Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How did the Colts do in FA.

JoKeR

How do you rate our FA signings?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. We're our signings overall great, average, or a terrible

• Great, I couldn't be much happier with the signings
    • Average/ slightly above average, some questionable signings drop my overall opinion
    • Terrible. Can we have Bill Polian's son back, atleast!
    • I have no idea. In Grigson and Pagano I trust.

It's a risk regardless. Freeney has nothing to do with it.

Freeney has alot to do with risks all was willing to risk it last year what is the difference now? Are you lost in thought?Freeney was worth a risk to you for 19.5 million now Walden not worth 8 lol

Freeney has alot to do with risks all was willing to risk it last year what is the difference now? Are you lost in thought?Freeney was worth a risk to you for 19.5 million now Walden not worth 8 lol

You're not even making sense.

I'm not new to this forum I've been watching and strickly reading for YEARS now..but I can't take how so many ppl are like how did we do...or man I hate it...I'm tired of it....I go to work everyday and all I thinking about is what's going on....ill admit it ..at first I though krueger...alright but clif avril comon clif avril.....but with reading all the negative crap on here....let's all think back a few years ago especially when we kept going to new England and losing in the playoffs ...and the only thing that polian did was keep the status quo.....well I for one am exited to put some players back into the mix especially "dirty thirty" ...kind of like bob sanders only more athletic....let's just be happy that we did well and I mean well last yr ...and ee have such a good overall team look and " stagger" ( I like stagger beter than swag) ...especially defensively ...quit complaining and let some progress happen ....just cuz its not avril , Moore/reed, and vasquez doesn't mean we are going 2-12 again....I for one am pumped every day...especially for the draft being able to take the bpa ....can't wait for that landry jersey....GO BLUE

You're not even making sense.

Your saying 19.5 million gamble risk is better than an 8 million we could of bought a whole new o -line this year if we pushed freeneys money forward are you lost? Waldens 8 million is alot less of a gamble than what Freeney produced at 19.5 do you understand yet?

Your saying 19.5 million gamble risk is better than an 8 million we could of bought a whole new o -line this year if we pushed freeneys money forward are you lost? Waldens 8 million is alot less of a gamble than what Freeney produced at 19.5 do you understand yet?

Again, I don't understand your point. Regardless of what Freeney did a guy who's been terrible his entire career is a risk for an $8 million contract.

One thing is for sure.  It's not the old Polian staus quo any more.  Especially when it comes to the defense.  This year I'm more interested in seeing what the defense looks like on the field, as opposed to the offense.  Don't get me wrong, I still love the Colts offense.  It's just, this year there seems to be this intrigue building over the defense. 

I would put my opinion in between the top 2. I voted for average because I didn't want to say I "couldn't have been happier."

I like all of the signings and am looking forward to their impact next year, and I trust that most if not all were great choices.

Of course, like many others, I question the amount of money thrown at some people. But maybe Grigson thinks if you pay them like a winner, they will perform like one. Or perish. Contractually, of course...

I also voted average basically for similar reasons listed by Derakynn.

[b or B+] The Draft "should" move us into the A- range if;

1. Austin WR or Jones DE or Hankins DT or Williams DT

3. Bostic LB or Frederick G

4. Winters G or Harper WR...

OR

1. Trade

2. Warford G or Hopkins WR

3. Lemonier LB or Slay CB

4. Winters G, Harper WR...

How do know we didn't come away with a game changer? You don't think Landry can be a game changer? Francois with starter minutes could be a game changer. Even if teams sign a "name", that don't mean they'll be a game changer. Many times "game changers" have failed with new teams.

I would already consider Landry a game changer. I think he can only get better in our system and flourish especially now that he has a mid-long term home. Thomas and Cherilus could also be considered game changers, with them on the line Luck shouldn't be sacked 50,000 times especially with Costanzo hopefully progressing. If all pans out we could've brought in plenty of game changers.

I was so estatic with the first day but overall, especially after the dust settled it seems very solid. I've heard a sports writer from GB and AZ talk about the great potential both Erik and Toler have. I've personally always liked Landry and think he's a top SS. Took just a little bit of browsing and hearing from sports writers about how good some of these guys are & can be.

Ohhh and we also have the draft!! So many holes filled + dept added by the start of the season.

