Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats resign Talib.

House

Smart move. But last year it was their offense that cost them the season.

Not so fast. Ironically it was Talib getting knocked out early in the game that softened the defense. Prior, both defenses were shutting down the offenses pretty good.

Not so fast. Ironically it was Talib getting knocked out early in the game that softened the defense. Prior, both defenses were shutting down the offenses pretty good.

Yes, but you can't assume that 13 points will win a playoff game.

Yes, but you can't assume that 13 points will win a playoff game.

No but its all relative, you make more stops on defense and get the ball back...etc.

All I'm saying is the defense dropped off when he went out pretty early in the game. Now it might have dropped off anyway or not..all speculation.

With good defenses you will have low scoring games though..just what defense plays better is all.

Smart move. But last year it was their offense that cost them the season.

Pats had the number one ranked offense last season. You can't overract to one game. Ravens D only let up an average of 14pts per game in their three AFC games so they were playing lights out. If the Pats D had played better, the O gets more possessions and it is a different game. You can't have the 31st ranked pass defense and expect to win late in the playoffs. D is the issue and Talib is a money sign for this team. They are having a pretty solid FA period this year. Resigning the right guys and adding some new pieces. 

They never really commit to anyone do they?

They commit. Last year they signed two second year tight ends to mulitple year, multi-million dollar contracts. Gronk is highest paid TE as well. They also signed mankins to a huge deal and Mayo. And just a few weeks ago they committed 33 mil to Brady in guarantees with another 24 mil guaranteed if he is healthly at ages 38, 39, 40.

People think they are not comitted because they let guys lose when there is still tread on the tires and they very rarely overpay for anyone that is not a top tier player. They almost always get the guys they want at their price. Shrew business men and the best capolgists in the NFL today. Believe it is not just Belichick. The whole front office is great at managing the cap.

They never really commit to anyone do they?

It seems like the Patriots are always able to sign whoever they want at whatever price they want. Well, everyone except Welker.

They value certain players and they don't really budge much from that, but they have paid serious money out to a lot of players. They made Mankins the richest Guard in NFL history. They made Seymour the highest paid defensive player in the NFL on his first big deal. They made Vince Wilfork the highest paid nose tackle ever. Jerod Mayo is on a top of the market contract, or at least was at the time when he signed it. Despite what the media will often say, the Patriots do pay big money to BIG TIME players, not flashes in the pan.

You have to have a few super star's as pillars to build off of, but then you have to have a very solid, deep middle class to package into the game plan and rotate in throughout the game. They also have to be capable players in case they're asked to come in as a starter due to injury, which is prevalent in the NFL. It's a very intelligent way to run an organization in the NFL, however it does suck from a fan perspective sometimes, as was the case for Welker. I really am surprised that they wouldn't match the $12M/2YR contract the Broncos offered, but they must feel strongly that they can get good production from that position with other players at or below that amount. At the end of the day, I know Kraft isn't cheap at all, they spend to the cap every single year and they will give out mega contracts once in awhile on special players in the prime of their careers, and they're always making decisions that are in the best interests of the franchise to ensure that they'll continue to have success in the future as well.

I love it because I have a passionate interest in the entire NFL and how it operates at every single level, whereas for people who are fans but mostly just watch on Sundays and participate in Fantasy Football or whatever may be ignorant to the mechanisms that are in place and have to be maneuvered in the NFL in order to continue to produce a quality product each year.

I would say that a good majority of us that take the time to post in forums during the offseason and have these types of discussions are all pretty passionate about the NFL, or at least about our respective teams to be sure. Its always a lot of fun to have intelligent conversation regarding all of these topics, and I'm glad to be spending some of my off season with all of you die hards!

