving.....   Hope the internet door doesn't hit your *** on that way out!! 

Bye-bye....    You won't be missed!     

How ever did we make it before without you to enlighten us?

Before you came along our threads were about such subjects as why the shooting guard never passed to the goalie, and why we couldn't hit home runs when it really counted, or during power plays.

But your work here is done, and I'll speak for the rest of the community when I say you should go enlighten the masses elsewhere. 

You've done us all the service we can take, and the people elsewhere are now in need of your genius.

:worthy:

Nice, John.....

Very, very nice....!       :thmup:     :thmup:

Did you read my post or are you just going to say the same thing regardless of replies?

Of course a great ground game would be huge for us, but I would rather get someone who fits the scheme, and brings something different from what we have. Donald Brown may not be near Spiller in talent, but he is the same type of player i.e. very dangerous in open space. A good rotation works. As I stated I would prefer a Patriots-like approach where we have different types of backs that can exploit weaknesses in different defenses. It has proven to be effective.

Good RBs do not win football games, they just contribute, like a slot receiver.

Why do you feel a power RB doesn't fit our scheme, a guy like Lacey is much diff than anyone on our roster at the RB position. D Brown is dangerous in space and he and Ballard are a good rotation but first Brown needs to be on the field for an entire season, can't be to affective if your on IR when we need you the most. We are not the Patriots and wont be using their types of approach, we will be running the west coast offence, a heavy power run approach, TEs and a lot of play action outside of Ballard we have Mr. IR in Brown and Mr.fumble in Carter and Ballard can't do it all on his own. Lastly your right a good RB doesn't win games they are just contributers same as every other positions, 11 on 11 team game brother, a good team wins games.

Why do you feel a power RB doesn't fit our scheme, a guy like Lacey is much diff than anyone on our roster at the RB position. D Brown is dangerous in space and he and Ballard are a good rotation but first Brown needs to be on the field for an entire season, can't be to affective if your on IR when we need you the most. We are not the Patriots and wont be using their types of approach, we will be running the west coast offence, a heavy power run approach, TEs and a lot of play action outside of Ballard we have Mr. IR in Brown and Mr.fumble in Carter and Ballard can't do it all on his own. Lastly your right a good RB doesn't win games they are just contributers same as every other positions, 11 on 11 team game brother, a good team wins games.

We need a RB that can pass block and catch out of the backfield. Lacy is mediocre at both of those. He doesn't fit our scheme in those ways.

We need a RB that can pass block and catch out of the backfield. Lacy is mediocre at both of those. He doesn't fit our scheme in those ways.

I agree with you there but thats the plus in having two backs because Ballard can pass block and catch out of the backfield, same as Lacy can run with a level of power,strangth and speed that Ballard can't, thats the whole point in having two backs that complment one another and trufully Lacy just need some coaching, same as Ballard did last year in training camp.

I like Ballard but I am all for the best team possible. If the Colts have a chance to draft a running back in round one that they feel will improve the team I want them to do it. Just because Ballard is a good player doesn't mean you stop trying to improve the poistion. Depth wins in the NFL and you can never have too many good players. Also if Ballard is as good as some on here think he is dont worry even if the Colts go running back round one Ballard will still play.

I will concede, a rb would be nice with so many holes filled, but with the talent likely available at 24 I don't think Lacy is worth a pick here. I would take either Jones, one of the top guards, any of the decent pass rushers, or even a top cab before I even think about Lacy.

I think Stepfan Taylor would be a much better option in the fourth.

I will concede, a rb would be nice with so many holes filled, but with the talent likely available at 24 I don't think Lacy is worth a pick here. I would take either Jones, one of the top guards, any of the decent pass rushers, or even a top cab before I even think about Lacy.

I think Stepfan Taylor would be a much better option in the fourth.

Christine Michael...leveon bell.

I would rather risk Marcus Lattimore in the 4th than take Lacy in the 1st. Remember, Lattimore was being projected as a top 10 pick before his injury. It's a risk for sure, but if he gets back to 100% than we'd be set at RB.

Lattimore would have been a top 5 pick, but he tore all 3 ligaments, and tore the other knee up the year before...I'd take him in the 7th only...Way too much of a risk even in the 4th..Lacy would impact the team more than any player in the draft period...Sometimes you don't go by conventional wisdom, sometimes you go with your gut..

Lattimore would have been a top 5 pick, but he tore all 3 ligaments, and tore the other knee up the year before...I'd take him in the 7th only...Way too much of a risk even in the 4th..Lacy would impact the team more than any player in the draft period...Sometimes you don't go by conventional wisdom, sometimes you go with your gut..

