Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How did the Colts do in FA.

JoKeR

How do you rate our FA signings?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. We're our signings overall great, average, or a terrible

• Great, I couldn't be much happier with the signings
    • Average/ slightly above average, some questionable signings drop my overall opinion
    • Terrible. Can we have Bill Polian's son back, atleast!
    • I have no idea. In Grigson and Pagano I trust.

I like what we have done the last few days. Definitely a better team now than we were a few days ago. Addressed the OL even though I think we could still use another guard. Also a much better secondary now. Happy with everything, just hope Walden was the right choice

I would put my opinion in between the top 2. I voted for average because I didn't want to say I "couldn't have been happier."

I like all of the signings and am looking forward to their impact next year, and I trust that most if not all were great choices.

Of course, like many others, I question the amount of money thrown at some people. But maybe Grigson thinks if you pay them like a winner, they will perform like one. Or perish. Contractually, of course...

I think we have done very well. The poker game that Grigson played the first day was great. I didn't realize it at the time, but he was letting all the free will spenders to overpay for everyone. Now that that has happened, some teams had to overpay to keep their own players, putting them out of the market for anyone. The Colts however, kept space for some of these cap casualties, or these players that were going to be signed but couldn't because of re-signing of other players. I was angry on Tuesday, but now, I think we have done very well.

I would put my opinion in between the top 2. I voted for average because I didn't want to say I "couldn't have been happier."

I like all of the signings and am looking forward to their impact next year, and I trust that most if not all were great choices.

Of course, like many others, I question the amount of money thrown at some people. But maybe Grigson thinks if you pay them like a winner, they will perform like one. Or perish. Contractually, of course...

That's a text book (B) choice. You didn't like the money spent, that would definitely be the 2nd choice.

This is how I feel as well.  But in all  honesty I don't really know and am simply placing my trust in Griggs and Pagano at this point.  There were only a couple players that we signed that I was even familiar with beforehand.  Landing Landry was the highlight for me as I have always admired the way that guy lays the wood.  I have warmed up to some of the others after reading a bit more about them.

With the Colts front office's track record, I trust that they know what they are doing.  I like the areas of the team that they have addressed thus far.  They have set themselves up well going into the draft.  They have a lot of flexibility to take the best player available who fills a need.  However, I have a gut feeling that they just might snag themselves a young WR stud in the first round.  This year's draft is deep in Olineman and we can find still find good quality there later.  But we'll see how it all plays out...Colts have some options now.  Going into the draft this year, I feel like it is just gravy and not nearly as make or break as in previous years.

I really liked their approach to free agency, even if only one of the names matched my wishlist....so I voted "trust Grigson and Pagano" and let these new guys play the game.

We'll know for sure after next season....but I did like the strategy of upgrading the 53-man roster in as many places as possible.

The moves are fine - some better than others.  We're a better team, yes.  However, for the money spent, I'm not convinced we are a significantly better team.  Time will tell.  Generally, I agree with the approach.  I was no fan of Polian's method of team-building.  That said, games still turn on a handful of plays - big plays on offense, sacks, forced fumbles, INTs on defense.  So, you still need game-changers and difference makers.  I just don't like to see any rigidness in approach that says we're only going to sign this level of free agent or that level of free agent.  And with 42 million available, you would hope to come away with at least one game-changing player. 

The moves are fine - some better than others.  We're a better team, yes.  However, for the money spent, I'm not convinced we are a significantly better team.  Time will tell.  Generally, I agree with the approach.  I was no fan of Polian's method of team-building.  That said, games still turn on a handful of plays - big plays on offense, sacks, forced fumbles, INTs on defense.  So, you still need game-changers and difference makers.  I just don't like to see any rigidness in approach that says we're only going to sign this level of free agent or that level of free agent.  And with 42 million available, you would hope to come away with at least one game-changing player. 

How do know we didn't come away with a game changer? You don't think Landry can be a game changer? Francois with starter minutes could be a game changer. Even if teams sign a "name", that don't mean they'll be a game changer. Many times "game changers" have failed with new teams.