Colts are better, I'd like to see the pats make a cap with as many hall of famers/Defensive MVPs/NFL MVPs/pro bowlers as the Colts did. Sanders, Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday, Edge, Glenn, Freeney, Mathis, Clark

That's the whole point. Even with a star studded team you only got one ring. Not enough left over $$$ to field a complete team 1-53. Pats know how to sign enough stars combined with quality, mid-tier guys to win and contend for championships every year. I would certainly not knock Indy though but Polian's strategy was certainly flawed. Trying to build a team around the QB just does not produce the Lombardi's. Looks like Elway is falling prey to the same philiosphy - signing a $6mil slot man when the team has other glaring needs especially defensively is part of the Manning curse. Hard not to want to stack that side of the ball for him given how talented he is but in the end it produces more one and done's than deep playoff runs.

Colts are better, I'd like to see the pats make a cap with as many hall of famers/Defensive MVPs/NFL MVPs/pro bowlers as the Colts did. Sanders, Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday, Edge, Glenn, Freeney, Mathis, Clark

Sorry,  but the Colts aren't even close to managing the cap as the Patriots are.

Put it this way.     We just went through a season with $40 Million in Dead Cap money.   Money we couldn't spend because it was committed to players no longer on the roster.

When was the last time that happened to the Patriots??    Ever??

They've sustained greatness for a decade or more.    In a salary cap world,  that's incredibly hard.    Part of the reason Polian deserves more credit than some here are willing to give him.

Sorry,  but the Colts aren't even close to managing the cap as the Patriots are.

Put it this way.     We just went through a season with $40 Million in Dead Cap money.   Money we couldn't spend because it was committed to players no longer on the roster.

They've sustained greatness for a decade or more.    In a salary cap world,  that's incredibly hard.    Part of the reason Polian deserves more credit than some here are willing to give him.

I think we had dead cap once a long time ago. It might have been get this player off the team for discipline and eat the cap.

I think the Colts just took a different approach than NE by keeping high class talent. Polian did keep it under the cap to his credit..abeit at the expense of a defense.

If we kept Manning it all still fit. If anything it's a credit to us that we can chop Manning, take that hit, and still have a playoff team. It takes cap-wizards to pull that off. 1 season doesn't negate a decade and a half of fielding a roster with 5-6 hall of famers.

That's the whole point. Even with a star studded team you only got one ring. Not enough left over $$$ to field a complete team 1-53. Pats know how to sign enough stars combined with quality, mid-tier guys to win and contend for championships every year. I would certainly not knock Indy though but Polian's strategy was certainly flawed. Trying to build a team around the QB just does not produce the Lombardi's. Looks like Elway is falling prey to the same philiosphy - signing a $6mil slot man when the team has other glaring needs especially defensively is part of the Manning curse. Hard not to want to stack that side of the ball for him given how talented he is but in the end it produces more one and done's than deep playoff runs.

What are you talking about, I literally named multiple players, offensive and defensive MVPs, future hall of famers and you try to say we only paid one guy? Who else has won more consecutive division championships and more regular season games from 2000-2010 than us? Congrats, you guys won only 2 more superbowls with the aid of spygate.

Also I think the Patriots are known for bickering with players over contracts; Samuel, Givens, Law, Branch, Welker. Maybe if they weren't disrupting their core and leaving guys wondering if they'd be back or not they wouldn't be dropping passes and the Pats might win those games against the Giants.

That's the whole point. Even with a star studded team you only got one ring. Not enough left over $$$ to field a complete team 1-53. Pats know how to sign enough stars combined with quality, mid-tier guys to win and contend for championships every year. I would certainly not knock Indy though but Polian's strategy was certainly flawed. Trying to build a team around the QB just does not produce the Lombardi's. Looks like Elway is falling prey to the same philiosphy - signing a $6mil slot man when the team has other glaring needs especially defensively is part of the Manning curse. Hard not to want to stack that side of the ball for him given how talented he is but in the end it produces more one and done's than deep playoff runs.

I believe the "no player bigger than the team" mantra started after/during the dynasty run.

So the blue print for the Super Bowl teams wasn't the same one being used now.

If we kept Manning it all still fit. If anything it's a credit to us that we can chop Manning, take that hit, and still have a playoff team. It takes cap-wizards to pull that off. 1 season doesn't negate a decade and a half of fielding a roster with 5-6 hall of famers.

