Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This will make all you Rhodes fans excited

bobourret

A LOT of scouts thought that....  

His Pro Day is considered the best of any QB EVER by most of the "experts" ...  

Talent can be evaluated, but a persons heart and desire (once they get some jingle in their pockets) cannot.   Only time can tell.

Just goes to show......

If i remember correctly, didn't McShay say something about JaMarcus Russell would be one of the best QB ever and he would turn the nfl upside down... or something to that effect. I lost any regard for his "predictions" after that!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Rhodes...   I don't mind any pick on the D side of the ball.  

But personally I expect Indy to go OLB with their first pick.    And a S or CB next.....    Unless a WR they really likes pops up.  But the more I think about it I really can see Indy picking up a WR in FA or after cuts in training camp.  

Of course, when I say BPA there are obviously exceptions. I think the Colts needs on offense and defense allow them to be more open to a BPA approach, seeing as we filled many large needs in FA and we don't have many positions that are "set" or "stacked" (QB, TE, that's about it).

I think it'd be foolish going into a draft with the mindset that you will draft heavy on one side of the ball this year and the other next year, essentially ignoring half the draft class for two years.

All good points but I would be remiss to not mention WHY I think there was a clear strategy in place. 

Last year, we went into the draft under very unusual circumstances. We knew we were taking a franchise QB, potentially one of the best to ever come into an NFL draft as a #1 prospect. 

We went QB TE TE WR NT RB WR OT OLB QB

This seems a clear offensive heavy strategy, one that was set beforehand. To me, not the result of BPA with the exception of Allen. I consider the defensive picks to have been flawed, perhaps the result of a perceived BPA situation. 

This year, look for a similar dynamic, only favoring defense. I'm sure they have their eyes on a few new prospective toys for our boy Luck. Either way, I have 100% confidence in my teams FO. 

Talent can be evaluated, but a persons heart and desire (once they get some jingle in their pockets) cannot.   Only time can tell.

Just goes to show......

Yup....

Mike Mayock,  who is practically Sainted around here,  said the same thing.   So did Kiper.   That was close to a consensus view...    best pro day anyone could remember in a long, long time.

The dude had a monster game against a HORRIBLE and once again over rated ND team and then blew everyone away in  his pro day.    The rest is History.

This guy has talent.   He is just plain lazy.    Heck I cannot blame him, if Al Davis threw me 30 or 40 million guaranteed I would imagine I might lose a little "motivation" also.... 

In fact I know I would....    hehehe...

But IF his guy would ever get motivated I could totally see him making a comeback.    But ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yup....

Mike Mayock,  who is practically Sainted around here,  said the same thing.   So did Kiper.   That was close to a consensus view...    best pro day anyone could remember in a long, long time.

All good points but I would be remiss to not mention WHY I think there was a clear strategy in place. 

Last year, we went into the draft under very unusual circumstances. We knew we were taking a franchise QB, potentially one of the best to ever come into an NFL draft as a #1 prospect. 

This seems a clear offensive heavy strategy, one that was set beforehand. To me, not the result of BPA with the exception of Allen. I consider the defensive picks to have been flawed, perhaps the result of a perceived BPA situation. 

This year, look for a similar dynamic, only favoring defense. I'm sure they have their eyes on a few new prospective toys for our boy Luck. Either way, I have 100% confidence in my teams FO. 

I can dig it. I'm still not sold on that being the FO "plan", but you're correct about needing to provide for a rookie QB. I do believe FA gave us much more freedom this year, however, so I don't see this draft being as lopsided on defense as last years was on offense, unless it turns out better defenders keep falling to us.

Plus, we still need to provide Luck with some more talent, we are very thin at OG and WR.

Plus, we still need to provide Luck with some more talent, we are very thin at OG and WR.

I was sooo hoping these issues would be taken care of, via FA, before the draft. Luck took a beating last year. Was hoping OL would be our main FA focus. 

First of all, thanks to the OP for the thread. Those who decided to rip on him without noticing that there was not a second round pick indicated, their posts are looking far from being anything that represents information or quality. It's not unlike calling someone out for misspelling a word, realizing that it wasn't misspelled in the first place.

Reality is, this is a 50% business. those who make the picks and get it right 55% of the time, really stand out. I may misquote, but I think I heard Pat Kirwan say today that of the last 20 SB winning QB's, only 11 were first rounders....the other 9 were littered across the landscape. Which is more stupid? One team picking Jmarc Russell as the #1, or 32 teams passing on Tom Brady 5-6 times?

While this is only a "mock draft" I'm still sticking with we pick an offensive lineman with 2 of our picks. I just don't see Grigson being an ex lineman not understanding the importance of a solid oline.

Now, I'm probably wrong..... but I'm sticking with this until proven otherwise

First of all, thanks to the OP for the thread. Those who decided to rip on him without noticing that there was not a second round pick indicated, their posts are looking far from being anything that represents information or quality. It's not unlike calling someone out for misspelling a word, realizing that it wasn't misspelled in the first place.