I think we could've paid a little more and got Avril instead of Walden. Also would have liked to get Vasquez. He went cheap to the Broncos. Even if we offered a mil more a year for him it still would have been ok by me. Over all it ok pretty decent and we are in a nice position going into the draft. We can go bpa though I'd like a guard in the first.

How do know we didn't come away with a game changer? You don't think Landry can be a game changer? Francois with starter minutes could be a game changer. Even if teams sign a "name", that don't mean they'll be a game changer. Many times "game changers" have failed with new teams.

That's my opinion, which I was asked to give by the OP. 

You're a grown man.  Don't let a divergent viewpoint scare you.

I think we could've paid a little more and got Avril instead of Walden. Also would have liked to get Vasquez. He went cheap to the Broncos. Even if we offered a mil more a year for him it still would have been ok by me. Over all it ok pretty decent and we are in a nice position going into the draft. We can go bpa though I'd like a guard in the first.

Avril and Walden have completely different responsibilities. Staff wants Walden to seal the edge which is something Avril wasn't going to succeed at.

Why?   Not trying to stir up a ticking match.    But, in all honesty WHO would you have rather had at X price?    There is not anyone out there other than retreads, old guys,   or the "names" ...  Kruger or Avril.

If Walden doesn't work out then the Colts eat this years money and 1m per for the next 3 IF INDY cuts him.  No big risk.

Same as the other signings.   Nobody broke the bank.  

The Walden signing keeps this from being the first choice for me.

Indy still has a draft to go......

That's my opinion, which I was asked to give by the OP. 

You're a grown man.  Don't let a divergent viewpoint scare you.

Divergent viewpoints don't scare me, I'm just saying it's very possible we will get a couple a game changers out of these signings. You stated and I quote " And with 42 million available, you would hope to come away with at least one game-changing player." Thats not opinion, that sounds much more like you have doubt of the players we signed. So I simply asked how do you know that none of them can be game changers. It's just a simple question, nothing more nothing less.

No " terrible " votes yet, were basically all on the same page so far.

If you really don't like our FA moves, vote C, or the 3rd choice. Don't sugar coat it.

There's nothing wrong with your opinion other than I don't agree with it ( j/k)

I promise, no harm will come your way.

I went with great, We addressed many holes and upgraded others.

I'm with you. I think we nailed it. Could we have maybe gotten someone more highly coveted in a particular place. Possibly. But we addressed quite a few areas. Offensive line is much improved and dare I say our D could become a strength? We've been on the same page the last few days Balzer.

I LOVE the Laron Landry signing. I'm pretty on board with Cherilus and Thomas as well. If we draft a pass rusher ill be perfectly fine with Waldon too. He's good at setting the edge...Jean-Francois should be a solid starting DE for us, and at the very least provides us with depth.

I voted above average. If we had managed Vasquez/Levitre it would have been perfect. No complaints from me, tho

I'm with you. I think we nailed it. Could we have maybe gotten someone more highly coveted in a particular place. Possibly. But we addressed quite a few areas. Offensive line is much improved and dare I say our D could become a strength? We've been on the same page the last few days Balzer.

No doubt, I'm loving our defense right now.

I voted that they did great.  I think that most of the negative coments were due to "sticker shock" with a lot of the fans.  I think that for years the Colts fans were used to not being this active in FA.  So, because of that, they really didn't pay that close attention to what money was spent and how it corrolates to their teams budget.  This year was an eye opener for a lot of folks.  I think that if you want to upgrade, it's going to cost money.  Besides, I try not to think of the money spent.  I think of what the Colts truly needed and what (or who)  they just aquired.  Of course their health is an issue, but isn't that always an issue with most players?  I've listed my thoughts: 

Thomas - Good

Cherilus - Great

Toler - Good

Sidbury - not sure

Walden - Good

Landry - Great

RJF - Good

Why? Not trying to stir up a ticking match. But, in all honesty WHO would you have rather had at X price? There is not anyone out there other than retreads, old guys, or the "names" ... Kruger or Avril.

If Walden doesn't work out then the Colts eat this years money and 1m per for the next 3 IF INDY cuts him. No big risk.

Same as the other signings. Nobody broke the bank.

I'd rather have signed nobody. 8 million is a big risk on a player who has never been even decent.