Lacy would not impact our team more than

Dee Milliner

Xavier Rhodes

Desmond Trufant

Chance Warmack

Warford

Jarvis Jones

Mingo

Montgomery

All of those players (and probably a few more I missed) would be a bigger impact than Lacy if they got drafted by the Colts

Lacy would not impact our team more than

Dee Milliner

Xavier Rhodes

Desmond Trufant

Chance Warmack

Warford

Jarvis Jones

Mingo

Montgomery

All of those players (and probably a few more I missed) would be a bigger impact than Lacy if they got drafted by the Colts

I respect your opinion and if we draft the next Revis or Hayden I'm all for it...I've literally given up on trying to convince cornerbackites or guardites anything, it's just not possible...The only players that would have a bigger impact IMO are Cooper, Jarvis Jones, or Austin and that's debateable...If your strictly talking IMPACT...I see Lacy as a Jamal Lewis or Larry Johnson type and I just don't pass on that...I think we are a top flight organization with the perfect program in place to get the best from our players...LACY'S BEST WOULD BE SCARY...

I respect your opinion and if we draft the next Revis or Hayden I'm all for it...I've literally given up on trying to convince cornerbackites or guardites anything, it's just not possible...The only players that would have a bigger impact IMO are Cooper, Jarvis Jones, or Austin and that's debateable...If your strictly talking IMPACT...I see Lacy as a Jamal Lewis or Larry Johnson type and I just don't pass on that...I think we are a top flight organization with the perfect program in place to get the best from our players...

Tavon Austin from WV? No, that's not happening. Hilton is better. Don't believe the Austin hype. Coming from the Big 12 there's no defense played in the Big 12. Hence why Geno threw for 500+ yards vs Baylor. The only 2 teams who remotely play "defense" is OU & Texas (but Texas took a step back last year on defense)

Austin wouldn't touch the field much on our team

Do you honestly feel like you're educating people? I have been preaching for 10 yrs. that RB is the most over rated position in football and there is nobody that will ever change my mind on that because it just happens to be true. Yes there is value in having a good RB, especially if your team is lucky enough to find an Adrian Peterson or Barry sanders, but the simple point of it...is you could also find an Arian Foster who went undrafted.

I do not know how many times I've repeated it, but the O-line is the key to a good running game, the RB does not make the O-line look good, it's the other way around. Their are very very few rare exceptions to this rule and chances are, you're not going to find one of those exceptions. You're lucky enough if you just find a guy that hits his holes well, and can break a few tackles.

Think what you want, but you would find many more executive's in the NFL that believe that the RB position is a very low value position, than you'll find that think they are still a high value pick. And you said in another post that Lacy would make the biggest impact on our team than any other player in the draft. Sorry, but that is total and utter nonsense. 

The thread was made to question all these ridiculous posts I've seen about RB being obsolete and how you can get a GREAT back in the later rounds...It isn't likely and facts back this up all day...I like Ballard, I really do, but he is no All-Pro whatsoever and people seem to act like he is...Spiller and Martin can win you games by themselves and Ballard cannot.

Some people may see your posts as ridiculous. Ever consider that?

Do you honestly feel like you're educating people? I have been preaching for 10 yrs. that RB is the most over rated position in football and there is nobody that will ever change my mind on that because it just happens to be true. Yes there is value in having a good RB, especially if your team is lucky enough to find an Adrian Peterson or Barry sanders, but the simple point of it...is you could also find an Arian Foster who went undrafted.

I do not know how many times I've repeated it, but the O-line is the key to a good running game, the RB does not make the O-line look good, it's the other way around. Their are very very few rare exceptions to this rule and chances are, you're not going to find one of those exceptions. You're lucky enough if you just find a guy that hits his holes well, and can break a few tackles.

Think what you want, but you would find many more executive's in the NFL that believe that the RB position is a very low value position, than you'll find that think they are still a high value pick. And you said in another post that Lacy would make the biggest impact on our team than any other player in the draft. Sorry, but that is total and utter nonsens

If Cooper,Warmack, and J.Jones are gone and we take Lacy I'll be here so you can tell me how stupid Grigson is for making that pick cause I'm sure you will be saying he has no idea what he is doing ...Can't wait.. 

If Cooper,Warmack, and J.Jones are gone and we take Lacy I'll be here so you can tell me how stupid Grigson is for making that pick cause I'm sure you will be saying he has no idea what he is doing ...Can't wait.. 

Seems like you just want people to worship you. "see, I was right, bow down before me". Oh gawd.

You'll be waiting a long time, because if one of the top O-lineman is not available, we''l go OLBer, d-line, or secondary before we'll ever pick Lacy.

I just don't see us taking Eddie Lacy. I see us taking a RB late if we even take one at all. And the ones I see potentially being an Indianapolis Colt are

Stephon Taylor (Obvious reasons)

LeVeon Bell

That Gray guy from Minnesota

The Pitt RB we interviewed

The Vanderbilt RB

Just to name a few. I'm terrible with names but I'm sure most of you guys know who I'm talking about haha