Reality is, this is a 50% business. those who make the picks and get it right 55% of the time, really stand out. I may misquote, but I think I heard Pat Kirwan say today that of the last 20 SB winning QB's, only 11 were first rounders....the other 9 were littered across the landscape. Which is more stupid? One team picking Jmarc Russell as the #1, or 32 teams passing on Tom Brady 5-6 times?

Umm, that's a tough question. But I'm gonna say 31 teams passing on Brady. Even though he hasn't won a SB since we took Vinny from them but hey who's counting?

On Point; What random journalists have to say is no more relevant than the guesses in our own websites draft forum. However, I believe we WILL go defense with pick #24. Every indication shows me we had a clear 2-year plan in place last year. Draft heavy on offense in year 1 of the rebuild. go defense in year 2.

I'd say the "go heavy on defense in year 2" occurred in FA this year. I still think OG or WR makes a lot of sense for the first pick (at #24 if a top guard slides, or 5-15 picks lower in a in a trade scenario -- picking up a 3rd). Of course if a great value on defense slides to #24 then maybe you can't pass it up (e.g. Jarvis Jones).

Just goes to show......

Very true! it kinda makes me think about Rob Morris. he was considered the #1 LB of the draft and Polian drafted him. didn't work out as well as expected, although Morris wanted to play, unlike J.Russell.

Not sure why people continue to think Grigson is not telling the truth about taking the BPA. And when I say BPA, it has to be applied with a bit of logic.

Very true! it kinda makes me think about Rob Morris. he was considered the #1 LB of the draft and Polian drafted him. didn't work out as well as expected, although Morris wanted to play, unlike J.Russell.

I will always remember Morris fondly for playing excellent at OLB during the colts SB run in 06. Unfortunately, he wrecked his knee the following year in training camp....

I will always remember Morris fondly for playing excellent at OLB during the colts SB run in 06. Unfortunately, he wrecked his knee the following year in training camp....

Morris was always a very non-flashy, non-sexy, yet boringly solid LB. Good guy to have on the team.

we have the option to get allen or hopkins and we go rhodes. i dont think so

If we do draft Rhodes, Cassius Vaughn will immediately mess himself. I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if we take a DB in the first round. You can't really have enough CBs and ours tend to get nicked up. There is always the chance we won't choose to afford Vontae Davis.

not even close...   Morris had a respectable career.     And a relatively long one by normal standards.  

Yep, I remember that season like yesterday.     When Dungy replaced Gilbert Grabner with Morris that was the move that turned this D around IMO.     Sanders coming back was HUGE also but Morris just does not get enough credit for his play at OLB that year.

And then "poof" as fast as it started....     it ended.    For Rob and Booger.

Too bad Rob and Booger may have had a few really good years left in the tank.       A couple really big losses.

If we do draft Rhodes, Cassius Vaughn will immediately mess himself. I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if we take a DB in the first round. You can't really have enough CBs and ours tend to get nicked up. There is always the chance we won't choose to afford Vontae Davis.

there would be a riot if he doesnt get resigned

Let's not do this. 

This is a time of year for excitement, not infighting among fans. 

We've had enough fighting in recent years. 

Thank you ruksak. I respect this post for it's truthful simplicity. Disagreements about our team's direction is fine, but minor mistakes is an entirely different matter. As fans, we all approach our team from different areas of interest or expertise: salary cap, draft picks, locker room chemistry, x's & o's formations, & former & present field generals. I'm no NFL guru, but I respect those individuals who are. At any rate, thanks for reminding me that we all just NFL fans at heart & there is no need to condemn anyone, act self righteous, & sling mud back & forth. I appreciate that.  :thmup:

Several thoughts.....

The original poster shows you a two-round mock draft to give you Colts news and a surprising number of people who call themselves Colts fans insult the poster because we don't have a 2nd round pick?!?

WTH?!?

Who gives a rip?!? The person is doing you a favor and you insult him? If I were a moderator I'd give all of you who did so a warning point, but I'm sure that just me. I didn't get much sleep and I'm feeling grumpy, but I thought it was spectacularly rude and mean of all who did. And for what.

OK the last post I saw before leaving work was itmustbejj's post at 4:58pm. Were there a bunch of posts after that and before this reply from you about us not having a 2nd round pick that have since been deleted? Because if not then there was only one person, the first to reply to the op, that made a negative comment directed at the op about us not having a 2nd round pick. Or am i missing something?

The people pointing out we don't have a 2nd round pick need to read te draft results first. It shows Miami having our pick.

The OP just posted McShay's two round mock and despite the fact we don't have a second pick the NFL has not canceled the second round of the draft.

Well I already asked ncf about who all these people are pointing out we don't have a 2nd round pick are, but if you can shed some light on that please feel free.