Hey.....  you and I agree....   completely!    I've been saying that loud and clear.

I was only trying to say that as good as the Colts have been in cap management,  I think the Pats have been bettere.

Just my view of things....

I believe the "no player bigger than the team" mantra started after/during the dynasty run.

So the blue print for the Super Bowl teams wasn't the same one being used now.

No it was before...right when Belichick took over..and the first causualty of "me me" was....darn forget his name now, talented WR.

Remember they were the first to come out as a team 01 SB.

BB was kinda using the cap a year or two before it became law thus ahead of the curve while many teams tried to borrow on it and went into Cap H..most notably Tenn 20 mil which held them back for a good 4 years.

No it was before...right when Belichick took over..and the first causualty of "me me" was....darn forget his name now, talented WR.

BB was kinda using the cap a year or two before it became law thus ahead of the curve while many teams tried to borrow on it and went into Cap H..most notably Tenn 20 mil which held them back for a good 4 years.

I don't remember it being as prominent then as it is now. Though I wasn't wholly concentrated on the inner workings of the Pats back then either.

But I will say Bill always believed he didn't need mega star talent to have a winning team. So that "blue collar" type mentality was definitely around back then too.

She caught the first touchdown thrown by Tom Brady. Terry Glenn

What are you talking about, I literally named multiple players, offensive and defensive MVPs, future hall of famers and you try to say we only paid one guy? Who else has won more consecutive division championships and more regular season games from 2000-2010 than us? Congrats, you guys won only 2 more superbowls with the aid of spygate.

Also I think the Patriots are known for bickering with players over contracts; Samuel, Givens, Law, Branch, Welker. Maybe if they weren't disrupting their core and leaving guys wondering if they'd be back or not they wouldn't be dropping passes and the Pats might win those games against the Giants.

Calm down, why so defensive? Re-read my post. I was not saying that Manning was the only one getting paid but that Polian's philosphy to build around him was flawed. Most of all your money went to the offensive side of the ball was my point which at the time seemed like the right thing given how good Manning was and still is. That being said, when you ran into stout defenses like the Pats in 03,04 and the steelers in 05 you were out muscled and Manning and the O struggled as a result.

Again, I would put the Colts right behind the Pats as an org that is run very well from top to bottom. I am amazed to read so many negative posts up here about Polian. I was always a fan of his.

But in terms of the 2000 decade, the Pats were named Team of the Decade by SI so there really is no debate. 3 rings, 4 trips to the SB and one flukiest catch in NFL history away from a perfect season. In the end, a front office is judged by how far a team goes in the playoffs and rings. It is not even close btw the Pats and Colts. You can spew spygate all you want as that is what every hater eventually restorts to when they don't have an arguement left. Like I said, Colts were a solid #2 behind Pats in 2000's and I love what they are doing now. For all the heat Irasy took last off-season getting rid of Manning and blowing up the coaches/GM, he obviously did the right thing. Luck is the real deal and already has the Colts in position to contend for years to come.

In terms of your bickering comment. The fact is this, the Pats rarely if ever overpay for middle tier talent or a player that was once top level talent who is aging. That is part of their philosphy and makes them so good every year at building their team. They never pay for past performance but for future performance which is why last off-season they signed Gronk and Hernandez to huge contracts after their second year in the league. They also gave mega money to Mayo the season before that and make Wilfork the highest paid nose tackle a few years ago when he was in his prime. They could care less about bickers or media squabbles when it comes to building the team. That is what makes them so good.

Sure. And remember the Pats lost Brady for a season and still went 11-5 with Cassell who had never even started a game in college. Again, just proves my point that Polian built the team around Manning which is why it only won 2 games when he was out for the season while the Pats won 11 and didn't make the playoffs because of tie-breakers.

Sure. And remember the Pats lost Brady for a season and still went 11-5 with Cassell who had never even started a game in college. Again, just proves my point that Polian built the team around Manning which is why it only won 2 games when he was out for the season while the Pats won 11 and didn't make the playoffs because of tie-breakers.