I would already consider Landry a game changer. I think he can only get better in our system and flourish especially now that he has a mid-long term home. Thomas and Cherilus could also be considered game changers, with them on the line Luck shouldn't be sacked 50,000 times especially with Costanzo hopefully progressing. If all pans out we could've brought in plenty of game changers.

I was so estatic with the first day but overall, especially after the dust settled it seems very solid. I've heard a sports writer from GB and AZ talk about the great potential both Erik and Toler have. I've personally always liked Landry and think he's a top SS. Took just a little bit of browsing and hearing from sports writers about how good some of these guys are & can be.

Ohhh and we also have the draft!! So many holes filled + dept added by the start of the season.

Our GM agrees with you Malakai432 "We’re ecstatic about this signing,’’ [Ryan] Grigson said in a statement released by the team. “We feel LaRon is an absolute game-changer and a true impact player. We’re talking about a 220-pound safety that runs 4.3 and plays to that speed. “His approach to the game and his style of play are lights out and embody the culture we’re building on the defense and this team in general." --INDYStar

Depth is fine. But, performance in a new system matters more. I will reserve my judgment for now. 

[b or B+] The Draft "should" move us into the A- range if;

1. Austin WR or Jones DE or Hankins DT or Williams DT

4. Winters G or Harper WR...

OR

1. Trade

2. Warford G or Hopkins WR

3. Lemonier LB or Slay CB

4. Winters G, Harper WR...

I'd like that very much.. in a draft that is filled with good talent but no great ones, and our current lack of picks,  i think trading out of the first round for a high 2nd and additional picks would be a smart thing to do..

All along, I've been cautiously optimistic.  I guess that plants me squarely in slot 2.  Grigs has been great, but not enough track record for me to emblazen "In Grigs I Trust" over everything.  I'm in watch and learn mode.  Hopefully next year I'm blowing his horn all over creation.  And some contract money on certain players I'm somewhat skeptical.  I hope all turn out to be above average contributors and one or two true stars.

Ultimately, what it boils down to is what long term damage it does to the Colts wallet. From that point of view, it is a great set of signings. From a point of view of filling critical positions, it is a great set of signings. From the winning point of view, it is hard to know at this point, it will just be guesses. To me, it is a good set of signings. 

Like Nobody said, my beef is again with Erik Walden, I felt we could have done better. If we forked up a couple more million a year, we could have gotten Barwin giving him the added incentive of going vs the Texans twice a year.

So, there should have been choices for great, good, average/above average, IMO. The difference between great and average/above average is significant enough, IMO.

I think we did great. It was absolutely no one i wanted when it began. I mean i dont go sit at Grigsons desk everyday and run a Football team. My drafts are always way off, too. Sometimes i think teams pick other players just to prove us wrong on our mock drafts. But now that its done, once again we see the Colts from a General Manager and Head Coaches point of view. I wanted Vasquez, didnt even know who Donald Thomas was, now that i do some reading on him, yeah good pick-up. Hes real wide. one source says "Offensive Linemen usually dont have the kind of muscle that he has." And he protected Brady with ease last year.  Im really happy with it. And Toler? there were 10 teams chasing him. For a reason more than what his stats imply. His videos show that hes really in-tune on every play. Hes a playmaker. I can see what they think of Walden, too. I see the Colts drafting Jamie Collins in the 1st. Him or Margus Hunt. I thought about CB but we are so good in our backfield now. wow. at least good enough that we can focus our need elsewhere with a 1st rd pick. Collins is an insane athlete. And Hunt would be a superb rotation with Moala and Redding and now Francois. wow. Im SOOOOOOOO glad they resigned Butler. I mean seriously, theyve done a REALLY good job in F/A so far. Thumbs up, Irsay:)

I abstain from voting, because I understand the potential of the acquisitions but I question the h-e double hockey sticks out of what we paid them.......

I'd say that's the second choice. Any " grey" answers are choice B

I put average because I find the Walden signing questionable.  An Landry and Toler have been known to be injury risks.  

However when healthy Landry, Toler, and Cherilus have all been solid players.  Walden I'm not so sure about.  

However I also don't presume to know what they are thinking and I hope they are smarter then me and that is why they have 7 figure salary's cool offices and quite frankly cool jobs while my salary . . . a lot less then 7 figures, and my office and job not nearly as cool.

So until they make a series of clearly bad decisions (that we can see where bad on the field) a part of me tells me that we have to trust they know what they are doing.  Last year's performance earned that trust.