To the mock though (and yes thank you to the op for posting it :) ) I do like Rhodes and would be all for having him on the team. Based on the way this mock played out my top 2 personal preferences at that spot would be Rhodes or a trade down to around Arizona's spot and get damontre Moore plus extra picks :)

OK the last post I saw before leaving work was itmustbejj's post at 4:58pm. Were there a bunch of posts after that and before this reply from you about us not having a 2nd round pick that have since been deleted? Because if not then there was only one person, the first to reply to the op, that made a negative comment directed at the op about us not having a 2nd round pick. Or am i missing something?

Well I already asked ncf about who all these people are pointing out we don't have a 2nd round pick are, but if you can shed some light on that please feel free.

It was just the one person, NCF got a little carried away.

My first round picks feedback would be great

1. Luke Joeckel KC

2. Dion Jordan JAC

3. Sharrif Floyd OAK

4. Eric Fisher PHI

5. Ezekiel Ansah DET

6. Dee Milliner CLE

7. Lane Johnson ARZ

8. Geno Smith BUF

9. Arthur Brown NYJ

10. Jonathan Cooper TEN

11. Chance Warmack

12. Xavier Rhodes MIA

13. Bjoern Warner TB

14. Sheldon Richardson CAR

15. Kenny Vaccaro NO

16. Cordarrelle Patterson STL

17. Jarvis Jones PIT

18. Barkevious Mingo DAL

19. D.J Fluker NYG

20. Alec Ogletree CHI

21. Eric Reid CIN

22. Keenan Allen STL

23. Star Lotuleli MIN

24. DeAndre Hopkins IND GO COLTS!

25. Desmond Trufant MIN

26. Giovani Bernard GB

27. Justin Hunter HOU

28. Jonathan Hankins DEN

29. Damontre Moore NE

30. Tyler Eifert ATL

31.  Datone Jones SF

32. Kevin Minter BAL

1. Luke Joeckel KC

2. Dion Jordan JAC

3. Sharrif Floyd OAK

4. Eric Fisher PHI

5. Ezekiel Ansah DET

6. Dee Milliner CLE

7. Lane Johnson ARZ

8. Geno Smith BUF

9. Arthur Brown NYJ

10. Jonathan Cooper TEN

11. Chance Warmack

12. Xavier Rhodes MIA

13. Bjoern Warner TB

15. Kenny Vaccaro NO

17. Jarvis Jones PIT

18. Barkevious Mingo DAL

19. D.J Fluker NYG

20. Alec Ogletree CHI

21. Eric Reid CIN

22. Keenan Allen STL

23. Star Lotuleli MIN

25. Desmond Trufant MIN

26. Giovani Bernard GB

27. Justin Hunter HOU

28. Jonathan Hankins DEN

29. Damontre Moore NE

30. Tyler Eifert ATL

31. Datone Jones SF

32. Kevin Minter BAL

I like most of your picks, but Arthur Brown is a huge reach and there's no way Sheldon Richardson goes before Star. Other than that I think it's pretty good.

Thank you ruksak. I respect this post for it's truthful simplicity. Disagreements about our team's direction is fine, but minor mistakes is an entirely different matter. As fans, we all approach our team from different areas of interest or expertise: salary cap, draft picks, locker room chemistry, x's & o's formations, & former & present field generals. I'm no NFL guru, but I respect those individuals who are. At any rate, thanks for reminding me that we all just NFL fans at heart & there is no need to condemn anyone, act self righteous, & sling mud back & forth. I appreciate that.  :thmup:

No, continue slinging mud! Makes everything more interesting. :D

1. Luke Joeckel KC

2. Dion Jordan JAC

3. Sharrif Floyd OAK

4. Eric Fisher PHI

5. Ezekiel Ansah DET

6. Dee Milliner CLE

7. Lane Johnson ARZ

8. Geno Smith BUF

9. Arthur Brown NYJ

10. Jonathan Cooper TEN

11. Chance Warmack

12. Xavier Rhodes MIA

13. Bjoern Warner TB

15. Kenny Vaccaro NO

17. Jarvis Jones PIT

18. Barkevious Mingo DAL

19. D.J Fluker NYG

20. Alec Ogletree CHI

21. Eric Reid CIN

22. Keenan Allen STL

23. Star Lotuleli MIN

25. Desmond Trufant MIN

26. Giovani Bernard GB

27. Justin Hunter HOU

28. Jonathan Hankins DEN

29. Damontre Moore NE

30. Tyler Eifert ATL

31.  Datone Jones SF

32. Kevin Minter BAL

Looks legit to me.

The Colts won't get the 31 and the 34 for our 24....   it's way, WAY too much.

The standard draft points chart shows that to trade down from 24 to 31,  we would likely get one of San Fran's two 3rd round picks.     I think they are 82 and 90....    if it's the lower one,  we might also get a 5 or 6 added in...

But no way in the world would the 49ers give up a low 1 and a high 2 to move up 7 spots....     Not happening.

I'd take that deal.