You're not even talking about the same season as me. When Manning missed a season he was still on our team, thus not dead cap. It's hard to talk to you because you jump around not even replying to what you're reading properly.

You says SB wins are the only thing that determines how good a Front Office is at managing the cap, so why don't you put the Ravens, Steelers, Giants in front of us, they all won more rings than us since 2000. You can't just say 3 SB wins, we're the best at everything about the Patriots, considering they only have 1 more than those teams and needed Spygate to do it.

They could care less about bickers or media squabbles when it comes to building the team. That is what makes them so good.

It shows when you have guys like Welker screwing up in the playoffs possibly because they don't know if that catch is going to cost them their contract or not.

And one more thing about spygate, you might not like it but it's a serious event. You guys were caught videotaping a team practice before the superbowl and were caught doing it years later against the Jets. Goodell had to lay down the biggest punishment on a Franchise I've seen in the last 20 years and you say it's something haters say???

Also, you elevated this from cap management to the entire front office. Colts managed their cap better than anybody, they made pieces fit with cap-wizardry teams could only dream of. Maybe if you guys had the Colts cap-managers to work it a little better you'd have Welker and Samuel still.

You're not even talking about the same season as me. When Manning missed a season he was still on our team, thus not dead cap. It's hard to talk to you because you jump around not even replying to what you're reading properly.

You says SB wins are the only thing that determines how good a Front Office is at managing the cap, so why don't you put the Ravens, Steelers, Giants in front of us, they all won more rings than us since 2000. You can't just say 3 SB wins, we're the best at everything about the Patriots, considering they only have 1 more than those teams and needed Spygate to do it.It shows when you have guys like Welker screwing up in the playoffs possibly because they don't know if that catch is going to cost them their contract or not.

And one more thing about spygate, you might not like it but it's a serious event. You guys were caught videotaping a team practice before the superbowl and were caught doing it years later against the Jets. Goodell had to lay down the biggest punishment on a Franchise I've seen in the last 20 years and you say it's something haters say???

Also, you elevated this from cap management to the entire front office. Colts managed their cap better than anybody, they made pieces fit with cap-wizardry teams could only dream of. Maybe if you guys had the Colts cap-managers to work it a little better you'd have Welker and Samuel still.

Where to being with this. Perhaps you not aware of this but the Pats have won the most games of any NFL franchise since Robert Kraft took over in the early nineties and second is not even close. In terms of the 2000's the Pats didn't just win rings, they also won their division every single year save for 2002 and the year Brady was out, 2008. They also own the record for most seasons with 14 wins or more and went a perfect 16-0 in 2007. You act like the Colts somehow have won more than the Pats. They haven't either regular season, post-season, and Super Bowls. This not disputable. Go look up the numbers.

I still can't believe how much mis-information people believe about spygate. The Pats were penalized for the location of their camera equipment being on the sideline. A memo was sent to all 32 teams in 2006 because it was a league-wide problem. The Jets blew the whistle the first game of 2007 and the Pats complied and paid the penalty and did not even so much as appeal. The story from the Herald about the Pats videotaping the Rams walkthrough was never proven with the videotape man, Matt Walsh, giving an interview with Roger Goodwell saying he was never asked or had any knowledge of taping a walkthrough. The reporter from the Herald who had reported the story also printed a full back page apology to the Patriots for his story which was founded upon heresay. Haters always seem to embelish spygate and blow it up to astronomical levels to try to somehow detract from the Pats success.

She caught the first touchdown thrown by Tom Brady. Terry Glenn

Ah thats it. She as labeled by Bill Parcells. Glenn missed the bus back from Buffalo (staying up there to party) and Pete Caroll benched him for a whole quarter. Next year when BB took over he got shown the door.

I guess he made some good catches with Dallas before fading. What a speedster though

Ah thats it. She as labeled by Bill Parcells. Glenn missed the bus back from Buffalo (staying up there to party) and Pete Caroll benched him for a whole quarter. Next year when BB took over he got shown the door.

