Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After some careful thought..

Indeee

I have concluded that Griggs and Paggs are trying to build a team. I know duh.. right, but actually I believe thet are trying to assemble a bunch of guys that might not be superstars but guys that might gell together as a complete unit. We have a couple superstars but mostly in some opinions cast off or second tier guys. I dont know it just seems to me their plan all along was to attempt to geneate chemistry instead of grabbing big name guys that would dominate a certain position while possibly not gelling with the rest of the unit.. just my thought

I have concluded that Griggs and Paggs are trying to build a team. I know duh.. right, but actually I believe thet are trying to assemble a bunch of guys that might not be superstars but guys that might gell together as a complete unit. We have a couple superstars but mostly in some opinions cast off or second tier guys. I dont know it just seems to me their plan all along was to attempt to geneate chemistry instead of grabbing big name guys that would dominate a certain position while possibly not gelling with the rest of the unit.. just my thought

Ironically, that's what Grigson has been saying all along. Some of us still assumed that he'd bring in a couple high profile guys, the popular free agents. Cherilus and Landry are highly rated, but weren't the biggest names out there.

But looking at his moves, it seems like he believes in his scouting (his whole team of scouts, not just his own eyes), and he believes that he can put together a group of guys who fit as a unit. And he can do it without pursuing the biggest names.

I like his approach. Time will tell whether he has a good eye for talent, and the jury is still out on the coaching staff as well. But the approach is sound, and both Grigson and Pagano seem indifferent to the criticism. They're content to stick to their vision.

Yep. Grigs said all along that they weren't going after the big name guys unless everyone agreed they needed them. You're correct, I also think they value a players personality almost as much as their talent and team is their #1 priority.

Some guys may not be all that, but I'm betting most are.

I dont think anyone on the team will be the type of person, to be a highlight on the evening news for getting into trouble with the law, unless its Mac. Hey it was hot and he needed to cool off. But I think chemistry is a large part of a team atmosphere.I hope the "JELLING" continues with all the new FAs and draft picks. Love to get our division title back homewhere it belongs. Ty Texans for keeping it warm but we will take it back now. This BEAST is HUNGRY!!! Lets HUNT!!!

I'm more than happy with the signings we've made. While some of the contracts *may* of been a little higher than what most of us would like, I think everything done so far has been great. I cannot wait to see how all these signings play out over this coming season. So excited for some Colts football!

I think all are signing are good besides sidbury the rest are all good signing and we had 3 great signing in RJF landry and cherilus those are the best  and ive always liked toler and ive walden ever since he became a packer know he with bleed blue :blueshoe:           :number1:

I think all are signing are good besides sidbury the rest are all good signing and we had 3 great signing in RJF landry and cherilus those are the best  and ive always liked toler and ive walden ever since he became a packer know he with bleed blue :blueshoe:           :number1:

Sidbury came at bottom dollars 715k right.Not bad for a backup with experience dont you think so?

I'm more than happy with the signings we've made. While some of the contracts *may* of been a little higher than what most of us would like, I think everything done so far has been great. I cannot wait to see how all these signings play out over this coming season. So excited for some Colts football!

Same like Ive said in other posts this may be the first year in a long long time,that Iam more excited to see our Def play.How many years have we depended on just Offense?Now we have a Defense coach maybe just maybe we will have a great def.:):)

Something to keep in mind also is that this team was gutted once Grigs did the evaluations.  He had so many holes to fill not just one spot.  Considering the number of draft picks that he hit on last year, you have to really like the ability to judge talent at this point.  Kuharsky had a comment on one of the signings, maybe Walden, just saying that he basically saw "fit" more important than if they may have overpaid.  I also think they approach they used lets him go after BPA as opposed to reaching for a need.  Doubtful that all these additions pan out but if he hits on 3 or 4 I would say that would be decent.  Worst case scenario, if none of these guys stick, what effect does it have on the cap going forward?  That answer should come somewhat soon I hope if Chapel from the Star or Kuharsky from ESPN can peel the layers back.

I raise my eyebrow at some of these deals but the only way to truly critique them is week 4-5 into the season when they all know the playbook, and they all know what Chuck wants exactly. 

I'm holding judgement until then. 

He is trying to fill as many gaps as possible, within cap budget, without risking huge pots of cash on individual players. A very sensible, unflashy and safe approach. We, as fans, are also in danger of over analysing everything.

If we can go 11-5 with the tatty bunch of rogues we swept up for peanuts, he's banking on a subtle and well directed upgrade programme to take us even further.

Walden seems to be the most criticized of all the signings mostly because he was named Worst LInebacker in the league or something.  (How have the Colts LBs never received that award?).  Pagano keeps saying that he sets the edge as good as anybody.    Freeney was only good rushing the QB. He was terrible against the run.   I suppose we have someone now who is only good at setting the edge.

Some fans are doubting the free agents that were signed.  Keep in mind all of these players will be coached up all through training camp and pre season games. There will be a lot more players come after draft and the walk ons. Kudos to Irsay for letting Grigson and his scouts do their job. We started last season with 36 new players and I wouldn't be shocked to see more than that come week 1. I say GO COLTS to all of the fans.

Same like Ive said in other posts this may be the first year in a long long time,that Iam more excited to see our Def play.How many years have we depended on just Offense?Now we have a Defense coach maybe just maybe we will have a great def. :):)

agreed 110%... really fired up to see how our defensive unit looks...

I definitely think we payed just a tad too much for some of these guys (I'm looking at you Whalden.) I'm not upset though, because if I am thinking correctly won't Luck's rookie contract be up at all the same time all of these other guys are going to be ending there current deals? That would mean that we will have a huge cap space available if we continue to built through the draft and not be sentimental to the players we love. So basically, what I mean is we would have plenty of room to sign Luck to his first huge vet contract and not run into the issue that the Ravens are having right now where they won't be able to keep anyone EXCEPT the quarterback. 

The truth is we Prolly overpaid but so did the rest of the teams that were aggressive !! I think we will come out pretty good overall I personally like thomas at guard to be our overall best pickup in my opinion he is solid . As for walden we certainly overpaid anyone on here can argue until there blue in the face there's no one in the league that would have give him that kind of contract so I say good for him and his agent however if he turns out to be very good then grigson looks like a genius in all fairness that's prolly not gonna happen I think we will pick up one more player not alot of money just a solid pick up but I'm proud of what we did this off season we tried to make our team better and I truly believe we have !

I think the contracts were pretty eyebrow-raising

That's the nature of the NFL now. A lot of teams "overpaid" for players. But if we didn't step up to the plate, someone else may have taken them. They know more than me or anyone here, so I'm not going to criticize.