Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dumervil Signs with Baltimore

bayone

Although exact terms of the deal are not immediate, we will keep you up-to-date as information becomes available.

This likely means that the Broncos will sign either free agent defensive end Dwight Freeney or John Abraham.

Of course, there is always the off chance that Denver has decided that it is next man up and will simply expect Derek Wolfe or Robert Ayers to step in.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/24/4139968/here-comes-the-doom-dumervil-signs-with-baltimore

Dumervil chose to move on in large part because of the personal pitches he received from his former linebacker's coach Don "Wink" Martindale, new pass-rushing partner Terrell Suggs and head coach John Harbaugh.

Martindale was the Broncos' linebackers coach in 2009 when Dumervil recorded a career-best 17 sacks that led the NFL. Dumervil played outside linebacker in what was a new 3-4 defensive system for the Broncos that year. He will play outside linebacker again, with Suggs on the other side, in Baltimore's 3-4 defense.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22861665/elvis-dumervil-agrees-contract-baltimore-ravens

freeney left denver with no contract

But now that this occurred Broncos may give him or Abraham a firm offer

Both probably were told what was expected of them is signed with Broncos, money probably discussed, but sure they were told will have to see what Doom Does

I'm not an expert on players or personnel but I think Freeney's best option would be on team that plays on a carpet.  His technique, footwork and all seems suited for the carpet. 

True , esp when field gets frozen in late winter , but he or Abraham could help teach a rookie

What? His agent screwed it up, the Broncos cut him. He is a victim, IMO. And I'm glad he is going to a 3-4 where he belongs.

Victim? Pretty strong words for someone getting PAID to PLAY football. It was about the money. So while Doom sat and waited to sign the contract last minute.. which he did not do come to find out.. he's a 'victim'? Na. I dont buy it.

Dumbervill's agent works for him.   Dumbervill knew the scenario.    Dumbervill was the one telling his agent to "wait" ...    Wait for what?   It's black and white, to wait until the last minute is just down right stupid in this age of electronics.      Anything can go wrong.

Wait until ONE minute to go on the deadline and then decide to send a FAX?  really?    Dumbervill was trying to pull a fast one on Denver and catch them with their pants down.   Snooze you lose, can't wait to see how much he signs for.    

If this player was still considered a "gamechanger" Denver would have not hesitated to pay him.    But he is small, approaching 30 yrs. of age, and does not come up big in big moments.    

These type rushers are reliant on quickness, and that is the first thing to go when they get older.    Denver is not crying over this loss.

What? His agent screwed it up, the Broncos cut him. He is a victim, IMO. And I'm glad he is going to a 3-4 where he belongs.

Victim? Pretty strong words for someone getting PAID to PLAY football. It was about the money. So while Doom sat and waited to sign the contract last minute.. which he did not do come to find out.. he's a 'victim'? Na. I dont buy it.

Just because he doesn't come back to Denver, doesn't mean he is a tool.  I think he has the right to take the best opportunity, as he so determines.  To some, it is more important to win a Super Bowl.  To others, it's more important to live/play somewhere they grew up.  Some want the money.  He has his reasons.

Dumbervill's agent works for him.   Dumbervill knew the scenario.    Dumbervill was the one telling his agent to "wait" ...    Wait for what?   It's black and white, to wait until the last minute is just down right stupid in this age of electronics.      Anything can go wrong.

Wait until ONE minute to go on the deadline and then decide to send a FAX?  really?    Dumbervill was trying to pull a fast one on Denver and catch them with their pants down.   Snooze you lose, can't wait to see how much he signs for.    

If this player was still considered a "gamechanger" Denver would have not hesitated to pay him.    But he is small, approaching 30 yrs. of age, and does not come up big in big moments.    

These type rushers are reliant on quickness, and that is the first thing to go when they get older.    Denver is not crying over this loss.

Wow. And I thought Pats fans were bitter over losing Welker. At least we admit he still has gas left in the tank and will help Denver...

To suggest the loss of Dumerville is not huge is just plain naive. The guy is still in his prime and worked well in Denver will Miller. Freeny is not the same human tornado he once was. I like Abraham a lot and hope the pats sign him.