I guess he made some good catches with Dallas before fading. What a speedster though

Imagine how good Glenn would have been with Brady? It always pains me to think about that. If he stays, we never go through the Branch saga but then again maybe we don't win two more rings either.

Where to being with this. Perhaps you not aware of this but the Pats have won the most games of any NFL franchise since Robert Kraft took over in the early nineties and second is not even close. In terms of the 2000's the Pats didn't just win rings, they also won their division every single year save for 2002 and the year Brady was out, 2008. They also own the record for most seasons with 14 wins or more and went a perfect 16-0 in 2007. You act like the Colts somehow have won more than the Pats. They haven't either regular season, post-season, and Super Bowls. This not disputable. Go look up the numbers.

I still can't believe how much mis-information people believe about spygate. The Pats were penalized for the location of their camera equipment being on the sideline. A memo was sent to all 32 teams in 2006 because it was a league-wide problem. The Jets blew the whistle the first game of 2007 and the Pats complied and paid the penalty and did not even so much as appeal. The story from the Herald about the Pats videotaping the Rams walkthrough was never proven with the videotape man, Matt Walsh, giving an interview with Roger Goodwell saying he was never asked or had any knowledge of taping a walkthrough. The reporter from the Herald who had reported the story also printed a full back page apology to the Patriots for his story which was founded upon heresay. Haters always seem to embelish spygate and blow it up to astronomical levels to try to somehow detract from the Pats success.

Goodell didn't burn the tapes, give Belichik the maximum fine of $500 000 which is also the largest fine against a coach ever, and force the Pats to give up their first round pick, over something that was a 'league wide,' problem. It would be very ignorant to believe Belichik just started doing this in 2007, that's just when he got caught.

Bledsoe to Glenn was an elite combo. It's hard to believe that without them, the Patriots won the Super Bowl anyway.

Goodell didn't burn the tapes, give Belichik the maximum fine of $500 000 which is also the largest fine against a coach ever, and force the Pats to give up their first round pick, over something that was a 'league wide,' problem. It would be very ignorant to believe Belichik just started doing this in 2007, that's just when he got caught.

It would also be naive to believe videotaping began with Belichick. Jimmie Johnson said he used to do it with the cowboys and that he was taught to do it the way the Pats did it. So, I would guess that Belichick got it from Parcells and that it has existed since videotape has existed just like signals have always been stolen since they have been in full view of everyone in the stadium. But the proof is in the pudding. The defensive signal taping was supposed to benefit Brady the most yet after spygate is when he became a dominant QB winning two league MVPs and setting the single season records for TDs and best TD/INT ratio of all time in 2010. One other thing to consider, the steelers, niners and cowboys dynasty teams never made it back to another SB after their SB runs. The Pats have made it back TWICE all post spygate and came within a couple of plays of winning both. They won their three SBs by a combined 9 points and lost the last two by a combined 7 points. I would put more stock into the videotaping if their success fell off the map, but in fact, they have a higher winning percentage post-spygate. Any reasonable football fan can see any benefit was negligible at best.

Who else has won more consecutive division championships and more regular season games from 2000-2010 than us?

If you hang your hat on "Spygate," which is entirely your prerogative, wouldn't it be better to actually know the facts?

The Patriots nearly sued the Boston Herald after they ran a Super Bowl walk-through story that proved to be completely and entirely false. The paper printed a page one retraction and apology, which is virtually unheard of in journalism.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/05/15/patriots_lawsuit_against_herald_appears_unlikely/

The Boston Herald's extraordinary front page apology yesterday to the New England Patriots appeared to defuse the threat of a potentially damaging lawsuit by the team over the paper's erroneous report that a Patriots employee videotaped their opponent's practice before the 2002 Super Bowl...

The link will take you to the full article.

Oh and congrats on those division championships.  :thmup: 

LOL.

Yeah, that's why that team became so top-heavy with the offense that the defense suffered for years.

This is so ridiculously wrong that it truly makes me question your football knowledge. The Patriots were never shown to videotape a walkthrough.