Either way, Denver just got significantly weaker on the side of the ball they need the most help. In the end you can thank Josh McDaniels.

Me thinks the ravens demise has been greatly exaggerated

Yes, it has. First they beat the Broncs in the playoffs and now in FA. But Doom won't solve all their problems but it is a step in the right direction.

I bet Manning wishes he signed with the niners even more. He would have Boldin to throw to and the potential of signing Revis with about 10 draft picks left over. The rich really do get richer or maybe just better mgmt wins in the end.

Everyone is overreacting. The Broncos will be fine. They sign either Freeney/Abraham to play on passing down and use their current crop along with a 1st or 2nd round DE from this draft (Carradine, Hunt etc) to play the run.

Everyone is overreacting. The Broncos will be fine. They sign either Freeney/Abraham to play on passing down and use their current crop along with a 1st or 2nd round DE from this draft (Carradine, Hunt etc) to play the run.

Yep. And DL was not a need until now. Have to sign a FA and use a draft pick. That hurts considering the rest of the D needs help.

Yes, it has. First they beat the Broncs in the playoffs and now in FA. But Doom won't solve all their problems but it is a step in the right direction.

I bet Manning wishes he signed with the niners even more. He would have Boldin to throw to and the potential of signing Revis with about 10 draft picks left over. The rich really do get richer or maybe just better mgmt wins in the end.

Meh, If the broncos sign Abraham I don't think losing Dumerville hurts them much...if at all.

D Thomas >>> Boldin

Meh, If the broncos sign Abraham I don't think losing Dumerville hurts them much...if at all.

D Thomas >>> Boldin

Abraham is five years older. And not nearly the same pass rusher as Doom but better against the run. I do like Abraham though.

Boldin is way more clutch than Thomas but really the niners are just so stacked. I will never understand why Manning didn't sign there. I think Steve Young is still crying over it.

I like it.

I want Denver's D to decline even more. Makes the AFC road a bit easier. Baltimore could surprise though getting younger/faster on D for all we know, they were darn near ready to hand out walkers last year at Ravens practice.....

Yep. And DL was not a need until now. Have to sign a FA and use a draft pick. That hurts considering the rest of the D needs help.

Meh, it's not really a concern. Primarily because at the beginning of FA things pointed toward getting a WR early in the draft. The Welker signing solved that. They don't need to spend a draftpick on a WR like they planned on in at the beginning. They addressed the other week point on O too (Kuper, Ramírez) by signing top guard Vazquez. So really, the Broncos were always gonna use their picks on the D, maybe a RB at some point (depends on Willis Mcgahee), so it doesn't really hurt them that much.

Abraham is five years older. And not nearly the same pass rusher as Doom but better against the run. I do like Abraham though.

Boldin is way more clutch than Thomas but really the niners are just so stacked. I will never understand why Manning didn't sign there. I think Steve Young is still crying over it.

I guess you missed Thomas winning the playoff game for Denver vs Pitt couple years back.

Abraham's age doesn't really matter at this point since Denver's window is small. In a 43 Abraham is just as good as Dumervil...as long as he stays healthy.

Surprising signing for sure.

If I were a FA, I wouldn't go to a Ravens team that is "Rebuilding" They lost what 6 or so starters this year? Ouch. Doom gave up his best chance to win for sure, Even though the Colts will best the Broncos in this year's AFC Championship game, he still would have had a better shot :)

I doubt he ever was even offered a contract. That team was just counting the weeks to starting Kap. He worked out for them but I don't think they necessarily wanted him.

The first move the Ravens have made in awhile I really don't like. I hold Newsome in high esteem, but he overpaid on this one. Dumervil's a one dimensional, inconsistent pass rusher who offers nothing in the run game and is going on 30. If Baltimore wants him for 5 years, they can have him. 

I doubt he ever was even offered a contract. That team was just counting the weeks to starting Kap. He worked out for them but I don't think they necessarily wanted him.

Let Harbaugh tell it they were going to "stick with Smith" all the way, but I think he would have been traded had PM decided to play in San Francisco. Kaepernick learning behind Manning for 3 or 4 years would make him a valuable asset in the 49ers future SB aspirations as well.